Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If I could somehow play my mp3s through a lovely old clock radio from 1992, I'd be delighted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

If I could somehow play my mp3s through a lovely old clock radio from 1992, I'd be delighted.

before Bluetooth speakers were cheap/good/ubiquitous I rigged a cheap FM transmitter to my PC for this, to listen to music and audiobooks without having to burn them to CD, also for use in the shower with the waterproof radio

worked p well but was pointless after getting a smartphone

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

One of the best clock radios I've ever had was this Radio Shack "Realistic" brand thing here that had stereo speakers on the sides. Adding an aux jack to this thing would be great. Sadly mine hit the floor one too many times and it died.

Vanagoon has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Nov 25, 2019

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vanagoon posted:

One of the best clock radios I've ever had was this Radio Shack "Realistic" brand thing here that had stereo speakers on the sides. Adding an aux jack to this thing would be great. Sadly mine hit the floor one too many times and it died.

Definitely obsolete technology: Flip clocks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phanatic posted:

They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I think I got that exact unit at a yard sale in high school, but couldn't abide the constant sound of the motor running. I think I tore it apart and harvested the motor for some other use.

I did use one of those Realistic clock-radios through middle school and high school, but on whatever model I had the alarm was something loving terrible. It didn't beep or anything, didn't start quiet and slowly rise, it just immediately switched on a full-volume tone that I somehow found disconcerting to hear even when fully awake. It was a godawful thing to wake up to; the few times I used the regular alarm rather than the radio, I'd wake up with my heart pounding, ready to run from whatever horrible danger was clearly about to strike. The closest thing I can think of is the UVB-76 tone heard on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76 but a single steady note instead of short bursts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fender Anarchist posted:

They say we're young and we don't know
We won't find out until we grow

It's cold out there every day

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

You can, get one of these and hook it up to the clock power and audio:
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/MpB1kKl6
I got a couple to retrofit all sort of stuff

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think I got that exact unit at a yard sale in high school, but couldn't abide the constant sound of the motor running. I think I tore it apart and harvested the motor for some other use.

I did use one of those Realistic clock-radios through middle school and high school, but on whatever model I had the alarm was something loving terrible. It didn't beep or anything, didn't start quiet and slowly rise, it just immediately switched on a full-volume tone that I somehow found disconcerting to hear even when fully awake. It was a godawful thing to wake up to; the few times I used the regular alarm rather than the radio, I'd wake up with my heart pounding, ready to run from whatever horrible danger was clearly about to strike. The closest thing I can think of is the UVB-76 tone heard on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76 but a single steady note instead of short bursts.

I've had some of Buckethead's really disturbing noise tracks accidentally added to my sleep playlist before, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5Rffmb1Ilc

Not a fun thing to wake up to, even less fun to have slip into your dream and turn it into a horror movie shortly before you wake up.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've still got my clock/tape radio from when I was, like 12 or 13?

It's loving old, early 90s
Red LEDs to preserve your night vision, SONY YOU IDIOTS
the tape player still works and should still play as an alarm
the FM dangly-wire antenna fell off but I still get passable reception
the volume wheel is a bit borked and there's a fart's ghost's difference between between "secret murmur" and "SPLIT YE EARS"

But conceivably I could plug a car tape adapter into it, plug that into my phone, set them to both go off at the same time and wake to STRESS by Justice but with that warm tape crackle.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

same

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Jesus Christ, I had this exact same clock for nearly 2 decades.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I would unironically use one of those now just because of how cool it is.

I've been using a phone alarm since 2011. I use this tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71-KVntDZ7c

because it's the one guaranteed to yank me from sleep. I listen to music while I sleep but as soon as it changes to this my brain jolts awake. Because this is what I used for my very hated year in college every day and it creates such a visceral reaction in my body now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

For several years I woke up thanks to a combination phone/radio/alarm clock. Nowadays my mobile phone is my alarm clock, and both my alarm tone and ring tone are this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG5RNFm_STE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I can smell the electronic aroma coming from those vent holes.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywExJR4lrI

This makes a very good ringtone so I used it as my alarm for a while too.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this beautiful boy has been waking me up for over 20 years. i have it set between stations so its sure to wake me up with the screaming cacophony of static and garbled spoken words, the way i prefer.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I never had a flip clock, but I think they're more beautiful than LED displays. Anyway, check this out, basically SMARTPHONE 198X

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Last Chance posted:

this beautiful boy has been waking me up for over 20 years. i have it set between stations so its sure to wake me up with the screaming cacophony of static and garbled spoken words, the way i prefer.

