Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I just shucked two WD 10 TB drives out of a My Book and an Elements. They were the white label variant. To get them to run in a regular NAS, you have to break off the third pin with a box cutter (just bend it upwards, it will break off cleanly). Some people use tape to block off the pin, but breaking is easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I have a few of those drives, luckily my DAS doesn't care about the pin.

For large, cheap drives keep an eye on the WD EasyStores at Best Buy and act fast, because people watch those things like hawks now.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Biodome posted:

Unrelated, anyone seen any good deals on larger capacity hard drives? My 8TB just died. 😭

I got a 10TB external on prime day for like $150 I am sure someone is going to have deals tomorrow and cyber Monday.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man I’ve been sticking to WD reds in my NAS, but wow is that WD Easystore cheap in comparison.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Easystores used to be Reds back in the day, now they're the white labels. My 2x 8TBs are Red, my 2x 10TBs are White. Hoping they all have good longetivity! I'm thinking of every year buying a new drive, moving the data off the oldest drive and keep cycling them like that.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Amazon has had the Elements 8TB for $125 for the last few weeks which shucks to a white label drive. If you happen to have the Prime credit card you get 15% back which makes it even cheaper.

Best Buy has been putting 8TB externals on sale for $130 for the last two years if I recall correctly. Curious to see if they finally break that barrier by something significant or drop the 10TB below $160.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, $169.99 is the cheapest I paid for a 10 before tax. I paid a little more last time, I think it was on a sale just not their lowest price.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The home nas thread has a continuous boner for hard drive deals: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&pagenumber=550&perpage=40

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah, follow the home NAS thread. There were 12tb for $180 a week or so back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Easystores used to be Reds back in the day, now they're the white labels. My 2x 8TBs are Red, my 2x 10TBs are White. Hoping they all have good longetivity! I'm thinking of every year buying a new drive, moving the data off the oldest drive and keep cycling them like that.

That’s exactly what I do. My NAS runs unraid, so I have a bunch of random-sized drives. When I get a new one, I just replace the smallest drive. If I get a drive larger than any currently in it, I get a pair since the largest has to be the parity drive.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Biodome posted:

Unrelated, anyone seen any good deals on larger capacity hard drives? My 8TB just died. 😭

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah, follow the home NAS thread. There were 12tb for $180 a week or so back.

And right now: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-12tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/6364259.p?skuId=6364259

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
After some initial setup woes I'm good to go on Thundernews and the speeds for me were fine on the US server anyway, I used a 40 connection limit and it's maxing out my downstream. I did a few completion tests and it seems good so far, going to cancel Supernews. Thanks for saving me a pile of money fellas!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I assume this is just a platter HD inside that I just tear out?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I assume this is just a platter HD inside that I just tear out?

Yeah it's real easy, takes a few minutes. You just cut up a store card and jam it in a few places then use another part of the card to push the clips then you just unscrew a few bits and you're left with a regular drive. You'll need either a T6 or T8 torx screwdriver (I forget which one, I have both from a Mac teardown I did) to get 4 of the screws out but that's the only extra thing you'll need.

The price on that 12TB is pretty solid for sure. It's incredible how big single drives have gotten.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

There's my sign. Thanks, ordered.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: nm

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Even though video guides are usually slow as hell this was a good guide to shucking WD externals and it wasn't padded out to 10+ minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6VCQ64DkfM

If you keep the 3v3 pin and the external case you can even ship it in for warranty replacement if it dies early. I used a little piece of kapton/polyamide tape over mine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I can download stuff so fast these days I've rather given up caring about saving movies or TV series in any meaningful way

By the time i get round to wanting to watch something again it can usually be got in the time it takes to make a pizza or whatever

If anything I need less storage than I did a few years back with h265 releases being more common and not having to save stuff 'just in case'

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

cr0y posted:

There is a sweet spot when it comes to connections and it depends on your line speed. Throw a big file in your queue and go plus or minus a few connections to see where you max out at.

Ive found that some providers max out my 50mbit at 10 connections and others at 20.
I think it depends on how long it takes for the teardown/setup of each one

Each article basically has a bit of overhead that doesn't use much traffic so you want a bunch of extra connections running while that's happening, but too many will start oversaturating your link (or stressing your computer) and reducing overall speed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

I can download stuff so fast these days I've rather given up caring about saving movies or TV series in any meaningful way

By the time i get round to wanting to watch something again it can usually be got in the time it takes to make a pizza or whatever

If anything I need less storage than I did a few years back with h265 releases being more common and not having to save stuff 'just in case'

I haven't actually done a survey but I'd bet at least 50% of stuff I download is DMCA'ed off of usenet shortly after it gets uploaded.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't actually done a survey but I'd bet at least 50% of stuff I download is DMCA'ed off of usenet shortly after it gets uploaded.

