Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Courtney is awful in T:G but I found him to be delightful in Suicide Squad. Possibly the only good part of that film.

He's capable of creating some good moments when you give him like 10 minutes or less of screentime. He did the same thing in Jack Reacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Groovelord Neato posted:

And on top of all that the CGI Arnold does not hang dong!

He's no Thundergun :(

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Halloween Jack posted:

The gun is an anti materiel rifle. That part isn't complicated or gimmicky.

Certainly not, but if the KILLER ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE is easily dispatched with a single ~.50 cal round, it's nowhere near as threatening to an organized resistance army in that future. We've had guns that can dispense similar rounds by the hundreds per minute for quite a while.

Also we assume tiny Emilia Clarke's hands are big enough to hold that rifle and actually reach the trigger.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

Certainly not, but if the KILLER ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE is easily dispatched with a single ~.50 cal round, it's nowhere near as threatening to an organized resistance army in that future. We've had guns that can dispense similar rounds by the hundreds per minute for quite a while.

Also we assume tiny Emilia Clarke's hands are big enough to hold that rifle and actually reach the trigger.

The Terminators shown in the movies are just infiltration units, the machines have huge ships and tanks to deal with actual head to head battles.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

He's capable of creating some good moments when you give him like 10 minutes or less of screentime. He did the same thing in Jack Reacher.

Maybe this will change as he ages, but he has a super punchable face, which makes his heroic roles awful, but his villainous roles O-K. He just has this... smarminess to him that I believe rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The worst role for Jai Courtney was when he was cast as Bruce Willis's son in that lovely Die Hard movie. I want the movie from the alt-universe in which they just get Mary Elizabeth Winstead to reprise her role as his daughter and tag along kicking rear end, it might not have been great but drat if it doesn't sound a hell of a lot more entertaining.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched Genesys.

Jai Courtney gets a whole lot of poo poo for his Kyle Reese role and it is well deserved but I really don't think Amelia Clarke gets nearly enough flak for her terrible Sarah Conner.

genisys was worth it just for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2Agl3bJAc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're both terrible actors but that's partially the fault of casting since who's gonna buy her as a tough badass. It was already pretty comical on Game of Thrones.

They should’ve had her live with James Cameron and have him emotionally abuse her for a year to get her into shape.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AlternateAccount posted:

Are you feeling okay?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

quote:

John keeps sending Terminators. He's lost his mind
Amazing, it even manages to cover Dark Fate 5 years ahead of time!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Emilia Clarke's Sarah Conner cosplay was adorable but there is no universe where she was going to be in any way believable as an action hero.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

8one6 posted:

Emilia Clarke's Sarah Conner cosplay was adorable but there is no universe where she was going to be in any way believable as an action hero.

Her "NOW SOLDIER" scene is just so drat goofy.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Rhyno posted:

Her "NOW SOLDIER" scene is just so drat goofy.

I love they gave her a Desert Eagle, a gun that would look a bit awkward in the hands of 6'2'' Arnold.

(That may be the slightly smaller .45 version of the gun, making it slightly less comical.)

I've made fun of this in the past, but they did nothing with the cinematography to hide the fact that she's (not exaggerating) a foot shorter than the other two main characters so it looks like Arnold and his daughter doing cosplay at comicon.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The thing that leaped out to me about Clarke as Sarah versus Hamilton as Sarah is how little physical presence Clarke has. Part of that is because she's about ten centimeters shorter than Hamilton, but it's one of the things that really stuck out to me in Genisys. Now it's just funny - Courtney's too big to be Reese and Clarke's too small to be Sarah.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wait, so genisys has kyle just be sort of a normal guy instead of a super commando guerilla with lifelong ptsd?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Farm Frenzy posted:

wait, so genisys has kyle just be sort of a normal guy instead of a super commando guerilla with lifelong ptsd?

Yep. He has nothing of the manic energy that Biehn brought to the role. He's practically the everyman fish out of water character.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Farm Frenzy posted:

Terminator G is an alternate-universe story.

Kyle is from a universe where he never got PTSD because John Connor protected him.

Sarah’s from a universe where she (both literally and figuratively) wasn’t allowed to grow up because Arnold was protecting her.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Terminators aren't anywhere near as threatening to the future army. They have plasma rifles in the 2020s, Reese made it explicit that he doesn't know if he can defeat one with the weapons he has access to as a crazy homeless man in the 80s.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I just can't believe a short lady fires a big gun in this time traveling killer robot movie, really breaks my immersion

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I still feel bad for Emilia Clarke trying to do anything with that role, given how the wardrobe and makeup department went and made her look like a high school student the whole time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Clarke and Kit Harrington are terrible but are blessed with great right time and place fortune.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of all the actual talent in GOT I will never understand why so many people love those two.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're both really hot and they've been with the viewer for like eight years

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HorseLord posted:

Terminators aren't anywhere near as threatening to the future army. They have plasma rifles in the 2020s, Reese made it explicit that he doesn't know if he can defeat one with the weapons he has access to as a crazy homeless man in the 80s.

