Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Elentor posted:

I like Rude's suit.

Yeah. Reno and Rude both look on point. They look like I remember Advent Children looking, rather than how it actually looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm bored so I'm gonna make an effortpost on Turk suits.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

CottonWolf posted:

Yeah. Reno and Rude both look on point. They look like I remember Advent Children looking, rather than how it actually looked.

Never again.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The original FF7 could use a remake more than any other game in the series at this point actually
FF8 :mad:

Like properly remake it. Don't just remaster. Remake.

They'd make so many more people happy if they just 1:1 HD remastered FF7 with new models and animations and then kinda changed things for a new FF8, I swear

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Whalley posted:

They'd make so many more people happy if they just 1:1 HD remastered FF7 with new models and animations and then kinda changed things for a new FF8, I swear

No they wouldn't. The amount of people for whom FF7 was their one RPG or jrpg growing up is absolutely huge.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No they wouldn't. The amount of people for whom FF7 was their one RPG or jrpg growing up is absolutely huge.
I mean like, literally just give those people FF7 but prettier. Every single change is going to make the diehards furious - even offline, in non-nerdy circles, folks who grew up loving FF7 already have a laundry list of complaints for FF7R simply by making it slightly different.

They're all gunna buy FF7R of course, like, Square could do what the hell ever they want and make bank. I just want the FF7 diehards to get a pretty, unmodified version of their game, and I want us FF8 "oh i swear it's the goddamn best if you look past all the garbage" fans to get our real time action RPG :sigh:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yeah, as much as VIII is one of my favorites, and I find it a better game than VII....well....VII was a system moving game and VIII wasn't. I knew a bunch of people that got a PSX for it, and then no other JRPG ever got them the same way. It sold about 4 million more copies overall.

I think the only games that have really reached the heights of VII as "system movers" that are also JRPGs is Pokemon.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Whalley posted:

I agree burning FF8 down and completely redoing it is probably the best thing you could do with that game.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

I agree burning FF8 down and completely redoing it is probably the best thing you could do with that game.
What's the emote for a really sad high five where you hate that you're agreeing with a thing because it's hurtful but you gotta agree because the thing that's being hurt most is your rose-tinted nostalgia glasses

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Rebuild it from the ground up.

Except Triple Triad.

Because Triple Triad is already perfect.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It is.

Just like FFVIII.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Remix Shuffle or Boogie

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saint Freak posted:

Remix Shuffle or Boogie

That already exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4NhcfurgU

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

FFX-2 update: I have all 3 special dress spheres and, well, lmao.

Zero Suit Rikku playing at the controls of her giant death machina is just the greatest.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

Zero Suit Rikku playing at the controls of her giant death machina is just the greatest.

Yes.

Yuna The Flower-Shaped Death Star is pretty rad too.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

They should remake FF3 again and make it good this time

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Whalley posted:

I mean like, literally just give those people FF7 but prettier. Every single change is going to make the diehards furious - even offline, in non-nerdy circles, folks who grew up loving FF7 already have a laundry list of complaints for FF7R simply by making it slightly different.

They're all gunna buy FF7R of course, like, Square could do what the hell ever they want and make bank. I just want the FF7 diehards to get a pretty, unmodified version of their game, and I want us FF8 "oh i swear it's the goddamn best if you look past all the garbage" fans to get our real time action RPG :sigh:

I agree and I've maintained this for years as I saw the plethora of FFVII mods and the sparsity of FFVIII mods. The thing is, FFVII is a great game. Mods can only hope to make it even greater.

FFVIII is the suffering patient in dire need of treatment. So many grand ideas that go unrealized and are ruined by all the poo poo. That's why I'm glad there are currently two huge gameplay mods for FFVIII that came out pretty recently and close to one another.

But try as they might, they're still limited by all of FFVIII's problems which go to its very core. You would absolutely need a remake to address all of them and tap into all the potential FFVIII has. Don't remake great games, remake games that were prevented from reaching their greatness.

And let Seifer rejoin the party for Ultimecia's Castle to complete his damned character arc.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 26, 2019

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Remake xenogears and have them actually finish it

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Squiddycat posted:

Remake xenogears and have them actually finish it

Absolutely my #1 wish as a fan of the art of video games but it won't ever happen unless Square lets Monolith Soft write and direct it or some weird corporate poo poo I don't understand and seems totally impossible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok here's my suit review. Let's start with the original concept art. The original Turks wear the exact same blue suit.

