Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the prototype publicly available to download?

Yes, you can find the link here:

https://hiddenpalace.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_3_(Nov_3,_1993_prototype)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They just finished a month of Sonic, there's also a Mega CD demo reel, another Sonic 2 beta and several Sonic Chaos betas just released.

It's crazy looking at the dates and seeing just how fast these games can come together.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Don’t a lot of those games use the Sonic 1 engine? Seems like it would cut down on dev time.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

azurite posted:

I'd take the proto CNZ, LBZ, and Competition songs over the final ones any day. Hard Times is really the only case where I like it more than the song it replaced.

Same. Carnival Night 2 and Launch Base 2 on the PC soundtrack are bangers and should've been in the original. It's like a Hydrocity style remix of the theme for those stages, which is fitting since the 2nd act adds water both times.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Don’t a lot of those games use the Sonic 1 engine? Seems like it would cut down on dev time.

Sonic 2 was built on top of Sonic 1 then Sonic 3 was built on Sonic 2 after the inital 3D Blast-like concept had to be scrapped to meet a McDonalds promotion deadline.

Not really sure about the GameGear/Master System and CD games

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CD was likely built on Sonic 1 in parallel to Sonic 2. They may have forked Sonic 2's in-development codebase when they got started, but it was still pretty early.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 26, 2019

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Dehry posted:

Not really sure about the GameGear/Master System and CD games

Same deal with the 8 bit ones.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ArfJason posted:

The only saddening thing is that now all the gaps are being filled, well, we're running out of interesting things to find out. A lot of the early mysteries have been mapped out, like what was genocide city, why is flying battery in sonic 3's menu, what was in the nick arcade beta, whats that sky chase dragon thing. Whats left is minutiae i guess and i love it too, and im glad everyone can play these instead of the eeproms rotting in some collectors basement, and idm exactly the feeling but ill miss it.

That's just part of getting old all the mystery in the world fades, things that once brought you joy cease to do so, and then you die

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Stairmaster posted:

That's just part of getting old all the mystery in the world fades, things that once brought you joy cease to do so, and then you die

So what you're saying is the best is yet to come!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

So what you're saying is the best is yet to come!

:hmmyes:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I really don’t think there’s much mystery to solve re Sonic 3. Sega would rather consider It, the last half of its cornerstone series’ initial cycle, abandonware to avoid any litigious action or consequence and the fans just need to make do like they have since 2006 when this franchise, as a game series, metastasised into a joke to the outside world.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
mannnnn, i decided to listen to the vocal themes from the avatar levels in Sonic Forces again and such great Sonic bops deserve to be in a better game. Forces was such a black hole of mediocrity for what Unleashed 4: Colours 3 - Generations 2 should have been

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah all the vocal tracks fuckin' bang

I like Shadow's mixes too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Box of Bunnies posted:

mannnnn, i decided to listen to the vocal themes from the avatar levels in Sonic Forces again and such great Sonic bops deserve to be in a better game. Forces was such a black hole of mediocrity for what Unleashed 4: Colours 3 - Generations 2 should have been

Colors was a very good game but man did it do some damage to the franchise. SEGA learned all the wrong lessons from its success.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Like what? Outside of putting in Wisps all the time and using the same writers (who were already doing Generations anyway) I can’t think of much else.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
my biggest disappointment with Colours ongoing place in the series is that instead of looking at the Wisp powers and thinking "hey, this would be a really good template for classic-style multiple player characters with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles inherently having boost, hover, and dig powers respectively and having branching paths for each character within a single stage making use of those abilities" they decided 'gently caress it, just keep shoving the Wisps into everything even though they no longer make sense in context'

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

I really don’t think there’s much mystery to solve re Sonic 3. Sega would rather consider It, the last half of its cornerstone series’ initial cycle, abandonware to avoid any litigious action or consequence and the fans just need to make do like they have since 2006 when this franchise, as a game series, metastasised into a joke to the outside world.

For the most part, Sonic 1 and 2 are this as well thanks to Nakamura/Dreams Come True. Early 90s Sega were not very good at covering their asses legally.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Like what? Outside of putting in Wisps all the time and using the same writers (who were already doing Generations anyway) I can’t think of much else.

Mostly those two things, I guess. Wisps feel extremely jammed in and out of place at this point and ever since Colors, the tone of each game has been really janky and the dialogue has mostly sucked.

The cutscenes all really, REALLY suck now, the lighting sucks, the models suck, everything is just really stilted and bad and fake and I dunno how to even articulate what I hate about them cleanly but they're really bad. Also, I feel like Generations aside, the Sonic gameplay has been bad since after Colors, but those things might just be coincidences.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I always kinda didn't like Colors so much. The 3D sections were cool but it felt like such a chore when it went 2D. That Sonic felt bad to do platforming with

And yeah, there never really was an organic way to keep wisps in the series past Colors. I never beat the game, so maybe they settled on Mobius after everything was said and done.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
No the ending was pretty unambiguous that they were leaving.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't mind the Wisps still being around, but having Sonic only able to boost via Wisp was a weird mechanic to keep around in Forces, and they had no business being in Lost World at all. The Wispon was a neat idea that let you tackle levels in different ways, or it would have been if Forces wasn't what it was, but mostly I don't want the games to just be all about the Wisps constantly.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I never gave a poo poo that the Wisps didn't "make sense" outside of Colours or whatever, they just somehow stopped coming up with fun uses for them after that one game. Like, they're just one-use powerups, how is that so hard to screw up?