I had one of those and a key feature with those type of alarms is that you can slam your hand on them like a leg of pork and the snooze button will get pressed.

You don't get that satisfaction or response to groggy motor control from a smartphone.

Sair
May 11, 2007

I think my dad still has one of those.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sair posted:

I think my dad still has one of those.

Everyone's dad still has one of those.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Along with a good third to half of Best Western motels.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Forgive the quick and mediocre cell phone picture. This has either been my bedroom clock or my older brothers’ for the last 25-odd years. The cover thing for whatever has been missing equally as long.

It occasionally had a buzzing noise and I’m tempted to replace it, but have yet to pull the trigger.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Shut up Meg posted:

I had one of those and a key feature with those type of alarms is that you can slam your hand on them like a leg of pork and the snooze button will get pressed.

I was once on work travel in a hotel that had two snooze buttons on the alarm.

One turned the buzzer off for several minutes. The second one turned the buzzer off for 24 hours. And yes, the two buttons were right next to each other.

That's some Thomas Midgely-level design.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
RetroManCave has an interesting video where he invites guests from both sides of the Atlantic to compare the US and UK Amiga scenes back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2_tgwl8GU

Also, The 8-Bit Guy is officially cancelled for describing Young Sheldon as "one of my favorite TV shows" in his 1-million subscriber special (currently up for Patreon supporters).

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Alas, some of us are super heavy sleepers.

The original Screaming Meanie, guaranteed to wake your neighbors and cause hearing loss.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Not a fun thing to wake up to, even less fun to have slip into your dream and turn it into a horror movie shortly before you wake up.

At first I was going to ask "what's wrong with this?" Then it changed over, and yeah. God Bucket is good, but so loving prolific and weird. I really should have gone to see him live when he was in town.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mr.Radar posted:

Also, The 8-Bit Guy is officially cancelled for describing Young Sheldon as "one of my favorite TV shows" in his 1-million subscriber special (currently up for Patreon supporters).

So 8 is not just his favourite word size.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Unperson_47 posted:

Jesus Christ, I had this exact same clock for nearly 2 decades.

Me too (but more like a decade), but somehow a bunch of ants decided to nest in it and it was never the same since.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Gromit posted:

Me too (but more like a decade), but somehow a bunch of ants decided to nest in it and it was never the same since.

I had one for at least a decade too when I was pretty young, that alarm noise is still ingrained in my head. Neat how so many people had that model. Manages to stir a lot of memories for me thinking back to it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

At first I was going to ask "what's wrong with this?" Then it changed over, and yeah. God Bucket is good, but so loving prolific and weird. I really should have gone to see him live when he was in town.

I've seen him three times. He still managed to do things with a guitar I never thought of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZTjZ58vHE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Manuel Calavera posted:

Also after posting that cool video I should point out that's the second time Buckethead has accidentally infiltrated my nightmares. The other track was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-7sFT9M5K0

It was the part around 1:50 specifically. I remember it was a nightmare of very dusty skeletons with some flesh still on the bone right as that started playing. Whenever I'm about to wake up I'll often have some of the music playing start infiltrating my dream, and that came in at the exact right time to scare the unconscious poo poo out of me. Which is especially awful because that song is named after his mother and it was an album meant to give her something nice to listen to while she was recovering in the hospital! I'll never understand how that dude thinks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

My dad still has his. He used it until he retired nearly a decade ago. It's in his bathroom now.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Last Chance posted:

Oh, hey, I use his hipster brother in law

I wish I had the choice of sticking it between stations, because the darn thing uses the power cord as its antenna and sure has some trouble locking on a station.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
This is objectively the coolest Sony cube clock

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vanagoon posted:

holy poo poo

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Vanagoon posted:

Meanwhile, here's a comparatively lame Sony cube clock

The alarm chime is too soft and polite for its own good, meaning I constantly sleep through them.

It replaced this clock radio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WeC_K7qmaQ

Which I had for drat near 15 years. It had a properly obnoxious buzzer that made UVB-76 sound restrained in comparison. Sadly, it stopped keeping time properly.

90s Solo Cup has a new favorite as of 10:31 on Nov 26, 2019

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vanagoon posted:

Gorgeous :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vanagoon posted: