Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You can code out the traction control completely with any of the long coding tools for the GTI or R. There are several options, but I think you can make the three second press on the button turn it completely off so you can still have it on for normal driving and quick press turn off ASR but leave on stability control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rusty posted:

You can code out the traction control completely with any of the long coding tools for the GTI or R. There are several options, but I think you can make the three second press on the button turn it completely off so you can still have it on for normal driving and quick press turn off ASR but leave on stability control.

I did this but I think there is something you can ever completely code out IIRC.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I did this but I think there is something you can ever completely code out IIRC.
Ahh, I haven't done it yet since I haven't had any issue with ASR, certainly not cutting power. I see it come on sometimes when I hit it hard around a corner, but it doesn't cut power from what I have experienced.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

CommieGIR posted:

I was out on the ice in Atlanta after our blizzard
That's what, 6" of snow? ;)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fknlo posted:

Yeah, it's a sport, and that's not my experience at all. Basically any wheelspin and it's pulling power even when "disabled". Nothing violent or crazy necessary.

drive smoother ;)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

betterinsodapop posted:

That's what, 6" of snow? ;)

It was thw snow that melted and refroze

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Rusty posted:

On the Audis I’ve had if you pressed and released the traction control button it put it into “sport mode” where the traction control intervention was reduced. If you press and held the button for 3 seconds it would disable it completely and put a big “TRACTION CONTROL IS OFF” warning on the dash.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bape Culture posted:

I can confirm I’m not jon git.
Anyway I found a V10 PLUS manual and the guy is getting back to me if it isn’t sold today ftw.

That's quite a car. Good luck!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mr. Apollo posted:

On the Audis I’ve had if you pressed and released the traction control button it put it into “sport mode” where the traction control intervention was reduced. If you press and held the button for 3 seconds it would disable it completely and put a big “TRACTION CONTROL IS OFF” warning on the dash.

This is what my r does without modification I think

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A bit late to AWD chat, but I drove a 981 Cayman through a Madison, WI winter just fine with snow tires, although to be fair southern Wisconsin doesn't get much snow.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Withnail posted:

I live in the mountains and would rather drive a FWD with blizzaks than an AWD with all-seasons. It seems like AWD is nice once every few years when you get stuck in a weird spot in a ski area parking lot.

This x1000, I drove over the snowiest, sketchiest two lane mountain pass in colorado every winter for 10 years with FWD and never got stuck. It's also nice because all the dumbasses in Tahoes and 4 Runners who are off the side off the road don't expect you to help pull them out in a Jetta so your commute is faster than if you had AWD.

Also Blizzaks are great for the first 500 miles but really blow rear end after that, check out Hakkapelitas instead if you want something that lasts longer.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

This is what my r does without modification I think
It does it on the GTI too, the issue with the GTI (I am not sure if it is with Audi or the R) is that there is still a bunch of assist going on. You can code most of that out, but apparently there is still some assist left even on the three second press.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rusty posted:

It does it on the GTI too, the issue with the GTI (I am not sure if it is with Audi or the R) is that there is still a bunch of assist going on. You can code most of that out, but apparently there is still some assist left even on the three second press.

At least on my 2007 GTI a long hold turns off some of the features but it very much still does something with the brakes under spirited driving. I didn't realize this and had it turned 'off' at my first track day with this car years ago and it did something (maybe braked an outside wheel or cut throttle, I can't remember) on a corner that felt super unpredictable and I think it flashed the traction control light which was already illuminated from having been turned 'off'. It certainly felt invasive and it made me uncomfortable to push very much with the car.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

VelociBacon posted:

At least on my 2007 GTI a long hold turns off some of the features but it very much still does something with the brakes under spirited driving. I didn't realize this and had it turned 'off' at my first track day with this car years ago and it did something (maybe braked an outside wheel or cut throttle, I can't remember) on a corner that felt super unpredictable and I think it flashed the traction control light which was already illuminated from having been turned 'off'. It certainly felt invasive and it made me uncomfortable to push very much with the car.
Yeah, I just went out in some rain and turned it off for some spirited driving and was easily able to see it come on and seem to actually cut power, so I guess I was wrong, it does cut power in some circumstances. I'm going to do the long coding and see the difference.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

This might have something to do with it? Saw it linked in a thread about disabling ASR/ESC, apparently Vibration Reduction is the missing piece

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 10, 2019

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Newest stupid thing the car did. I now get to tear apart the steering wheel area to replace the ignition cylinder/switch.
I went to start the car the other day and I just cannot physically turn the key at all. Not even to the accessory position.

