Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I realized in bed last night that this might sound weird to anyone who doesn't know the trick. If you want to know if wool (or fur, or hair) is real you burn a tiny amount, crumble the ash between your fingers and sniff it. If it smells like burnt hair it's the real thing, if it smells like burnt plastic it's synthetic.

Fire. Is there anything it can't do?

Good trick for leather, too.

If it's leather, then a cigarette lighter will just warm it up.
If it's plastic, it will melt and you've just ruined a perfectly good belt that looked just like leather, you moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shut up Meg posted:

If it's plastic, it will melt and you've just ruined a perfectly good belt that looked just like leather, you moron.

:hmmyes:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

I'll admit it does have its flaws, but it is a tried and tested method.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Shut up Meg posted:

I was in Florence a few years ago, which is the leather capital of Italy. The lighter to the leather product was used by every street vendor you passed. I later watched a video on identifying real leather and I still remember what the guy said regarding the lighter trick: "I'm not sure what the lighter is supposed to prove. That it doesn't catch on fire? Have any of you ever seen an inflammable cow? Then why would the leather belt be inflammable?"

I'm not what to think of all this now. The warm vs melt sounds more reasonable than "cows don't burn," but at the same time, there's no way all those street vendors were selling legit leather merchandise.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I’ve seen an inflammable cow and I wish I hadn’t.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My drone was allegedly delivered to someone named Katy in texas :negative:

Hopefully they just gave me the wrong tracking number...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

charity rereg posted:

My drone is still on its way to Belgium apparently, where GLS is supposed to take it over. Quite annoyingly, banggood gives you a tracking number but stopped specifying which company it is so I have to open a ticket for each package to find out how to track it. C'mon.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 27, 2019

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
Anyone ever got a knife from AliExpress? I'm tempted for £9 to try it, if it gets through customs that is.

£5.00 73%OFF | Sowoll Brand 9 Pcs Kitchen Knives Set Stainless Steel Knife Set Chef Bread Slicing Chopping Boning Santoku Utility Fruit knife
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/f6sdUV111

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Mods, please change my name to Inflammable Cow.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

My drone is still on its way to Belgium apparently, where GLS is supposed to take it over. Quite annoyingly, banggood gives you a tracking number but stopped specifying which company it is so I have to open a ticket for each package to find out how to track it. C'mon.
Would 17track help with that? I use it for all my Ali stuff and even some domestic packages: https://t.17track.net/en

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

charity rereg posted:

It might be on a stopover in the town of Katy, TX?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hirayuki posted:

Would 17track help with that? I use it for all my Ali stuff and even some domestic packages: https://t.17track.net/en

Yeah 17track somehow does a better job than other trackers. Useful to remember.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

this helped for quite a few tracking numbers, thank u

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

by.a.teammate posted:

Anyone ever got a knife from AliExpress? I'm tempted for £9 to try it, if it gets through customs that is.

£5.00 73%OFF | Sowoll Brand 9 Pcs Kitchen Knives Set Stainless Steel Knife Set Chef Bread Slicing Chopping Boning Santoku Utility Fruit knife
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/f6sdUV111

I've bought a bunch of dumb tacticool knifes and they've all been fine, sharp enough and haven't fallen apart or given me cancer.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hirayuki posted:

It's usually pretty great but I actually tried it and it didn't recognize the carrier and gave me like 12 options. The correct one was among them so I suppose I could e juste brute -forced it
E: it just landed in Belgium apparently, should have it by monday

cyberia posted:

I've bought a bunch of dumb tacticool knifes and they've all been fine, sharp enough and haven't fallen apart or given me cancer.

Eh, just give it some time

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 28, 2019

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Trabant posted:

It might be on a stopover in the town of Katy, TX?

That's what I thought at first but DHL issued a proof of final delivery PDF. Also it's DHL so the tracking is legit, but it won't let me see the shipping label or full intended address. Still hoping I just got the wrong tracking # but assuming they shipped at the same time I would have received mine by now, this passed through the east coast on its way to TX.

There's a tiny part of me that's secretly hoping for the magic "refund and then the item shows up," but nah DHL is on the ball, this is fully tracked and delivered w/in 5 days of shipping. I'm sure they'll make it right, EACHINE is a real store, and I 100% use my Amex on Ali so whatever, it's never a big risk.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 28, 2019

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Fauxtool posted:

my 16 in 1 multitool arrived a few days ago.
I received mine today from the same seller, got it mainly as a backup to my Leatherman Wave. Some notes:
* Quality seems great, as mentioned. Everything is tight but not too tight.
* The knife blade doesn't lock, which I didn't realize when ordering. It does snap into place and doesn't seem risky to use though. Also it being non-locking might be a bonus in some situations (back in the 90s I was allowed to take a Leatherman PST II tool in the cabin on a flight because it didn't have locking blades)
* Pliers are nice and the spring action is great compared to Wave
* No serrated blade but the next two points cover the use cases pretty well:
* Scissors are much more heavy duty than Wave's tiny little ones
* Line cutter is great and I think I'm going to be using that one a lot. It cuts zip ties, splits garden hoses, etc.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

SUNNECKO knives are extremely high quality on Ali, however I find they can be purchased on Amazon for about the same price or even cheaper.

