Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

This is your brain on late stage capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So my idea for the sale / purchase

Owe turbulent millions on a promise , cant pay

Sell shares in CIG to turbulent at a cut rate , promising a share of the profits

Simultaneously buy shares in turbulent for zero dollars , but again a promise of future profits when everything sky rockets due to sq42 being a smashing success

Or using the company as a massive loan cheque

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

trucutru posted:

It's two seats so I guess it's Ben

Ben is not a two-seater. He targeted for way more a long time ago.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Sabreseven posted:

Other than nuking the November profits, I don't see any strategic gains from CIG having shares or board members in Turbulent or viceversa.

More CIG 'hide the money' shell games?

Strangli - director of Turbulent?

The Turbulent games launcher?

Distraction and obfuscation?

It's all weird. :shrug:

Here is an idea:
You know your cashcow scamfunded project is probably going to an end: whether slowly through the slow decline of interest for your project, or quickly through the possibility of a jury deciding the engine your entire project runs on is infringing on a third party's IP right.

Your project also has business ties with a marketing company that seems to do well, and your own company probably has debt to that same marketing company.

Your main problem is to keep your pretend Hollywood lavish lifestyle when the party ends.

Here is a creative solution through the magic of an UK private limited company:

1. You emit 2'340 new shares at the nominal cost of 0,0001£.
2. You get the marketing company to "pay" what you owe them not in cash, but you compensate them with those shares, but not on the nominal price, but at the price of your own valuation. Let say conservatively you value 1 share at 100£, it means by "paying" 2,340£ for emitting new shares, you can "erase" 234'000£ of debt. Now the real question is, how much can you value a share in the context of the most open game development ever?
3. At the same time, you get the marketing company to agree to sell you 25% of their share capital, that you pay not with your own personal money, but with your own company's cash. Cash that you acquired from gullible manchildren.
4. For reasons unknown, or by sheer idiocy, the guys at the marketing company also give you 2 seats on the board of directors, 2 nice cushion jobs for the foreseeable future.

And voilà, you solved 2 problems at once.

As a side note: Turbulent currently only has 2 directors:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?lang=eng&corpId=4060652

https://www.registreentreprises.gou...eService=S00436

If the press release is true, CIG will get 2 seats on the board, rising up the total number of directors to 4. Getting 50% of the seats on the board with buying 25% of the shares, not bad.

Edit: can't wait to see the names of the new directors that are gonna pop up on the Canadian commerce registries.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 4, 2019

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I think Chris bought Turbulent because he needs the website to work in order to keep funding going and since they weren't paying the bills before they just bought a chunk of them outright so they could get a better deal in the future.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Zzr posted:

Ben is not a two-seater. He targeted for way more a long time ago.

Ben is the original multi-crew ship backer

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

So my idea for the sale / purchase

Owe turbulent millions on a promise , cant pay

Sell shares in CIG to turbulent at a cut rate , promising a share of the profits

Simultaneously buy shares in turbulent for zero dollars , but again a promise of future profits when everything sky rockets due to sq42 being a smashing success

Or using the company as a massive loan cheque
nah. the turbulent owners got cash for their stocks. wouldn't surprise me if the $500k of CIG shares will be bought back by CIG US or another CIG company as an additional payout at a certain point in the very near future.

part of this was most likely a renegotiation on how much turbulent was supposed to be making. since they are one of their oldest partners and in charge of so many goddamn things, their cut was probably really, really, really high and was drowning CIG financially, especially after the calders wanted their slice of the pie too

overall, its hard to say "gently caress you, we're done" when someone shoves a few million dollars in your face and a promise of a half a mil more sometime soon

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

nah. the turbulent owners got cash for their stocks. wouldn't surprise me if the $500k of CIG shares will be bought back by CIG US or another CIG company as an additional payout at a certain point in the very near future.

part of this was most likely a renegotiation on how much turbulent was supposed to be making. since they are one of their oldest partners and in charge of so many goddamn things, their cut was probably really, really, really high and was drowning CIG financially, especially after the calders wanted their slice of the pie too

overall, its hard to say "gently caress you, we're done" when someone shoves a few million dollars in your face and a promise of a half a mil more sometime soon

Sounds very good for Star Citizen

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Turbulent is pretty much CIG's Canadian studio right?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Megalobster posted:

Here is an idea:
You know your cashcow scamfunded project is probably going to an end: whether slowly through the slow decline of the interest to your project, or quickly through the possibility of a jury deciding the engine your entire project is running on is infringing on a third pary.

Your project has business ties with a marketing company that seems to do well, and your own company has probably debt to that same marketing company.

Your main problem is to keep your pretend hollywood lavish lifestyle when the party ends.

Here is a creative solution through the magic of an UK private limited company:

1. You emit 2340 new shares at the nominal cost of 0,0001£.
2. You get the marketing company to "pay" what you owe them not in cash, but with those shares, but not on the nominal price, but at the price of your own valuation.
3. At the same time, you get the marketing company to agree to sell you 25% of their share capital, with not your own personal money, but with your own company's cash that you acquired from gullible manchildren.
4. For reasons unknown, of by sheer idiocy, the guys at the marketing company also give you 2 seats on the board of directors, 2 nice cushion jobs for the foreseeable future.

And voilà, you solved 2 problems at once.

As a side note: Turbulent currently only has 2 directors:
https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/scr/cc/CorporationsCanada/fdrlCrpDtls.html?lang=eng&corpId=4060652

https://www.registreentreprises.gou...eService=S00436

If the press release is true, CIG will get 2 seats on the board, rising up the total number of directors to 4. Getting 50% of the seats on the board with buying 25% of the shares, not bad.

That's likely it :)

Makes sense and gaining 50% control for only 25% of the cost while basically abusing the backers money and essentially just swapping which pocket it's sat in is very "CIG".

Sometimes I forget who CIG's accountant is :D

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Turbulent is the only part of cig that has actually produced anything either as far as I can tell

So they aernt half wrong to invest money. They should just swap it all to turbulent and shitter cig at this point

Supposed to say shutter but I'm leaving that little auto correct

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sabreseven posted:

Other than nuking the November profits, I don't see any strategic gains from CIG having shares or board members in Turbulent or viceversa.

More CIG 'hide the money' shell games?

Strangli - director of Turbulent?

The Turbulent games launcher?

Distraction and obfuscation?

Maybe Chris has realized the real money is the game before the game. They have obviously struck on the whole selling dreams makes more money than trying to deliver on those dreams. Why not sell this opportunity to future dream chasers and enjoy the profits with little or no down side. I mean the "rubes" are literally demanding for CIG to take their money and for the most part absolved Chris of any repercussions.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

The funny thing is that the $9m or so made in November just got evaporated by this deal, basically.

backers should be thankful that their pledges are put to good use.
everything is good for star citizen. as long as it was decided by chris.

chris wants sc on consoles >> good for star citizen!
chris sells his company to investors >> good for star citizen!!
chris buys a house for 4million >> good for star citizen!!

this is just another epic win for chris and the gang against publishers and goons.

pledge more!!

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
who are turbulent again? and who is CIGs accountant?

it's hard to keep up with 7 years worth of this poo poo

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Sabreseven posted:

That's likely it :)

Makes sense and gaining 50% control for only 25% of the cost while basically abusing the backers money and essentially just swapping which pocket it's sat in is very "CIG".

Sometimes I forget who CIG's accountant is :D

I think TheAgent's perspective fixes some of the blurry points in mine.

But yeah, it's beautiful. I admire these people.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

It's more a contra-deal to make a bunch of invoices go away. Curiously, its some of the same maneuvering that Crytek did when it turned out that not many people wanted the engine.

All we're waiting for is some late payroll, and it's rubbing time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/1149232-coming-soon-devstream-134-empyrean/

This Friday DE will show off their multicrew and go into detail about the mechanics, materials and so on.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

I was just going to post how disappointed I was that Joe Blobers had failed to reply after a whole 24 HOURS since a SC/CIG article's publication, and then I saw:

I wouldn't be surprised if he has a home automation assistant thing set up to wake him up in the middle of the night if new Google news alerts about CIG/SC come in.

