Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Is it a redone version of half life?

Yes. Remade from scratch with new assets to bring it up to graphical/gameplay parity with Half-Life 2 and then some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Is it a redone version of half life?

Yes. Significantly changed (some for better some for worse, the mine cart level has been completely neutered it's lame)

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

The Walrus posted:

Yes. Significantly changed (some for better some for worse, the mine cart level has been completely neutered it's lame)

Luckily the workshop still has the excellent On a Rail Uncut mod which adds new versions of the old maps in, done in a faithful to Black Mesa style. They're sorely needed because the chapter is just hilariously short if you actually look at the distance Gordon travels in the Black Mesa version. There's also the loop restoration mod which adds some of the missing stuff back in from the first map or so.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

There's also Surface Tension Uncut, or did they fix that for the full game?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

Yes. Remade from scratch with new assets to bring it up to graphical/gameplay parity with Half-Life 2 and then some.

Are you aware what year it is sir

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

There's also Surface Tension Uncut, or did they fix that for the full game?

That mod's maps were reworked to be a lot better and added to the full game years ago, yes. The guy who made both mods actually joined the team after that too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vinylshadow posted:

Half-Life Alyx is actually based off a build of Boneworks - they asked Valve if they could turn Boneworks into a Half-Life game, but Valve told them not to, so people wouldn't confuse Boneworks with HLVR

The reason you can interact with props, crouch, and move without teleporting in Alyx is all thanks to Boneworks
Boneworks is made with Unity.

Why would Valve use Unity, if they have their own engine?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Presumably because it has more robust VR support than they've been able to put together for Source. I don't think we actually know what engine HLA is using but most of The Lab was Unity.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

MMF Freeway posted:

Presumably because it has more robust VR support than they've been able to put together for Source. I don't think we actually know what engine HLA is using but most of The Lab was Unity.

HL:A uses Source 2, they are even releasing the Source 2 SDK with it.

https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, Valve released their own headset and has been at VR from the inofficial beginning and before. Why everyone thinks that Source 2 is incapable is interesting. Because that HL:A being based on/sharing code with Boneworks comes up all the time in various places.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know where that Boneworks/Alyx thing comes from. Alyx is built on Source 2, it will come with a new version of Hammer that has VR tools built in. Boneworks is Unity.

It's no secret that there's been a lot of back and forth between Valve and Stress Level Zero but it's not somehow "the same game". Ideas were probably traded back and forth.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't think Source is incapable, but like why would they use Unity for their last VR game?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Vinylshadow posted:

Half-Life Alyx is actually based off a build of Boneworks - they asked Valve if they could turn Boneworks into a Half-Life game, but Valve told them not to, so people wouldn't confuse Boneworks with HLVR

The reason you can interact with props, crouch, and move without teleporting in Alyx is all thanks to Boneworks

Gotta quote this galaxy brain dumb speculation that has no basis in fact other than that it was read off the internet by other galaxy brain dumb people who said stupid things because they noticed some of the visual elements of boneworks are really similar to games in the Half Life universe!

Good for a chuckle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Motherfucker posted:

theres basically zero percent chance this will be better than boneworks

Boneworks is cool but hella janky.

Alyx is gonna be super polished.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Vinylshadow posted:

[Citation needed] ?

Interacting with props isn't that hard? I have a solo game dev project in VR where I interact with objects and.... its pretty trivial.

The IK stuff is complicated but Alyx isn't even doing that stuff...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, Valve released their own headset and has been at VR from the inofficial beginning and before. Why everyone thinks that Source 2 is incapable is interesting. Because that HL:A being based on/sharing code with Boneworks comes up all the time in various places.