Because this is Nomura we're talking about, their suits don't have a top button but rather a zipper. Their lapels meet right at the zipper. Their color is generally speaking any definition of Navy blue: The in-game low-poly color is very dark
(2,3,10 to 13, 13, 43):

While the combat model is slightly brighter (2,3,26 to 10, 12, 62):

Of note is that the hue varies between having more red than green, being true blue, and having more green than red but across the board both colors are very much tending towards the "dark pure blue" definition of Navy blue. You can see they're intentionally meant to be blue and not just "blue as a replacement for black" comic-style. Comparing to other dark attires in the concept arts:

Much like milk, everyone drinks it, but media tends to use it symbolically in ways that may be different from real life. In this case, let's take a look at some suits:

The Crazy 88 in Kill Bill wear black suits:

While Gogo Yubari wears a Blue suit:

People have analysed the cards in the American Psycho business card scene to hell and back, but let's take a look at the suits.

In American Psycho Allen and Christian Bale's colleagues use dark suits. I forgot Bale's character name and I'm too lazy to lookup so I'll just refer to him by the actor's name. Anyway, the above image are during the narration as to how they all look similar. Their suits are a very dark blue trending on black, it's hard to tell with this color correction.

Either way they're darker than Allen's suit, which is distinctly a dark grey.

The other characters (who show up and are part of the next part of this scene, which is undermining Bale) also have that lighter grey suit instead of the dark color of the people Bale was dismissive.

Almost comically, Bale's suit is the most exaggerated of them all.

Yes, Luis might be the elephant in the room with the bow-tie and beige suit, but Allen's suit is very colorful: Blue with white stripes, a colorful light blue shirt and a saturated patterned yellow tie (to which Allen says "nice tie"). Only Bale and Luis wear yellow ties. When I saw this scene, Bale's colorfulness always struck me as part of the mask he's doing, either in an attempt to distinguish himself or just to look less threatening.

The agents in The Matrix use very dark suits. They have a black diffuse with a blueish reflection. Because of the heavy color correction they almost always appear black. It's almost impossible to get a tone-neutral screenshot of Matrix.

Notice how Cissnei in Crisis Core has a dark blue suit. It's very unsaturated, but it still holds some tint.

Before Crisis retcons this completely. Every Turk there has a fully unsaturated black suit. It's a weird decision because even black suits tend to have a bluish reflection.

In FF7AC they get very dark and the entire movie has this blue and teal tone. It's impossible to say they're blue without contrasting to something else.

In some scenes they're effectively black. In fact I'm almost sure their material varies in the remastering/added scenes/blu-ray.

Anyway, a few things remain constant between Reno and Rude, which is especially striking since (until now) they all wore the same single-button (or rather, zipper) suit type:

* Reno's "street thug" personality is reflected on the unbuttoned suit and very loose, wrinkled collar. The shirt collar pops out of the suit, and he wears no suit accessories.
* Rude wears his suit the same as Tseng with an extra addendum: He is the only Turk member to wear a folded handkerchief on his folder, double corner.

I find amusing that this is such an important part of the character design that you can see the double corner even in Rude's Low-Poly model:

The handkerchief is changed in FF7AC from white to black. In general, I like those designs. Without a single word, the suit itself tells you the personality of two different characters. This holds true for a lot of FF7 characters, and Nomura's character design for FF7 was superb.

Anyway let's see FF7R. I actually kinda like that their suits are no longer standard-issue uniforms. It makes sense that it would but it also makes sense that they wouldn't. I do suspect that this is just an excuse for Nomura to go full on designer mode. I liked the simplicity with which the original conveyed the different personalities. But I also like that we get an American Psycho kind of vibe where these people are corporate suits.

Whoa, that's wild. Rude now has a dark purple t-shirt. This is a very eccentric design but it's not that uncommon to match a purple suit with a dark shirt. Anyway he's going for a purple suit, with relief, possibly double-layered fabric and very flamboyant polish both on the suit and the shirt. The dark handkerchief made sense (for someone who's probably cleaning blood) but now he's gone for a light purple handkerchief, still double-cornered (good). The tie also has a relief ornament but... in the shape of crosses. This suit combo would probably be obnoxiously expensive in the real world. The tie design makes me think of all the Visual Kei obsession with edged/barbed crosses and since Nomura likes Visual Kei... anyway it's a very Japanese design. Rude also seems a bit pale. I wish they made him a bit darker.

As for the suit: Could go without the VK crosses, and the weirdly-colored handkerchief that just had to match the shirt. But otherwise, I really like the new look, 8.5/10 A++ would rate it again. Very unique, mantains how formal the character is, loses points for being maybe a tiny bit too flamboyant but eh, as far as purple suits go, it's not even that flamboyant. I'll upgrade it to a 9/10. What can I say, I like it.

Reno's suit in contrast is black. It looks thick, almost like a leather jacket. Looks fine, but this image doesn't reveal much, so let me see the traile-

Ok what the gently caress is this poo poo.