Bloody Pom posted:

For the most part, Sonic 1 and 2 are this as well thanks to Nakamura/Dreams Come True. Early 90s Sega were not very good at covering their asses legally.

Not really, those games show up all over the place and Sega's able and willing to use those classic tunes in other contexts when they deem it worth the expense. They don't outright own the music but they're perfectly capable of paying Nakamura with no complications, which evidently isn't true of S3&K.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s been suggested that Sega was not supposed to use the songs in Sonic 3 after Michael Jackson & company moonwalked out of the arrangement. So while the songs in 1 & 2 may be fair game so long as you pay royalties, such a deal may have never been struck for 3.

Having said that, Sega has no problem tossing money at Tee Lopes since Mania, so why not have him compose replacement tracks? Or poo poo, have someone remix the PC tracks so they don’t stick out like a sore thumb.

There has to be another reason for Sega’s allergy to Sonic 3, because there are multiple ways around the soundtrack issues.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

It's effort. They're actually allergic to effort.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Mania was effort and they still managed that.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It's kinda astounding that they still havent announced a follow up to Sonic Mania yet, if I were sega I'd loving fire Sonic Team and just make the sonic mania team the people handling the franchise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sonic Mania should be a once-a-generation thing at most, if they crank them out every year or two people will stop caring pretty quickly. Nintendo learned that lesson when they put out two NSMB games within months of each other, Capcom learned it when Megaman 10 didn't get nearly as much buzz as MM9, etc.

"Mania" as a general brand for retro sequels to classic games could definitely be a regular thing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
blazehedgehog recently released a video about sonic 3's legal issues which is why i thought people were talking about it here but from what ive seen noones linked it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LDIn-3J_s0

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

"Mania" as a general brand for retro sequels to classic games could definitely be a regular thing.

Sonic Mania R that's just a new album of sweet 90s eurodance

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Sonic 3 Complete romhack having the option to use Genesis-style versions of the S3K PC tracks is even more hilarious in hindsight now that the prototype has been unearthed.

They even used the 'unused' track as a replacement Super Sonic theme. Were they sitting on this prototype the whole time? :tinfoil:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic Mania should be a once-a-generation thing at most, if they crank them out every year or two people will stop caring pretty quickly. Nintendo learned that lesson when they put out two NSMB games within months of each other, Capcom learned it when Megaman 10 didn't get nearly as much buzz as MM9, etc.

I think an honest 2D Sonic game that isn’t aping the 90s look and feel would be a nice idea for the next mainline Sonic game. I don’t think that should be the direction the franchise should lean into super hard, but it’d be cool seeing what a “next-gen” 2D Sonic would look like without being developed as padding for the boost formula.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Okay but only if it's all remixes of the original music but other composers, set to a montage of angry Richard Jacques tweets.

Pants Donkey posted:

I think an honest 2D Sonic game that isn’t aping the 90s look and feel would be a nice idea for the next mainline Sonic game. I don’t think that should be the direction the franchise should lean into super hard, but it’d be cool seeing what a “next-gen” 2D Sonic would look like without being developed as padding for the boost formula.

For as too-little, too-late as it was, I always thought Sonic 4 ep2 looked fine - the stage themes themselves were uninspired but it didn't look nearly as slapdash as the first episode, so something like that but more than zero personality would be fine by me. They even got the physics pretty close to classic, not that the level design got much better.

More than anything, I guess I want a 2DHD Hesse game.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Chad Sonic 1 and 2: Get dope Akon remix of one of their credits themes for Sonic 06
Virgin Sonic 3 & Knuckles: Foreverly locked in the vault because SEGA doesn't want to touch their music

Okay but only if it's all remixes of the original music but other composers, set to a montage of angry Richard Jacques tweets.

I only heard that he was kind of a douche recently, so i was more kind of hoping for original compositions in the original style either with or without him

but if it would make a prick mad to hear other people arranging his poo poo then yeah, i'd be cool with a Sonic R remix album too

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 3, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuEL7-U12sA

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The fact that Mania even happened is unbelievable, but that won't stop me from wanting a game in the same style by the same team with all new zones more than any other game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

New movie poster

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I can't unsee Harry from Disco Elysium.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

More than anything, I guess I want a 2DHD Hesse game.
Normally I'm a huge fan of the 16-bit aesthetic but now I'm imagining something along the lines of Wario Land Shake It!/The Shake Dimension's art style but with Tyson Hesse and I want it.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 4, 2019

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Screaming Idiot posted:

I can't unsee Harry from Disco Elysium.

Shadow hangs from the tree in the backyard of green hill zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
That just looks like the weird final boss from this game https://youtu.be/i-Zkyf_22R0