Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thoughts on Ultra Galaxy Fight Episode 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2L5fIpKdTY
English link

Interesting that Geed must have New Generation Capsules Alpha and Beta, or be able to access them 'remotely' to turn Zero to Zero Beyond.
(actually, its most likely because they had no budget to hire Leito's actor, same way you don't see Riku's actor in this series.)

Ribut is able to hold his own against Tregear? It seems more like Ribut was on the way to figuring out how to defeat Tregear, but Tregear didn't want to stick around to give him the chance to figure him out.

Funny that they gave Tregear's voice to a British sounding actor, while all the Ultras have pretty much Midwest/American accents.

Nice to see everyone joining into their composite forms, especially Groob. I was under the impression Groob was 100% CGI, glad there's a suit for him.

Would have preferred Geed became Royal Megamaster, but Ultimate Geed is what I guess he felt he has to go to.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Oof I definitely wasn't feeling that episode of Taiga.

With the exception of only a few episodes, that's my feeling about the whole series. Geed at least had some overarching themes and Riku's actor was great, along with the supporting cast. Taiga.. dah, Yuki just seems like he's there, and from the get go it doesn't seem like Yuki really has a stake in this. At least Riku had Belial threatening his 'family,' Yuki didn't even know Hirosaki was gunning for him until only the last few episodes. IMHO this series has the feel of a director looking at Geed and trying (and failing) to make something similar, like Star Trek: Into Darkness was a hamfisted, awkward attempt at re-doing Wrath of Khan.

quote:

It definitely cemented that they should simply shelve Belial (yeah yeah I know it was "false Belial" but still) and Zero for a while.

If anything, it was a diluted clone of Belial. Since it was able to clown Titus and Fuma through sheer strength, it does point up how powerful Belial was, since this clone only had 'a little' of Belial's DNA since Zarab said he didn't get much of it.

quote:

It was fun seeing some of the old aliens, especially the Sran Alien who hasn't been seen since Max but in the end everything was a bit deus ex machina with the "here's the new toy power up, welp, see ya" and just kind of a mess overall. Welp, onto the 2-part finale.

If I remember correctly, Alien Sran had super-speed powers from his Max appearance, so in my mind he easily got away from Fake Belial smashing the building. I agree that 1) Zero literally had no reason to even be there, since this is technically another universe, and 2) maybe you could argue that Zero can sense Belial respawning no matter where in the universe(s) so he ran off to nip him in the bud. Or maybe Taro sent him a message saying "uh oh I see Belial is up to his old tricks again on Earth-239 or something" but, yeah, there's not much to justify his presence there. Either way I agree Zero's appearance is probably more for ratings than anything else.

Belial without his full intelligence/mind is just a waste, and with enough power he can be defeated, his real threat is his ability to lurk behind the scenes in search of ever more power, just creating him out of leftover DNA essentially gets you an overpowered henchman with little wits, which is literally all he is good for this episode.

I'm not feeling too good about the 2-part finale, which starts with "I am Pirika?" I know they're running out of tropes, but the one about "gigantic monster is summoned from the great beyond" was literally twice used in the same series before with much more effect (Diglobe and Mokian, Ultraman Gaia) and I'm not real happy with how this new threat has been presented so far.. okay, it's XXX million miles away which is what I assume the counter is for, and Tregear somehow gave Pirika the ability to 'see' this kaiju's approach, how the hell can Taiga defeat it if it's planetary sized?

I suspect that Zero's off the cuff comment after Taiga defeats Fake Belial might have something to do with this.. I saw it as "when we harmonize our powers, we can go to TWO MILLION percent!" So every Ultraman, including Taiga, can cut a notch in their internal control panel and move the stick shift from 1-4x to a new 2,000,000x position? Gee, sounds wacky, but perhaps this could explain how Cosmos and Justice could combine to form Ultraman Legend, who can destroy asteroid-sized invader ships by literally doing nothing but pirouetting.

If Taiga is the result of trying to hit one out of the park after Geed (IMHO home run, movie with Orb was inside the park HR) and R/B (IMHO bloop single that got lost in the sun, movie was single stretched into a double,) maybe it's time to go on hiatus for a year or two?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 8, 2019

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Brazil is making a loving Jaspion remake movie

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Plutonis posted:

Brazil is making a loving Jaspion remake movie

I have to ask for clarification, do you mean Juspion, because Brazil loves some loving metal heroes and that misspelling could go a lot of ways

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Ultraman Zero is evidently hugely popular in China..

