Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

tater_salad posted:

Google says it shouldn't be doing this, so either a whoops or bad support agent.

They really need to have some top tier agents on this poo poo since every single thing that they say as a negative gets tossed around the internet like some kind of Stacey.

Gotta be honest dude, I appreciate that you're shooting down bullshit complaints with evidence because it's unfair to judge them based on illegitimate statements... but this would not have been nearly as much of a problem if they had just told us all these things before it launched. Instead they just left it a mystery product until the day it launched just like the rest of their product/service releases and it would've saved them a lot of trouble to be more clear and open.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the threads most ardent stadia supporter believed rdr2 would be 4k 60 fps until the day it launched

the biggest of google lies

but i still appreciate all the hilarious other ways google is failing, keep it coming

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
GamersNexus figures for latency testing (published about an hour ago) show that plugging the controller into a PC via USB and running Stadia that way seems to result in noticably lower response times than using the controller wirelessly while playing via an Ethernet wired Chromecast Ultra. I guess Google's claims about the direct connection from controller to server being better didn't really hold up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Bofast posted:

GamersNexus figures for latency testing (published about an hour ago) show that plugging the controller into a PC via USB and running Stadia that way seems to result in noticably lower response times than using the controller wirelessly while playing via an Ethernet wired Chromecast Ultra. I guess Google's claims about the direct connection from controller to server being better didn't really hold up.

Yea wired is always going to be faster. A more like for like test would be stadia controller vs. bluetooth but if I remember correctly they don't allow that at all.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Yea wired is always going to be faster. A more like for like test would be stadia controller vs. bluetooth but if I remember correctly they don't allow that at all.

Wait why would that be faster. The laptop / chromecast would be wirelessly connected anyway. What Google promised was that your controller was directly connected over WiFi skipping the step of connecting through a device that was also connected with WiFi.

Controller (wire) PC (WiFi) Router (???) Stadia
vs
Controller (WiFi) Router (???) Stadia

They walked back the WiFi promise for most use cases. But the chromecast WiFi connection should still hold.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doingitwrong posted:

Wait why would that be faster. The laptop / chromecast would be wirelessly connected anyway. What Google promised was that your controller was directly connected over WiFi skipping the step of connecting through a device that was also connected with WiFi.

Controller (wire) PC (WiFi) Router (???) Stadia
vs
Controller (WiFi) Router (???) Stadia

They walked back the WiFi promise for most use cases. But the chromecast WiFi connection should still hold.

Atomizer posted:

(Note that these two devices are both wired in the same room to the same Ethernet switch.)

Wifi has a ton of overhead that can add latency. There's a constant dance of negotiation because only 1 thing can be on the air at a time. It's not much latency on average, but it's not stable because sometimes a problem with negotiation can add 20 or 100 ms of wait time. OTOH a USB connection only adds a few ms of latency over the wire, so if the computer or whatever is quick about turning the controller's command around it may not be significant.

These things are going to be very context dependent though. If you have the ideal environment for wifi -- no neighbors and no other devices active -- cutting out that middleman probably shaves off a trivial about of time. But the other and more normal case is cluttered APs from neighbors and multiple devices on the wifi.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

Bofast posted:

Oh, were they able to find a phone that wasn't 8 years old?

As far as how the service works in less than ideal conditions (my home is about as ideal as it gets and it's perfect), I've tried it out this weekend while visiting the in-laws. They are not in a major urban area, 3 hrs to the nearest city. I'm on a poo poo DSL+wifi setup, 20mbps down and my ping is 70-100ms, with a bit of jitter.

Destiny and Grid were solidly playable for me, but definitely not excellent. Input lag was very very tolerable for most of my play, minus a few short hiccups. I wouldn't say it would be great for PvP, but for most single player games it works.

This is part of what makes the service great, in my opinion. I can take my controller anywhere and use it on any screen and it works. That convenience factor is pretty powerful.

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 24, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Wait why would that be faster. The laptop / chromecast would be wirelessly connected anyway.

