Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

klafbang posted:

While it is easy to laugh at people for open S3 buckets, a lot of the blame should also go to Amazon. S3 buckets suck and access control is too complex. Just allow access without all of the IAM crap and service accounts already.

Yeah, there really needs to either be a "Tutorial on securing your bucket" or extremely tight restrictions put in by default.

Azure has the same issue IIRC with their version of buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, there really needs to either be a "Tutorial on securing your bucket" or extremely tight restrictions put in by default.

To be fair, Amazon does make buckets locked off by default and give you quite loud warnings if you try making them public. They just make it really, REALLY hard to make any kind of access control on, and people don't realize/care to build an API between the bucket and applications running on untrusted devices. Funnily enough, access control from EC2 is reasonably easy to set up.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
azure storage is also not public by default, although i have no idea what warnings show up if you try to make one public

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

amazon honey bucket

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

CommieGIR posted:

amazon tells you not to make it public and sends out emails regularly if you have public buckets to make sure you actually want those public

all the lifeguards in the world cant stop an idiot from making GBS threads in the pool.

people who do that poo poo deserve it, should be fired (and probably personally fined/jailed if its sensitive enough) and shouldn't be in charge of networked resources in general.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

There is a (bad) pattern where you host documents you share via special url.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/ShareObjectPreSignedURL.html

So you can't enumerate the contents of the bucket over http but if you happen to know the url is http://mys3bucket.amazonaws.com/deadbeef800835/doc.pdf you can download it.

People use this to grant access to docs without auth.

It's possible that this was the case here and someone put the list of these urls in public github :thumbsup:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
does amazon trip and ban you if you guess the wrong filename too many times, or can you write a script to just bang out numerous possible filenames

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

does amazon trip and ban you if you guess the wrong filename too many times, or can you write a script to just bang out numerous possible filenames

if you want to try to brute force a modern cryptographic signature, I doubt anyone’s going to bother to try and stop you

assuming you’re talking about the things the post above yours was talking about I mean. idk about random buckets

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What I do know is that Amazon S3 bucket names are globally unique (e.g. if I were to create a bucket called 'yospos' you wouldn't be able to), and that an API call to a private bucket that exists anywhere in the world but you don't have access to, returns a different error message than an API call to a bucket that doesn't exist at all.

So this way you could build up a list of private buckets that exist at some moment in time but I'd guess AWS would start throttling you at some point.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

these aren't just "is the filename right" but are signed URLs using your credentials, that are time based. you can even set the expiration time (which is encoded in the URL signed with your key) that lets you set the expiration as low as 1 minute.

nobody is ever going to guess it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Carbon dioxide posted:

What I do know is that Amazon S3 bucket names are globally unique (e.g. if I were to create a bucket called 'yospos' you wouldn't be able to), and that an API call to a private bucket that exists anywhere in the world but you don't have access to, returns a different error message than an API call to a bucket that doesn't exist at all.

So this way you could build up a list of private buckets that exist at some moment in time but I'd guess AWS would start throttling you at some point.

They don't throttle at all, I did this a while ago and also indexed contents and permissions where possible

https://twitter.com/hilare_belloc/status/1018922843290161154?s=19

https://twitter.com/hilare_belloc/status/1027622205062955008?s=19

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Kellner, da ist ein scheussliches Biest in meiner Suppe.

jre posted:

There is a (bad) pattern where you host documents you share via special url.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/ShareObjectPreSignedURL.html

So you can't enumerate the contents of the bucket over http but if you happen to know the url is http://mys3bucket.amazonaws.com/deadbeef800835/doc.pdf you can download it.

People use this to grant access to docs without auth.

It's possible that this was the case here and someone put the list of these urls in public github :thumbsup:

1. What is bad about presigned URLs? They are very useful.
2. Your example is not a presigned URL.
3. No this is not what happened. The bucket was public. That’s a bad pattern.

