Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got an email for lifetime plex pass for $89 so the low of $75 from before is probably a thing of the past, dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This the one? It's new subscribers only, but it doesn't sound like it's taken over from the old deal and is just a one off offer.

quote:

Happy birthday to us! Ten years ago, we hired our first Plex employee and officially incorporated as the little media company that could. To celebrate, we’re offering brand spanking new Lifetime Plex Passes* rolled back to 25% off! Available for a limited time. Use code: PLEX4LIFE at checkout

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Came to ask if PlexPass is worth it at that price. I know of the separate user in an account feature like Netflix has so that I don't always see a big In Progress episode of Desperate Housewives up top. Anything else worth $90?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Mobile sync is the only feature I am really interested in. My current process is just copy movies/tv to my tablet via SMB share whenever I am traveling.

If I subscribe to Plex pass, do any/all remote users on my server have the ability to do mobile sync as well?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Came to ask if PlexPass is worth it at that price. I know of the separate user in an account feature like Netflix has so that I don't always see a big In Progress episode of Desperate Housewives up top. Anything else worth $90?

If you share your plex server with a lot of people, PlexPass enables the server to do hardware transcoding. You also get access to the apps on both iOS and Android (they are normally a separate purchase).

I had PlexPass for a year, and it lapsed a few months ago. To be honest, the only feature I have really missed was on-the-fly subtitle downloads in the client. Other than that, I haven't even noticed it was missing.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Individual local user profiles are handy as part of the Pass, in the event you have multiple family members or kids that use it, since you can have individual watched statuses and library restrictions on a single account. I can't imagine switching between multiple Plex accounts is particularly convenient.

For something that my family has used almost daily for close to 10 years, $90 bucks is a steal.

Stockwell fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 20, 2019

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

stevewm posted:

If you share your plex server with a lot of people, PlexPass enables the server to do hardware transcoding. You also get access to the apps on both iOS and Android (they are normally a separate purchase).

I had PlexPass for a year, and it lapsed a few months ago. To be honest, the only feature I have really missed was on-the-fly subtitle downloads in the client. Other than that, I haven't even noticed it was missing.

I don't know much about transcoding. How does it work now if my friends are all trying to watch at once?

Stockwell posted:

Individual local user profiles are handy as part of the Pass, in the event you have multiple family members or kids that use it, since you can have individual watched statuses and library restrictions on a single account. I can't imagine switching between multiple Plex accounts is particularly convenient.

For something that my family has used almost daily for close to 10 years, $90 bucks is a steal.

Eh it's just my fiancee, but maybe that would be more important if I'm using it in 5 years or something so a future kid can watch cartoons.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Moey posted:

Mobile sync is the only feature I am really interested in. My current process is just copy movies/tv to my tablet via SMB share whenever I am traveling.

If I subscribe to Plex pass, do any/all remote users on my server have the ability to do mobile sync as well?

I was considering subscription just for mobile sync, but I saw a thread on Reddit the other day where people were almost universally saying they had major issues with mobile sync not working correctly. Half downloaded episodes, etc. Not sure if anyone here has had similar experiences, but it really turned me off from upgrading to a lifetime pass.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I don't know much about transcoding. How does it work now if my friends are all trying to watch at once?

Depends on their settings. Pretty much all the plex clients on every platform default to 2Mbps for Remote Streaming. So it is highly likely any of your friends are causing your server to transcode when they watch. This causes higher power usage, and could cause some performance issues depending on the hardware running your plex server.

Not transcoding is preferable if both your friends and your internet can handle it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It’s wild that I only paid $99 for software that I have used every single day for over 5 years now.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

stevewm posted:

Depends on their settings. Pretty much all the plex clients on every platform default to 2Mbps for Remote Streaming. So it is highly likely any of your friends are causing your server to transcode when they watch. This causes higher power usage, and could cause some performance issues depending on the hardware running your plex server.

Not transcoding is preferable if both your friends and your internet can handle it.

So the server is already transcoding for them and transcoding is bad? Why is it a benefit that PlexPass allows for hardware transcoding then? Does that mean their hardware instead of my server hardware?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

KingKapalone posted:

So the server is already transcoding for them and transcoding is bad? Why is it a benefit that PlexPass allows for hardware transcoding then? Does that mean their hardware instead of my server hardware?

On-the-fly transcoding used to be like THE feature of Plex, but nowadays client devices support a broad spectrum of codecs that allow them to play content back without requiring a server transcode. The only limiting factor that induces server transcodes these days is internet speeds for remote clients.