I was assuming the PC was a wired connection

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Yea I just watched the video it's all ethernet

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atomizer posted:

I believe the Google retaliation that you described, but I was asking if the original scenario (i.e. the conditions that led to the retaliation) involved the codecs & hardware acceleration situation that I mentioned.
I found the original post and unfortunately I don't think it digs into the codec use the way you want:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18697824 posted:

"For example, they may start integrating technologies for which they have exclusive, or at least 'special' access. Can you imagine if all of a sudden Google apps start performing better than anyone else's?"
This is already happening. I very recently worked on the Edge team, and one of the reasons we decided to end EdgeHTML was because Google kept making changes to its sites that broke other browsers, and we couldn't keep up. For example, they recently added a hidden empty div over YouTube videos that causes our hardware acceleration fast-path to bail (should now be fixed in Win10 Oct update). Prior to that, our fairly state-of-the-art video acceleration put us well ahead of Chrome on video playback time on battery, but almost the instant they broke things on YouTube, they started advertising Chrome's dominance over Edge on video-watching battery life. What makes it so sad, is that their claimed dominance was not due to ingenious optimization work by Chrome, but due to a failure of YouTube. On the whole, they only made the web slower.
Now while I'm not sure I'm convinced that YouTube was changed intentionally to slow Edge, many of my co-workers are quite convinced - and they're the ones who looked into it personally. To add to this all, when we asked, YouTube turned down our request to remove the hidden empty div and did not elaborate further.
And this is only one case.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Here's something that baffles me:

The Project xCloud beta is free (as any beta should be). I tried it out on my phone, because like hundreds of millions of people, I have an android phone. It worked well enough, and there are a bunch of actually great games included with the service. Neat. I even reported a bug or two.

I have an nVidia Shield with GeForce Now streaming. It too is a free beta. It's got a gigantic library of full priced, current titles. It pretty much works fine.

Stadia is not free. I can't try it out on any of my existing hardware, because my LG V30 isn't a Pixel. If I want to play anything other than free to play games on the service, I need to pay full price for the title. I can never sell or trade that license, and if I cancel the service, there is no refund. From all accounts, if you can get it to work, it works fine, but the support is hot garbage when it exists at all.

Why (the gently caress) would anyone pay for this? How is this competitive in any reasonable way? The experience is objectively less mature than two of its direct competitors which are in free public beta right now. I'm honestly asking.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

As far as how the service works in less than ideal conditions (my home is about as ideal as it gets and it's perfect), I've tried it out this weekend while visiting the in-laws. They are not in a major urban area, 3 hrs to the nearest city. I'm on a poo poo DSL+wifi setup, 20mbps down and my ping is 70-100ms, with a bit of jitter.

Destiny and Grid were solidly playable for me, but definitely not excellent. Input lag was very very tolerable for most of my play, minus a few short hiccups. I wouldn't say it would be great for PvP, but for most single player games it works.

This is part of what makes the service great, in my opinion. I can take my controller anywhere and use it on any screen and it works. That convenience factor is pretty powerful.

lol

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
70-100ms of latency “with hiccups” does not sound “solidly playable”.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Destiny and Grid were solidly playable for me, but definitely not excellent. Input lag was very very tolerable for most of my play, minus a few short hiccups.

for someone who seems to be going out of their way to defend their purchase itt, you're really not making this sound like an appealing experience for the vast majority of Americans.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

this is very clearly and obviously a way to goose demand for Google Fiber and put some corporate will behind expanding it, now that it's otherwise basically stalled out

This is a fine sounding conspiracy theory in a vacuum, but falls apart if you understand the US telco monopoly network. Google's "corporate will", manpower and cash on hand are less than 1% of the problem with expanding Google Fiber. It's entirely a political problem, and not a single player is working with the consumer's best interest in mind, least of all Google.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have an nVidia Shield with GeForce Now streaming. It too is a free beta. It's got a gigantic library of full priced, current titles. It pretty much works fine.

Hi fellow Geforce Now user! I've noticed that in the weeks leafing up to Stadia's release getting on a rig took a long time, but since Stadias release it's been nearly instant every time. Have you noticed this too, and I wonder if it's connected to the release...