Sorry, mildly triggered AWS engineer here.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rufus Ping posted:

They don't throttle at all, I did this a while ago and also indexed contents and permissions where possible

yeah this is exactly what i was wondering about

hilarious

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Adhemar posted:

Sorry, mildly triggered AWS engineer here.

:agreed:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

:rip: me

quote:

We are reaching out to you directly as we have discovered that part of your order information was accessed by an unauthorized party. We can confirm that your payment information, password and account are safe, but your name, contact number, email and shipping address may have been exposed.

We took immediate steps to stop the intruder and reinforce security. Right now, we are working with the relevant authorities to further investigate this incident and protect your data.

We wanted to notify you of this so that you can be alert to people pretending to be OnePlus to get further information from you, or people asking you to buy products or services from them. OnePlus will never ask you for your passwords, and any financial information should only be provided via a secure payment page on the OnePlus website or one of our partners if you are buying products from us.

edit: I mean I assume oneplus is sending all my data to China already so this is not really much worse

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

these aren't just "is the filename right" but are signed URLs using your credentials, that are time based. you can even set the expiration time (which is encoded in the URL signed with your key) that lets you set the expiration as low as 1 minute.

nobody is ever going to guess it.

you can also do this locally with nginx btw, we used that at a previous job

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
s3 also suffers from its legacy security model where object acls and bucket acls are handled in a different way so a bucket can be private but objects might be public

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Hi everyone. A few years ago I asked you kind souls for book recommendations about cryptography and a very wise person suggested The Code Book by Simon Singh which rocked and I'm very grateful. There's something about the way that the book was written that really held my interest in a way that few books have. It's weird.

My question: Is there a book written in a similar style/tone about the history of cyberwarfare, or a sort of overview Nation/State activities in the space? Sorry if I'm dropping this in the wrong place and killing the vibe.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
secfuck: my vibe!

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Adhemar posted:

They give a false sense of security, anyone with the url can access the object.

quote:

It wasn't meant to be a real example because :effort:

quote:

What are you basing that statement on ? The only information in the article was

quote:

One of their repositories contained a script that included the URLs of PDFs hosted on unprotected Amazon servers. These URLs did not require authentication to access, and Motherboard was able to scrape them en masse
They don't talk about being able to list the bucket contents which led me to believe they might have been using pre-signed. If you have other info lets see it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jre posted:

until the presigned URL expires

but any kind of file hosting is just a false sense of security by that standard, since you can just share the other request headers needed to make the thing work

these leaks come from either indexes being enabled or predictable file names; if the file name starts with a big enough random enough thing it’s not an issue

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
direct object links are real because object acls take precedence over both bucket acls and bucket policies. it's hosed up and aws should have killed off the distinction between per object and per bucket permissions years ago

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.dataviper.io/blog/2019/pdl-data-exposure-billion-people/

public elasticsearch

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes. I got a hibp mail about this. I never gave those assholes any information, they just scraped it from the web somehow.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
from the tesla thread

TheFluff posted:

the powerwall 2 has some pretty amazing secfucks in it

it exposes a management web gui over wifi. the wifi password is trivial to guess based on the ssid (which is broadcasted, of course) and it's not possible to change it, nor to turn off the wifi

once you connect to wifi you can gently caress with the power metering in software to do all sorts of shenanigans; in fact it seems really easy to destroy/set fire to the unit :pwn:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

plausible deniability of arson secfuck

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

AARP LARPer posted:

Hi everyone. A few years ago I asked you kind souls for book recommendations about cryptography and a very wise person suggested The Code Book by Simon Singh which rocked and I'm very grateful. There's something about the way that the book was written that really held my interest in a way that few books have. It's weird.

My question: Is there a book written in a similar style/tone about the history of cyberwarfare, or a sort of overview Nation/State activities in the space? Sorry if I'm dropping this in the wrong place and killing the vibe.

I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned but I've recommended the book Dark Territory for people interested in the subject before and they enjoyed it.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

how is that a data breach when its just consolidating publicly accessible information people willing provide

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

power botton posted:

how is that a data breach when its just consolidating publicly accessible information people willing provide

because not all of it is publicly accessible:
a) at the present
b) ever at all
c) linked/assembled in a specific manner

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

power botton posted:

The HIBP guy wrote a blog post about it:

quote:

What's immediately obvious is the alignment to data I've consciously and deliberately published to LinkedIn so that it's publicly accessible. One look at my LinkedIn profile makes it very clear where much of this data has been sourced from so on the one hand, you could reasonably argue there's nothing either sensational nor particularly newsworthy about this breach. Yet on the other hand...

The recurring theme I'm finding with exposed data of this nature is increasing outrage that the data aggregator obtained and used personal information in a fashion the owner of the data (i.e. me) didn't consent to. It's not about how public the data might be through the channels people choose to publish it, rather it's about the use of the data outside its intended context.

Basically, he wanted to and it gets his site publicity/outrage shares. He backs his position with a Twitter poll responding to a different question.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

power botton posted:

because public/not public isn't a useful binary, you gotta consider if public data is in a big useful named bundle vs. scattered across a thousand pastebins it's more important to you

sure it only ever moves in one direction, but it's still good to know when "nebulous threat" becomes "immediate threat"

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

jre posted:

Yes, that’s literally the intended purpose of presigned URLs. That’s why they’re intended to be secret, should be time limited, and not stored anywhere, let alone in a public GitHub repo.

jre posted:

What are you basing that statement on ?

They don't talk about being able to list the bucket contents which led me to believe they might have been using pre-signed. If you have other info lets see it

I interpreted “unprotected Amazon servers” as non-techie speak for open buckets. Seems like other goons did too. :shrug:. Otherwise there were 160 separate presigned URLs stored in GitHub, and all of them had not yet expired. Seems less likely than just another open bucket.

If you’re right though,it would just be a spectacularly bad use of presigned URLs (see reasons above). They have legitimate use cases and are incredibly widely used. We even use them internally in our own AWS services.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Adhemar posted:

Yes, that’s literally the intended purpose of presigned URLs. That’s why they’re intended to be secret, should be time limited, and not stored anywhere, let alone in a public GitHub repo.

I interpreted “unprotected Amazon servers” as non-techie speak for open buckets. Seems like other goons did too. :shrug:. Otherwise there were 160 separate presigned URLs stored in GitHub, and all of them had not yet expired. Seems less likely than just another open bucket.

If you’re right though,it would just be a spectacularly bad use of presigned URLs (see reasons above). They have legitimate use cases and are incredibly widely used. We even use them internally in our own AWS services.

presigned urls aren't the only way to access objects in s3. every object has a canonical url and object acls, bucket acls, and bucket policies make it trivial to make those objects publicly accessible.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Adhemar posted:

Something I didn't realise was the max signature age is 7 days, so more likely to be unpredictable urls, rather than proper signed urls.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Rufus Ping posted:

Is there a bucket named mycrimes?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

power botton posted:

Imagine if someone made a website called "Is Power Botton home" and they point a camera at your house and publish graphs of what times you come and go. All that data is public, but you would be right to be mad that someone was aggregating, storing and publishing it.

Adhemar
Jan 21, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

presigned urls aren't the only way to access objects in s3. every object has a canonical url and object acls, bucket acls, and bucket policies make it trivial to make those objects publicly accessible.

I know, we can speculate what caused the breach all day long, that’s not why I chimed in.

Regardless of this WeWork breach, I just objected to jre’s statement that presigned URLs are inherently bad. They’re useful, but can be used poorly, like any feature.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

presigned urls are the best

we're able to run a massive document ingestion pipeline because our on-prem component signals its intent to send data to our edge services which generate presigned urls to send the docs

gently caress ingesting petabytes through a service which has to be scaled exponentially

let aws do it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

presigned urls are how you should be granting external access to data in s3

they're inherently timeboxed and are narrowly scoped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

A Man With A Plan posted:

I'm not familiar with the book you mentioned but I've recommended the book Dark Territory for people interested in the subject before and they enjoyed it.

Thank you for the recommendation. I’ll start there.