Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
*edit whoops only just now clicked on the links to the endings

also ive been really impressed with the drawings, i cant remember if it sucked more in the beginning but i feel like the expressions and linework are really good.

Edgar Allan Pwned fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I mean the story ended for the first time but it's like an abrupt bad ending and letting it stew is such a downer man. I guess we can use this time to reflect and meditate about suicide: its impact on individuals, families and society; Japan's cultural tolerance of suicide and the stigmatization of mental illness in all societies.

I'll start. Suicide. Don't do it unless you're a raper or a genocider or something bad like that.

...Yeah I'm going to very pretty pleasingly ask that you please translate one panel of alive Oda because you're responsible for killing my buzz and I want it back. With sugar on top.

edit- and we're living in serious buzz deficient times man

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 11, 2019

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

CJacobs posted:

Our Tohru Tamagotchi is well into his life cycle now!
This made me chuckle out loud. And yes, choice 2

CJacobs posted:

I love that our very first blind choices resulted in three deaths and the protagonist committing suicide. Only goons are capable of this.
Right?

Edit: thread moves fast and I missed a lot. Steak, I’d totally be on board with that but I worry you’re spreading yourself thin. First NEET, then job family friends blah blah blah, then the other threads. But seriously, concentrate on yourself first. Don’t let SA self-imposes obligations get in the way of your well-being.

More neet panels now

best bale fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 11, 2019

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plant MONSTER. posted:

...Yeah I'm going to very pretty pleasingly ask that you please translate one panel of alive Oda because you're responsible for killing my buzz and I want it back. With sugar on top.

okay

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

best bale posted:

Don’t let SA self-imposes obligations get in the way of your well-being.

i mean, this thread was 100% of my income this week, so my well-being surely isn't hampered by you haha.

i just get overly enthusiastic and yeah im already stretched thin because i want to share EVERYTHING im reading, but it turns out theres not realistically enough time to translate everything im reading :/

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Goddamn this ending pulls no punches. Voting 2. Let's rewind and see what might have been...

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mr. Steak posted:

to be honest, i suspect i might be the only person on the planet who thinks this is a remotely good idea, buuut..... i'm highly interested in what the effect would be, of posting an actual, real manga in the same format as neet, that is, a single rectangle of panels per day. ever since neet's gotten really popular in this format, i've been thinking about that for every other manga i've been reading: how would this be received as one panel (or one page?) per day? i mean, in all honesty, if this site was called "something steak" then i'd already be posting something like that for a couple manga haha. because i literally cannot resist sharing stuff that im excited about reading. but alas, this site is not all about me. if only everyone else were as excited about the good mangas i read, as they were about neet ahaha *is dead*

I think this would be a very bad idea as page composition is very much a thing and posting one strip a day would spoil that. Whereas NEET was actually designed around the rectangle-a-day format (and done well, even when it's abused to set up trolly cliffhangers)

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
2 Restart manga. Better to be working on a finished arc when we inevitably hit the usual problem with adaptations: outrunning the source material. Also young whiny useless Tohru is less interesting than old whiny useless Tohru by a mile.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fisting by many posted:

I think this would be a very bad idea as page composition is very much a thing and posting one strip a day would spoil that. Whereas NEET was actually designed around the rectangle-a-day format (and done well, even when it's abused to set up trolly cliffhangers)

yeah i know, which is pretty much the reason i think it's a bad idea too. it certainly wouldn't work for the majority of manga, but even for appropriate ones it would be a hugely experimental thing, but im mostly curious if it would work at all.

like, believe me i feel very strongly about the sanctity of page layout. just look at my Souboutei translation and you'll see i've lately forced all the pages into double-spreads whether the reader wants to or not, because i believe it should be read that way. every manga feels different though. there are many manga i choose to read in single-page mode, and others that i pretty much pretend its a tv show instead of a manga because the story and dialogue are way more important than the layout of the art. plus, there are also formats such as 4-koma that'd actually be really appropriate for a "one strip per day" posting format, but unfortunately there arent really any decent 4-komas around anymore (with the notable exception of gekkan shoujo nozaki-kun, which would actually be a hilarious thread if it wasn't already published in english. btw, you should read nozaki-kun because it's an incredible rom-com).

