Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
Thanks for the recommendos, everybody!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

I'm at a show (PIG, Cyanotic) and someone at the bar mentioned "witchcore" sounding like normal music dropped to G and slowed. This sounds interesting to me. Any recs?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Just listened to the Kendrick Lamar album drat. and... drat. It was great.

What about Kendrick's other stuff, is that good?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Junpei posted:

He’s like the most acclaimed artist of the decade lol

If you loved drat go to Good Kid, m.A.A.d. City next, as it’s far more accessible than his other major release, To Pimp a Butterfly (though you should check that out too).

Section 80 has its fans but it never did much for me personally. Untitled Unmastered is great for what it is but I would argue that it’s not essential.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

He’s like the most acclaimed artist of the decade lol

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Junpei posted:

Yeah and pretty much any track he has a feature on is a great verse so you can't really go wrong with him. His performance at the Grammys is worth watching http://premierwuzhere.com/videos/watch-kendrick-lamars-performance-at-the-58th-grammys/

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally have an occasion to use this thread, though I have two "where do I go from here?" type questions:

First, Iron Maiden has grown on me more recently and I have Number of the Beast and was planning on getting Piece of Mind as that has Trooper on it (I recently heard the song and liked it) but don't know which other albums in their large discography I should look at next.

Secondly, Riot. I have Fire Down Under but as that's considered to be their best album I'm kinda at a loss again here of what to get next/afraid I'm going to be disappointed in whatever I choose. Please guide me mighty music goons!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Turbinosamente posted:

Finally have an occasion to use this thread, though I have two "where do I go from here?" type questions:

First, Iron Maiden has grown on me more recently and I have Number of the Beast and was planning on getting Piece of Mind as that has Trooper on it (I recently heard the song and liked it) but don't know which other albums in their large discography I should look at next.

Secondly, Riot. I have Fire Down Under but as that's considered to be their best album I'm kinda at a loss again here of what to get next/afraid I'm going to be disappointed in whatever I choose. Please guide me mighty music goons!

Funny, I was just listening to Somewhere in Time this morning.

With Maiden I would keep going chronologically through the 80s, though Powerslave is better than Piece of Mind. I also recommend both of the Paul Di'Anno era albums, before Bruce joined. It's a different vibe but still kicks rear end.

The only other Riot album I have is Thundersteel. I recommend it! But hopefully someone else is more helpful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Basically everything Maiden did in the 80s was awesome and you can't go wrong picking it up. I personally think you can just pretend that they stopped writing new material after that, but some people disagree.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Basically everything Maiden did in the 80s was awesome and you can't go wrong picking it up. I personally think you can just pretend that they stopped writing new material after that, but some people disagree.

It's hard to say how much of their recent work counts as "new material"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

One of my coworkers is super into Iron Maiden, and he advised me to not go past their 1988, seventh album, "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son". It's pretty good advice, I wouldn't say any album is bad (but the first album is different with a different vocalist as well).

I've always been interested if any other albums were good past that point, but haven't tried it. (Although I do have the 2000 track "The Wicker Man" which is a fine song.)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Turbinosamente posted:

An effort answer on this:

I normally recommend going chronologically from the start, cause I'm weird like that, but if you've already heard The Number of the Beast and like it, go chronologically from there. Piece of Mind and Powerslave are both equally high quality in terms of production and songs. Aside from The Trooper, you'll get stuff like Where Eagles Dare, Ace's High, 2 Midnight to Midnight, Powerslave itself... Really, all of these albums are excellent, and there aren't any really bad songs on any of them. The album after those, Somewhere in Time, is personally my favorite album of theirs (With the title track and Sea of Madness being maybe my favorite songs of theirs), although I know some people don't think it's quite as good as the ones before it, which, admittedly, are in the discussion of greatest metal albums of all time. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is the last 80's album and the last one with the classic line up, and it incorporates keyboards a bit more prominently while also being a kinda-sorta-not quite concept album. If you are just interested in this era, absolutely look into the live album Live After Death, recorded during the Powerslave tour, which is also one of the greatest live albums ever recorded.

