Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
THAT BRAIN WAS SMOOTH AS HELL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I basically don’t believe anyone who says the experience is perfect. Either they’re lying or they just have a weird tolerance for games playing like poo poo

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

leftist heap posted:

I basically don’t believe anyone who says the experience is perfect. Either they’re lying or they just have a weird tolerance for games playing like poo poo

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

leftist heap posted:

The technology works. Dont work tor everyone, all it takes a problem in the chain to make the whole thing bad, but if you have luck its playable and you forget that you are streaming. For casual gameplay is completelly ok.

Is the business model that is a problem. You pay once, but use their servers forever. It dont seems a good business model.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
1/3 of /r/stadia moderators are openly Google employees

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You didn't include that they ended the post with "those Stadia people are Wizards!"

No real poster would capitalize the word wizard like that. It's like a corporate mandated keyword.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
The stadia twist for me was that the latency was actually fine, it just looked like poo poo.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

fuf posted:

The stadia twist for me was that the latency was actually fine, it just looked like poo poo.

Wonder if they will fix this before 1449 days.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ineffiable posted:

No real poster would capitalize the word wizard like that. It's like a corporate mandated keyword.

It's also one of the reasons Apostle is (very clearly) not being paid for his fanboysm. Paid "influencers" for this kind of things tend to spew positive bullshit (like some of the posts on Reddit) and roll with the punches if attacked / try to defuse the situation. No decent shill would engage/keep up the level of hostility Apostle has, and if Google is good at something, it's advertisement.

That said, I wanted Stadia to be some kind of "Netflix, but for games", so thanks to this thread I've discovered the Xbox pass for pc and I'm currently downloading The Outer Worlds (that I almost dropped full retail price for 2days ago, and only stopped cause I don't want to encourage exclusives on PC)...and at 4 quids a month it'll take me a full year to match the 25% off sales price that alone would have been on the Epic Store, so thanks goons!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

leftist heap posted:

My favorite example of this is people saying they have a flawless experience playing games from hotel WIFI connections. Either they just let it load to the main menu and called it good or they played through an insane amount of freezes, jitter, and compression blocking and called it a solid experience.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This discussion ended pages ago but the Xbox Elite controller is not for everyone, but it is really cool, especially the new revision. Instantly improved my Devil May Cry play because I can map all the buttons it’s beneficial to keep charging all the time to the paddles. I have no build quality issues and I can’t even imagine how weak your baby arms must be if you think it’s too heavy, I don’t even work out.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Xbox: Do you even lift?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

That Italian Guy posted:

It's also one of the reasons Apostle is (very clearly) not being paid for his fanboysm. Paid "influencers" for this kind of things tend to spew positive bullshit (like some of the posts on Reddit) and roll with the punches if attacked / try to defuse the situation. No decent shill would engage/keep up the level of hostility Apostle has, and if Google is good at something, it's advertisement.

a: how exactly do you know so much about secret paid influencer posting styles
b: you don't, do you? this is just some weird flex?
c: sigh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

a: how exactly do you know so much about secret paid influencer posting styles
I'm under the impression that this is fairly well-known. There have been a number of exposés about this kind of thing over the years because it's becoming more and more commonplace - Chinese companies in particular apparently really love doing the fake positive review thing. I don't really have any links at hand, so I guess I can't prove it either.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sarcasm aside, if that's the case I'm genuinely curious and would like to read said links

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah the answer to the mistery is "be part of online media/social media in TYOOL 2019".

(unless ofc it was :thejoke:)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sarcasm aside, if that's the case I'm genuinely curious and would like to read said links
If I can manage to find them again, you'll be first to know.

e: here's something to start with: https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/can-you-trust-online-reviews-here-s-how-find-fakes-n976756

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 29, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ok it was not a joke, so as a very quick response to that you can read the criteria used by an extension I use called ReviewMeta https://reviewmeta.com/ (parses Amazon reviews and tries to give a more accurate "review score" by filtering out unnatural reviews). Using certain keywords/phrases, not engaging with negative pushback, act in numbers (so phrase repetition between different sources), etc are all good indicators.

Edit: all good reasons for being sure no one in their right mind would pay someone to try and influence someone on a Forum in 2019 - since they are bad platforms for this kind of things - especially one as insular as SA. Their money could be better spent on Twitter or Reddit.

