Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

canyoneer posted:

There are no lols to be had in this tale.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/e62snl/does_my_employer_have_the_right_to_tell_me_that/
Does my employer have the right to tell me that I'm not allowed to use food banks - WA
Other Civil Matters

The consensus in that thread seems to be that both in the US in 2019 and a Dickens novel that it is probably legal

Sad with money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/e62snl/does_my_employer_have_the_right_to_tell_me_that/
Does my employer have the right to tell me that I'm not allowed to use food banks - WA
Other Civil Matters

The consensus in that thread seems to be that both in the US in 2019 and a Dickens novel that it is probably legal

The dichotomy of reading this reddit post and the responses on the last page from this thread's incredibly affluent regulars is giving me whiplash. OP here is working 40-50hrs a week to support the homeless and is nearly homeless herself. Her effective wage is $8/hr. Jesus christ.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

canyoneer posted:

Other Civil Matters

Seattle hates its homeless population so it isn’t surprising that they hate the people helping them. I’m sure it’s legal but it should tell her all she needs to know about her employer.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

The dichotomy of reading this reddit post and the responses on the last page from this thread's incredibly affluent regulars is giving me whiplash. OP here is working 40-50hrs a week to support the homeless and is nearly homeless herself. Her effective wage is $8/hr. Jesus christ.

It's absolutely loving shameful that we undervalue our teachers, social workers, and other people who do the poo poo jobs that support our society. That must and should change if we are to progress. However, I don't think there as many Pelotonians in this thread as some people would like you to believe.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The Pelotonian Guard was the lamest Roman bodyguard. They did love avocadoes though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Centurions are KILLING the avocado industry

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Centurions are DECIMATING the avocado industry

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Plebians buying frivolous garum toast will never save up enough denarii to buy their first villas.
-A patrician

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

crazypeltast52 posted:

Plebians buying frivolous garum toast will never save up enough denarii to buy their first villas.
-A patrician

Ok Caesar.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
From the stock trading thread:

https://twitter.com/Hipster_Trader/...%3D1225%23pti25

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tight aspirations posted:

15 Million Merits, IIRC, where they had to ride an exercise bike to accrue merits for food, shelter(?) and talent show appearances.

I think this and the other posts referencing Black Mirror nails it. Idgaf about the way the sexism/classism/rail thin-ism whatever, it doesn’t make me mad, it’s just loving weird.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Midjack posted:

Ok Caesar.

better as OK, Optimate

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Peloton delenda est

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

tumblr hype man posted:

Seattle hates its homeless population

What city doesn't?

Honest question: is there a single metro area in the US that does not treat homeless people like garbage?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

enraged_camel posted:

What city doesn't?

Honest question: is there a single metro area in the US that does not treat homeless people like garbage?

Minneapolis is pretty chill about homeless. But it also takes a special sort to be homeless in Minneapolis.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

Peloton delenda est

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

What city doesn't?

Salt Lake City, briefly, allegedly. Then later not so much.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-homelessness-housing/once-a-national-model-utah-struggles-with-homelessness-idUSKCN1P41EQ

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Dik Hz posted:

Minneapolis is pretty chill about homeless.

Literally chill this time of year.

While Minneapolis may be better than other major cities, they're not all that great. There's a perpetual shortage of emergency shelters, so when it gets REAL cold in winter there isn't space for everyone. With all the recent stuff about tearing down encampments, it's just going to get worse.

The shelters literally have lotteries to see who gets a bed and who has to spend the night out in the cold.

Dik Hz posted:

But it also takes a special sort to be homeless in Minneapolis.

Sure, but it's not like the homeless can just pack up and winter in Arizona or something with the rest of the snow birds.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

canyoneer posted:

Other Civil Matters

What I don't understand about this story is how her boss gets in that position in the first place. Like, if you're a heartless monster why did you go into social work and how did you perform well enough at it to earn a number of promotions so that you're in charge of other social workers?

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

enraged_camel posted:

What city doesn't?

Pittsburgh. I assume that is because over 50% of the population is homeless/panhandles so they have the voting block to pass favorable laws.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

untzthatshit posted:

What I don't understand about this story is how her boss gets in that position in the first place. Like, if you're a heartless monster why did you go into social work and how did you perform well enough at it to earn a number of promotions so that you're in charge of other social workers?

COULD be some well-meaning-but-misguided, "they have it worse than you don't take food out of their mouths" sort of thing.

But more likely it's a, "I don't want people to think we're skimming off the top" or trying to avoid a perceived conflict of interest sort of thing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

DaveSauce posted:

But more likely it's a, "I don't want people to think we're skimming off the top" or trying to avoid a perceived conflict of interest sort of thing.

Ding ding ding!

He’s afraid people will complain that she’s gaming the system to get free food. Chances are it’s already happened, or will happen soon.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

I get it. But in a just world that should instead reflect poorly on him for paying so little his employees need to use same resources as their clients. And if it's a situation where he simply can't pay any more than he does, then he should shut up and look the other way.

I read the rest of that thread and it sounds like her job is just insanely lovely. She's technically a part time employee on an OT exempt contract so no benefits or overtime but claims to frequently work full time hours. Someone pointed out that starting next month federal law mandates that you can't be overtime exempt if you make less than $35,000 so this may be the employer's way of forcing her out before he has to pay her more.