If you've liked that stuff, I'd say then go back to their first two albums with Paul Di'Anno, Iron Maiden and Killers. Their debut album has a very different sound that all of their other albums, with a raw-er, less polished production that isn't bad, but it's a significant change from their other stuff. It's worth listening to for stuff like Prowler and Phantom of the Opera. Killers saw Adrian Smith join the band, the production is closer to the albums that follow, and like all their other albums, I don't think there is really a "bad" song on it, with Wrathchild being a live staple, the title track, Purgatory, and Drifter being favorites of mine.

After that, there's a few different ways you can go:

Option #1 - You can resume going chronologically with 1990's No Prayer for the Dying and 1992's Fear of the Dark. These albums are kinda mediocre. The production on most of the songs is a bit different, and Bruce Dickinson sings in a raspier style that I personally don't quite like as much, but there are some legit good and great songs in here. No Prayer is usually considered their weakest album, although Tailgunner is a personal favorite. Fear of the Dark is better, with the title track being one of the best in their whole catalog, and Be Quick or Be Dead and Afraid to Shoot Strangers are both really good.

If you are going chronologically, from there, you'll run into their third singer, Blaze Bayley. His singing style is very different, and much lower, than Dickinson or Di'Anno. 1995's The X Factor had a terrible cover, and is probably the darkest album they did... but it's not bad. Sign of the Cross, Lord of the Flies, and Man on the Edge are all really good, but it's simply a darker, angrier album and this is kind of the start of Maiden getting a bit lengthier on average (Not that they didn't have long songs before, mind you). The next album, 1998's Virtual XI is less dark, with songs like The Clansman, Futureal, The Angel and the Gambler, and Como Estais Amigos being among my favorites, but compared to everything Maiden did before and after the Bayley's tenure in the band, they'll sound a bit off. Again, the album isn't bad at all, but compared to their 80's stuff, or the few albums that follow it, these two simply drag a little.

Option #2 - If you are still just going chronologically start to finish, or the idea of those four albums doesn't appeal at first glance, you'll now run into 2000's Brave New World. This is where Dickinson and Smith return, creating the three guitar line up they've had since, and it's an extremely solid album. Bruce has obviously aged a bit, but he's not doing the weird AC/DC-like voice he tried in the early 90's, and the first four songs on the album (Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Brave New World, and Blood Brothers) are all excellent. The rest of the album is solid, but somewhat unspectacular. This is really the beginning of their albums getting longer and longer (They're all well over an hour by this point), so while you may find something that clicks for you, some of the deeper cuts are stuff you'll probably forget about quickly. 2003's Dance of Death is similar, highlighted by Wildest Dreams and Paschendale, two of arguably the best songs they've ever done. The rest of the album, like it's predecessor, will be hit and miss, but it's worth a listen for that reason (I'm stupidly fond of Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier, for example). And yes, everyone knows the album cover is stupid.

2006's A Matter of Life and Death is a bit of a darker album, although not nearly as much as X Factor, and it's kind of like they're mixing a bit of the formula that worked for the previous two albums. Different World is another of their classic, up-tempo album openers. The Legacy and For the Greater Good of God are both excellent, and The Longest Day is an attempt at Paschendale 2.0 (Good, but not quite as good). 2010's The Final Frontier continues this, with El Dorado, Coming Home, and Starblind being the ones that stand out to me. 2015's The Book of Souls is a double album, meaning you're getting 90+ minutes worth of music instead of just 70~. It's good, but a bit up and down. If Eternity Should Fail and Speed of Light are good, I liked Tears of a Clown, but tracks like The Red and the Black and the title track are okay but simply go on too long. If you listen to the whole album in one go, particularly after listening to some of the other albums, some of the tracks will blur together, but it's worth listening to. Also, Empire of the Clouds is an 18-minute song about an airship disaster, which appeals to the prog/history dork in me.