There is a certain abstract beauty to Joe Blobers. I feel like in 100 years someone will be writing PhDs about his behaviour and the nature of early internet era corporate propaganda tactics. Just like you would learn about how rising literacy rates among the urban poor changed the nature of political discourse in the early 20th century.

Is is just me or by the looks of his writing the guy sounds Russian or Eastern European at any rate. That lack of noun preceding articles..

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

People look back with fondness when they think back on the hobbies they used to enjoy. Nobody looks back with fondness on the times they got scammed. They are going to look back with shame at all the warning signs they blew right past. All the circle jerks about exploring a living, breathing universe will be seen like people already planning how they're going to spend their Nigerian prince millions. They'll have to face the people that were warning them for years and have to face the repercussions from being arrogant little shits to everyone voicing criticism. All their heroes in the story of Star Citizen will become the villains and all the trust and adoration of Chris will turn to hate and scorn. You can't gather with your friends and reminisce about the good old days of Star Citizen, you'll have to move on to the other games you were making GBS threads all over and they won't be as good as you used to imagine Star Citizen could have been. Your real life friends that you tried to sucker into buying in will remind you at random intervals about the time you got sucked into a space MLM and almost got them involved.

They brag about their fleets like they're proud to big spenders but they're really showing that they are even bigger fools.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

:stares:

Ah yes, that Derek Smart who made a video game that never worked right.

Unlike, say, Star Citizen.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

:stares:

Ah yes, that Derek Smart who made a video game that never worked right.

Unlike, say, Star Citizen.

Plot twist: CIG hired Derek Smart and Theaters of War is actually just Line of Defense as another module!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Strangler 42 posted:

People look back with fondness when they think back on the hobbies they used to enjoy. Nobody looks back with fondness on the times they got scammed. They are going to look back with shame at all the warning signs they blew right past. All the circle jerks about exploring a living, breathing universe will be seen like people already planning how they're going to spend their Nigerian prince millions. They'll have to face the people that were warning them for years and have to face the repercussions from being arrogant little shits to everyone voicing criticism. All their heroes in the story of Star Citizen will become the villains and all the trust and adoration of Chris will turn to hate and scorn. You can't gather with your friends and reminisce about the good old days of Star Citizen, you'll have to move on to the other games you were making GBS threads all over and they won't be as good as you used to imagine Star Citizen could have been. Your real life friends that you tried to sucker into buying in will remind you at random intervals about the time you got sucked into a space MLM and almost got them involved.

They brag about their fleets like they're proud to big spenders but they're really showing that they are even bigger fools.

:bisonyes:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Is it still fine to make ok boomer jokes or is that too last month?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Squatty potty.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Pixel lemonade.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ok citizen.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Chris Roberts.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

poo poo posting.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Star Citizen: Sunk Post Fallacy

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Tour of the new station interiors:

https://streamable.com/9uih1

Spoiler alert: they look just like the old station interiors but with more neon, more random twists and turns and stairs, and every NPC just standing stock still with a dead eyed expression because the only things they can get working in this game are the art assets. The player finds and picks up a drink off the floor and that's the most interesting thing that happens in 3 minutes of video.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Plot twist: CIG hired Derek Smart and Theaters of War is actually just Line of Defense as another module!

:eyepop:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kosumo posted:

Star posting.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dementropy posted:

Star Citizen: Sunk Post Fallacy

Here we are, slaving in the comedy mines, and the cockroach king is touching the poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

„Amen brother...
I spend 1.7k on keys for loot boxes in CS:GO and that's ok - because it is a gamble. But if you buy a spaceship for 200$....everybody loses their mind...?
Some people pay more for the gym and don't even go there! ...reminds me of terminating my contract...“

„Absolutely! My point is that I'm seeing progress. And that the rate of the increase of progress is increasing.
There will be a game, I am convinced of that. The playable demo we have so far is pretty impressive though. I mean EA would call it a game and sell it for $100 plus $20/month sub fee.“

:ironicat: :allears: