Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Tei posted:

Better shaders. I imagine the PS4 shaders are easy on the hardware and look worse.

It's the PC version, so I imagine this is probably true due to having a lot more VRAM to work with. Especially if you're talking base PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tei posted:

Better shaders. I imagine the PS4 shaders are easy on the hardware and look worse.

That makes sense, but I'm wondering more about the compression.

leftist heap posted:

Every person I've seen so far with a Stadia clearly has enough money for a decent gaming PC and probably already has one. So far its uptake seems to be just nerds who will try any dumb tech poo poo.

Yeah it's not even cheaper than a console. You can get a version of the Xbox One for $150 now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Every person I've seen so far with a Stadia clearly has enough money for a decent gaming PC and probably already has one. So far its uptake seems to be just nerds who will try any dumb tech poo poo.

I have both a decent gaming PC and Stadia... Stadia for me is about laptop and tv without having to buy a console. I was unaware that shield let me stream for free I thought they were implementing a. $25/20hr of streaming price.
I've tried steam streaming box and streaming to laptop and it just doesn't work well even graphically stupid games like 7D2D look like poo poo.

My hope is Stadia fills the gap for casual gaming needs and my desktop can stick to being my iracing spot.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

That's the pricing for GeForce NOW and it's kind of silly, I don't know why they're going with a typical cloud computing model when the real money is in set it and forget it subscriptions, where most of the clients will play <10 hours anyway. Feels weird paying more than $1/hr to play games on your own equipment.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The different ecosystems basically destroys any chance of stadia bridging any sort of gap a user might have between a high end desktop and something to use while you are out of your house/apartment.

When I got mobilization orders that I knew I was going to spend 2+ years near constantly moving around without access to my desktop I just bought a mid tier laptop and pre-loaded a bunch of backlogged older games that I had and just slowly burned through them. The places I was staying at didn't have good internet either so its not like a streaming service, even if free, was viable.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Peace out nerds!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

American McGay posted:

Peace out nerds!

Still no Canada option :argh:

I'm also not mainly using an Android device, though I do have an old Sony Xperia.

South Korea is a country option, though, interestingly, especially since PSNow apparently isn't there yet.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

No Wave posted:

I think it's crazy that people would choose "more pixels than 1080p" over responsiveness and not having lag spikes and shifting image/animation quality. You get more pixels than something that already looks great but lose on everything else, it makes no sense.

More likely, nobody is actually making that choice and stadia users are people who are rigidly opposed to owning a console for whatever reason.

the average person wants games that both look good and play well even if they don't know the specific terms for things

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

leftist heap posted:

so is Stadia for hardcore gamers who care about fidelity or not

No one really knows, least of all Google.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
drat xCloud is loving wild man. Google hosed up so hard when they marketed this poo poo to the teraflop 4K crowd. There is a future for game streaming and that future is based in convenience and on-the-go play.

This poo poo basically just turns your Xbox into a Switch. Going home for Thanksgiving? Just bring an Xbox controller and boom, there's all your games. When this officially launches it's going to obliterate whatever is left of Stadia. The whole thing is incredibly slick.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
But xCloud only does 720p!!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

charity rereg posted:

That's the pricing for GeForce NOW and it's kind of silly, I don't know why they're going with a typical cloud computing model when the real money is in set it and forget it subscriptions, where most of the clients will play <10 hours anyway. Feels weird paying more than $1/hr to play games on your own equipment.

What?

No part of this is correct. With a Shield TV and an nVidia GPU in your gaming PC, you can stream your games to your Shield from your PC over your network. You don't need any sort of subscription for that.

Geforce Now is in free beta, and will let you stream games in your library to your Shield from an nVidia server over the internet. There have been no indications of what it will actually cost when it's out of beta.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

720p is enough 'p's. there's no need for any more 'p's

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

univbee posted:

They do the same thing for 16-bit applications but only on the 32-bit versions of Windows. So on the 64-bit versions of Windows there's no way to run a 16-bit executable, which includes a lot of older game installers (although not necessarily the games themselves).

This results in some weirdness like some official-but-deprecated Microsoft software can require some weird digging to find 32-bit versions of them if they exist at all, like Microsoft used to have some sort of index card software and it still existed in like Windows XP x64 or some such.

They do handle some 16 bit edge cases, like applications that are 32 bit but come with 16 bit versions of ACME Setup or InstallShield5. The system will execute its own installer instead of the incompatible 16 bit one even on 64 bit Windows.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

American McGay posted:

drat xCloud is loving wild man. Google hosed up so hard when they marketed this poo poo to the teraflop 4K crowd. There is a future for game streaming and that future is based in convenience and on-the-go play.

This poo poo basically just turns your Xbox into a Switch. Going home for Thanksgiving? Just bring an Xbox controller and boom, there's all your games. When this officially launches it's going to obliterate whatever is left of Stadia. The whole thing is incredibly slick.

I'm literally doing this today - only on my parents TV in 4K (upscaled :)) and my laptop, and not my 5" phone screen in 720p

Probably just a bunch of astroturfers, right? /s
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e2it3g/as_someone_who_has_been_in_the_geforce_now_beta/

hostile apostle fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 27, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

hostile apostle posted:

I'm literally doing this today - only on my parents TV in 4K (upscaled :)) and my laptop, and not my 5" phone screen in 720p

Probably just a bunch of astroturfers, right? /s
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e2it3g/as_someone_who_has_been_in_the_geforce_now_beta/
Yeah but yours only has 20 bad games which you have to buy. I'm playing Forza and Madden and Ace Combat 7 and Devil May Cry 5 and HITMAN and Ori for free.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad

American McGay posted:

Yeah but yours only has 20 bad games which you have to buy. I'm playing Forza and Madden and Ace Combat 7 and Devil May Cry 5 and HITMAN and Ori for free.