generally i feel strongly about not changing the format of a visual work like that, but again its just half curiosity of how the format would work, and half me selfishly wanting to foster ongoing engagement for a thing im reading. i mean, even with neet im changing the visual format slightly by posting single panels, and/or incomplete pages. since the original site updates new panels directly underneath the old panels in a given page, with any not-yet-updated panels represented by a long white space at the bottom of a page, any original readers can see the entire context immediately upon reading a new panel. they can also see for themselves how much longer the page will be (which isnt all that important but still). so i already had to make sacrifices to the visual accuracy when i made this thread.

tl;dr really my main motivation is to share my reading experience with others. who knows, maybe i'll decide to start a reaction channel where i'll read jpn manga in front of a camera and film my reaction/live translation in english.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mr. Steak posted:

maybe i'll decide to start a reaction channel where i'll read jpn manga in front of a camera and film my reaction/live translation in english.

Wouldn't you react before you finished translating the page, thus ruining much of the experience for someone who can't read Japanese at your speed?

Also is there something particularly interesting about your reactions (or would there be because of video making/improv skills)?

I know you're not paying me $50 for my thoughts, and I appreciate the translation work you've done here, but unless you're independently wealthy/have tons of savings, you probably need to get your head out of the clouds while you search for your next job.

Best of luck in any case, and I vote for rewriting the manga.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
by the way, if you want to read an excellent manga thats *actually* about picking yourself up from being a useless sack of poo poo and achieving your dreams, pick up the manga Space Brothers. im not sure about the quality of the translation, but the story is incredible. alternately you can check out the anime which is a phenomenal adaptation. the only real reason to skip the anime is if you intend to keep reading beyond it (the manga is ongoing, the anime is not) because the adaptation is essentially flawless. when it comes to manga adaptations, directors should use space brothers as an example.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dirby posted:

Wouldn't you react before you finished translating the page, thus ruining much of the experience for someone who can't read Japanese at your speed?

Also is there something particularly interesting about your reactions (or would there be because of video making/improv skills)?

I know you're not paying me $50 for my thoughts, and I appreciate the translation work you've done here, but unless you're independently wealthy/have tons of savings, you probably need to get your head out of the clouds while you search for your next job.

Best of luck in any case, and I vote for rewriting the manga.

huh? no i just meant as a hobby lol. i'd never expect to make a living on youtube, doing anything.

edit: also, i have an interesting personality, gently caress you! lol

this is getting really off topic for the thread, but i just generally feel a sense of loneliness when i find myself reading/watching something on my own. which is a thing that tends to happen a lot with stuff like manga, haha. ive been trying to find ways to lessen that effect for, like, years. really the only reason i havent made a reaction channel already is lack of resources and a proper space in which to record. my dream aint to make money off of that, the dream would simply be for that channel to exist. cuz simply being in front of a camera feels WAY less lonely

(thats why i started this thread too)

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 11, 2019

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Thank you for making that update. Everyone focus your strength, ideas, thoughts and love to the newly-reborn Oda and Tohru. Creepy bastard men. Horrible men. I'm happy they're alive.

the best manga is dungeon meshi

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mr. Steak posted:

huh? no i just meant as a hobby lol.

Steakneet, i have a job for you

Hanging around train platforms stopping suiciders so you can blackmail them or something, although I must admit I don't understand quite how you blackmail someone with nothing left to lose

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Isn’t going back to a previous choice basically save scumming? I thought we were reading this on hardcore mode.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I am not playing ironman NEET.

I thought it was a bit unfair that our choices were so blind, that "go ahead and publish" equals a dude dying, but I guess that's life.

Or not, in Tohru's case... That ending! I'm so glad I chose D first, that makes it canon in my head. Anything else is just too sad.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the choices are pretty much trolls, yeah. but we get the luxury (read: torture) of only 1 route at a time. lol its fun to remember that the original readers at least had the positive arc going while the other arc turned to poo poo. and theyve also had part timer this whole time too

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I really think doing all of one arc first is better, it emphasises how much Tohru has grown. Plus, there's no way I'd be able to keep a bunch of arcs straight in my head at one panel a day.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Donnerberg posted:

Tohru really is the worst. And I want more crime NEET. Voting 2 early!

also I too picked option D

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Kinda sucks that 3/4 of the options were straight up suicide, each one more violent than the last. Really great comic, but I got whiplash from the shift of tone.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
It's gonna be a lot of work to remake the comic from scratch!

the very next panel:

*4 years later*

Tohru is in the middle of a police chase, having just robbed a bank.