Hmm maybe so. But that one infiltrator was wicking that base singlehanded.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Yeah because it has superhuman reflexes and superior combat heuristics

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Stairmaster posted:

Yeah because it has superhuman reflexes and superior combat heuristics

Such as taking 7 seconds to formulate a response to a question and needing a laser sight and 5 seconds to shoot a lady 10 feet away.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I mean it's part of the mythos that the humans win the war. I think Genisys's first 10 minutes hint at the story to be told there - the humans win because they have the numbers and are willing to accept horrific losses to defeat Skynet's mechanical superiority. If you want an allegory for the Eastern Front in WW2 that's it right there.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

AlternateAccount posted:

Hmm maybe so. But that one infiltrator was wicking that base singlehanded.

the ultimate proof of your unstoppable nature: firing a giant machinegun into an enclosed space full of resting unarmed people.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

my new Terminator concept: using voice mimicry, the villain Terminator is homing in on his quarry, only to discover: a Predator?! Realizing their objectives align, the groundwork for future Skynet-Predator relations is established, casting new light on the reasons for Judgement Day and the events of the Future War.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fish Noise posted:

my new Terminator concept: using voice mimicry, the villain Terminator is homing in on his quarry, only to discover: a Predator?! Realizing their objectives align, the groundwork for future Skynet-Predator relations is established, casting new light on the reasons for Judgement Day and the events of the Future War.

Speaking of this, I got a chuckle playing Red Dead Redemption 2 last night. Was replaying one of the first story missions and got a contextual prompt to "Call to John". All I could think of was Robert Patrick and Linda Hamilton, obviously.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Fish Noise posted:

If anything encountering Predators might cause Skynet to try to sue for peace/alliance with the humans because "Ahhggghhh! Space aliens with higher tech than mine!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Fish Noise posted:

A movie where Terminator and Predator are after the same target without ever realizing it because the Pred's cloaking works even better against Terms and Terms don't give off heat signatures. They inadvertedly foil each others assassination attemps like the Three Stooges trying to leave through the same door all at once.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I thought Predators are big game hunters? Why on earth would they want mankind wiped out in favour of a planet of machines?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

jojoinnit posted:

I thought Predators are big game hunters? Why on earth would they want mankind wiped out in favour of a planet of machines?

They wouldn't (although the most recent movie suggests that they tend to eventually wipe out various planets/species after incorporate those species most desireable traits into themselves like biological Borg). But the suggestion is that it's a screwball comedy with Terminators and Predators. Also, the classic Predator hunts for trophies, so one of them might see John Conner (or whoever) as an excellent throw rug without caring about his importance to Skynet/The Resistance.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
See, I would think something where the Predator is hunting the most dangerous prey of all: Skynet itself.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

jojoinnit posted:

They wouldn't! And mankind doesn't get wiped out - the Resistance wins, after all. The population is severely reduced but is in a state much less likely to wipe itself out in short order, and has a higher heavily armed combat experienced proportion than before.

My angle is that Skynet fucks off to have space adventures and and Earth becomes a purple-plasma-MG-filled hellhole that Predators only go to when they want to have a very good time.

but I'm totally down with the immediate slapstick interpretations too:

Grendels Dad posted:

A movie where Terminator and Predator are after the same target without ever realizing it because the Pred's cloaking works even better against Terms and Terms don't give off heat signatures. They inadvertedly foil each others assassination attemps like the Three Stooges trying to leave through the same door all at once.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Such as taking 7 seconds to formulate a response to a question and needing a laser sight and 5 seconds to shoot a lady 10 feet away.

Well, you kinda need to do that, "real" future AI with guns would just 360 noscope every human in it's range in a fraction of a second. Wouldn't be much of a fight.

Upgrade combat scenes comes to mind :black101:

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 9, 2019

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ZZZorcerer posted:

Well, you kinda need to do that, "real" future AI with guns would just 360 noscope every human in it's range in a fraction of a second. Wouldn't be much of a fight.

That's "Metalhead" as well. It's what makes the Dog so freakishly terrifying despite not coming up to your knee, it just takes people's heads off when it gets a proper sighting solution.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ZZZorcerer posted:

I'm thinking IG-11 from the mandalorian. Just whirling around and going robot gun kata on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

There's something to be said for the Terminator franchise leaning into things that robots actually excel at, like strength, durability, and persistence, and not things robots are notoriously bad at, like tracking objects in a complex environment.