Also, most "shills" are bots, or "bot-like" astroturfers, whose language knowledge is somewhat limited - that's one of the reasons their post sound so unnatural, and why they mostly stick to canned dialog interactions. But they are getting better (especially the bots). Unpacking the Social Media Bot is a good read on that, but there are tons of online media articles about this.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 29, 2019

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

That Italian Guy posted:

Ok it was not a joke, so as a very quick response to that you can read the criteria used by an extension I use called ReviewMeta https://reviewmeta.com/ (parses Amazon reviews and tries to give a more accurate "review score" by filtering out unnatural reviews).

quote:

Playmobil Security Check Point
We haven't analyzed reviews for this product yet.
We're building our Preliminary Report. Sit tight; this should take less than 1-2 minutes.

That's surprising.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

univbee posted:

Xbox: Do you even lift?

My upper/lower body balance is all weird, I can barely lift the elite controller but I can easily squat the xbox

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

limaCAT posted:

That's surprising.

Consider that this is only for that specific listing. Different listings for the same item from other retailers or another Amazon store would be considered an individual listing, since they would have a different review score / reviews.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's no set way social media advertising is done. Just because one extension that claims to be able to filter out fake reviews uses some criteria doesn't mean they all do it the same way. Who knows if their filtering is even close to being accurate.

Forums shills have been used forever, it's nothing new. But I agree, no one is doing paid shilling on a platform like SA, forums are no longer relevant.

That Italian Guy posted:

Also, most "shills" are bots, or "bot-like" astroturfers, whose language knowledge is somewhat limited - that's one of the reasons their post sound so unnatural, and why they mostly stick to canned dialog interactions. But they are getting better (especially the bots). Unpacking the Social Media Bot is a good read on that, but there are tons of online media articles about this.

Tons of companies send out free products for reviews (everybody knows they have to write something positive if they want to get additional free products in the future)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The Atlantic has been publishing articles about how lovely Amazon is at a rate of about 1 a month for the past two years, and many of them have detailed that an enormous amount of amazon reviews are fake.

quote:

Several users of the site Fiverr, an online marketplace where people can pick up odd jobs, promised to use more than 80 different Amazon accounts apiece to post glowing reviews. In at least one case, a reviewer agreed to arrange shipment that involved receiving an empty envelope—not actually containing the product to be reviewed—in an attempt to trick Amazon into marking the review as verified, court documents say.

(A different one that I couldn't find immediately talked about how a lot of vendors had switched tracks to giving their competitors one star reviews.)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lambert posted:

Forums shills have been used forever, it's nothing new. Going all "Chyna!" about it just because it's the current geopolitical enemy seems weird.
Just to respond to that, in case someone got the wrong impression here: I wasn't. I just heard from Chinese internet users that this is apparently particularly common in (but by means unique to) China and compounded by the government apparently doing the same thing to boot. It's not a politics thing, just something I've been told by people who live there.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

Just to respond to that, in case someone got the wrong impression here: I wasn't. I just heard from Chinese internet users that this is apparently particularly common in (but by means unique to) China and compounded by the government apparently doing the same thing to boot. It's not a politics thing, just something I've been told by people who live there.

Unfortunately, this is something western governments do as well. Just recently, such an operation in the UK became public knowledge. And fake reviews are a dime a dozen everywhere, I know people that got into the "free products for reviews" thing. Typically, they don't even open the expensive PC components they get, just write a positive review and then sell it on Ebay.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Lambert posted:

There's no set way social media advertising is done. Just because one extension that claims to be able to filter out fake reviews uses some criteria doesn't mean they all do it the same way. Who knows if their filtering is even close to being accurate.

Forums shills have been used forever, it's nothing new. But I agree, no one is doing paid shilling on a platform like SA, forums are no longer relevant.
Oh yeah definitely, that was just a quick and dirty "take this as an example". And yeah, forums shills used to exist, but are now not relevant, as you can hit a shitton more "engagement/exposure" to your bs by boosting its signal through methods that are only available on social media or Reddit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lambert posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I appreciate the links, but I already know you can buy Amazon reviews in bulk, that much is obvious. What's weird is when people squint at a post and go "this looks like a shill. i can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shills in my time"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lambert posted:

Unfortunately, this is something western governments do as well. Just recently, such an operation in the UK became public knowledge. And fake reviews are a dime a dozen everywhere, I know people that got into the "free products for reviews" thing. Typically, they don't even open the expensive PC components they get, just write a positive review and then sell it on Ebay.
Not disagreeing, just sharing what I heard. Take it for what that's worth, it's not a personally held opinion.

