Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
My newshosting subscription is set to expire in December and I figured these BF sales are a way better time to re-up than to wait until the end of the year.

I'm tempted to pick up theCubeNet's $30/year deal as I was previously paying 99.99 for newshosting.

Is Highwinds the backbone of choice? Would I see an appreciable difference on a separate backbone? I often get many failed downloads before finding one that works, it's usually on older content and it's not terribly inconvenient but I'd like to eliminate the manual process as much as possible. Newer stuff usually gets picked up without issue.

I've never used a backup block account, but maybe this is something I should consider as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

ThunderNews deals:
https://www.thundernews.com/signup_bf_2019.php

$25/year lifetime deal

quote:

4120+ Days Binary Retention
1265+ Days Text Retention
50 Simultaneous Connections
256 bit SSL Encryption Included
2 US Servers
2 EU Servers

There's also $10/1.5TB and $18/3TB blocks.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I haven't been in the market for awhile, but what's a good target sale price for blocks?

The guy on the last page made the suggestion that a TB/month is the break even where unlimited starts making sense and with unlimited plan sales coming out to under $3/month, is less than $3/TB blocks something that actually happens? That's like half of the best price on the block sales mentioned so far and a long ways off from the last time I was paying attention...

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What does the AVS tag mean?
Sonarr grabbed a episode of something where the only audiotrack is for i assume blind people since it has a guy reading out everything that is happening on screen. I would like it to not do that again, but the only tag on the download is AVS. And like, this is probably a scene tag or something right? Probably don't want to blacklist it?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Also curious if any of these deals are worth ditching my $10/supernews deal that I've been with forever. Hmm

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Fancy_Lad posted:

I haven't been in the market for awhile, but what's a good target sale price for blocks?

The guy on the last page made the suggestion that a TB/month is the break even where unlimited starts making sense and with unlimited plan sales coming out to under $3/month, is less than $3/TB blocks something that actually happens? That's like half of the best price on the block sales mentioned so far and a long ways off from the last time I was paying attention...

I think $7/TB is the cheapest I recall seeing, but it looks very likely that we're going to see that beat since we're already seeing $18 for 3TB. I'm personally waiting until Black Friday since none of these seem to expire before then and I suspect we'll see something better show up then.

Since we're seeing unlimited go for $2.08/mo currently and 1.5TB blocks for $10 it seems like the cutoff for unlimited making sense is about 312GB/mo at those rates.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

ThunderNews deals:
https://www.thundernews.com/signup_bf_2019.php

$25/year lifetime deal

There's also $10/1.5TB and $18/3TB blocks.

These guys are known to boot customers who download a few TB a month on unlimited plans.

I think NewsDemon will match any deal if you message their support team. That's what I would do instead of buying from this company.

cr0y posted:

Also curious if any of these deals are worth ditching my $10/supernews deal that I've been with forever. Hmm

There's no good reason to spend that much these days. You're better off paying for a good indexer that uploads their own obfuscated posts and going with the cheapest Highwinds deal, in my opinion.

sedative fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Nov 26, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

sedative posted:

These guys are known to boot customers who download a few TB a month on unlimited plans.

I think NewsDemon will match any deal if you message their support team. That's what I would do instead of buying from this company.

There's no good reason to spend that much these days. You're better off paying for a good indexer that uploads their own obfuscated posts and going with the cheapest Highwinds deal, in my opinion.

That's kind of what I figured and the only reason I'm still on supernews is laziness.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Dongattack posted:

What does the AVS tag mean?
Sonarr grabbed a episode of something where the only audiotrack is for i assume blind people since it has a guy reading out everything that is happening on screen. I would like it to not do that again, but the only tag on the download is AVS. And like, this is probably a scene tag or something right? Probably don't want to blacklist it?

AVS is the group name. They just made a mistake. I see the episode you're talking about and it doesn't look like anyone released a proper HDTV version, just a BAMBOOZLE web version.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

sedative posted:

AVS is the group name. They just made a mistake. I see the episode you're talking about and it doesn't look like anyone released a proper HDTV version, just a BAMBOOZLE web version.