As a fan of live music, I'll take a moment to also mention their lengthy live discography. The previously mentioned Live After Death from 1985 is an absolute must listen. After that, everything else really depends on how much you like live music and the various set lists. Maiden England '88, from the Seventh Son tour, is a favorite of mine for it's mix, with the version of Killers from this being a personal favorite. Live at Donnington, from the Fear of the Dark tour, is decent but uneven. A Real Live Dead One has a meh mix and the performances aren't the best, and was basically the last release with Dickinson before he left the band. One that is very much worth checking out is Beast over Hammersmith, which was recorded two days before The Number of the Beast came out. It's got a great sound, the band is great, and Bruce is in fine form. The various live albums they've done with the current line up since 1999 all generally have a similar sound mix, so again, they're worth checking out if you like live stuff and/or the specific songs included. 2002's Rock in Rio and 2005's Death on the Road are overall good, with some songs being better than others. Flight 666 is a bit better, IMO, and both the concert video and documentary are good. En Vivo! from 2012 is also okay, and while The Book of Souls: Live Chapter is generally similar in quality, I honestly don't think they used the best performances available for it. The thing about these later live albums (And their related concert videos, since most of them were filmed as well) is you'll get to the point where various versions of The Trooper and Hallowed Be Thy Name blur together, as there is a lot of overlap in them when it comes to their live staples.

I will add that Maiden does have a few decent compilations as well, if you don't want to go through everything and just want the generally accepted high lights. Somewhere Back in Time covers 1980 to 1989, while From Fear to Eternity has 1990 to 2010. Keep in mind that both albums only feature Dickinson's versions of songs, so for tracks from the two Di'Anno or two Bayley albums, they use live versions instead.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Oct 18, 2019

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thanks for the answers everybody! The only problem is my record shop was quite picked over and didn't have much of 80s Iron Maiden but at least I know what to keep an eye out for/youtube later. On the upside there was a copy of Riot's Thundersteel, which was perfectly fine, though it's hard to top the excellent song that is Swords and Tequila. So unless any secret goon Riot fans come out of the woodwork I guess I'll try going back earlier to their first two albums?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Duran Duran?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Junpei posted:

Duran Duran?

I liked their debut eponymous album, but that's not for everyone. For the mainstream D2 stuff that you're familiar with, you don't need to go a lot farther than Rio and Seven and the Ragged Tiger. I seriously lost interest in them after those two. Duran Duran gets very "samey" very quickly.

I'm an album guy that's why I recommended those two, but in all honestly, you can listen to a greatest hits album, and be assured that the other tracks sound very similar.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, listen to Japan's Quiet Life LP and you can hear where Duran Duran got their sound.

Rio is essentially a musical rewrite of Quiet Life, the song.

Until the chorus comes.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Siivola posted:

I've been listening to a bunch of old rock lately. Where do I start Rory Gallagher and Bruce Springsteen?

I'm a but late for the Springsteen answer, but there's my take.

Start with Born to Run and the go back to his first two albums, Greetings from Asbury Park and The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. There's some real gems on those two albums. After that revisit Born To Run and then go from there.

I would suggest stopping after Magic, because everything after that is kind of terrible.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Junpei posted:

Duran Duran?

My opinion of Duran Duran is that — just like the old Your Band Sucks joke (I think?) — only their first two albums are good. Rio is a masterpiece, from beginning to end, and Duran Duran has some electric, youthful glimmers of brilliance and playful experimentation, but I think the band got lost chasing fame following the success of the abysmal David Kershenbaum remixes.

Edit: they do have some really good subsequent singles, though

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, listen to Japan's Quiet Life LP and you can hear where Duran Duran got their sound.

Rio is essentially a musical rewrite of Quiet Life, the song.

Until the chorus comes.

This is a brilliant observation.

So, listen to Duran Duran and Rio, and then visit Japan's 1979–1981 output — a more sophisticated, urbane, and musically talented (with the exception of John Taylor (Mick Karn tho :stwoon:)) precursor. Although, even David Sylvian is doing a Bryan Ferry impression, right?

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Nov 4, 2019

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Bossa Nova?

The guy at the coffeeshop lent me an Antonio Carlos Jobim compilation and I'm a big fan of it, but prior to now my only real exposure to Bossa Nova has been Thievery Corporation's interpretations of it in their early stuff.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

The guy at the coffeeshop lent me an Antonio Carlos Jobim compilation and I'm a big fan of it, but prior to now my only real exposure to Bossa Nova has been Thievery Corporation's interpretations of it in their early stuff.

Can't help you but that won't stop me from posting a comedy answer anyways.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckmcdcQ2mEg

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

Skip bossa and go straight to latin jazz and jazz fusion imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspvnz2SjCw

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

I know literally nothing about the genre but I really love this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JjCQhXWLes

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Skip bossa and go straight to latin jazz and jazz fusion imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hspvnz2SjCw

Correct. In fact, Chick’s latest album is just that.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Check out Nara Leão too

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Keret posted:

Bossa Nova?