Also, if I can get free computer stuff for writing boilerplate reviews about them, I think I kinda want to get in on that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
So how's GeForce Now doing?

quote:

The following games have been added to GeForce NOW:

• Black Future '88
• Shenmue III (Epic Games Store)
• Still There
hey cool

quote:

The following games have gone offline until further notice:

• Ace Combat 7
• DARK SOULS II: Scholar of the First Sin
• Dark Souls III
• Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
• Dark Souls: Remastered
• Dragon Ball FighterZ
• DRAGON BALL XENOVERSE 2
• JUMP FORCE
• MY HERO ONE'S JUSTICE
• NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 2
• NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4
• NARUTO TO BORUTO: SHINOBI STRIKER
• Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
• Project CARS 2
• RAD
• Soulcalibur VI
• Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
• Tales Of Berseria
• Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
• TEKKEN 7
GeForce Now just dropped support for almost as many games as Stadia has. This amounts to deleting some people's Dark Souls saves with no warning. :smithicide:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

Not disagreeing, just sharing what I heard. Take it for what that's worth, it's not a personally held opinion.

Also, if I can get free computer stuff for writing boilerplate reviews about them, I think I kinda want to get in on that.

Just have to take a look around. I know a German friend of mine was writing reviews in exchange for free products for Mindfactory (others as well, but this is the one company I remember).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lambert posted:

Just have to take a look around. I know a German friend of mine was writing reviews in exchange for free products for Mindfactory (others as well, but this is the one company I remember).
Thanks, I'll be checking that out, it's in my general area.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
good news for anyone who spend $50 to play Farming Simulator 19 on Stadia:

https://kotaku.com/google-says-itll-give-refunds-to-anyone-who-bought-stad-1840068054

Bad news is that you still spent $50 to play Farming Simulator 19 on Stadia. Even when you get your refund, that will remain a fact about you that is true forever.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gobbeldygook posted:

GeForce Now just dropped support for almost as many games as Stadia has. This amounts to deleting some people's Dark Souls saves with no warning. :smithicide:

I mean, that's horrible but can you play Farming Simulator 19?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I mean, that's horrible but can you play Farming Simulator 19?
GeForce Now supports Farming Simulator 17 & 19.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1200459419038842880

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

I think Steam Cloud is standard on all of those, so if someone were to install Dark Souls on their personal PC via Steam they'd salvage their saves.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
lol

quote:

As for the gameplay resolution, there no 4K, yet. However, the games are undeniably higher resolution than the PS4 and Xbox-one. I've also been so shocked at the complete elimination of screen tear. I'm so used to it from the PS4 that I usually ignore it, but it's so noticeable in its absence when using the Stadia. I also need to point out that the Chromecast Ultra does output 4K at 60FPS and that's what you're getting from it. Stadia also does stream at 4K 60FPS (see Google's explanation here) However, because of the lack of 4K native games available on Stadia at the moment, that's not really the end result. What you do get though, is an image that is better than PS4 and Xbox due to the upscaling applied by Google's servers.

Not only does Stadia look better than PS4 and Xbone, the sub-4k graphics are undeniably higher resolution than the 4k graphics from other systems.

They're not even trying anymore.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e3dgcp/an_earnest_letter_to_the_haters/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

good news for anyone who spend $50 to play Farming Simulator 19 on Stadia:

https://kotaku.com/google-says-itll-give-refunds-to-anyone-who-bought-stad-1840068054

Bad news is that you still spent $50 to play Farming Simulator 19 on Stadia. Even when you get your refund, that will remain a fact about you that is true forever.

Also you have to ask for it, they're not just doing automatic refunds. Meaning you spend however much time it takes to get customer service. And if you don't read game news websites you don't know about it. What absolute tightwads.

Can't wait for January when the free games are Gylt and Trials Rising. (They won't have to offer refunds for those because nobody bought them.)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Astroturfing is a good thing that should be encouraged!

quote:

I'm telling you guys, companies HAVE to combat this stuff. For every negative YouTuber then Google should hire two Youtubers to shoot down myths and false narratives, hence "combat marketing."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/e3i4xz/if_vr_and_stadia_taught_us_anything_its_that/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Stadia's consumer tribalism is pretty hilarious: it's one thing to be a fan and promote a great product, it's something else to fanaticize over a half-baked turd that needs another year in the oven.