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

I'm baffled at how much Google lied/oversold their tech. Their sales pitch was that games would run better than any single PC with the power of the cloud but can only run RDR2 at 4K/30FPS. It seems the reviews on Football Manager are mixed as well.

My hunch is that Sony will end up having a huge share of the streaming market that develops. PSNow has been around forever, they are starting to advertise it, and I imagine they will push it hard along with the PS5. I played MGS4 on PSNow and it worked fine 3 years ago. It wasn't optimal, but I didn't have a PS3 at the time. If Sony sells it being able to play your library on the go /PS5 games on your PS4 with a subscription they will eat Google's lunch. They might not, as the streaming market might be fairly small.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Bofast posted:

Ok I just watched the full GN vid and the difference is not just noticeable, it's a consistent 25 or 50ms. That's huge! I was wrong, that is not explainable just from wifi latency!

options I can think of:

1. This is a beta and the controller isn't actually doing the direct connection to the servers yet. Instead it is connecting to the chromecast via wifi, and the chromecast is processing and sending the commands to the server. And that explains why you have to use it wired with anything else: without the chromecast it's still just a dumb controller.

2. The controller is connecting directly to the server, but it sucks as an independent device and takes 10s of ms to go from input to sending the packet.

3. Something else; why did Thumper only have 25ms of latency while everything else was way worse? Thumper had the best latency results across the board since the other 3 titles seemed to run at 30fps or even worse. But I can't understand why the additional wifi latency would be proportionate, unless the controls are somehow also being put in packets tied to framerate?

Hypothesis #1 could be tested by examining what's happening on the network.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm pretty sure option 1 is currently true and coming later. You need to wire the controller to anything not the Chromecast Ultra.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

So, wait: do you HAVE to have an android phone to use this? Like, as an iPhone user, would I be unable to use Stadia if I decided, for some reason, to buy one?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As of right now the storefront where you set up the device and buy games is Android only I believe.

edit; there's an iOS app.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Presenting Nipples posted:

I'm baffled at how much Google lied/oversold their tech. Their sales pitch was that games would run better than any single PC with the power of the cloud but can only run RDR2 at 4K/30FPS. It seems the reviews on Football Manager are mixed as well.

My hunch is that Sony will end up having a huge share of the streaming market that develops. PSNow has been around forever, they are starting to advertise it, and I imagine they will push it hard along with the PS5. I played MGS4 on PSNow and it worked fine 3 years ago. It wasn't optimal, but I didn't have a PS3 at the time. If Sony sells it being able to play your library on the go /PS5 games on your PS4 with a subscription they will eat Google's lunch. They might not, as the streaming market might be fairly small.

It actually only runs RDR2 at 1440p/30FPS and it appears to be at mostly medium settings but they send you a 4k video of it.

My 3 year old GTX 1070 can apparently run RDR2 better than The Power of the Cloud.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 24, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Stadia RDR2 is 1440/55fps actually.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

American McGay posted:

Okay, well, my 3 year old 1070 still matches that at a mixture of medium and high settings.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Marmaduke! posted:

Hi fellow Geforce Now user! I've noticed that in the weeks leafing up to Stadia's release getting on a rig took a long time, but since Stadias release it's been nearly instant every time. Have you noticed this too, and I wonder if it's connected to the release...

Honestly, I mostly use my Shield for streaming MHW from my PC to my living room, I haven't actually logged into Geforce Now since I played through Spec Ops: The Line and bummed myself out real hard.

edit: which, incidentally, looked and played fine at 1080p with the usual expected input lag and streaming artifacts. I never noticed any major stuttering or hitches with that game, nor with Resident Evil 7, MK11 or Prey.

edit2: all of which you have been able to play for free for years now, which is crazy.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 24, 2019

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
The controller is connected directly through the wifi, it doesn't connect to the Chromecast

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

The controller is connected directly through the wifi, it doesn't connect to the Chromecast
I understand that this is how it's supposed to work but if that's how it's working currently then that's an indictment against the service. Google touted it as some innovative game changing tech to help reduce input lag but tests have shown it's actually worse than a standard wired connection.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it also overheats and shuts down due to really poor thermal design.

the solution is (i am not making this up) to tape heatsinks to the case.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it also overheats and shuts down due to really poor thermal design.

the solution is (i am not making this up) to tape heatsinks to the case.

