Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

AARP LARPer posted:

Hi everyone. A few years ago I asked you kind souls for book recommendations about cryptography and a very wise person suggested The Code Book by Simon Singh which rocked and I'm very grateful. There's something about the way that the book was written that really held my interest in a way that few books have. It's weird.

My question: Is there a book written in a similar style/tone about the history of cyberwarfare, or a sort of overview Nation/State activities in the space? Sorry if I'm dropping this in the wrong place and killing the vibe.

I don't know anything about the book you mentioned, unfortunately. But what you're asking for sounds a little bit like @War by Shane Harris. I read it when it first came out and found it to be a really good overview of where we are in terms of a holistic view of "cyber" through the lens of the Military. It was written a little better than most things in this space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Fortinet took three weeks to respond to a vulnerability report and a year and a half to fix it. Security in infosec must be unprofitable

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

better link: https://sec-consult.com/en/blog/advisories/weak-encryption-cipher-and-hardcoded-cryptographic-keys-in-fortinet-products/

it's worth mentioning that fortiguard comms use HTTPS by default since maybe fortios v4.0 MR2 (~2010, latest fortios is v6.2) so you'd only be vulnerable if you went out of your way to disable TLS (which i'm not even sure you can do). that said fortinet should junk their non-TLS endpoints entirely

edit: ok now that i'm back home i've been able to check on my FGT-60E running fortios v6.2.2 and there are two protocol options available: HTTPS and UDP

pre:
DARKSTAR1-FG60E-POE # config system fortiguard

DARKSTAR1-FG60E-POE (fortiguard) # set protocol ?
udp      UDP for server communication (for use by FortiGuard or FortiManager).
https    HTTPS for server communication (for use by FortiGuard or FortiManager).
HTTPS is the default and obviously there's no TLS with UDP. this means it's less of a HTTPS vs HTTP thing and more a HTTPS vs UDP thing. with this in mind i can see situations where people would configure UDP for fortiguard to maybe get higher throughput?

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 26, 2019

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
1.5 years timeline? what irresponsible disclosure by those researchers.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Pile Of Garbage posted:

better link: https://sec-consult.com/en/blog/advisories/weak-encryption-cipher-and-hardcoded-cryptographic-keys-in-fortinet-products/

it's worth mentioning that fortiguard comms use HTTPS by default since maybe fortios v4.0 MR2 (~2010, latest fortios is v6.2) so you'd only be vulnerable if you went out of your way to disable TLS (which i'm not even sure you can do). that said fortinet should junk their non-TLS endpoints entirely

edit: ok now that i'm back home i've been able to check on my FGT-60E running fortios v6.2.2 and there are two protocol options available: HTTPS and UDP

pre:
DARKSTAR1-FG60E-POE # config system fortiguard

DARKSTAR1-FG60E-POE (fortiguard) # set protocol ?
udp      UDP for server communication (for use by FortiGuard or FortiManager).
https    HTTPS for server communication (for use by FortiGuard or FortiManager).
HTTPS is the default and obviously there's no TLS with UDP. this means it's less of a HTTPS vs HTTP thing and more a HTTPS vs UDP thing. with this in mind i can see situations where people would configure UDP for fortiguard to maybe get higher throughput?

They should have been able to implement UDP over DTLS, that standard is as old as TLS 1.2.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They should have been able to implement UDP over DTLS, that standard is as old as TLS 1.2.

true. they support UDP over DTLS for their SSL VPN implementation but that appears to be it. also i've just realised the vuln is worse for environments with on-prem fortimanager appliances installed and downstream fortigate firewalls connecting via UDP. in that configuration the shittily encrypted traffic is going over LAN :rip:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
does anyone know if there's anywhere I could look up a breakdown of how many people self-host their e-mail servers vs. how many people use third-party providers (e.g.: Google, Microsoft, etc.)?

Doesn't need to be some peer-reviewed study or anything like that, just something I can throw as a reference on a small writeup I'm doing.

I've tried Googling but I keep finding breakdowns on the marketshare of the different providers, but none seem to include how many self-host.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

does anyone know if there's anywhere I could look up a breakdown of how many people self-host their e-mail servers vs. how many people use third-party providers (e.g.: Google, Microsoft, etc.)?

Doesn't need to be some peer-reviewed study or anything like that, just something I can throw as a reference on a small writeup I'm doing.

I've tried Googling but I keep finding breakdowns on the marketshare of the different providers, but none seem to include how many self-host.