Ideally, if there's enough internet bandwidth available and your friends have client devices that support the codecs your media has been encoded in (likely), your friends can play back content from your Plex server directly with no transcoding/quality degradation. That said, Plex transcoding is still pretty baller and the quality is really good, even if it has to transcode down a 20 Mbps 1080p file to 4 Mbps 720p. As mentioned, this requires more power, thus putting more tax on your Plex server CPU. Having a Plex pass enables Hardware Transcoding, which helps alleviate some of that power tax.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

KingKapalone posted:

Basically offloads transcoding to dedicated hardware on your PC which is much more capable of handling it than your processor, which in turn frees up your CPU for other stuff. I think if your processor supports Intel Quick Sync Video it'll work, and some video cards can handle it as well, as far as I'm aware.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I was considering subscription just for mobile sync, but I saw a thread on Reddit the other day where people were almost universally saying they had major issues with mobile sync not working correctly. Half downloaded episodes, etc. Not sure if anyone here has had similar experiences, but it really turned me off from upgrading to a lifetime pass.

I don't use it often but I haven't had any problems with sync in a long time now. I use it primarily to load poo poo onto a wifi-only iPad for road trips. So much nicer than the old days of running poo poo through handbrake and then iTunes.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I tend to watch a lot of stuff on my phone so I always use mobile sync. My home PC is my
Plex server, and it’s only on when I am at home, so when it turns on things I’ve watched sync up and then new episodes transcode and download. I’ve had very few problems with mobile sync. The half episode problems I can think of have only happened once maybe? I do have really fast internet though, so maybe people have problems downloading large files and they get messed up?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone else seen the new feature that brings up soundtracks for movies and episodes? It’s actually pretty cool, despite the fact that it relies on Tidal (but at least gives you previews and listings for free).

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

teagone posted:

On-the-fly transcoding used to be like THE feature of Plex, but nowadays client devices support a broad spectrum of codecs that allow them to play content back without requiring a server transcode. The only limiting factor that induces server transcodes these days is internet speeds for remote clients.

Ideally, if there's enough internet bandwidth available and your friends have client devices that support the codecs your media has been encoded in (likely), your friends can play back content from your Plex server directly with no transcoding/quality degradation. That said, Plex transcoding is still pretty baller and the quality is really good, even if it has to transcode down a 20 Mbps 1080p file to 4 Mbps 720p. As mentioned, this requires more power, thus putting more tax on your Plex server CPU. Having a Plex pass enables Hardware Transcoding, which helps alleviate some of that power tax.

God forbid I have a few 10tbs in an MKV container and my pals like the fire tv.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I want to almost-but-not-quite duplicate my server, and I think the "move your Plex installation" guide isn't quite what I need. Specifically, I'm going to set up another PMS for remote streaming at my brother's place because his 'net connection is so much better than mine, but I'm keeping my server running because it's fine for use in the house and it's easier to manage. I don't need to duplicate all the server settings like the guide will perform, but the 2nd server is going to have a duplicate copy of the media, and I'd like to keep the library customizations (manual matches, collections, edited entries, etc.) What files should I copy over to achieve this?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Anyone else having any trouble manually fixing match on things? Just downloaded season 3 of the US version of No Activity and I'm getting the spinny wheel of nothing when trying to search for matches., no matter which agent I pick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TVDB has been a mess since they changed over to a new version so it’s likely fallout from that. Plex rolled out a hotfix today, so make sure you’re up to date (this might be plexpass only mind, and don’t rely on plex telling you you’re up to date if you’ve not done an upgrade in a while).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

TVDB has been a mess since they changed over to a new version so it’s likely fallout from that. Plex rolled out a hotfix today, so make sure you’re up to date (this might be plexpass only mind, and don’t rely on plex telling you you’re up to date if you’ve not done an upgrade in a while).

I'm on Plexpass and the issue persists after an update. I'll just chalk it up to TVDB being fucky today.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
To everyone who's asking "Is Plex Pass worth it?". I have had Plex Pass for almost 6 years, yes it is worth it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I'm on Plexpass and the issue persists after an update. I'll just chalk it up to TVDB being fucky today.

It's been hosed for a week and I can't match any TV shows at all.

I moved over my whole library the day everything went to poo poo and I'm missing all my posters still.

There's a megathread related to it
https://forums.plex.tv/t/thetvdb-metadata-v3-api-and-related-issues/491771

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Sonarr updated some of my posters and titles are now in Russian. That must explain that.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

For a brief, shining moment Plex did the thing it was supposed to do very dependably with a mostly idiot-proof setup. Such things aren't meant to last, I guess.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Brief? Have there been problems in the past 5 years that have had to be manually resolved?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with Plex' inability to play .avi files?