People have no concept of what "game engine" actually means if they haven't worked in games

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

It looks like Tyler of VNN made a video yesterday that makes the following claims:

- Boneworks is a secret Half-Life game
- The Boneworks devs originally built it as a Half-Life VR game and pitched it to Valve
- Valve didn't like it and denied their request to make a Half-Life-related game
- Valve still kept it around on their internal master app list and derived lots of ideas from it
- Alyx didn't have non-teleportation travel methods until very recently
- Alyx didn't have much physical manipulation at all until very recently
- Tyler claims the sequence in the Alyx trailer where she moves stuff aside with her hand is only thanks to Boneworks

This is all thanks to "multiple anonymous sources within Valve, talked to over the course of many years".

....yeah, no. I find this very unlikely. Yes, Boneworks clearly takes massive inspiration from the HL aesthetic and looks like a janky Garry's Mod creation in some places, but that's kinda where the comparison ends unless you can get either Valve or Stress Level Zero to confirm that something of the above actually happened. Otherwise it's baseless conjecture. Not gonna link it because I don't like giving that dude attention.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ErrEff posted:

It looks like Tyler of VNN made a video yesterday that makes the following claims:

- Boneworks is a secret Half-Life game
- The Boneworks devs originally built it as a Half-Life VR game and pitched it to Valve
- Valve didn't like it and denied their request to make a Half-Life-related game
- Valve still kept it around on their internal master app list and derived lots of ideas from it
- Alyx didn't have non-teleportation travel methods until very recently
- Alyx didn't have much physical manipulation at all until very recently
- Tyler claims the sequence in the Alyx trailer where she moves stuff aside with her hand is only thanks to Boneworks

This is all thanks to "multiple anonymous sources within Valve, talked to over the course of many years".

....yeah, no. I find this very unlikely. Yes, Boneworks clearly takes massive inspiration from the HL aesthetic and looks like a janky Garry's Mod creation in some places, but that's kinda where the comparison ends unless you can get either Valve or Stress Level Zero to confirm that something of the above actually happened. Otherwise it's baseless conjecture. Not gonna link it because I don't like giving that dude attention.

I would have said this was bullshit unless it was from Tyler. He is actually good at this poo poo and was 100% right with his Alyx leaks. Now I’m starting to rethink things...

It’s true, Valve for a long time pushed advice to developers that you can ONLY do teleportation in VR, until Onward got popular and waves of additional FPS VR games with smooth loco followed.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

rage-saq posted:

I would have said this was bullshit unless it was from Tyler. He is actually good at this poo poo and was 100% right with his Alyx leaks. Now I’m starting to rethink things...

It’s true, Valve for a long time pushed advice to developers that you can ONLY do teleportation in VR, until Onward got popular and waves of additional FPS VR games with smooth loco followed.

A broken clock is still right twice a day, etc. Tyler has been throwing out baseless speculation on everything Valve related for years and just because he finally scored some leaks that turned out to be real doesn't make him credible. Like, I'm glad somebody is still passionate about Valve and he has a lot of enthusiasm but holy poo poo he needs to tone down the speculation treated as "revolutionary, game changing stuff. Get ready! Hype hype hype!"

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the stuff on that list was true but the idea that Valve, of all people, didn't have physical object manipulation in VR until "very recently" is absolutely insane.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

VNN released like 5 ten minute videos a week on HL3 leaks when there was no news to report forever.

At this point VNN kind of HAS to be right about a lot of stuff because they’ve been speculating for a decade.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm still baffled at the idea that Valve ever would have considered releasing a AAA VR game with only teleportation, which has got to be such an instantaneously immersion shattering element in a series known for immersion. This is the type of stuff that makes me doubt VR can ever be the "next step."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm still baffled at the idea that Valve ever would have considered releasing a AAA VR game with only teleportation, which has got to be such an instantaneously immersion shattering element in a series known for immersion. This is the type of stuff that makes me doubt VR can ever be the "next step."
I'm confused at this comment. The mere fact that they considered it, before rejecting it, makes you doubt VR can ever be "the next step"?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I could see teleportation only, but "Alyx only added interacting recently" doesn't pass the smell test at ALL.

Why else even make a VR game?

