Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The Gogg has honestly basically vanished from the game in recent days in my experience, which is great for me because it lets me meme on the Zaku Tank with a clear conscience. I assume all the Gogg players got fed up of being completely free kills to Efreets and Gouf VDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I play the Gogg really close to the team and basically as nasty suprise waiting around a corner. The beefyness and difficulty of stunning it means I can lead a charge in to a group of enemies and draw enough fire without dying. Usually everyone is so worried about me that I can break off and take up a better position while my team sets up the battle.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gogg is great when you run into Generals that aren't Efreet, though. The bluezooka meta is so ingrained in some people that it is immensely satisfying to roll up on them, no-sell a bazooka to the face, and watch them switch to their melee weapon out of habit (since they expected you to stagger) as you smack the poo poo out of them.

That being said, though - I stay the hell away from Efreets as a rule. Doesn't matter what I'm playing as - if the shotgun stagger to melee doesn't break your legs, it's still going to take at least drat near half your health.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Nov 28, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I think the Gouf VD going into the DP shop was honestly the death knell for me seeing the Gogg consistently, since the Gouf VD is easily the strongest bluezooka in the game at the cost and coincidentally also has the ability to completely poo poo on the Gogg with almost no recourse - the heat rod is a heavy stagger and the Gogg is gigantic and can't move, and the VD has a brokenly good down melee with tons of range to secure the knockdown 100% of the time after a hit.

It's even so fat that once it's on the ground the VD's neutral stab can still hit it consistently despite going over most prone MS. It's almost a sadder matchup than the Efreet vs Gogg.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Nov 28, 2019

shove me like you do
Dec 9, 2007

Real Neato

Fun Shoe
Got the Zock in the gacha and hoo boy I love my big round boy. Slap all my beam heat cooldown and range damage mods on it and by the time I fire a couple charged volleys the big beam is ready again. Sadly not walking into the big laser seems to be kind of difficult for my teammates.

I've gotten exactly one kill using the instant 180 turn and it surprised me more than the enemy I think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm absolutely trash with it but the Xamel is hilarious

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How is the Full Armor Gundam [TB]? It's in the RT shop and I'm lightly tempted.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
It has a billion guns, a dozen shields that can break independently, and is agile as hell in space. If any of that sounds like your jam, smash that buy button. If it sounds fiddly and hard to use, you're probably right!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Full Armor TB is a pretty bad suit, in all honesty. It has a few major, crippling issues that hurt it really badly.

First, it's a space only 500. That's not a lot of utility for your buck.

Second, it's a raid, and high cost lobbies are lousy with insanely good generals while supports are few and far between. Things are a lot better now that the TB isn't forced to play into unrestricted and can instead play into 500 so it doesn't get creamed by GP series, but it's still pretty rough.

Third, it has a ton of weapons, but all of them are weak and unimpressive; to put out decent damage, you have to spam all of them in rotation, which means you need to *hit* with all of them, which can be very difficult! It's not easy to juggle 5 different ranged weapons that all have different firing characteristics and ranges at once, but you really need to do so to put out the kind of damage you need to at 500+.

Finally, it's hurt very badly by its shield gimmick. The suit is designed to be very fragile for the cost(11k hp on a 500, yikes), but compensates by having 4 big beefy shields. This sounds cool - you have a ton of ablative HP to work with, right? Well, the problem is that each shield has ~3k HP. With the kind of firepower units sling around at 500+ cost, 3k is not really that hard to do quickly, and when a shield gets blown off, you go into a heavy stagger state, but are not invulnerable, which means someone can shoot you again. And pop another shield. And repeat the process, until they break your shields and reach your super fragile creamy innards. You can basically get power-juggled for almost your entire effective lifebar without entering a downed state! That, and of course your big wall of shields does nothing if someone flanks you or gets you in the back, whereupon your raid typing and 11k hp will do you no favors.