In contrast with the single top pocket design (retained by Rude), his new suit has... two black presidential folds? That's so weird. I might be reading the pocket squares wrong and instead they're just really shiny flap or patch pockets. This suit is a bizarre amalgam of an open leather jacket with someone's attempt to close it. The shoulders are also subdivided and have this session where it's some very shiny leather. This contrasts super hard with the original design and instead it looks like someone is trying really hard. The suit lapels are tiny compared to the shirt's collar, which he now wears like a smaller suit with no gorge.

I guess Nomura has to toss belts at his characters like Amano tosses beads at everything. This is super bizarre, and looks goofy as gently caress. Instead of looking more comfortable, Reno now looks like he's wearing a waist trainer corset. It looks like poo poo, so of course I'm giving it 10/10 SOTY award. Seriously this is one of the worst designs I've seen in a while.

Thank you watching my review like share and subcribe etc.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 26, 2019

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That one tiny little buckle valiantly struggling to hold Reno's suit jacket closed is somehow even more peak Nomura to me than Lulu's belt dress.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought the same thing. Somehow the pointlessness of that belt is just like, why, why

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Elentor posted:

I thought the same thing. Somehow the pointlessness of that belt is just like, why, why

Same reason as every other Nomura design.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I forgot that FFVII/Parasite Eve era Nomura was actually good.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've always quite liked Nomura's art, and hey, the man likes belts and zippers, nothing wrong with that. Every artist has their thing. Amano loves him some beads, and Akihiko Yoshida is an rear end man (though he's calmed down from the days of like...Ashley's chaps).

You can also see a clear evolution of style looking from his earlier stuff, to things from today. He hasn't stagnated in his art, and that's always nice to see.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Very interesting, thanks for the write-up. Also lolling at that buckle irl.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

Man, I forgot that FFVII/Parasite Eve era Nomura was actually good.

The thing I miss the most from that era Nomura was his ability, not just compared to him nowadays, but also compared to other JRPG concept artists, to convey the character's personality.

Elena may want real hard to be a badass, but she's a goofball. Also, Ruby Rose in John Wick is an amalgam of the three main Turks together at this point:

The suits are very square-shaped, and angled. The zipper, which is usually a point of mockery in Nomura's repertoire, actually serves an interesting purpose which is creating symmetry in the lapels. These suits essentially scream "we're here to maintain the order". Even Rufus' over-the-top costume tells about the character. Compare his turtleneck + top button to Reno's "don't care, it's too hot in here" design.

Compared to Amano (whom I regard as an absolutely fantastic artist), Nomura used to design the costumes in service of the character, something Amano never seemed to care (he just does his art, and it's his expression, but it's ultimately that: his expression. That kind of design with purpose is super rare in fantasy characters and Nomura wasn't just good at it, he was exceptional.

Then it started to get weirder and weirder and right now that no longer seems to be the case. Like Amano, the designs seem to be for himself, rather than for the work.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 26, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

here are the suits from The Wolverine (2013)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The thread is now about suits, my work here is done.

* Leaves

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
ff 15, except all the outfits are different types of suits. Including a suit made from weaved belts. Also a belt being used as a tie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
As a nerd who few years ago wrote several posts about 19th century influences in the uniforms of the Gundam thread I approve of this nerding out over character design.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

As a nerd who few years ago wrote several posts about 19th century influences in the uniforms of the Gundam thread I approve of this nerding out over character design.

I remember those posts. I copied/pasted the one on Treize and Zechs on another forum (with full credit to you) so I can always go back to it.

Gundam Wing is the best.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I loving love this kind of weird goon poo poo.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So let's talk about the outfits in FFX-2. They sure are something.

I like all the Festivalist outfits. They look comfy and fun.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone review all the suits from FFXV, thanks in advance.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone review all the suits from FFXV, thanks in advance.

They're all black.

Now back to FFX-2 chat.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SeanBeansShako posted:

Can you link to these because I'd love to read about this and I haven't been to the Gundam threads for a while

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
14 really loving loves gaiter boots and frontier style moccasins.

Oddly enough though they don't have any idea how to make non formal/cute looking small shoes.

Ventana posted:

Can you link to these because I'd love to read about this and I haven't been to the Gundam threads for a while

It was the previous thread to the current one, so unless you have archives.

It's not as in depth as the suit posts though, one day I will try to top those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

SeanBeansShako posted:

It was the previous thread to the current one, so unless you have archives.

It's not as in depth as the suit posts though, one day I will try to top those.

No archives sadly, but still that's pretty cool. We could probably use more in-depth fashion breakdowns in general