The solution is wait for the rubes to betatest and buy revision 2

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
That's making the sizeable assumption that google doesn't get distracted by a passing butterfly and forget any of this exists in 6 months time

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

limaCAT posted:

The solution is wait for the rubes to betatest and buy revision 2

chromecast has had overheating issues forever, google just doesn't give a poo poo

8 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/b6l9bn/i_found_the_perfect_heat_sink_for_my_overheating/
16 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/comments/92eg11/had_overheating_issues_with_the_chromecast_not/
28 months ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/6qiu82/chromecast_ultra_tearing_itself_apart_due_to_heat/

even the original 1080p chromecast had overheating issues but they ignored the problem so it got even worse when they stepped up to 4K

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
man, google's a rubbish company, isn't it?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

They have a huge library of supported games, but they also re-enabled YOLO mode, so you can try to run anything from the Steam, Ubisoft, or Epic games library on GeForce Now, but if it's not on the supported list you can't save your progress unless the game has a built-in cloud save feature.

Also they're "full priced" in that you have to buy the games yourself, but you can take advantage of Steam sales, Humble Bundles, etc. Right now you can buy the Tomb Raider trilogy + DLC for $43.5 on Steam whereas they would cost $100 on Stadia.

---

So while looking up prices I read Tom's Hardware review of Stadia and it talked about connection optimization:

quote:

Here's my issue: When I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider on a 1080p TV, the performance was extremely smooth, even though the graphics sometimes had a blurry, washed-out quality that has never been present when I've played Tomb Raider on consoles. The background textures, in particular, were not very distinct. But the framerate was excellent (60 frames per second, or thereabouts), and the game didn't slow down, even during firefights or graphically intense chase sequences.

That all changed when I moved over to a 4K TV, far enough away from my router so that I couldn't run an Ethernet cable to the Chromecast Ultra. My connection was strong enough to get 4K resolution most of the time, but when it wasn't, it was noticeable.

The audio would start to desync, particularly in scenes where Lara had to navigate cluttered environments or contend with a lot of enemies in the same space. Listening to the game's dialogue as if it's playing on a skipping record is not the ideal way to experience this otherwise decent adventure.

However, as I said, I can't hold Stadia responsible for my connection. I thought I would just throttle the connection to 1080p resolution, but there's no way to do that.

GeForce Now allows you to set your bit rate to anywhere from 5 to 50 Mbps, the quality from 720p to 1080p, the frame rate to 30, 60, or 120 fps (although 120fps is only available if you set it to Competitive which locks the resolution at 1280x720 and doesn't let you set the bit rate), and to allow it to automatically adjust the quality if your connection degrades/improves, whereas Stadia apparently...can't.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
google stadia!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

American McGay posted:

As per the DigitalFoundry videos I watched, there's 2 modes this game can run in: the "lower" one is 1080p and targets 60 fps but hangs mostly somewhere in the fifties, and then the "4K" one that's actually 1440p at 30 fps.

They seemed to think that the consistently 30 fps mode felt nicer.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hostile apostle posted:

They were able to buy a new code that worked from a viewer. Their original code got caught in limbo because they use a google org email.

hostile apostle posted:

Ok, so why does that add 25 to 50 ms of lag versus connecting the controller to a PC and playing in a web browser?

The possibility that it isn't working yet because it's an unfinished beta product is the best option. That means might get fixed!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I am actually struggling to believe the “taping heat sinks to it” solution.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Lots of small cheap decoder devices like that run extremely hot. I've got the option of buying a $70 HDMI USB capture device and having plenty of ice cubes handy or opting for the $250 version that contains a heatsink and fan.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Pathos posted:

I am actually struggling to believe the “taping heat sinks to it” solution.

When you could dry berries with it, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol i found one from *5* years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NsWumVkTrc

keep entombing your devices in non-ventilated and non-conductive plastic google, i'm sure the problem will go away by itself