Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
A console is more reliable than an internet connection. There's no "reverse" about this it is obviously true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Personally there is no hope that Stadia Dies in a fiery death, but being in the industry for so long, I and many others probably feel that Stadia may be another Google project that has a big unveiling and then 6 months later you never really hear about again followed by the plug being pulled 1+ years later.

Those that downright hope it fails are either afraid of yet another walled garden where game exclusives exist and also the problem of having no cross play between any other platform that are all playing the same games. Did they really think enough people would play Destiny 2 on Stadia to allow it to exist in its own player vacuum?

I wonder if instead of all these game exclusives, what if these streaming services hosted F2P games for people to play from anywhere and on anything, and just keep a cut of whatever in app purchases they buy to pay for the service. If anything that would both provide a rather large selection of games, for "free" and while some are somewhat latency based, at least it's all server based to start anyway for most of them any the impact might be minimal.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think the best way to begin a post is "Psychologist here,"

you just know what follows will be unadulterated Takes

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Gamer here, stadia blows

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

EdEddnEddy posted:

I wonder if instead of all these game exclusives, what if these streaming services hosted F2P games for people to play from anywhere and on anything, and just keep a cut of whatever in app purchases they buy to pay for the service. If anything that would both provide a rather large selection of games, for "free" and while some are somewhat latency based, at least it's all server based to start anyway for most of them any the impact might be minimal.

But this already exists... it's called mobile games

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

leftist heap posted:

But this already exists... it's called mobile games

Right but not everyone's phone can run them, you can make them more flashy with better graphics on Stadia.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
wow, I'm a massive idiot :v:

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 25, 2019

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bearded Teenager in Shawl Sweater is Sick of it awwwl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMbbmBzbbY4

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

lol. I need a link to the source, because that's amazing.

I’m a whale biologist, I call ‘em like I see ‘em.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

- google is inherently threatening if you know anything about it, and video gaming is already ground zero for the death throes of capitalism
- it is such an obviously, inherently bad value proposition that it insults consumers' intelligence on its face
- the "launch" is a comedic shitshow of the sort we usually see with first time Kickstarters, not bajillion-dollar corporations

Yeah, this is so patently obvious that anyone asking (random idiots, no less) about it cannot possibly be a psychologist.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Psychologist here,

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Games › Stadia by Google:

an actual dog posted:

Psychologist here,

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

pixaal posted:

Right but not everyone's phone can run them, you can make them more flashy with better graphics on Stadia.

Fortnite runs on a shitload of them and is the most popular game on the planet.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Proctologist here, and I've been putting a lot of thought into some potential reasons we see such reactive anger in general gaming spaces toward the core idea of Stadia.

Yes, it's all about butts...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

leftist heap posted:

Fortnite runs on a shitload of them and is the most popular game on the planet.

It's popular because it runs on everything, are you saying it's a good looking game? Make sure high res models for something slower and more traditional on mobiles, probably a gacha game. I bet a gacha game with high res models would make a killing. I'm aware that making 3D models is a different skill set than making 2D pixel art and also more expensive. There is certainly a market for that though, take a look at all the anime games with adult warnings on steam.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Proctologist here, and I've been putting a lot of thought into some potential reasons we see such reactive anger in general gaming spaces toward the core idea of Stadia.

Yes, it's all about butts...

oh good I have a question for you! It's not about butts but it comes from the butt. Should anyone touch the poop?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

My favorite part of the post is when the psychologist dude lists a bunch of good reasons to not use stadia then dismisses them as bullshit, while providing no reasoning for doing so. Instead they do this:

quote:

It's the same psychological safety that's provided by a company having their server in their closet rather than Google data centers and feeling it's less vulnerable and more reliable, when the reverse is actually true.

Which is a bit like comparing netflix to office 365 lmao

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The only way the server in the closet metaphor makes sense is if you could run the games you buy on any cloud service, and that is not the case lmao

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

psychologist here,

My take on stadia, it's inconsistent hot garbage...

When it works it's awesome, when it doesn't its bad, and really unplayable.

Earlier today it was great, this morning I had no issues playing destiny on my laptop (wireless)
Last today it sucked. Even on a wired connection with chrome-cast and 100MBPS and 35ms ping to speedtest servers it was janky jump and unplayable.

Until I can long in and play with the balanced setting on a regular basis i'm not buying something like RDR2 unless I get a local copy too (Which isn't happening at all).

When it works it's sweet I can sit on my laptop and play a game while doing work on my desktop, or in the living-room while someone else watches some crap on TV.. but it's gotta give me a good experience each time I play.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
being a psychologist does not make your grandma safe

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Tried to play Stadia but when I showed the Chromecast Ultra up me arse it just overheated. What am I doing wrong?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lodin posted:

Tried to play Stadia but when I showed the Chromecast Ultra up me arse it just overheated. What am I doing wrong?

It's not in there deep enough.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Good news for failed consoles!

https://twitter.com/cweiskede/status/1199049873229799424?s=21

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

shadow puppet of a posted:

Live-laugh-love looking motherfucker right here

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

shadow puppet of a posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMbbmBzbbY4

This is hostile apostle

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

One thing that drives me nuts (and is mentioned in that link) is the consumer desperation for system exclusives.
It's a ploy by corporations to force you to buy their hardware and nothing more. gently caress anyone who supports that poo poo.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Sweet, then The Secret of Universe Alpha is not lost to the mists of time!

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Finally everyone can play The Amazing Frog? and Soul Fjord. Free the games!