If true this appiles to Alyx like 3 years ago, not "recently"

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
considering the "pick up the can. put it in the trash can" moment from half life 2 I find it impossible to believe that Valve never considered something like the "push the bucket to the right"
moment in the trailer until recently. The gently caress if they ain't been wondering how to implement the next "put it in the trash can" moment for ten or more years.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

What if: you must put it in the trashcan, but the trash will only fit in one three-dimensional orientation under a strict time limit

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sounds like homecoming after-party 1993 and thanks for ruining video games for me forever

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/valvesoftware/status/1205249752868089856

I'd say VNN's theorycrafting became a lot more possible just now.

e: Also what the gently caress I didn't even realize Geoff Keighley's Variety Hour featuring video game advertisements already happened. loving time zones

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 13, 2019

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

How hard do we think VALVETIME will affect Alyx's release? Not sure why I didn't think about that till this anouncement :v:

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I think it's practically a guarantee it'll be delayed at this point. If it had been shown at TGA I would've said it'll probably arrive on time, but since it didn't I'm guessing Valve probably got a bit overambitious with the date thanks to good progress being made. They've only got, what, a week left before the whole company goes on break for the holidays? So they've basically got January and February to work on the game and it needs to be debugged and QA'd and all in that period too.

Since it's digital only and they're the publisher Valve can work right up to the release date, but the only times Valve has ever shipped a game on its original promised release date is when they heavily cut back on things and rushed the game out specifically to prove a point (L4D2) or it was just a non-hyped small scale side game or mostly developed by an external studio. They barely ever hit their targets on full scale titles.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Boneworks is made with Unity.

Why would Valve use Unity, if they have their own engine?

It should not be a surprise to anyone that programs can use multiple libraries, that large frameworks can assemble a great many libraries, and that those libraries can be used by more than one program or be included by more than one large framework.

Unity is a set of tools and a bunch of poo poo that helps push 3D pixels. VR interaction mechanisms need not be so poorly written that they can't adapt to different inputs, outputs, and event loops. Also, they have hundreds if not over a thousand employees so even if Source 2 is a great engine, there's going to be some workflows or tooling integration that just works better with it than Source 2, which has the freedom to work on what matters to Valve. Using Unity is not a dumb idea on the face of it.

As for the question as phrased - it's equally nonsensical as "Mac uses Intel CPUs, so why would MIcrosoft use Mac if they have their own OS?" More directly - you can write a game around some shared code without literally requiring another game using that code to be a mod for that other game.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol and here I was under the assumption that the game was basically complete because of how aggressive their release date was. Oh Valve :allears:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

It should not be a surprise to anyone that programs can use multiple libraries, that large frameworks can assemble a great many libraries, and that those libraries can be used by more than one program or be included by more than one large framework.

Unity is a set of tools and a bunch of poo poo that helps push 3D pixels. VR interaction mechanisms need not be so poorly written that they can't adapt to different inputs, outputs, and event loops. Also, they have hundreds if not over a thousand employees so even if Source 2 is a great engine, there's going to be some workflows or tooling integration that just works better with it than Source 2, which has the freedom to work on what matters to Valve. Using Unity is not a dumb idea on the face of it.

As for the question as phrased - it's equally nonsensical as "Mac uses Intel CPUs, so why would MIcrosoft use Mac if they have their own OS?" More directly - you can write a game around some shared code without literally requiring another game using that code to be a mod for that other game.
Unity is a set of tools to create a game to run on their own engine.

Hammer is a set of tools to create a game to run on Valve's engine.

There is no common ground between the two. Any integration between the two will require a lot of ground work. If you need to do that to "improve workflows", you might as well work to improve your own set of tools to begin with. You can't just mix and match complex systems nilly-willy like loving Lego, just because on the surface they both do the same thing. It's like pretending it takes no effort to get a Windows application running natively on Linux, because both are operating systems. Nevermind that the APIs for doing the quasi same things are entirely different.