But again, if you're such a tremendous rear end in a top hat why do you work in this field?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

untzthatshit posted:

But again, if you're such a tremendous rear end in a top hat why do you work in this field?
Sometimes people lack both ambition and empathy.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

untzthatshit posted:

There are a couple of different personality types who get involved in the kind of charitable work like what's described in the Reddit post.

The first are people like the Reddit OP. They've had some experience, or at least brush, with desperate poverty, and they're activists doing everything they can to stop it. They're willing to take poo poo pay, and suffer through awful work conditions, because they believe what they're doing is incredibly important.

The second are wealthy people who feel some sense of noblesse oblige, or who just can't get a job anywhere else. They're willing to take poo poo pay because Mother and Father (or maybe their spouse) covers all the expenses. They like the inspiring stories but they've never come to grips with the reality of poverty. They're rich kids who don't bother to grow up.

When it comes time to hit up rich donors for big checks, the second group of people tend to do very well. They come from a similar cultural background, they really like the inspiring stories that get donors to pull out their checkbooks, and they're not "super intense" about the whole thing. They genuinely like the fundraising side of the organization. Meanwhile, the activists see a $300/plate prime rib fundraiser dinner that costs $250/head to host at a country club's event room, and want to loving scream at the top of their lungs. Sure, it might be a net benefit, but every plate of nice beef could feed a starving kid for a month. Oh, and those "inspiring stories" are half a step away from making someone dance for the money they need to live. They believe it's not OK to ask someone to get on stage and share personal, sometimes embarrassing details about the reality of their life to rich people eating a fancy dinner for the sake of a few bucks.

In small organizations, the big donors just sit on the board and directly promote the rich kids who build relationships with them. In big organizations, fundraising is job number 1, because they're all run like a business and you gotta grow your revenue centers. The rich kids are good at that work, while the activists would rather go out and actually try to help one more person before they collapse back in bed at the end of the day. The rich kids get promoted into management roles.

Oh, and once management is full of rich people who've never seen poverty and don't ever need to bother managing money, they're perfectly happy to do the classic rich person thing of saying "oh, you want to talk about money? How trashy, clearly you just don't care about more important things, like I do." That includes things like "the paycheck you are giving me is literally below the poverty line and probably minimum wage, so I need to use the food bank to survive."

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

untzthatshit posted:

I get it. But in a just world that should instead reflect poorly on him for paying so little his employees need to use same resources as their clients. And if it's a situation where he simply can't pay any more than he does, then he should shut up and look the other way.

I read the rest of that thread and it sounds like her job is just insanely lovely. She's technically a part time employee on an OT exempt contract so no benefits or overtime but claims to frequently work full time hours. Someone pointed out that starting next month federal law mandates that you can't be overtime exempt if you make less than $35,000 so this may be the employer's way of forcing her out before he has to pay her more.

I think this is an extreme situation and OP is definitely getting unnecessarily hosed over. But in the real world social workers are a stone's throw away from the people they're trying to help. It is not a lucrative career by any means.

Not to defend the guy, but it's not that difficult of a scenario to imagine. He's worried about the perception that his employees are benefiting from the services they are providing. So there's a very real possibility that people will see this and refuse to donate food/money/time because, "it just goes to the people who work there." If the donations dry up, they can't carry out their mission.

That doesn't make it right, but I think we can classify this closer to idiocy than malice.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Thanks for reminding me that I forgot to send our annual donations on Giving Tuesday.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

This got me so riled up I went and donated $150 to my local food bank..

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
local food banks are typically GWD (Good With Donations).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

that is not necessarily true, you're gonna want to do a bit of research first

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
It’s better to donate money to food bank than your pantry refuse though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

It’s better to donate money to food bank than your pantry refuse though.

oh for sure

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
Always donate money. Food pantries get big discounts on food so they can buy a lot more than you can get at the store.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that is not necessarily true, you're gonna want to do a bit of research first

Definitely, hence the qualifier "typically."

Any place you donate to should be subject to scrutiny. But monetary donations to local food banks are usually a great option to help feed people, keep the money local, and have the biggest impact per dollar.

Splish
Sep 17, 2008
Nothing brings out my inner rear end in a top hat Republican like people complaining that legal weed is too expensive in California. Like if you can't afford $35 for an eighth you need to work more or smoke less.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Ok boomer

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Splish posted:

Nothing brings out my inner rear end in a top hat Republican like people complaining that legal weed is too expensive in California. Like if you can't afford $35 for an eighth you need to work more or smoke less.

Er.... shouldn't your Inner Republican be demanding less regulation in order to restore free market prices and reduce government interference in one's personal decisions...?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

that's old school R. now it's just whatever is worst for poor people.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Top shelf isn't $35/eighth anymore, unless you're going black market, hence the whole discussion. My buddy buys edibles to sleep that used be $10 when it was medical, now they're $28 at "legal" prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Splish posted:

I think I used to pay $35 for two Gs back in the day - and that was like 10 years ago - so this is an insanely good price.