Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

it's :filez: with a Z because 31337 people have k3wl spelling and Zs are kewl3r than Ss.

Oh drat it, thanks! It's been a long time since I asked for something like that that I forgot the z.

Convex posted:

Reach is a prequel and they're releasing them in story order.

Played Reach on my 360 and used the sprint "skill" the whole game because oh boy Master Chief is slow as hell on Halo 1 and 3 (the other two I've played so far).

catlord posted:

I saw screenshots of DarkXL running custom missions and I was frankly blown away at how impressive they were, even ignoring they were running at higher resolutions. I was really excited to check them out. It is loving criminal that Dark Forces doesn't have a source port or anything, and until we get Dark Forces EX or something, I will be grumpy about how that all went to poo poo.

I'd play Dark Forces again if it had a decent source port. When they finally released Blood Fresh Supply I played through the whole game twice and Dark Forces is awesome and Civvie's video only made me want to play it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Speaking of sewer levels:

Is Strife's sewer level worse than Dark Forces' sewer level? (Or Shadows of the Empire's sewer level)?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm waiting to see what the port quality for Reach is, but if it's good I'm definitely picking up the whole MCC.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm waiting to see what the port quality for Reach is, but if it's good I'm definitely picking up the whole MCC.

The Digital Foundry video looked pretty solid at least.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thief 1/2 have aged horrendously in a few places, but their core gameplay is still so incredibly good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I could never get into stealth games, broadly speaking, but I still enjoyed Thief.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Thief has a really interesting and smart design where the first couple levels are explicitly designed so that you're rarely exposed to light and the game's difficulty ramps up by distinctly reducing the availability of shadows which force you to find more clever ways to navigate the maps which were always there from the beginning if you wanted to look. I'm hard pressed to think of a video game with more thoughtfully designed levels.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I really want to like Thief, I can do the first level, but I am actually really not great at stealth and the second level keeps on stopping me hard. I should get back to it at some point, it is a pretty neat setting and I love that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The United States posted:

Honestly I'm not completely sure that even GZDoom today can do everything that the Dark Forces engine could do in 1995.
It can't. Rotating sectors that you can stand on top of aren't really a thing in GZDoom, and probably won't be for a number of reasons - the biggest being that actor collision is done with non-rotating boxes in Doom instead of the cylinders used in other engines, opening up a number of possible collision issues that the Hexen polyobjects handle in less-than-graceful ways (either stopping moving and patiently waiting for the actor to get out of the way, or by outright crushing any obstructions to death). The GZDoom devs aren't keen on tackling such issues (especially after the eDuke32 devs tried to improve Duke3D's collision detection and fell into a 6+-month debugging hole that I'm not entirely convinced they'll ever truly escape) so the most we'll probably get in that regard is sectors that you can stand on top of that can be moved in the four cardinal directions.

I mean, you can probably fake them reasonably with polyobjects wrapped in portals, but there will be bugs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Johnny Law posted:

If you're actually thinking of playing Thief though, as opposed to The Dark Mod, then you want TFix: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134733

For Thief 2 the thing would be T2Fix: https://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149669

thanks

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Those are good patches cause they also let you play with EAX without needing a soundblaster

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

The Kins posted:

It can't. Rotating sectors that you can stand on top of aren't really a thing in GZDoom, and probably won't be for a number of reasons - the biggest being that actor collision is done with non-rotating boxes in Doom instead of the cylinders used in other engines, opening up a number of possible collision issues that the Hexen polyobjects handle in less-than-graceful ways (either stopping moving and patiently waiting for the actor to get out of the way, or by outright crushing any obstructions to death). The GZDoom devs aren't keen on tackling such issues (especially after the eDuke32 devs tried to improve Duke3D's collision detection and fell into a 6+-month debugging hole that I'm not entirely convinced they'll ever truly escape) so the most we'll probably get in that regard is sectors that you can stand on top of that can be moved in the four cardinal directions.

I mean, you can probably fake them reasonably with polyobjects wrapped in portals, but there will be bugs.

Did carmack ever explain why he not only used boxes but non-rotating ones? It seems like a pretty lovely oversight he made early on that he probably couldn’t design out without culling a bunch... unless he grabbed the wolf3d collision detection?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Tim Thomas posted:

Did carmack ever explain why he not only used boxes but non-rotating ones? It seems like a pretty lovely oversight he made early on that he probably couldn’t design out without culling a bunch... unless he grabbed the wolf3d collision detection?

If you don’t rotate your boxes you don’t need any real expensive trig/float calculations

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Tim Thomas posted:

Because rotating a box would directly contradict the point of having them be boxes in the first place, to save on doing slow-rear end or inaccurate trig on 25MHz CPUs with no guaranteed floating point processor (let alone a decently performing one). If you could rotate the box, you might as well have used circular collision in the first place.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Axis-aligned boxes are the fastest form of collision detection because checking if you've hit them is extremely simple. Is your X value between the left and the right sides of the box? Is your Y value also between the front and back sides of the box? Do you not care about Z because you're a 2.5D engine? Congratulations, you hit the box.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 26, 2019

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

haveblue posted:

Do you not care about Z because you're a 2.5D engine? Congratulations, you hit the box.

Doom checks the Z. Namely for projectiles and hitscan collisions.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Vanilla had infinitely tall actors, hitscans autoaim up/down, and iirc explosions are infinitely tall cylinders. The 2.5d moniker was well deserved.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Serephina posted:

Vanilla had infinitely tall actors, hitscans autoaim up/down, and iirc explosions are infinitely tall cylinders. The 2.5d moniker was well deserved.