Absolutely do not buy it for RT. If you really want to use it despite its shortcomings(which I can understand, since the Full Armor TB's design rules), wait until you rank up enough to buy it for DP. RT is too precious.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 30, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I took another look at it before I hit the exchange button and kinda yikes'd at its hp, and also hadn't initially noticed it was space only. Glad I hesitated. I'll consider it for a DP purchase in the future 'cause it does look rad but yeah RT are too precious.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah it and Psycho Zaku suffer from being some of the earliest suits added to the game

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

New Guncannon is kind of cool. I'm not 100% on how to play it just yet, but I feel like it prefers to combo from its cannons->bazooka and vice versa. You've got no shortage of ways to stagger the enemy, that's for certain.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Love watching a 3000 point lead turn into a 3000 point loss because your dumbass team pushes way the gently caress in and doesn't retreat, a mistake the other team naturally doesn't make when they spawn back in and trash them.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I got rolled on back-to-back 300 point Ground matches because I had teams that scattered like a bunch of cats and did their own thing (while the number of D minuses were evenly divided between the teams, my D minuses were level 1-10 newbies). The enemy team stuck together and got a parade of 5v1 (or at best, 5v2) battles as my clowder of cats continued to feed them.

In one match, they actually let my teammate who beelined for their base like a moth to flame blow it up out of pity.

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
That's typically the best play competitively in that scenario as well. Keep exploiting your local superiority while they spend an extra minute out of their suit guarding the bomb.

One of the best feelings in this game is when you get the message that your base has been blown up, and when you look at the score you see you're 2,500 points ahead anyway.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Does anyone press L2? Does it reduce or counter stagger? It rotates the shield to directly the front so I use it often

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Does anyone press L2? Does it reduce or counter stagger? It rotates the shield to directly the front so I use it often

Kneeling gives a bonus to both damage and defense(going prone gives a larger bonus), which incidentally stacks with the damage bonus that zooming in gives

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
The box missile launcher for the High Mobility Gelgoog UL is awesome. I enjoy mag dumping 4 missiles and then reloading or switching to the wrist missile launcher and beam naginata. Simple and effective weapon set

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I swear there's just something about the beginning of a month that makes the game drop you into team after team of mental invalids. 3 ace matches in a row just now where the team actually played fine up until ace selection, at which point they decided to scatter to the loving winds.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Oh Snapple! posted:

I swear there's just something about the beginning of a month that makes the game drop you into team after team of mental invalids. 3 ace matches in a row just now where the team actually played fine up until ace selection, at which point they decided to scatter to the loving winds.

Are you in a goon clan?

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
Well, gentlefolk, it seems that Zeta has arrived. Rick Dias is the new banner suit, play 50 missions this month to get a Nemo (plus some icons and camo patterns), free 10-draws for everyone for the rest of the year (1/week), and the regular step-up campaign is back on (which seems kind of boring by comparison!).

Edit: and if you decide to roll a regular 10-drop for some godforsaken reason, you get a free tan helmet or spacesuit. Not sure how many people are going to opt for that one...

Since we're getting lead-in Zeta suits now, I'm guessing the Mk II Gundam or an equivalent headliner is going to be the Christmas week suit. Last year we got Kampfer+Alex, so they're likely to throw out something big again. Mk II AEUG (general-type) plus Mk II Titans (raid)?

AYPWIP fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 5, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Rick Dias looks like an absolutely murderous 500 general. Emergency Evasion, Maneuver Armor, Forced Injector, and a new skill that allows you to tackle and only consume 80% of your boost - the latter means it will pretty much automatically win most common close in furballs if played well. I guess the way we're going to break the stranglehold of the GP series is by releasing things just as goddamn silly.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Oh man. This means I can finally go back to my main suit from Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam. The Gabthley.

https://gundam.fandom.com/wiki/RX-110_Gabthley

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

The Rick Dias looks like an absolutely murderous 500 general. Emergency Evasion, Maneuver Armor, Forced Injector, and a new skill that allows you to tackle and only consume 80% of your boost - the latter means it will pretty much automatically win most common close in furballs if played well. I guess the way we're going to break the stranglehold of the GP series is by releasing things just as goddamn silly.