In a non public beta, but sure...

Let's where the catalog and feature set on Stadia is whenever xcloud launches in whatever form in the indefinite future. Until then its baseless speculation.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

hostile apostle posted:

Let's where the catalog and feature set on Stadia is whenever xcloud launches in whatever form in the indefinite future. Until then its baseless speculation.

0/10

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I'm really interested in game streaming as a technology. Not enough to pay the Stadia asking price, but I'm looking forward to trying it out when the free tier rolls around. I've messed around with streaming a bit before: I played Assassin's Creed Odyssey on my Dad PC (Overpowered gaming rig that I use 2-3 hours a week) from my iPad via Steam Link and it ran essentially perfectly (3 or 4 ~1 second hiccups per hour). I also tried remote play via PS4 on a local connection but found it basically unusable, which is weird because Steam Link works so well on the same network. And I subscribe to PS Now, which is a fantastic value that everyone should be using if they're remotely interested in Streaming, and that works great. I think Stadia could be really great but the value proposition is so bad right now, especially when compared to PSNow that it's hard to imagine it ever catching on unless they seriously change the business model.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hostile apostle posted:

In private beta stadia had 1 game

You really are not helping yourself. A beta is better than a released product

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

leftist heap posted:

That’s why they said “like a Switch”.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Does Xcloud use your Xbox as the server? Is it like Remote Play on PS4?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Playing stadia games at your parents lmao shameful go fuckin make dinner you lazy rear end you’re old as gently caress

god drat local gameplay would have saved the day again preventing you from being a lazy child

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

No it uses Microsoft Azure blades, but it syncs all the saves from your account and your friends list and everything so the UI feels like you're playing on your own Xbox.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

hostile apostle posted:

Have you tried to get into the beta? It's an open registration, and you really don't have to wait very long. Try it, you might like it!

What are your thoughts on the value proposition of Stadia vs Playstation Now?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
PSNow has Bloodborne and lets you play it on PC. That makes it worth an amount of money greater than no amount of money.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Have you tried to get into the beta? It's an open registration, and you really don't have to wait very long. Try it, you might like it!
Seriously.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

hostile apostle posted:

what even is your argument here?? Stadia might some day be as good as xCloud’s private beta?

American McGay posted:

No it uses Microsoft Azure blades, but it syncs all the saves from your account and your friends list and everything so the UI feels like you're playing on your own Xbox.

even more features Stadia lacks lol

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
That Stadia is a real released product while xCloud doesn't even have a finalized brand name.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

It can. The Android app has two modes: xCloud (Microsoft's servers) and Home Streaming (your own system). It currently requires you to be in their Xbox Insiders program.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

If anything all this Stadia talk makes me think I should invest in an Xbox. What I hear so far of xCloud sounds like the smarter way to do this kind of thing (I guess that's a low bar though)

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What?

No part of this is correct. With a Shield TV and an nVidia GPU in your gaming PC, you can stream your games to your Shield from your PC over your network. You don't need any sort of subscription for that.

Geforce Now is in free beta, and will let you stream games in your library to your Shield from an nVidia server over the internet. There have been no indications of what it will actually cost when it's out of beta.

This post does not say Shield TV streaming costs money. As I said, what costs money will be GeForce NOW (I am also in the beta). Here is the article with the planned pricing from NVidia, nothing in my post is incorrect based on what we know: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nvidia-geforce-now-price-beta-features/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

If anything all this Stadia talk makes me think I should invest in an Xbox. What I hear so far of xCloud sounds like the smarter way to do this kind of thing (I guess that's a low bar though)

PS4's a better go; Far more games and (if streamed gaming is THAT important) PSNow lets you download titles if they're PS4-compatible. Sony already learned the hard way not everyone has fibre internet.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

leftist heap posted:

It's a clever move. By only offering 720p they dramatically cut down on how much power & bandwidth they need per user and I think more importantly cut down on end-user bandwidth requirements. A reviewer found xCloud uses about 2.36gb/hour, so you only need about 5.2 Mbps which is doable by lovely rural DSL and mobile data. If they offered 1080p, a lot of users would be unhappy when they couldn't get 1080p on the go.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

quote:

We NEED Rocket League on Stadia
Rocket League would be so good on Stadia. You would be able to open up and just take a quick game, and with no latency its just perfect.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
How's that no latency working out for people playing MK11 online

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

leftist heap posted:

How's that no latency working out for people playing MK11 online

Now all characters are Geras.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Alphabet's attempts at union-busting can't be helping the technical situation on Stadia.

:stadia:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

charity rereg posted:

This post does not say Shield TV streaming costs money. As I said, what costs money will be GeForce NOW (I am also in the beta). Here is the article with the planned pricing from NVidia, nothing in my post is incorrect based on what we know: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nvidia-geforce-now-price-beta-features/

Fair enough, I didnt hear about that announcement from CES 2017. That said, i'd be a little shocked if the plan hasnt changed in all this time. I guess its not like we have any info to contradict it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Its my Geforce and I want it now!