They also fall into that "pretty much a real brand in other countries" zone. I have the 6.5" elite chef's knife at the top of my christmas list :allears:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Anyone got any recommendations for aliexpress geiger counters? They seem to scale from like 20 bucks to a billion trillion zenny and a lot of the descriptions make it sound like they're mislabeled

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyberbug posted:

I received mine today from the same seller, got it mainly as a backup to my Leatherman Wave. Some notes:
* Quality seems great, as mentioned. Everything is tight but not too tight.
* The knife blade doesn't lock, which I didn't realize when ordering. It does snap into place and doesn't seem risky to use though. Also it being non-locking might be a bonus in some situations (back in the 90s I was allowed to take a Leatherman PST II tool in the cabin on a flight because it didn't have locking blades)
* Pliers are nice and the spring action is great compared to Wave
* No serrated blade but the next two points cover the use cases pretty well:
* Scissors are much more heavy duty than Wave's tiny little ones
* Line cutter is great and I think I'm going to be using that one a lot. It cuts zip ties, splits garden hoses, etc.

i also ordered from the same seller and brand the bike multitool and the black 10 in 1 version. The bike multitool is great. Very compact with the exact tools I need. Its going to be replacing my saddlebag tool minus tire levers.

The black 10 in 1 isnt as good. The paint application is uneven in some visible areas and they must have gotten paint into some of the joints because the action on the pliers is gritty. Im going to work it a bunch and then try to see if i can displace some of that grit with wd-40 or something. The scissors are fine but the same amount of care was obviously not put into assembly and QC as the 16 in 1.

What do you use a serrated blade generally that the saw doesnt cover? Genuine question

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 28, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

blatman posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for aliexpress geiger counters? They seem to scale from like 20 bucks to a billion trillion zenny and a lot of the descriptions make it sound like they're mislabeled

I feel this falls in the category of 'things you should buy from a reputable source'.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

charity rereg posted:

SUNNECKO knives are extremely high quality on Ali, however I find they can be purchased on Amazon for about the same price or even cheaper.

They also fall into that "pretty much a real brand in other countries" zone. I have the 6.5" elite chef's knife at the top of my christmas list :allears:

Are they syeramic?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shut up Meg posted:

I feel this falls in the category of 'things you should buy from a reputable source'.

It's fine, only 3.6 roentgen pe hour.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

charity rereg posted:

I've used japanesechefknife.com for buying my good kitchen knives since the mid-2000s. Until a few years ago, their website still looked like it was made in the 90s. They're basically a factory-direct connection to Seki, the traditional centre of Japanese knife production.

There are a lot of overpriced flashy knives on there, but I've had good success with Fujiwara Kanefusa for being well-made but still reasonably priced (for a good quality chef knife).

https://japanesechefsknife.com/collections/fujiwara-kanefusa

I mean, this seems like a weird thing to have in the AliExpress thread, but hey.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Build your own rad counter like a real internet nerd. I think a decent tube would still be pretty expensive, but you can probably pick up a soviet beta/gamma tube for cheap if you just want to piss about.

Don't touch any task professional without paying for professional. Radon ratings from a cheap no-brand are basically worthless unless you've also got the materials to verify the output.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just need it to win a bet with an idiot, one of my coworkers insists that gay men give off significant radiation and that's how gaydar works and also why he refuses to be in the same room as the one brazenly-gay dude for longer than 30 or 40 seconds

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well that's a new one.
:stonkhat:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

blatman posted:

How would you know how to account for the baseline lethal radiation in the factory?

E: hahaha the next level of gaydar

Hogo Fogo
May 10, 2010

disproving gays are radioactive is the best reason to buy a geiger counter

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I would not have guessed that.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Hogo Fogo posted:

disproving gays are radioactive is the best reason to buy a geiger counter

It's called 'gaydiation'. FYI

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I was in Florence a few years ago, which is the leather capital of Italy. The lighter to the leather product was used by every street vendor you passed. I later watched a video on identifying real leather and I still remember what the guy said regarding the lighter trick: "I'm not sure what the lighter is supposed to prove. That it doesn't catch on fire? Have any of you ever seen an inflammable cow? Then why would the leather belt be inflammable?"

I'm not what to think of all this now. The warm vs melt sounds more reasonable than "cows don't burn," but at the same time, there's no way all those street vendors were selling legit leather merchandise.

It's not like poo poo-grade leather is a precious material, they're probably taking the scraps the luxury leather belt manufacturers rejected as too thin or improperly tanned or whatever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have so many questions. Is it normal radiation? Is he afraid of the gaydiation because it will turn him gay? Is increased bodily radioactivity just an incidental outcome of being gay or a causative thing? Do bisexuals radiate at half the level?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
So if 2 gay guys gently caress they can start a chain reaction? Nice

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

Colonel Cancer posted:

So if 2 gay guys gently caress they can start a chain reaction? Nice

That's why it's called "banging"

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
The atomic pile

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I'm now imagining the Dyatlov Chernobyl scene but with gaydiation.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

ante posted:

The atomic pile

No, if they have atomic piles they just do oral or handies til the Prep H kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I don't have a lot of evidence for this yet but my current hypothesis is that this guy is closeted bisexual but he doesn't realise that bisexuals exist and a lifetime of mainlining homophobia has led him to believe that he could be tempted into homosexuality, because in his case he literally can be, but he's also one of those super conspiracy-theory guys who makes overly-elaborate connections between unrelated things so this has led to him thinking that he's going to catch the gay from all the gaydiation

So you can probably see why I don't want to spend a lot of money on this project