Procedure looks pretty simple other than having to drill out some sheer bolts that hold the cylinder in.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Deviant posted:

This might have something to do with it? Saw it linked in a thread about disabling ASR/ESC, apparently Vibration Reduction is the missing piece

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21888
Thanks, I have been messing around, and changing it to ESC Sport / ESC off seems to mostly turn the assists off with the long press for anyone else interested. I know it still probably has some underlying assists going on, but no more traction alert or cutting power so far.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Can the comfort module for a 2006 Passat be recoded for a different vehicle (used part), or does it have to be a new part to replace a defective comfort module?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Can the comfort module for a 2006 Passat be recoded for a different vehicle (used part), or does it have to be a new part to replace a defective comfort module?

Yes, you can recode it with VCDS, you need the coding from the original module before installing the replacement.

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/recode_screen.php

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CommieGIR posted:

Yes, you can recode it with VCDS, you need the coding from the original module before installing the replacement.

https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/recode_screen.php

Interesting, thanks. That link doesn't say anything about immobilizer... I'm having a tough time finding the specific generation of immobilizer the car has, looks like it's close to a crossover...

Anyway, I'm getting hosed by the dealer here who won't recode a used module, will only code a new one. loving hate firewalled repairs.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

2007 mk5 GTI, did the brakes and rotors today with Centric vented (front) and blank (rear) rotors, and Akebono ceramic pads which I'm curious to try. Everything was galled together really badly and I had to pry the rotors off, loving broke the rear passenger ABS sensor. Going to look now but I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the hub.

e: oh thank god thank god

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

VelociBacon posted:

2007 mk5 GTI, did the brakes and rotors today with Centric vented (front) and blank (rear) rotors, and Akebono ceramic pads which I'm curious to try. Everything was galled together really badly and I had to pry the rotors off, loving broke the rear passenger ABS sensor. Going to look now but I'm really hoping I don't have to replace the hub.

e: oh thank god thank god

The good news is that even if you did need to replace the hub, it's not that bad. I had to replace one on my brother's 2009 GTI because the rear brake shield had rusted away and the only way to replace it is to pull the hub. :wtc:

Anyway, with enough rust to eliminate the shield's connection to the car, you can imagine the level of rust I was working with, and again, not too bad.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah rear hubs are easy I just replaced one in about 30 mins before a road trip a month ago.

I've been slowly losing brake fluid my dash light keeps coming on about 2 weeks after I top it up.
I finally traced it to one of the rear brake hoses.
It looks like it has cancer. Picked up a replacement one yesterday hopefully it's not too much of a pain to change.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Yeah rear hubs are easy I just replaced one in about 30 mins before a road trip a month ago.

That's good because it looks like I might need to. I replaced the ABS sensor and the warning lights on the dash went away but within 40 feet of driving they all came back on. I bent the sensor ring too when I broke the sensor so I guess bending it roughly back into place wasn't good enough. Looks like I'm buying the hub/ring assembly.

e: and ordered. And an m18 triple square because my kit only goes up to m14 or m12 (whatever the brake carrier bolts are).

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 7, 2019

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey so lately my '13 Audi S4 has been failing to start immediately when I press the start button. It's an intermittent problem - sometimes it starts right away, sometimes it acts like I just pressed the button without depressing the clutch and sometimes it even says "Depress Clutch Pedal Before Starting".

I looked the issue up on audizine and the giant thread on the subject seemed to indicate it was a common problem with an improperly installed aftermarket clutch, which my car doesn't have (stock clutch I'm pretty sure, 80k miles). Or the problem apparently sometimes occurs on a worn stock clutch - but even replacing the clutch sometimes doesn't fix it, the slave and sometimes master cylinder also have to be replaced? Basically a problem where, as the clutch wears it fails to trigger the sensor on the master cylinder telling the car that the clutch is depressed so the ignition can start.

Anyway I really don't want that to be the solution lol - does anyone else have any ideas?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

That's good because it looks like I might need to. I replaced the ABS sensor and the warning lights on the dash went away but within 40 feet of driving they all came back on. I bent the sensor ring too when I broke the sensor so I guess bending it roughly back into place wasn't good enough. Looks like I'm buying the hub/ring assembly.

e: and ordered. And an m18 triple square because my kit only goes up to m14 or m12 (whatever the brake carrier bolts are).