Ah okay then, everyone makes mistakes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sedative posted:

Interesting. I don't really foresee myself downloading multi TB/month, so it shouldn't be an issue, but I can't get their Upgrade Plan page to work when I log into my existing account. It's just a blank page :shrug:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah I signed up with Thundernews too and its been over 4 hours without any login info sent. I checked spam and submitted a ticket but so far not the greatest first impression haha.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just checked my email and when I signed up with them last month, they sent my info just about instantly. Which included the account password in plain text :lol:. So yeah, when you get it, definitely change your pass right away.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's pretty much standard operating procedure for most of these businesses ha.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
That Thundernews unlimited looks like something I should ditch my $6 Newsgroup Ninja for. I use about 300GB a month so about in line with the break point for unlimited over block.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'd keep your $6 sub in place for a month or so in case you're not getting the results you want. At worst, you lose $6, at best you're able to keep your rate with a service you trust if Thunder is a mess for you.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I can't upgrade my monthly Thunder account to that unlimited deal. It's just giving me a blank page when I'm logged in and try to do the upgrade plan thing.

I just signed up for the deal like I was a new customer, and everything went through and now I'm waiting on my (second) account info.

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah I signed up with Thundernews too and its been over 4 hours without any login info sent. I checked spam and submitted a ticket but so far not the greatest first impression haha.

I'll report back if/when I get my info email, but nothing yet after 5 mins.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I got a newsdemon account for $3/month last year, it has been pretty excellent as I haven't added anything to my block account in what seems like forever. I wonder if they will go lower this year. :lol:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Like Newsdemon that everyone recommends nowadays was loving sketch a few years, but I'm cheap and needed a backup for Tweaknews so I signed up with them again.

But I always expect the worse with these providers especially ones with super low pricing.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Usenet.Farm has 50% off their monthly plans with the code BF2019 and 30% off their blocks with BF2019BLOCK.

Here's a megathread of all the deals https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/comments/e1zer3/black_friday_deals_megathread/

edit: I mentioned matching deals at NewsDemon earlier. This is from their owner

quote:

To price match at NewsDemon you need to email match<at>NewsDemon.com

To price match at NewsgroupDirect you can go here https://newsgroupdirect.com/usenet-deals and sign up directly. If we don’t have the match on there yet, email support<at>NewsgroupDirect.com and they can add it.

NewsDemon has the full 4000+ days retention from Highwinds and NewsgroupDirect is a separate backbone with much lower retention. I can't find an exact number.

I just tested some of my own posts and at around 60 days old I started getting a ton of missing articles on NewsgroupDirect. I know they're complete on other providers. They seem like garbage.

sedative fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 26, 2019

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Stay away from NewsgroupDirect. They broke away from being a Highwinds reseller without telling anyone right away in August making their retention go to poo poo. They won't be able to recover until some time later which no one will know.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was with them for like $4 a month or whatever, and ended up going back to NewsHosting (I think I paid like $80 for a year just to get back to an account I could trust, typically back in July so I'm halfway through a cycle but eh it's cheap enough tbh). I know their owner is on Reddit and they run 2 systems, but it was too much messing around when I just wanted stuff to work and I was getting horrendous %ages. Might be better now.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Baba Oh Really posted:

Stay away from NewsgroupDirect. They broke away from being a Highwinds reseller without telling anyone right away in August making their retention go to poo poo. They won't be able to recover until some time later which no one will know.

Got them 2 years back and I've noticed recently that older stuff seems to be missing. Now it makes sense why. They were fine at the beginning. However, they are calling NewsDemon their "sister site". Will they pull the same crap as well? Should one go to some completely other provider?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

Volguus posted:

Got them 2 years back and I've noticed recently that older stuff seems to be missing. Now it makes sense why. They were fine at the beginning. However, they are calling NewsDemon their "sister site". Will they pull the same crap as well? Should one go to some completely other provider?

They said they couldn't come to an agreement with Omicron/Highwinds to keep reselling their service. If it can happen to them it can probably happen to NewsDemon.

The interesting thing in this case is that NewsDemon and NewsgroupDirect's owner is also a part owner of UsenetExpress (a separate tier 1 provider), so in a way they're helping to fund a Highwinds competitor by reselling Highwinds' service. I would guess that's why Omicron didn't want to do business with them anymore.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Volguus posted:

I was in the same boat as you. I did have them for about 3 years and it was completely fine. Apparently their negotiations broke down with Omicron but I have no idea about NewsDemon. If you start noticing a lot of missing articles, I recommend switching.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So far I'm considering a return to NewsDemon (until they get amnesia again, lol) if they can pricematch ThunderNews. Usenet.Farm looks tempting as I would be quite happy on the EUR2.48 plan.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Heners_UK posted:

So far I'm considering a return to NewsDemon (until they get amnesia again, lol) if they can pricematch ThunderNews. Usenet.Farm looks tempting as I would be quite happy on the EUR2.48 plan.

Newsdemon will release their new prices in 2.5 days https://www.newsdemon.com/Usenet-Black-Friday.php

Not That Into You
Oct 29, 2007

Stockwell posted:

I got an email from Astraweb today, looks like they figured out their billing issues so the free ride is over.
Just came home to a dreaded "Failed login for server ssl-us.astraweb.com". It was a good run.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

https://www.eweka.nl/en/promo/ and https://www.tweaknews.eu/en/landing/bfcm-2019 are live.

€60/year unlimited for each. They both follow NTD instead of DMCA, so things might stay up longer. Eweka is limited to 300mbit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Re: Thunder News

I had problems switching from their monthly plan to the BF yearly play, so I submitted a help ticket. Looks like they replied to it 15 mins later and changed my plan for me.

So if you haven’t received a confirmation email from them, may want to try to email them or send in a help ticket.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Got ThunderNews yesterday. I've read about their "unlimited" being few TB per month, but for the price and retention I figured it's worth it. It took them a few hours (4) to send me the login information, but it finally came. I was able to grab a 3000 days post from them, same thing NewsgroupDirect would fail at.

Downside: The speeds were not that great. The most I could get was 32MB/s (that is bytes, not bits), while I am able to hit 90MB/s with NewsgroupDirect. It's still decently fast enough though, and I paid for the year so we'll see.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Volguus posted:

Got ThunderNews yesterday. I've read about their "unlimited" being few TB per month, but for the price and retention I figured it's worth it. It took them a few hours (4) to send me the login information, but it finally came. I was able to grab a 3000 days post from them, same thing NewsgroupDirect would fail at.

Downside: The speeds were not that great. The most I could get was 32MB/s (that is bytes, not bits), while I am able to hit 90MB/s with NewsgroupDirect. It's still decently fast enough though, and I paid for the year so we'll see.

I signed up yesterday and still haven't received my login info. That slow speed might be a dealbreaker for me though, I'm also coming from NewsgroupDirect where I could easily hit 90MB/s+. Might just cancel if it's that bad.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
I assume you have tried tweaking your connection limit? Some providers are much faster if you limit them a bit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haha I’m happy to hit 6MB/s on my 50 line.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

norp posted:

I assume you have tried tweaking your connection limit? Some providers are much faster if you limit them a bit.

What do you mean by "tweaking connection limit"? They say they allow 50 simultaneous connections, I set it to 35 in nzbget to allow for other services to access it every now and then. Anything else I should be looking at?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Volguus posted:

What do you mean by "tweaking connection limit"? They say they allow 50 simultaneous connections, I set it to 35 in nzbget to allow for other services to access it every now and then. Anything else I should be looking at?

There is a sweet spot when it comes to connections and it depends on your line speed. Throw a big file in your queue and go plus or minus a few connections to see where you max out at.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What is the goto block provider in the US thats on highwinds?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

cr0y posted:

There is a sweet spot when it comes to connections and it depends on your line speed. Throw a big file in your queue and go plus or minus a few connections to see where you max out at.

This sounds like a research project. I'm down for it. Should have done it long time ago.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

cr0y posted:

What is the goto block provider in the US thats on highwinds?

Whatever's cheapest. They're all the same. Currently ThunderNews' $10 for 1.5 TB or $18 for 3 TB is the best deal https://www.thundernews.com/signup_bf_2019.php

If anyone was holding out for a $20 Newshosting deal, don't bother. Their deal is $50 https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=bfcm-2019

UsenetExpress:

$55 for 2 years unlimited https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup?product_id_page-0%5B%5D=7-11&coupon=BF55FOR2

$15 for 6 months unlimited https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup?product_id_page-0%5B%5D=6-10&coupon=BF6FOR15

$5 for 500 GB blocks. Buy 3 get 1 free (message their support team after purchasing 3) https://members.usenetexpress.com/signup?product_id_page-0%5B%5D=9-13&coupon=BFBLOCKS

sedative fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Unrelated, anyone seen any good deals on larger capacity hard drives? My 8TB just died. 😭