My wife and I got in the mood to watch some real lovely but nostalgic 80s sitcoms so we put every episode of "My Two Dads" and "Out of this World" on Plex, only for Plex to fail at playing every single one of them. The files played absolutely fine in VLC so it's not like they were corrupted or anything. So I had the annoying task of having to convert every single one of them in Handbrake; all 110 goddamn episodes. Now they all play fine. But then just today I tried to watch an old season 2 episode of Tosh.0, and Plex will not play it (I just get the loading circle indefinitely). I check and yep, it's an .avi file. Same thing with all my CKY videos, too. AVIs. Plex refuses to play them.

My server is a brand new i7 7400k so it's definitely not the CPU or anything. I get that a really obscure or wonky codec will require this but it's getting to be an enormous part of my collection and a monumental pain in the rear end. Is there any way around this other than re-converting all this stuff? I also hate the idea of reconverting "rare" video. It's technically going to reduce the quality a little bit unless I want 900 MB episodes of SD content.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Nov 24, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

AVI isn't a codec; it's just a container format, like MKV, MOV, or MP4, and shouldn't cause playback issues. It's likely whatever codec used to encode the files you have is giving Plex issues. Maybe they're like DivX files? or XviD? Something else? Throwing them into Handbrake isn't just changing the container, I'm guessing whatever profile you're using is also converting the original codec the files were encoded in to H264/mpeg4/etc.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

What's the deal with Plex' inability to play .avi files?

My wife and I got in the mood to watch some real lovely but nostalgic 80s sitcoms so we put every episode of "My Two Dads" and "Out of this World" on Plex, only for Plex to fail at playing every single one of them. The files played absolutely fine in VLC so it's not like they were corrupted or anything. So I had the annoying task of having to convert every single one of them in Handbrake; all 110 goddamn episodes. Now they all play fine. But then just today I tried to watch an old season 2 episode of Tosh.0, and Plex will not play it (I just get the loading circle indefinitely). I check and yep, it's an .avi file. Same thing with all my CKY videos, too. AVIs. Plex refuses to play them.

My server is a brand new i7 7400k so it's definitely not the CPU or anything. I get that a really obscure or wonky codec will require this but it's getting to be an enormous part of my collection and a monumental pain in the rear end. Is there any way around this other than re-converting all this stuff? I also hate the idea of reconverting "rare" video. It's technically going to reduce the quality a little bit unless I want 900 MB episodes of SD content.
It's entirely likely the client is trying to direct-play them, but can't, as they're a depreciated format and it doesn't understand what's going on. Instead of letting them direct-play, just force a transcode when you play it - it *should* just re-stream the same video/audio streams within a container the player recognises (direct-stream).
If that doesn't work, you can re-mux them without losing any quality with FFmpeg
code:
./ffmpeg -i <path to input file> -codec copy <path to output file with .mkv extension>

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Plex is capable of direct playing streaming a file in the AVI container format, provided it's containing a supported codec. https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/

Remuxing the files to change the container to MKV might not help if the codec used to encode was something ancient.

[edit] That said, I remux using mkvtoolnix since I prefer a gui to command line.

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 24, 2019

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

I'm having a weird playback problem with some of my DVD and Blu-ray rips when I cast them to Chromecast Ultra or play in the web player. They look fine, but when I turn on the subtitles the picture becomes garbled:

Phone playback is not affected. Only some of the rips become garbled. I don't have a lot of experience either with Plex or media ripping, so I have no idea where to look. I have the latest Plex for Synology on the default settings, the rips are prepared with MakeMkv and Don Melton's video_transcode wrapper. The command line options are
code:
--preset veryslow --filter decomb --add-subtitle all --add-audio all --no-log
How can I fix my rips?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm getting tired of the Tizen apps on my Samsung tv and was going to add either a Roku Ultra or an Apple TV 4k. How much of a pain in the rear end is Plex on Apple TV these days? Is it going to be mostly transcoding?

Most of my Plex content is H264 video, with audio being a mix of AAC/AC3/DTS (I generally tried to include both AAC/AC3 or AAC/DTS where possible, but not every file has AAC).

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 24, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Audio will transcode a fair amount of the time, video will be direct. A lot of the audio transcode is done on the Apple TV these days too.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Maneki Neko posted:

I'm getting tired of the Tizen apps on my Samsung tv and was going to add either a Roku Ultra or an Apple TV 4k. How much of a pain in the rear end is Plex on Apple TV these days? Is it going to be mostly transcoding?

Most of my Plex content is H264 video, with audio being a mix of AAC/AC3/DTS (I generally tried to include both AAC/AC3 or AAC/DTS where possible, but not every file has AAC).