Are you asking about businesses running their own exchange servers, or home user turbo nerds?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

You can get information on people using third-party providers using the -fdns_mx.json.gz file here: https://opendata.rapid7.com/sonar.fdns_v2/ but I guess you would also need to know how many other domains have mx records or something like that (I'm not sure how meaningful that would even be).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idk how much fuzz it adds to the data but we have a bunch of clients running through an mx queuing/hosted spam filter that then are split between o365 and self hosted mail systems, so you wouldn't see any difference there just by looking at the mx

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Are you asking about businesses running their own exchange servers, or home user turbo nerds?

Either, really. I'm more interested in essentially how many people have full control over their email implementation vs. people that depend almost entirely on the provider's implementation.

I understand there's a million asterisks to this question but I figured "self-hosted" vs. "uses a third party service" was probably the most basic distinction I could use.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i wonder if the number of home users who run their own mail server and domain would even show up in a poll hahaha. that has to be a tiny fraction of a fraction

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The number is probably lower than in 2000 despite a huge increase in internet users.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i know that until like, 5 years ago, the small office I used to work for was running a Squirrel Mail webmail on a self-hosted IMAP server that someone's nephew had configured who knows when. Eventually they got blocked from most MX lists and switched to G Suite like normal people

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
There is zero reason in the the year 2019 to be hosting your own email.

Email has been a solved problem for over 10 years now.

Solved meaning only use email for your okta ID and things like PR notifications and not actually for communication.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i think the only reason left is avoiding government sunshine laws

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Methanar posted:

There is zero reason in the the year 2019 to be hosting your own email.

Email has been a solved problem for over 10 years now.

Solved meaning only use email for your okta ID and things like PR notifications and not actually for communication.

You are very wrong. Sure, you should probably not host your mail on a Raspberry Pi in a closet or whatever, but there are very good reasons not to go with the classical big cloud email providers.

Especially American companies are very problematic especially for European government or government-like institutions. Using Google, O365, or even running your "own" mail server at Amazon or Microsoft is in some cases not an option due to the CLOUD act.

I've a customer like that with strict EU-only, preferable same country policies for data. They just switched from O365 to a local shop. They have a strong bias against non-open software, especially if it is US or even UK-based. We do not host vital data for them, but they do deal with very sensitive health data, that they host in-house.

The CLOUD act means there's more reason to host your own e-mail than anytime since O365 and Gmail matured.

E: doesn't apply if you're US-based, of course. Then you're pretty much hosed either way and might as well go with O365 like everybody else.

klafbang fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 29, 2019

animist
Aug 28, 2018
"Surveillance Valley: the Secret Military History of the Internet" by Yasha Levine is another very good book, although it's more about the internet itself as a geopolitical tool, rather than cyber warfare specifically

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

klafbang posted:

You are very wrong. Sure, you should probably not host your mail on a Raspberry Pi in a closet or whatever, but there are very good reasons not to go with the classical big cloud email providers.

Especially American companies are very problematic especially for European government or government-like institutions. Using Google, O365, or even running your "own" mail server at Amazon or Microsoft is in some cases not an option due to the CLOUD act.

I've a customer like that with strict EU-only, preferable same country policies for data. They just switched from O365 to a local shop. They have a strong bias against non-open software, especially if it is US or even UK-based. We do not host vital data for them, but they do deal with very sensitive health data, that they host in-house.

The CLOUD act means there's more reason to host your own e-mail than anytime since O365 and Gmail matured.

E: doesn't apply if you're US-based, of course. Then you're pretty much hosed either way and might as well go with O365 like everybody else.

i've only recently been able to use o365 for a couple customers because they cannot use cloud providers that store data outside of canada. it's very much a thing and the home grown canadian solutions have until now been worse than rolling your own exchange solution

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

there’s dozens of email companies whose entire selling point is “in your country and not US based”, so even that’s commoditized at this point

sorta regretting paying for several years of fastmail in advance but I guess I don’t really care if aussies are reading my mail in the meantime

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

infernal machines posted:

idk how much fuzz it adds to the data but we have a bunch of clients running through an mx queuing/hosted spam filter that then are split between o365 and self hosted mail systems, so you wouldn't see any difference there just by looking at the mx

there's also exchange hybrid environments which have centralised transport enabled. in that setup all mail for your domains is routed to your on-premises exchange servers which then deliver to on-prem or o365 mailboxes via the hybrid transport. the last environment i worked on was like that plus what you describe so mail would go to whatever symantec are calling messagelabs -> on-prem exchange -> exchange online lol

edit: not really related but kind of idk. last i checked AWS SES is only able to receive e-mail when deployed in US East which is bizarre. anyone know why?