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

is google stadia frog fractions 3?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Tetrabor posted:

One thing that drives me nuts (and is mentioned in that link) is the consumer desperation for system exclusives.
It's a ploy by corporations to force you to buy their hardware and nothing more. gently caress anyone who supports that poo poo.

Exclusives are awesome. Let me guess: you're an Xbone owner?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

...! posted:

Exclusives are awesome. Let me guess: you're an Xbone owner?
Exclusives are some 2006 era console warrior poo poo which evidenced by your post is why you love them.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
No, I've just noticed that Xbone owners get super mad about Bloodborne.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Exclusives are good if they're something that otherwise wouldn't have been made, or would have been a compromised experience if dev time had to be split for multiple versions

This is becoming less and less of a thing now that the consoles are just cheap PCs that you can code to the metal of, so are becoming less important other than a differentiator for single player experiences

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

There are some seriously classy games made for both PS4 and Switch that I doubt would have been made (and certainly not as classily) if they weren't console exclusives. Console exclusives are one of the best places console manufacturers can spend advertising dollars - and one of the ways the smart ones do this (even Microsoft although they've not been so smart). And some of those advertising dollars go into keeping back the tide of lootboxes and predatory microtransactions (although not, alas, eliminating them).

Edit: And the XBox and PS4 may be near-identical, but the Switch certainly isn't, and Nintendo and Next Level Games at the very least use its limits in ways that cross-platform games don't so much.

neonchameleon fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 26, 2019

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

...! posted:

As a Game Gear --> Genesis --> Saturn --> Dreamcast --> PS3 --> XBOne masochist it was definitely painful to miss out on exclusives but I also long ago accepted I didn't have time to play every good game. At least I made up for SNES stuff with an emulator and my PS3 was one of the early ones with full PS2 hardware.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

Game Gear --> Genesis --> Saturn --> Dreamcast --> PS3 --> XBOne
I feel I should point out this is what my game-related decision-making is like yet I'm still not subscribed to Stadia.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

I feel I should point out this is what my game-related decision-making is like yet I'm still not subscribed to Stadia.

That’s a hell of a run.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

...! posted:

Bloodborne is a great game that would be even better running on a pc so it could acutally hit 60 fps and reasonable load times. Keep carrying that water for corporations hope you own stock or youre just a mark.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

The people saying that Stadia should have been left to cook for a few more months aren't wrong. They even had some focus group and early testing that got to keep AC:O months ago that should have easily been able to let them know it wasn't ready for prime time. The rush to be out before the Christmas season was probably its main downfall that some exec just had to hold the team too and well, here we are.

I too was in that test. ACO worked well enough, basically as I'd expected based on my prior experience with Onlive, but the novelty was that I was playing a new AAA game on a Chromebook.

Of course even though I got the free copy of the game, it's not available (for free) on Stadia.... :rolleyes:

cubicle gangster posted:

I was in that test and it worked well.

The problem isnt in streaming to people with fiber or the underlying tech, it's that they completely hosed up the pricing, positioning & messaging, made a mess of the hardware launch, and massively over estimated how many people had the right internet for this. And including a fighting game in the incredibly thin launch lineup.
It probably should've been left to cook a bit longer, but only so that they could sort out their internal messaging, get a stronger launch lineup, do a private beta with NDA's etc. That was set in motion a long time ago though, and with sales low internal spending will be frozen.

A main issue is definitely the game library and sales model. And also the fact that a lot of features weren't available at launch, although I'm a little conflicted on this point. It'd be weird not to mention some of the things that are eventually coming, like the video streaming -> drop in thing, and then just blurt that out as soon as it's actually ready, because that's a unique feature that's kind of interesting so it's weird not to mention it at all. The main issue was that Google wasn't transparent about features that are planned (or actual resolution/settings being output) but not available at launch.

pixaal posted:

I'm angry at it because Google clearly lied about everything and it was obvious that it was lies. "will run Read Dead at 4k60" was so obviously a lie that if it happened I would suspect they had a time machine. It's the cycle of promise the moon deliver some rocks, say they are from the moon, after people test them and find out they are actually from California they step back and claim moon rocks are coming these California rocks are almost as good!

I think they're going about Stadia all wrong. Instead of promising smooth gameplay that can't be delivered for latency-sensitive games, and graphical fidelity that can't be rendered at expected settings on the hardware being used, they should focus on games that would best run on such a streaming platform. Imagine games like Civ, Anno, or 4X games in general; they'd run fine at high settings and aren't framerate- or latency-dependent. I'm not saying only turn-based games could be streamed, but I think there's an appeal to being able to run games like that and not have to worry at all about installation, storage, updates, or load times. It would also be more directly marketable to casual gamers who wouldn't have to own any consoles or gaming PCs.

Tetrabor posted:

I agree, I don't think exclusives are a good idea, or rather, they're not to the benefit of consumers. I understand why they want to give you a reason to buy their console, but there's often no technical reason to limit software to one platform. I bought a PS4 to play exclusives like Horizon Zero Dawn, and I don't regret my purchase because the PS4 is nice and works well, but other than that there's no reason basically any of those exclusive games couldn't work on the gaming PCs I already have.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

ErrEff posted:

Finally everyone can play The Amazing Frog? and Soul Fjord. Free the games!

Amazing Frog is on Steam I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Terminal autist posted:

Bloodborne is a great game that would be even better running on a pc so it could acutally hit 60 fps and reasonable load times. Keep carrying that water for corporations hope you own stock or youre just a mark.
You can play Bloodborne on PC!

...via Playstation Now.