Admittedly, it does fit with the sort of mischief they got up to in the first few episodes of Zeta.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Got the Bishop in one of my 10 pulls tonight, and while I've only used it once so far, honestly my verdict so far is that it's honestly pretty terrible, thing just cannot survive even the slightest chance of anyone getting remotely close to it, which is really silly considering it has a ridiculously close range kit for a Support

Also said match really affirms my belief that if the game is going to have much of a player base at all by the time it celebrates it's 2nd birthday that they need to nerf bazookas(or rather the stun and stagger they cause) into the loving ground, the enemy team was just six General suits all with bazookas(well technically one was a Pezun Dowadge, but I'm counting it), in any sane and balanced game they should have gotten curbstomped, but thanks to the game's idiotic stun mechanics instead they managed to end the game with around 15,000 points, seriously what is wrong with the Japanese gaming industry that they keep putting those kind of loving mechanics in their games, it's not fun to go against and using them is often mindless and dull

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Bishop is the best support in space at 350 and 400, by far. I'm not sure what you mean by it being really short ranged. Are you charging the finger beams? Firing them in shotgun formation isn't effective at all except as a desperation ploy, whereas the charged version basically functions like a beam rifle. It has titanic damage output - a charged finger beam blast can slap a general for 3k+ - and its all range attacks give it total freedom of movement once fired. The common combo with it is charged blast -> set incoms on them and backpedal to open space while they're staggered, repeating the process as necessary.

It can be vulnerable to being aggressively rushed down by competent players, but that is a problem of literally every single support in the game, even the super self-sufficient ones like the Mudrock. You mitigate this issue by positioning around your team. You basically need to use your teammates as a pivot point, constantly rotating to keep them between you and the bad guys. This gets harder if your team is scattered everywhere, of course, but if your team is scattered everywhere your team is probably losing anyway and you need to consolidate, either by people moving towards each other or by everyone dying and doing a group spawn("Let's sortie together!" is a good comm!)

The stagger stuff almost assuredly isn't going anywhere. All of their new suit designs in recent memory are built around the system working the way it is, and changing it would require a massive overhaul to the game on all levels that they're probably not going to do. Honestly, playing into the suits that ignore the stagger mechanics, like the Hildolfr and Assault Guntank, I honestly appreciate the system as it is a lot because I could see how it would go otherwise. Fighting against stagger immune enemies that can ignore everything you do is even more loving frustrating than getting stunlocked to death once in a while. As much as I don't like to pull the :gitgud: card, it honestly sounds like your team in that match was just badly outplayed, which happens to everyone sometimes. They can stagger melee you, but that works both ways, and at that point it comes down to who has the better aim and who acts first. I've had plenty of games where it felt like my team was just a bunch of lambs to the slaughter too.

GBO1 lived for half a decade and only died because the PS3 aged out and they made GBO2 using a ton of reused assets.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 5, 2019

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Kanos posted:

GBO1 lived for half a decade and only died because the PS3 aged out and they made GBO2 using a ton of reused assets.

That explains why this game almost feels retro.

I think the bigger problem is the missions themselves. IE there needs to more of them, and better designed maps.

The whole part of the game where you get out of your suit to cap points and plant bimbs should be removed from the game. Points should get capped if stand near them in a suit and base bombing is just stupid. Oh man I can’t wait to play this gundam game so I can not be in a gundam, instead I’ll hide behind a crate waiting for it to blow up like I’m playing counter strike

How about a mission where one team has a bunch of spaceships they have to protect while the other team has to blow up a certain number of them to win. You know something that actually happens in every gundam show.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Numlock posted:

That explains why this game almost feels retro.

I think the bigger problem is the missions themselves. IE there needs to more of them, and better designed maps.

The whole part of the game where you get out of your suit to cap points and plant bimbs should be removed from the game. Points should get capped if stand near them in a suit and base bombing is just stupid. Oh man I can’t wait to play this gundam game so I can not be in a gundam, instead I’ll hide behind a crate waiting for it to blow up like I’m playing counter strike

How about a mission where one team has a bunch of spaceships they have to protect while the other team has to blow up a certain number of them to win. You know something that actually happens in every gundam show.

The infantry mechanics in the game are pretty much vestigial, yeah, and they don't feel good to play. I wouldn't mind seeing that aspect of the game eliminated. Base bombing, or something that serves the same purpose, should remain intact, though; it serves a vital purpose of giving you a way to lever open an enemy deathball that your team is struggling against; either the deathball will partially break up to deal with the bomb threat, or they'll ignore it and your team can fall back and play defensively to maybe win with the big windfall of points the successful bombing attempt created. I don't think this mechanic needs to necessarily be tied to "I got out of my mobile suit and hid behind a crate with a bazooka", though.

Artillery strikes are also super important but you could probably just have those be called in by crouching your MS next to a point or something.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I really like the infantry mechanics personally. They really heavily remind me of EDF. The bazooka does a fair bit of damage to MS, but your real power play is hucking Flash Grenade all over the place. Also, the other night my team ended up in a 4 man infantry fight inside our drop ship. I was weirdly intense.

I also noticed that you absolutely can capture points while riding a tank, oggo, ball, or the fan bike. You need to be super precisely positioned, like right on the exact flag.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 5, 2019

Numlock
May 19, 2007

9 out of every 10 times an enemy team is smart enough to deathball they ignore a bomb in their base because they are already 3k points ahead or will be by the the time the bomb goes off.

I’d remove the infantry part of the game because out side of a few specific situation getting out of your mech to do anything hurts your team more than it helps.

I’ve been on losing teams countless times because players seemed to think that running around capping points was the most important thing so my team is effectively down a player. Or somebody plants a bomb in the base but there’s less than 60 seconds left in the match (or everybody is too far away to get back there in time) but without fail 2+ idiots will drop what they are doing to rush back there in a futile attempt to defuse it. Hell I've even seen dumbasses standing around cap points (in or out of their mechs) waiting 60+ seconds to be able to call in an artillery strike that might do jack poo poo.

You should just be able to cap points and call arty by standing next to a point in your mech. Bases could be blown up with a few hits from mech weapons but idk only if you controlled 3 or more cap points.

The infantry part of this game is just bad design, and if you just ripped it out and let us do the exact same things in a suit it would massively improve the game.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I honestly feel that I lose more matches because we haven't capped points. I'm obviously the dude running around capping points, or at least breaking off from the death ball for a moment to deal with it. You can't win, except in isolated instances, if you don't have field control. Nothing worse than a have a half damaged team on a roll getting ganked because 3 dudes spawned behind you. Also, if you're not capping points and someone does die they have to go a lot further to get back to the death ball. Heaven help it if the entire thing wipes out somewhere on the enemy half of the map, because that's an instant reset to your spawn, or a random scattering to whatever points you do control by chance.

This is the old Strategy vs. Tactics argument though. I think overall battlefield awareness is what most players are seriously lacking. You can 100% kill a carrier by shooting it btw. It just takes like your whole team, support fire, and a long rear end time.

Edit: I am a big proponent of the idea that all multiplayer shooter things should allow someone to queue for the commander role. Something like how Natural Selection handled it. The Commander basically watches the battle from the overhead map and keeps track of the team. They can issue orders and supply buffs to troops. Clearly, getting people to do what you tell them is the big issue, so they would need to make sure to incentivize following the commander orders. It would be difficult to pair commanders and teams to relative skill levels, obviously it would be a huge detriment to have a total idiot for a Commander. And obviously playing that role would only appeal to a restricted group of players, so they would probably have to incentivize playing it as well. I think one of the Battlefield games briefly experimented with the idea, but I don't remember hearing anything about it afterwards. Either way, every time there is talk of some new combined arms title I really hope they do something like this. Even as a like an app for smart phones/tablets. So far, I just go install Natural Selection 2 and hope there is a populated server.

Edit Edit: gently caress, can we get a new Virtual-On already. Not just Temjin and Fei Yen showing up in random idol gatcha games TIA. And my new version of Steel Battalion, that poo poo should be easy with USB standard on everything.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 6, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bombing won't drag your team back from a crushing sweep, but it can absolutely win you a game where the enemy has a lead, but not a huge one, if the enemy team does not respond immediately. They need to either press their power play advantage extremely quickly, or devote 2+ people to disarming(because one person should never, ever be able to successfully disarm against a competent bomber who knows how to hide). I lost a 350 game earlier today because my team was up ~2k, we ignored the bomber, and they managed to drag it back to beat us by <500 points. It's a really important and useful part of the game when utilized properly.

As for capping points, how and when to do it is a matter of timing and map. Some examples:
  • On Abandoned City there's very little point in spending time taking A or B - they're far out of the way from the main fighting lanes.
  • Desert is a king of the hill map and control over E gives the controlling team a titanic advantage - if you gently caress off at the start and run off to cap side points, you are actively handicapping your team in the initial clash and are running a risk of sabotaging the whole match, because digging a competent team off the middle hill once they've taken it is incredibly difficult and they can snipe the whole drat map from there. Capping side points for more airstrikes/denying enemy territory is good, but only once you've got E sewn up.
  • Mountain is much like Desert in that it's a king of the hill format, except even more polarizing. Matches on the map are very frequently decided by who takes and holds C first because of how easy it is to bottle the enemy team up in their spawn alley because Mountain is a poo poo map where flanking doesn't exist. So many players are afraid to advance into the middle and fight it out and instead do worthless sneak-and-peeks while the enemy takes the middle and that's that.
  • Impact Site is one of the better designed maps with regards to point play - the middle points are hugely vital but are nestled in heavy cover that makes it easy for an enterprising infantryman ejecting from a dying MS to shank your points, which can lead to big swings in how the match is going. A timely decap on the enemy point as a couple of them die can literally win you the game as their formation breaks and they're forced back into their spawn alley.

How to play the map objectives is really interesting.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

You guys keep talking about the 1/10 times people actually are smart about when the cap and bomb. The other 9 times that is not what’s happening. The only equalizer is that the other team is just as bad about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is this a lovely game with gundams or a good game with gundams

AYPWIP
Sep 19, 2017
Yes.

...Sorry, too easy. The answer is that it's a decent game with gundams if you like things relatively slow and stompy, but (as per this page) there are annoyances that may or may not be hindrances to your having fun.

The barrier to entry is low, so you may as well give it a shot!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

Worth a try and they are giving away free poo poo again too.

Just note that doing the tutorials are worth doing and give you stuff.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Numlock posted:

You guys keep talking about the 1/10 times people actually are smart about when the cap and bomb. The other 9 times that is not what’s happening. The only equalizer is that the other team is just as bad about it.

I don't think "a lot of people play the game badly" is really grounds for removing meaningful game mechanics, because you could argue that for literally any mechanic in the game. Most people have no idea how to play as a team; should we make the game 1v1 because dealing with bad teammates is frustrating?

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Only if it's a separate mode with classic Gundam VS rules.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Room makes, 4 A players and 6 B players.

Game proceeds to put 3 of the A players on one team.

Blown out by 5000 points.

Thanks game I appreciate the extra effort you went to in order to gently caress five folks.

I deeply wish I wasn't completely starved for Gundam games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh Snapple! posted:

Room makes, 4 A players and 6 B players.

Game proceeds to put 3 of the A players on one team.

Blown out by 5000 points.

Thanks game I appreciate the extra effort you went to in order to gently caress five folks.

I deeply wish I wasn't completely starved for Gundam games.

In this case, it's likely that they were low As matched against high Bs. The game equalizes the MMR numbers as best as it can without reference to the letter rank.