Sure, but then by the time you actually want to watch it again and its dropped off the DMCA radar?

Downloading anything over a year old is easy

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

Sure, but then by the time you actually want to watch it again and its dropped off the DMCA radar?

Downloading anything over a year old is easy

Hmm, my experience has been that if you pick a random older movie and want to watch it it's going to be missing too many parts. But, again, that's just a feeling based on limited experience in going back for older stuff.

Anyway, I mainly horde stuff because I don't expect the usenet easy DL'ing train to last forever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I dunno, maybe it's because I've got a decent spread of block accounts across all the providers but I've only really had issues with super recent stuff

Anything older and someone will have re released it and its available. And there's always a torrent if not

E: I'm not saying i delete stuff as soon as i watch it, but anything more than a few years old? There will be a better version out there by now i can download in under 10 minutes

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 28, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, my experience has been that if you pick a random older movie and want to watch it it's going to be missing too many parts. But, again, that's just a feeling based on limited experience in going back for older stuff.

Anyway, I mainly horde stuff because I don't expect the usenet easy DL'ing train to last forever.

I experienced that lately too. Turns out it was my lovely provider. A better provider doesn't have that issue with 10 year old posts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
With Newsdemon, I don't think I've missed yet when downloading an older post of a movie. Really the only issue I've had is with a kids show I recently tried to download. I guess Cartoon Network is better than the big studios at DMCAing stuff.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What are the good free indexers? Looking to supplement to my nzbgeek.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like DrunkenSlug. They're also doing a BF deal where if you pay for a year of VIP you get another 6mo free.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
For those who went with Thundernews, how long did it take you to get your login details. I got the receipt almost immediately, but I'm still waiting on the subsequent email 18 hours later.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Submit a support ticket. They have a category for not receiving info. My 2 tickets have been responded to and resolved within 30 mins each time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

On the flipside, I have still not received my login info since payment two days ago. Support ticket sent yesterday and they haven't responded. I'm close to doing a chargeback.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Bulknews (Abavia)
6000GB block for €15 with code bfcm19 Regularly €140
https://www.bulknews.eu/en/usenet-block-6000-gb/

Newshosting (Highwinds)
$35.88/year unlimited
https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=exclusive-bfcm-2019-sale

UsenetPrime (UsenetExpress)
$3/month unlimited | $30/year unlimited | 3x500GB block $10 | 3x1TB block $15
https://usenetprime.com/black-friday/

UsenetNews (Usenet.Farm, UsenetExpress, Uzo Reto)
$9.99/month "unlimited" (2TB monthly limit on Usenet.Farm, unlimited on the others) Gives you access to three backbones
https://cheapuse.net/holidays/

NewsDemon (Highwinds)
Deals start at 7am Eastern
https://www.newsdemon.com/Usenet-Black-Friday.php

sedative fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 29, 2019

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
We'll, my astraweb just mysteriously re-activated. Didn't do anything but they decided to turn it back on. My download queue cleared itself overnight (although my xsnews free account did a champion job at not getting it too far behind).

Guess I'm buying a block.

EDIT: No it didnt... but not sure what did?

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 29, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

e: nm

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I have the $40/yr plan with newsgroupdirect but have been noticing tons and tons of incomplete downloads lately. Which of those block providers would be a good supplment, or more than one? Willing to buy a few here, they're pretty cheap and should last a while as backup sources.

Follow up question i havent looked into this in ages, should i not be on NewsgroupDirect at all?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

charity rereg posted:

Follow up question i havent looked into this in ages, should i not be on NewsgroupDirect at all?

They changed backend in the Summer, and back when they changed over it was abysmal with virtually no retention. It might be better now, but it was enough for me to jump ship.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Newsdemon won me back in the end.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Heners_UK posted:

Newsdemon won me back in the end.

uh they currently have $30 for 14 months reocurring $2.15 a month :eyepop: ok yeah i'll do this. and maybe pick up a block from Abavia

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

charity rereg posted:

uh they currently have $30 for 14 months reocurring $2.15 a month :eyepop: ok yeah i'll do this. and maybe pick up a block from Abavia

I'm asking them to pricematch thunder news $25/12mo = $2.083/mo... IMAGINE WHAT I COULD DO WITH THAT 7 cents!?

EDIT: Solved my reappearing service mystery. Astraweb really has stopped my account actually working, but it appears I had a Blocknews block I had completely forgotten I had.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 29, 2019

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Fun fact: If you have a super fast internet connection and use direct download in sabnzbd and are using an external USB drive sabnzbds cache will fill up and your speed will go to poo poo because the entire thing can't keep up due to the additional disk access direct unpack causes. You can probably remedy this by having your incomplete folder on an SSD but I don't have the space on my little intel NUC i am using for my home theater setup :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

nzbgeek is doing 25% off VIG subs too