The reason why Microsoft can use Macs for a lot of things is a) because they've ported some of their own tools to OSX (or just run by nature of using Electron a lot lately), or b) because some of the applications to create content are available on both platforms.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 13, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They also use entirely different physics engines.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

SCheeseman posted:

They also use entirely different physics engines.
VPhysics is a modified Havok.

EDIT: my bad, VPhysics is Source 1; Source 2 does in fact have a rewritten engine called Rubikon.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unity is a set of tools to create a game to run on their own engine.

Hammer is a set of tools to create a game to run on Valve's engine.
Yeah, pretty much. A little reductive though.

Combat Pretzel posted:

There is no common ground between the two. Any integration between the two will require a lot of ground work.
Much of which has been done by years of work and hardware accelerationm, knowledge transfer, and conventions or de facto standards.

Engines have multiple components to them. Simulation is simulation - it's a lot more adaptable than most people think. I've worked on a project which functioned as a library usable within Unity and Godot, with Unreal as a WIP at the time. The core was complex, but it was abstractable enough to where a lot of logic could be shared and shell out from shims to engine-specific implementations as needed.

Games involve a ton of creative work that doesn't really care what specific piece of software loads it, as long as it supports the textures and shaders and meshes. There's a lot of room for tools to distinguish themselves in quality, but the ultimate output is basically game rules + simulation + rendering.

It's not like controller APIs to support Touch/Knuckles in one game is going to have a completely different conceptual underpinning in another. Different code? Sure, but if you're willing to put up with some abstraction overhead it's nothing some clever state tracking couldn't fix.

Combat Pretzel posted:

If you need to do that to "improve workflows", you might as well work to improve your own set of tools to begin with. You can't just mix and match complex systems nilly-willy like loving Lego, just because on the surface they both do the same thing. It's like pretending it takes no effort to get a Windows application running natively on Linux, because both are operating systems. Nevermind that the APIs for doing the quasi same things are entirely different.
I mean, yes. Mixing systems requires extreme discipline and rigor and basically has to be done deliberately. But if Boneworks wanted to make an interaction system that wasn't deeply and inseparably tied to Unity, it would be very plausible.

Also I've done some amount of Linux-Windows porting in both directions (as well as with Android and macOS), so I know that you don't just cut and paste. Windows put some thought into their error conditions, while any given POSIX libc has bullshit errno's that seem vaguely appropriate and often disagree between supposedly compliant implementations. Wine is a good example of the extreme lengths one can go to in order to adapt one API to the other - a simplification of that would be to create an API that works on both for which you provide the middleware to reconcile the differences.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The reason why Microsoft can use Macs for a lot of things is a) because they've ported some of their own tools to OSX (or just run by nature of using Electron a lot lately), or b) because some of the applications to create content are available on both platforms.
I think you misinterpreted me. Mac computers use Intel CPUs, but that doesn't imply that Microsoft, by also using Intel CPUs, necessarily incoroporate Mac hardware or software. Similarly, The Boneworks game on Unity using their interaction system does not necessarily imply using Unity if they built it such that that system is decoupled from Unity, which is (in general) a very much doable thing.

That is to say: Boneworks (the game) is made with Unity - but if Boneworks (the interaction system) is separable, then "Why would Valve use Unity if they have their own engine" takes for granted that using Boneworks' system requires using the game's engine, which you can't actually assume is true for sure.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDbbTQxeXyE

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
lollin at all that hype for what could've been VR's only good game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So how canon is Opposing Force considered nowadays? Particularly all the Race X stuff.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mordja posted:

So how canon is Opposing Force considered nowadays? Particularly all the Race X stuff.

I thought Op For and Blue Shift we’re both super mega-canon.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mordja posted:

Valve has no canon policy and will freely retcon/contradict things as needed, which makes me very curious as to what HLA will bring to the table

It's as canon as you want it to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Given that it was ridiculously successful and well received IMO it’s as canon as it can be unless otherwise contradicted.

Nobody gives a poo poo about Blue Shift though.