Go for the Roku Ultra over the Apple TV. It supports more codecs natively so there will be less transcoding. The Roku Remote is also just better. Its more user friendly and just works. It's also 50% the price of the Apple TV 4k.

I'm pretty deep in the Apple Ecosystem (iPhone, Macbook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad Pro) and I still prefer the Roku Ultra over the Apple TV.

Even if they cost the same, I would STILL buy the Roku Ultra.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

With that new Plex playback engine + the option of using an alternate client like Infuse to direct play nearly anything, the AppleTV definitely doesn't lose out on codec support.

I just don't like the AppleTV's trackpad remote.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

AVI isn't a codec; it's just a container format, like MKV, MOV, or MP4, and shouldn't cause playback issues. It's likely whatever codec used to encode the files you have is giving Plex issues. Maybe they're like DivX files? or XviD? Something else? Throwing them into Handbrake isn't just changing the container, I'm guessing whatever profile you're using is also converting the original codec the files were encoded in to H264/mpeg4/etc.

Khablam posted:

It's entirely likely the client is trying to direct-play them, but can't, as they're a depreciated format and it doesn't understand what's going on. Instead of letting them direct-play, just force a transcode when you play it - it *should* just re-stream the same video/audio streams within a container the player recognises (direct-stream).
If that doesn't work, you can re-mux them without losing any quality with FFmpeg
code:
./ffmpeg -i <path to input file> -codec copy <path to output file with .mkv extension>

teagone posted:

Plex is capable of direct playing streaming a file in the AVI container format, provided it's containing a supported codec. https://support.plex.tv/articles/203810286-what-media-formats-are-supported/

Remuxing the files to change the container to MKV might not help if the codec used to encode was something ancient.

[edit] That said, I remux using mkvtoolnix since I prefer a gui to command line.

For whatever reason, Plex refused to play the videos even if I told it to not do direct playback. Regardless, thanks so much for this info. I'm going to remux all the videos. This thread rocks!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Apple TV directly plays almost everything from my Plex server on my network. I have a Roku in the bedroom, and while it's better than a Fire Stick, I can't help but feel like the Apple TV is a much better overall experience.

I've heard Infuse is better for things like HDR tone mapping, but the only real downside about the Apple TV is the the fact that it doesn't currently allow Atoms passthrough for local content - Infuse has been telling people to submit feedback requests to Apple about it: https://firecore.com/forum/topic/20983

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Small update: I used mkvtoolnix to "convert" my shows from .AVI to .MKV and they all work! Thanks so much for recommending that course of action/that program.

My only question is: why did this fix the issue? It's obviously not the codec that was the problem.

edit: I added all of the episodes that I needed to remux in mkvtoolnix and it just made one gigantic 6GB video file for the entire season. How do I tell the program to not do that? I want each episode to be remuxed. Not combine them all into one gigantic file. Do I have to do this one file at a time? That will take forever.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 25, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Small update: I used mkvtoolnix to "convert" my shows from .AVI to .MKV and they all work! Thanks so much for recommending that course of action/that program.

My only question is: why did this fix the issue? It's obviously not the codec that was the problem.

edit: I added all of the episodes that I needed to remux in mkvtoolnix and it just made one gigantic 6GB video file for the entire season. How do I tell the program to not do that? I want each episode to be remuxed. Not combine them all into one gigantic file. Do I have to do this one file at a time? That will take forever.

I legit have no idea why just changing the container works when Plex's transcoder is meant to remux containers to MP4 if the codecs are supported. Plex is weird sometimes :shrug:

Also, you can queue up jobs in mkvtoolnix and press go to automate. You still have to drop in each file 1 by 1, but once they're all loaded in, press go and it'll spit out all the remuxed MKVs.

[edit] To queue up jobs, hit Ctrl+N to create a new one, add the files to remux, then add it to the job queue. Once you've done that for all your files, start the queue and it'll remux all the files one after the other.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

I legit have no idea why just changing the container works when Plex's transcoder is meant to remux containers to MP4 if the codecs are supported. Plex is weird sometimes :shrug:

Also, you can queue up jobs in mkvtoolnix and press go to automate. You still have to drop in each file 1 by 1, but once they're all loaded in, press go and it'll spit out all the remuxed MKVs.

[edit] To queue up jobs, hit Ctrl+N to create a new one, add the files to remux, then add it to the job queue. Once you've done that for all your files, start the queue and it'll remux all the files one after the other.

Thanks so much but I followed these steps to a T and it's not making them separate files. It just keeps making one huge MKV file with all the videos jammed in it.

edit: I am not being lazy. I am looking all over the program for a way for it to spit out the files separately. The only options I see are to separate by MB and other useless stuff:

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 25, 2019