Get a breaker bar if you don't already have one the rear bolts are torqued to 200+ ft/lbs I had to put a cheater pipe on the end of the bar and bounce up and down on it to break them loose.
Also the axle bolts aren't reusable so I hope you ordered a new set of them too.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The clutch switch isn't on the pedal itself?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jamal posted:

The clutch switch isn't on the pedal itself?

Superior German Engineering would not allow anything that simple.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

From reading the thread, the sensor is on the master cylinder and it's made from plastic and doesn't auto adjust? I could be wrong

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

Get a breaker bar if you don't already have one the rear bolts are torqued to 200+ ft/lbs I had to put a cheater pipe on the end of the bar and bounce up and down on it to break them loose.
Also the axle bolts aren't reusable so I hope you ordered a new set of them too.

Yeah I just did my rotors and pads so I had to remove those already. I retorqued everything with anti-seize so I'm expecting it shouldn't be nearly as bad. I'm also doing this with just the VW floor jack so even with the removed wheel under the side of the car beside the jack I was pretty nervous about the amount of force I had to put on those bolts maybe knocking the jack over. Also because this was the rear axle I had to have the e-brake off so yeah I was extra careful.

I didn't realize it was a torque to yield bolt. I'm looking at ordering it but everything I'm finding is an m16 headed bolt, as opposed to the m18 triple square that is factory on the car right now. Is this just an updated part? All the fitment checkers say it should fit but I wish it was an identical part:
Bolt here

e: Just ordered a new bolt and dust cap from a local dealership. Thanks.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 7, 2019

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I ended up having to get them from the dealer too. I tried ordering the ones from ECS Tuning that said they would fit but they were a bit too long.
Get a cheap floor jack and some jack stands so you don't crush yourself.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah I just did my rotors and pads so I had to remove those already. I retorqued everything with anti-seize so I'm expecting it shouldn't be nearly as bad. I'm also doing this with just the VW floor jack so even with the removed wheel under the side of the car beside the jack I was pretty nervous about the amount of force I had to put on those bolts maybe knocking the jack over. Also because this was the rear axle I had to have the e-brake off so yeah I was extra careful.

I didn't realize it was a torque to yield bolt. I'm looking at ordering it but everything I'm finding is an m16 headed bolt, as opposed to the m18 triple square that is factory on the car right now. Is this just an updated part? All the fitment checkers say it should fit but I wish it was an identical part:
Bolt here

e: Just ordered a new bolt and dust cap from a local dealership. Thanks.
Yikes, buy a jack and stands.

BelDin
Jan 29, 2001

flightless greeb posted:

From reading the thread, the sensor is on the master cylinder and it's made from plastic and doesn't auto adjust? I could be wrong

That's surprising. The Audiest way I could imagine it is if it were integrated with the slave cylinder as a $3k sensor assembly.

On a side note, just got the class action notice for the VW water pumps / strainers. Had an independent put in an aftermarket all metal assembly on my CC, and should be able to get $950 back.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Oh it's pretty Audi in that the sensor is integrated and can't be replaced separately.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

they call the floor jack a Widowmaker for a reason duder.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

they call the floor jack a Widowmaker for a reason duder.

I get that but with the wheel directly beside the jack about 2" under the side rails of the car the worst that can happen is I knock the car onto the wheel and do some damage to the car (or wheel). I wouldn't put my head under the car or anything with the VW jack.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I broke my VW jack doing something it wasn't designed for at work, but also learned from it that the nut the lead screw engages and that holds all of the load is made of plastic. :eng99:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

FEA Gone Wild

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

I broke my VW jack doing something it wasn't designed for at work, but also learned from it that the nut the lead screw engages and that holds all of the load is made of plastic. :eng99:

Yeah it's probably a nylon though and probably glass reinforced to some extent. I don't really think that it's the point of failure to be concerned about, I'm more worried about the whole thing rocking over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

VelociBacon posted:

I retorqued everything with anti-seize so I'm expecting it shouldn't be nearly as bad.....

....I didn't realize it was a torque to yield bolt.

May not apply here just keep in mind if the torque spec is for a dry bolt, putting anti-seize will change the force required to get to tension and can result in overtightening.