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/1589

Good to see Yuta Ozawa will never want for work as Leito, he seems to show up a lot in Tsuburaya live stage shows lately.

that book was boring anyway

where'd that quarter go?

I don't like quarters

I don't like you either

unhand that.. that guy

evil is defeated again, lets have cake

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 8, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

I have to ask for clarification, do you mean Juspion, because Brazil loves some loving metal heroes and that misspelling could go a lot of ways
It's gotta be, right? There's no Jaspion that I know of or that Google can find, but it is the way you would write ジャスピオン in any circumstance except the one where someone told you to write Juspion.

EDIT: For clarity, I do know that it is almost certainly Juspion because of "Jus"tice. 「ジャス」ピオン、「ジャス」ティス。

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 8, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I gotta be honest some of these are ugly as hell

https://twitter.com/TheTokuNet/status/1203520841302073346?s=20

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I caught up on Zero-One after holidays.

The character named Is has a dead older brother named Was.

e: This week has a satellite named "There"

Caphi fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 8, 2019

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

It's gotta be, right? There's no Jaspion that I know of or that Google can find, but it is the way you would write ジャスピオン in any circumstance except the one where someone told you to write Juspion.

EDIT: For clarity, I do know that it is almost certainly Juspion because of "Jus"tice. 「ジャス」ピオン、「ジャス」ティス。

Because he's the Champion of Justice of course

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Caphi posted:

I caught up on Zero-One after holidays.

The character named Is has a dead older brother named Was.

e: This week has a satellite named "There"

Gonna blow your mind a little more.
The satellite voice Izu communicates with, who is separate from There/Zea, is That (ザット), Aruto's father is SORE(That, 其れ)o, Aruto's grandfather is KORE(This, 此れ)nosuke, Isamu's surname is "Who are" (フハ, ふ/フ is used for "hoo" sounds), and Yaiba's surname is "You are" (ユア).

The name puns in Zero-One are strong, especially compared to "The Time is Sougo" (Toki wa Sougo), "Bill Gates" (Geiz), "Rabbit Tank" (Sento), and "Woohoo I'm a dragon!" (Banjou Ryu ga!)

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Trogglodyte posted:

The satellite voice Izu communicates with, who is separate from There/Zea, is That (ザット), Aruto's father is SORE(That, 其れ)o, Aruto's grandfather is KORE(This, 此れ)nosuke, Isamu's surname is "Who are" (フハ, ふ/フ is used for "hoo" sounds), and Yaiba's surname is "You are" (ユア).

The name puns in Zero-One are strong, especially compared to "The Time is Sougo" (Toki wa Sougo), "Bill Gates" (Geiz), "Rabbit Tank" (Sento), and "Woohoo I'm a dragon!" (Banjou Ryu ga!)
Wait, is Geiz really taken from Bill Gates? I thought he explained in one of the #.5s that it just sounded cool.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Trogglodyte posted:

Bit of a correction there, Yaiba's name is Yua, not surname. Her surname is Yaiba. No one has referred to her by her name, just like Fuwa, I guess because no one is close to them as friends.

Also you forget that Tokiwa Sougo is also a pun on Tokiwa-sou while Geiz comes from "Gates", as emperors were considered a gate to the divine or something to that extent.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Wait, is Geiz really taken from Bill Gates? I thought he explained in one of the #.5s that it just sounded cool.

Blaze Dragon posted:

while Geiz comes from "Gates", as emperors were considered a gate to the divine or something to that extent.

I brought up Bill Gates as more of gag. It's also not just in the .5s, it's also in the HBV, where Geiz gets the BiBiru Geiz form. I did forget the Tokiwa-so reference. There's another reference in Geiz's "Gates" nomenclature. Among the many terms of Japanese emperors was the Mikado (御門), which is where that "Emperors were considered a gate to the divine" explanation comes from. It doesn't take a keen eye to see the kado(門) there is the same as in Kadoya Tsukasa (矢 士). I remember discussing with people back when all we had for Zi-O was the Q1 DX toy catalogs and Gashapon toy catalogs and the leaked Buttobasoul images, when people thought his name was Gates, that it was gonna connect more significantly to Decade other than a convenient reference.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So just a PSA for people who may have downloaded this week's raws

https://twitter.com/overtimesubs/status/1203703343543193606

We're going to see if this is just a piracy countermeasure and if they release a better encode in a couple days or if this is for permanent.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Zero-one 14 preview spoilers: Looks like Horobi is using the Dodo key to Forcerise now. Interesting because I don't recall it ever showing up in toy scans.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the first episode of Zero-One that I really felt wasn't that great. Sad, since it had lots of good moments, but the overall was...confused.

It tried to do too much at once. Presenting the Spaceman Brothers, Fuwa's rage, the Assault Wolf key, the Authorise Buster, Jin awakening, a new Kamen Rider...it was too much at once. Overall nothing really has the impact it should because of that: it's impossible to care much about Raiden because we barely met him, his cool suit is pointless because he just gets destroyed near-immediately, and Fuwa feels like a secondary character in an episode that's meant to be about him. Not to mention how the whole sequence of events for the Assault Wolf is rather contrived: did Metsuboujinrai.NET need a specific amount of Progrise Keys? Was it those, specifically? It's horribly unclear why it works when we know of several Keys that aren't used and the Keys used here come from three different sources (Hiden Intelligence, ZAIA, Metsuboujinrai.NET) yet they're only a subset of those since we know Keys from all three that were not taken. It's also really bizarre that it specifically creates a wolf Key, which feels like it's there just to give it to Fuwa specifically, plus Horobi comes across as a massive idiot for giving the brand-new super powerful Progrise Key to someone as clumsy as Jin.

I feel the next episode will be a lot stronger but this one really should've been two episodes because too much happened too fast, with events that weren't even properly connected to each other.

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
It's the result of trying to cram three upgrade debuts all across three episodes back-to-back in some kinda pseudo-arc. Gotta build up a credible threat, build up a credible sign of growth or detailing of the upgraded character to help get you into the scene, gotta tie it all into the plot to make this entire moment significant, and then do that again two more times, two of which are for the same character. How Fuwa got Assault Wolf was almost on par with Kaixa just chucking the Axel Watch at Faiz and saying "HEY, USE THIS!"

This is why you never do shared upgrades.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

I would wear the fourze one with NO SHAME

also my ultraseven discs just shipped so that's very exciting, for me

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Anyone who had your bets on no Ikazuchi merchandise because he's just a Monster of the Week please come collect your winnings

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Of all the people to be shilling Shin Ultraman...

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1204247021126746112

Higuchi: "And this is when he knees Red King in the groin"

Cook: " WTF "

SHIN ULTRAMAN: shot on an iPhone 11 Pro Max

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 10, 2019

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Of all the people to be shilling Shin Ultraman...

https://twitter.com/tim_cook/status/1204247021126746112

Higuchi: "And this is when he knees Red King in the groin"

Cook: " WTF "

SHIN ULTRAMAN: shot on an iPhone 11 Pro Max

You've broken my brain with this

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the first episode of Zero-One that I really felt wasn't that great. Sad, since it had lots of good moments, but the overall was...confused.

It tried to do too much at once. Presenting the Spaceman Brothers, Fuwa's rage, the Assault Wolf key, the Authorise Buster, Jin awakening, a new Kamen Rider...it was too much at once. Overall nothing really has the impact it should because of that: it's impossible to care much about Raiden because we barely met him, his cool suit is pointless because he just gets destroyed near-immediately, and Fuwa feels like a secondary character in an episode that's meant to be about him. Not to mention how the whole sequence of events for the Assault Wolf is rather contrived: did Metsuboujinrai.NET need a specific amount of Progrise Keys? Was it those, specifically? It's horribly unclear why it works when we know of several Keys that aren't used and the Keys used here come from three different sources (Hiden Intelligence, ZAIA, Metsuboujinrai.NET) yet they're only a subset of those since we know Keys from all three that were not taken. It's also really bizarre that it specifically creates a wolf Key, which feels like it's there just to give it to Fuwa specifically, plus Horobi comes across as a massive idiot for giving the brand-new super powerful Progrise Key to someone as clumsy as Jin.

I feel the next episode will be a lot stronger but this one really should've been two episodes because too much happened too fast, with events that weren't even properly connected to each other.
It wasn't a very strong episode, no.

I do love that Fuwa actually calls out that the key belongs to him because it has a wolf. And him forcing the key to open reinforces the comparison to the Forceriser again.

More pressingly though. Does the Assault wolf key even fit in the Forceriser? The Forceriser has a lever on one side and that top part that forces the key to open that moves to the other side.
But the Assault wolf already has its own lever (grip?) on one side. Feels like it wouldn't fit well. :shrug:
But someone with toy knowledge can probably shed some light on this.