I by and large dislike Jobim's lounge piano style so ymmv, but Soul Jazz Records' bossa nova and Elenco compilations are fairly representative of the scene. The absolute no question 100% essential albums are João Gilberto's first two LPs and Elis Regina & Jobim's LP. The s/t with the white cover by Gilberto is pretty classic too. Vinicius de Moraes' records are personal favs of mine but he's not exactly a great singer. Beyond that you've got Edu Lobo, Nara Leão, Zimbo Trio, the aforementioned Elis Regina, Carlos Lyra, Elizeth Cardoso and many others I'm forgetting now. Bossa nova didn't last for many years, because by ~'65 the popular sound in Brazil was already way more baroque, but there's a fair few records

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
If I listened to Miles Davis - In A Silent Way and thought it was a masterpiece, where do I go from there? I’ve recently started poking through jazz albums, and this one just clicked with me in a way that nothing else (from the couple of big-name Miles albums or the handful of other people I’ve listened to) has.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

If I listened to Miles Davis - In A Silent Way and thought it was a masterpiece, where do I go from there? I’ve recently started poking through jazz albums, and this one just clicked with me in a way that nothing else (from the couple of big-name Miles albums or the handful of other people I’ve listened to) has.

The other Miles fusion records from that period would probably be a good place to start. Bitches Brew and Tribute to Jack Johnson. The sidemen on Silent Way (Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, John McLaughlin, Tony Williams) all were making jazz fusion records in the late 60s/early 70s as well, so you could branch out to their solo and group efforts. Some are funky (Herbie), some are spacey (McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra), some are kinda butt (Tony’s stuff).

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Also be sure to check out Pangaea and Dark Magus if you're into heavier stuff.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Fusion essentials: Those already mentioned plus

Weather Report
Return to Forever
Billy Cobham
Jean-Luc Ponty
Stanley Clarke and Chick Corea’s solo efforts
Brand X
Tribal Tech
Yellowjackets
Dave Weckl Band
The Aristocrats
Snarky Puppy

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
milt Jackson has a fusion album called Sunflower that I like a lot also. Freddie Hubbard plays on it and Herbie too i think.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I enjoyed The Score by the Fugees and am now researching their individual solo works. I've got Lauryn Hill's part done easy-it's just The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill, skip the MTV Unplugged album, but any tips for what Wyclef Jean and Pras did post-breakup?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Junpei posted:

I enjoyed The Score by the Fugees and am now researching their individual solo works. I've got Lauryn Hill's part done easy-it's just The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill, skip the MTV Unplugged album, but any tips for what Wyclef Jean and Pras did post-breakup?
I always liked Wyclef cover and heavily sampling songs. Wish you were here and the gambler are my sort of thing. I guess you could try those out and see if you enjoy Wyclef sans Fugees?

Serious question, are there any ska-heads who might help.

Where do I start with Smash Mouth?
I know Walking on the Sun and All Star but there are like seven albums.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

I always liked Wyclef cover and heavily sampling songs. Wish you were here and the gambler are my sort of thing. I guess you could try those out and see if you enjoy Wyclef sans Fugees?

Serious question, are there any ska-heads who might help.

Where do I start with Smash Mouth?
I know Walking on the Sun and All Star but there are like seven albums.

I've never really heard Smash Mouth described as ska, but

Just the first two albums or their greatest hits "All Star Smash Hits" and that's it.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
21st Century Digital Boy seems like a pretty good track.

Bad Religion?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

Bad Religion?

It’s all pretty much the same, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on whether you like it or not. But why not listen to the album that song is on and see if you like it. It’s called stranger than fiction.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

BigFactory posted:

It’s all pretty much the same
Well, expect for Into The Unknown

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

algebra testes posted:

Bad Religion?

No Control for early era, Stranger Than Fiction for 90s era, The Empire Strikes First for 2000s, imo.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BigFactory posted:

It’s all pretty much the same

Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

algebra testes posted:

Bad Religion?

No Control through Stranger Than Fiction is a really good run. They don't really ever stretch, but that is them at their most consistent.

The New America is also half a really good album, half just okay, and then there's "I Love My Computer" which may be one of the worst songs ever.

After that, it's pretty much worth it, especially Process of Belief.