We later learn that it's a plot where he commits crimes so the artist can draw manga stories about them.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Who says crime doesn't pay?

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Steak, one thing I like about this comic is that it's a pretty easy toe-dip into a different culture. I like learning about the banks, the official stamps, the gambling, etc. If it were up to me, and it's not, I would like to read something more like that (normal life I guess) instead of some souped-up stereotypical Japanese manga.
My guess is stuff like that isn't super common though.

But I'm enjoying this, and I don't want it to end :neet:

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

I can't watch anything that mentions the words "self defense" without having the image :neet: pop into my head now.

Thanks Mr. Steak!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

Steak, one thing I like about this comic is that it's a pretty easy toe-dip into a different culture. I like learning about the banks, the official stamps, the gambling, etc. If it were up to me, and it's not, I would like to read something more like that (normal life I guess) instead of some souped-up stereotypical Japanese manga.

There's a whole genre of manga for that! "Slice of life". The downside is that it's 90% schoolkids, because manga.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

dont worry, it'll probably never end. if theres a spiritual sequel (to the thread) years down the line it'll probably be me translating another questionably-drawn and frequently-updating webcomic. which maybe i can do concurrently with then-currently updating daily neet. again thats years from now lol

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Huh. That ending was a bit nuke-it-from-orbit. Very hard to empathise with why Tohru would feel any responsibility for Oda’s death.

(Unless it’s a meta thing and you’re choosing how the manga ends, with the void being that Oda died before he drew the ending.)

hyphz fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Dec 11, 2019

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i didn't get the feeling that he felt "responsible" for oda's death. just that oda was someone tohru connected with, and with oda dead, tohru felt isolated and listless

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, like, he's finally connected with someone and not hosed it up, and finally his life has something good in it, then NOPE, I can see how that'd push him over the edge.

I'm really not an expert on Japanese culture, how is suicide viewed there? Is it more culturally acceptable?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Everyone I grow connected with dies! It's just too bad my parents' deaths were completely unavoidable and could not possibly have been prevented in a situation that arose wholly independent from any of my own decisions!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That's the point, that he'd grown and was becoming less that sort of person.

And to be fair, it didn't exactly take much to make his folks :neet: themselves.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean he did draw a knife and say "I am going to kill you, parents". That probably didn't help. But to continue to be fair I also would rather die than be known as the person who got killed by young punk Tohru.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Man, today I'm really grumpy because I couldn't get any sleep. Instead I just tossed back and forth while thinking about Tohru suiciding. Really didn't expect it to hit that hard.

Thanks a bunch, Mr. Steak! (I really do mean it.)

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Tohru's suicide should have given you sleep like a little baby not the opposite

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lodin posted:

Man, today I'm really grumpy because I couldn't get any sleep. Instead I just tossed back and forth while thinking about Tohru suiciding. Really didn't expect it to hit that hard.

It'd be ironic if you lost your job due to sleeplessness, and became a NEET.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We have witnessed the end of this cursed story. Now we are all fated to become NEETs in one year's time.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

We have witnessed the end of this cursed story. Now we are all fated to become NEETs in one year's time.

what if I'm a neet already

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

You have been visited by the ghost of NEETdom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lofi posted:

Yeah, like, he's finally connected with someone and not hosed it up, and finally his life has something good in it, then NOPE, I can see how that'd push him over the edge.

I'm really not an expert on Japanese culture, how is suicide viewed there? Is it more culturally acceptable?

ever heard of seppuku/harakiri? japanese history is literally bathed in suicide blood. there is very VERY much *not* a social stigma against suicide in japan to NEARLY the extent that there is in the west.

is it a problem? very much so. but a huge aspect of japanese cultural history has been self-sacrifice for the good of the nation, and that idea permeates really strongly into the modern day. people who feel useless to society will think of suicide first