I love the implication that Hiden Corp actually has to fire the bike back into space whenever Aruto used it and they specifically have 2 humagears to do this. :allears: It's so stupid.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m getting super stoked

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

More pressingly though. Does the Assault wolf key even fit in the Forceriser? The Forceriser has a lever on one side and that top part that forces the key to open that moves to the other side.
But the Assault wolf already has its own lever (grip?) on one side. Feels like it wouldn't fit well. :shrug:
But someone with toy knowledge can probably shed some light on this.

It fits in - the Assault Grip looks a bit weird sticking out, but it works.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m getting super stoked

Looks like being an Ultraman actor guarantees job security, even after the show is over

Kinda like those Toho actors who kept getting recycled every other movie.. it's heart warming

Here, actors are afraid of getting typecast..

How well will the Titas live actor be able to move around in all that muscle padding? Guess we'll see..

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My dudes...

https://twitter.com/kaiju_sommelier/status/1205444146627936257

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

We finally got the Ridewatches for the Zi-O movie! Though they aren't all too interesting, but at least Barlckxs' (god I can't believe I spelled that right) jingle is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeP98RlOwro
"That form is...Black! RX! The evil Rider is...Barlckxs!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6V5Q2fIeY
"That form is...Amazons! The evil Rider is...Zamonas!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79QsYpy-WmA
"That form is...Shin! ZO! J! The evil Rider is...Zonjis!"

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Just make sure that IS Pigmon. Garamons can be crafty bastards. Best tie a balloon to them

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A sequel to SSSS Gridman may possibly be in the works, this video was just released showing clips from the anime and ending with an ad for something called Dynazenon:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6IUEiOcTms0

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
In further Ultranews, have a look at Shin Ultraman.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

A sequel to SSSS Gridman may possibly be in the works, this video was just released showing clips from the anime and ending with an ad for something called Dynazenon:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6IUEiOcTms0

They DID announce the next Grifman, but it’s in the Gridman universe.

Also: ITS HAPPENING!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

They DID announce the next Grifman, but it’s in the Gridman universe.

Also: ITS HAPPENING!!!

Do we know when this Dynazenon thing is supposed to start yet in that case (or anything about it beyond the title)?

Related, has there been any further word on the second season of the Ultraman anime? I’m pretty sure they announced that there was going to be one a little while back.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 14, 2019

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness
Given the last frame, seems to be that a central fixture of Dynazenon is the Dyna Dragon, which was used to make Thunder Gridman. I wonder if Gridsy himself'll be getting it, or if Anti will.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Do we know when this Dynazenon thing is supposed to start yet in that case (or anything about it beyond the title)?

Related, has there been any further word on the second season of the Ultraman anime? I’m pretty sure they announced that there was going to be one a little while back.

Merry Christmas

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mother Fucker that's just the original Ultraman suit

How did I not see that coming

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wish I could get excited about all this Ultra stuff.

Let me know if they do a live action Gridman thing that returns to the blacklight day-glo cyber cities of the original. I miss the “this is the 90s and there is time for Klax” aesthetic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

I wish I could get excited about all this Ultra stuff.

Let me know if they do a live action Gridman thing that returns to the blacklight day-glo cyber cities of the original. I miss the “this is the 90s and there is time for Klax” aesthetic.

Well if anyone was curious about it someone apparently uploaded the entirety of the original Gridman to YouTube complete with English subs:

https://youtube.com/channel/UCIRHmHHdH0SYsrSqmhRfC4A/videos

Though if the current releases continue its possible we may get an official DVD over here one day.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

Merry Christmas

I hope this time it actually adapts the manga instead of changing a bunch of things like the first season. It wasn't terrible but every change it made only hurt the end-product and caused some really obvious plot holes.

I also hope this Shin Ultraman doesn't beat you over the head with YEARS AND YEARS OF LORE because god, Ultraman is just completely impossible to get into for me as it is right now. Every time I try, there's just a bunch of legend forms as if I was watching an even more extreme version of an anniversary Kamen Rider.

I'm also super hyped for more SSSStuff. SSSS.Gridman was super good and more like that? I'm up for it, always.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm excited about Shin Ultraman because it's pretty much what Hideaki Anno has been working towards for his entire goddamn life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trogglodyte
Apr 5, 2015

Infinite Darkness

Burkion posted:

Mother Fucker that's just the original Ultraman suit

While it clearly takes cues from the Type A suit (the same one that Anno was terrified of when he was younger), it's actually not based on any specific version of the Shodai's suit, and instead is based on the original concept design for Ultraman, by painter Touru Narita. The designer wanted to "bring the painting works to life," and as such are basing the designs off of the original painting - meaning no Color Timer or eyeholes.