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 30, 2019

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

klafbang posted:

fuckin lol I can practically picture these people

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
we only use open source here, we don't trust microsoft or amazon with our data. instead, we entrust it to our systems team, composed of Phil, Phils offsider (I forget his name) and Drew from the windows team who helps out with domain stuff.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

abigserve posted:

fuckin lol I can practically picture these people

You’re imagining them wrong. There’s a legitimate concern. US companies are severely tainted by CLOUD. CLOUD means that if your hoster is US owned, US government can get to your data, regardless of where it is hosted. That is a no-go for data concerning national security. Health data is close enough to that (and this data involves PII + diagnoses for a lot of people so it’s super sensitive).

The concern for closed US/UK software has to do with practicality (Trump is very trade war happy and Boris is very stupid, so what if we get locked out of using business critical software), and a bit paranoia (are there backdoors in the applications?).

It’s a balance between self hosting, hosting at more or less professional locals, and hosting at the big but very professional providers. And cost is also a factor. As mentioned by Progressive JPEG, there are local providers but they need to be as good and cheap as the big ones. They are typically small enough I classify them as “hosting yourself,” but that is of course not technically true.

Europe has a problem in that we don’t have good, cheap local cloud providers. A US company would never use Yandex or Alibaba cloud for sensitive data as there are alternatives, but EU companies and even governments have the choice between giving data to US/Russia/China or basically self-hosting. It’s not great.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

EU government should run their own data centers and sell capacity to entities (companies, individuals, local govt, whatever) in member countries

can spin it out into a government owned enterprise or whatever but it’d effectively be public infrastructure

and can have the Romanians build it :coolspot:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Progressive JPEG posted:

EU government should run their own data centers and sell capacity to entities (companies, individuals, local govt, whatever) in member countries

can spin it out into a government owned enterprise or whatever but it’d effectively be public infrastructure

and can have the Romanians build it :coolspot:

maybe not romanians, please? i worked for a really large european company doing online business, and we had more fraud issues in romania than in russia, mexico, or any other country with prominent corruption passes handed down by the government

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

maybe not romanians, please? i worked for a really large european company doing online business, and we had more fraud issues in romania than in russia, mexico, or any other country with prominent corruption passes handed down by the government

:thejoke:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

d’oh :eng99:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

not sure I can adequately imagine how big a clusterfuck an EU gov run hosting service would be, like don't get me wrong, the EU is generally good but imagine combining rabid internal protectionism and grinding bureaucracy together on the cloud

it'd be like "your data is only available in German 30 hours a week and the whole system is offline for all of August"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’d say most European agencies are pretty on the spot. the food agency and space peeps seem to be very competent

the last thing I’d want is a startup cloud provider

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

having had immediate experience with european space agency, i have to say that while the bureaucracy taking place is often gargantuan (primary point of comparison - nasa), everything works in order and as intended, with redundant redundancy mechanisms and audit trails to the level of who microwaved a fish in kitchen 4a in poland on last wednesday at 3:12am

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's always some motherfucker trying to microwave a fish

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

cinci zoo sniper posted:

having had immediate experience with european space agency, i have to say that while the bureaucracy taking place is often gargantuan (primary point of comparison - nasa), everything works in order and as intended, with redundant redundancy mechanisms and audit trails to the level of who microwaved a fish in kitchen 4a in poland on last wednesday at 3:12am

was it you that worked around arecibo for a bit? im getting old and forgetting my yospos story lines

if so that was cool

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

too true

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bulgakov posted:

was it you that worked around arecibo for a bit? im getting old and forgetting my yospos story lines

if so that was cool

yep, that was me. my primary supervisor/advisor for that study project was a senior engineering manager/project lead at esa

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

placing my last week’s fish dish at the focal point of a crater sized antenna dish so that a buncha outer space radio waves might eventually heat it up within the next billion years :pray:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pile Of Garbage posted:

edit: not really related but kind of idk. last i checked AWS SES is only able to receive e-mail when deployed in US East which is bizarre. anyone know why?

email has to go via fort meade

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Fish Microwaver would be a good username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Phish Microwaver would be a good username