Don't think it did, you can shoot rockets over/under enemies.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Serephina posted:

Auto aim is auto targeting, it does not guarantee an actual hit, and hitscans/projectiles will still pass over/under actors.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Don't think it did, you can shoot rockets over/under enemies.

Projectiles clip through but actors can’t in vanilla. Starting with Heretic and basically every modern source port enables actors to clip through and I feel this has hosed me more than once in gzDoom where I’ll technically be underneath a lost soul or caco and it just gores me to death.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was absolutely sure fireballs etc hit over your head, so I went at tested it in Chocolate Doom. Yes they bodyblock'd me, but rockets fired cleanly overhead. My bad!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Serephina posted:

I was absolutely sure fireballs etc hit over your head, so I went at tested it in Chocolate Doom. Yes they bodyblock'd me, but rockets fired cleanly overhead. My bad!

I'm not making GBS threads on you for not knowing technical Doom stuff but I'm having some major deja vu here. I swear the rocket thing has been posted several times while I've been reading this thread and Rocket Pan keeps coming back to correct it. I'm starting to understand the thread cycle in the OP

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

Explosions are infinitely tall though, that’s why shooting rockets into the icon of sin can work the way it does

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

HolyKrap posted:

I'm not making GBS threads on you for not knowing technical Doom stuff but I'm having some major deja vu here. I swear the rocket thing has been posted several times while I've been reading this thread and Rocket Pan keeps coming back to correct it. I'm starting to understand the thread cycle in the OP

It's a cycle that will keep repeating until someone deletes that god-awful Game Theorists video.

the cool posts kid posted:

Explosions are infinitely tall though, that’s why shooting rockets into the icon of sin can work the way it does

Explosions are, sure, but projectile collisons themselves aren't. Imp fireballs, plasma bolts, and physical rockets themselves will always check height for collisions against other actors. (Note that's obviously all projectiles, not just those 3 listed.)

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 26, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just get gamepass.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I find funny how the discussion of exactly how much 2.5D is Doom is a recurrent topic here.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I personally can't wait for 3.5D Doom where the extra dimension is "scratch n sniff".

catlord posted:

It is loving criminal that Dark Forces doesn't have a source port or anything, and until we get Dark Forces EX or something, I will be grumpy about how that all went to poo poo.

:same:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 3.5D is a game where you play two simultaneous but offset instances of Doom where you must keep doom guy alive in the x and y dimension but they're allowed to die on the Z axis.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Flannelette posted:

Is Strife's sewer level worse than Dark Forces' sewer level? (Or Shadows of the Empire's sewer level)?

Nothing will ever come close to the SotE sewer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It's a goddamned shame that Rare put a sewers multiplayer map into Perfect Dark instead of Ark Hives. :colbert:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

verbal enema posted:

Nothing will ever come close to the SotE sewer

It has a bangin' theme tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nitJd6cIXU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So in a completely unexpected turn of events, in the middle of an otherwise unrelated post about Destiny 2 happenings, Bungie seems to have announced a new Marathon T-shirt.

Not sure where they're going with this but intrigued. Very, very intrigued.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Flannelette posted:

It's waaaaay better. It's very short, and has rooms and things besides identical tunnels. There's also some cool secrets and a bum hole. There are however, 2 sewers levels. The second one where you open the gate for the castle is the worst one. It's still not that bad. The mine level is the garbage tunnel map in Strife.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

But I think the floor hurts you constantly in it, I remember getting lost and slowly being chipped to death running back and forth? Does the DarkForces sewer floor do tick damage?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You have hazmat suits. They're everywhere. Even without the suit, the hurt floors aren't that bad. It helps that the health pool in strife is huge with all the health items you can carry. The worst thing about the strife sewers is the drat sentinel robots and their annoying lazers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Flannelette posted:

But I think the floor hurts you constantly in it, I remember getting lost and slowly being chipped to death running back and forth? Does the DarkForces sewer floor do tick damage?
Not exactly. There are respawning Dianoga in there that pop up and attack you. The painful part is having to go back through a few different times after raising the sewage level.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

Thief has a really interesting and smart design where the first couple levels are explicitly designed so that you're rarely exposed to light and the game's difficulty ramps up by distinctly reducing the availability of shadows which force you to find more clever ways to navigate the maps which were always there from the beginning if you wanted to look. I'm hard pressed to think of a video game with more thoughtfully designed levels.

Yeah and they were really subtle about it too. I saw a video a while ago that was comparing the new Thief game to the originals and it pointed out that one of the issues with the new Thief game is in all the "streamlining" it feels like it takes away player choice - things like rope arrows now have pre-designated points where you just shoot it to climb up. Except that the original game did the same thing (this isn't my observation - this was the point being made in the video)! If they didn't want you climbing somewhere they just made the surfaces into stone or metal or other stuff that you can't shoot a rope arrow into. It serves mechanically the same purpose but it feels more "natural" because it's not some meta-game-y UI element that pops up going "you can shoot an arrow here!". It's just that there was usually way more wood around than you had rope arrows so it became more about considering for yourself when it would actually be useful to climb up somewhere rather than just taking the prompt whenever it appeared.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
How dare 0451 not open the first lock I found in Prey!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Wrath thoughts:

-green toad and flying mouth boys have too much fuckin HP
-the game probably ought to have a railgun equivalent considering these huge open spaces you often fight enemies in, spamming them down from 200 miles away with the nailgun/pistol feels not great
-the blade's right click should just be something bound to a button instead of a weapon you switch onto to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

How dare 0451 not open the first lock I found in Prey!

The safe in Simulation Debriefing? That's the first lock you find but it's not the first one you open. :v: