Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

RichterIX posted:

Is Wheels on Meals deadass on there or is it mixing my movies into the lists somehow?

It is totally on there. Pretty impressed with the selection honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Isn’t there an inbuilt YouTube thing that saves web videos to your client? I remember something like that years ago and finding it a nightmare to remove them. Maybe it’s been scrapped since.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn’t there an inbuilt YouTube thing that saves web videos to your client? I remember something like that years ago and finding it a nightmare to remove them. Maybe it’s been scrapped since.

That only works on premium, as far as I know.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Enos Cabell posted:

It is totally on there. Pretty impressed with the selection honestly.

It's got the Redline anime of all things so that's cool

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Holy poo poo I had been looking for Wheels on Meals, I had a hankering to watch it again and haven’t seen it like 25 years.

It’s so goofy and yet badass I love it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

IOwnCalculus posted:

That only works on premium, as far as I know.

Do you have a link? I’d be down to mess with that.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Warbird posted:

Are there any elegant solutions to auto pull in YouTube videos into Plex? I’m thinking I could rig something together with youtubeDL but I don’t see a reason to reinvent the wheel if I missed something. I fly pretty often and while YouTube premium does the trick I could likely get the same for free.

Should be fairly easy with a cron job to youtube-dl a public playlist that you add videos to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Warbird posted:

Do you have a link? I’d be down to mess with that.

I was referring to the YouTube client on Android - if you have YouTube Premium you can download videos to it. I don't think Plex has any specific integration with YouTube.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Here's something I really want from my Plex server: the ability to make my own TV stations. I want to pick the shows that go on the "channel", and it chooses a show at random, but it plays the next episode in the series (e.g. if it played s2e03, the next time it chooses that show it should play s2e04). It could even play 2-part episodes back to back, and I could have my own "adult swim" or something like that.

Does any solution like this exist? I don't really feel like dicking around with making a playlist that I have to remember where I'm at every time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kodi used/has an add on called PseudoTV that does that but plex is pretty closed off now so unless the developers implement it, it won’t happen.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Nocheez posted:

Here's something I really want from my Plex server: the ability to make my own TV stations. I want to pick the shows that go on the "channel", and it chooses a show at random, but it plays the next episode in the series (e.g. if it played s2e03, the next time it chooses that show it should play s2e04). It could even play 2-part episodes back to back, and I could have my own "adult swim" or something like that.

Does any solution like this exist? I don't really feel like dicking around with making a playlist that I have to remember where I'm at every time.

I've been looking for something like this as well. There is a plugin for Kodi called psuedoTV https://pseudotvlive.com/ that does this. Not sure about Plex

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
This is the first I'm hearing about Kodi. Plex is used pretty heavily in our home and when I travel, so I don't want to rock the boat for a silly feature I dreamed up.

Is Kodi worth switching to? Or running both simultaneously? I generally use Chromecast with Plex, and that's a must-have for Kodi but it's not spelled out that it supports it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Kodi was called XBMC up until a few years ago.

It works just like any other media center but you can't steam over the web and have to do tricks to have the libraries synch on multiple devices.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I used XBMC back in the day, cool.

Still, Plex suits my needs almost perfectly at this point. I'll just wait until something better comes down the pipe.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bonzo posted:

It works just like any other media center but you can't steam over the web and have to do tricks to have the libraries synch on multiple devices.

Yeah that's what made me move across to Plex when it looked like it was becoming stable after using XBMC since the XBMP days on the original xbox. It was such a gamechanger. I still have Kodi installed on a firestick and I mess about with addons and stuff, but they're usually pretty messy, break for no reason etc so I don't really miss it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yeah Kodi is terrible for multi-device/multi-user. It doesn't have the separate server and client distinction. Multi-device requires use of an external database server. Though when I last used it there where some early experimentation in using UPNP to accomplish multi-device.

I used to be big into it. But got tired of loving around with a PC hooked up to every TV in the house and the problems that came with it.

Switched to Plex and Rokus and never looked back. Its so much easier, and it just works. I don't miss Kodi at all.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Kodi has superior codec support still, it's considerably better at playing back UHD content on my Shield than the Plex app so I have both installed with PlexKodiConnect to sync the library. Kodi also has some useful PVR functionality which I use for FTA and sports channels.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kodi has 100% better subtitle support too, and yeah, is better equipped to play everything back natively no problem. I like Plex, but its shortcomings—as few as they are—can be super annoying at times.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
My main issues with kodi is that it always seems to be more juddery or jittery compared to plex and I'm never sure why. I can watch the same file on plex and then on kodi and the one on kodi panning shots will not be as smooth. It's weird

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I keep MrMC on my ATV for those rare times where Plex freaks out over whatever codec, or won't render subtitles properly. But Plex gets used 95% of the time if for no other reason that it's a lot simpler for my wife to navigate.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Bonzo posted:

I've been looking for something like this as well. There is a plugin for Kodi called psuedoTV https://pseudotvlive.com/ that does this. Not sure about Plex

Their webpage needs updating. This is where you will find the repo's

https://github.com/Lunatixz/KODI_Addons/tree/master/zips/repository.lunatixz

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

derk posted:

Their webpage needs updating. This is where you will find the repo's

https://github.com/Lunatixz/KODI_Addons/tree/master/zips/repository.lunatixz

Yeah I didn't mention that the Devs seem to drop the project every so often when they get a ton of requests and complaints in the Kodi forums. Sadly, this happens alot.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

In the halcyon days of YouTube circa ~2006-2008 all the videos were saved onto a part of the web browser cache as randomly named .flv files. It was truly the ideal for archivists as one could find plenty of videos even if YouTube had removed it.

YouTube has deleted hundreds of millions of videos and comments (possibly both in the billions at this point).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I may have asked this before, but is there some kind of framework or function for taking an index of shows and basically creating a TV block?

Like say I have whole rips of The Wire, ER, St. Elsewhere and The X-Files. Can something just grab S01E01 off of each and then do S01E02 when I fire it up tomorrow?

Been thinking of making Kids TV blocks for the kids eventually and this would be a fun way to do it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Like a playlist?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Sometimes I miss the TV advertising experience when I’m on Plex. I think it’d be great if they would play you trailers advertising your own content when the app comes on or between shows. And you should be able to tweak the advertising. Like say I wanna get my kids to watch something new. If I try to put it on it’s all “nooo you’re scrolling past those things we’ve seen before lets watch them!!!” The way actual TV solves this problem is by playing ads for new stuff prior to it coming out so the kids get get hyped for it. Would be cool if plex could do the same thing. I’d appreciate “ads” for stuff I’ve put in my watchlist to help get me excited to see the stuff in my watchlist and not forget about it for months and months. And to trick my children.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

I may have asked this before, but is there some kind of framework or function for taking an index of shows and basically creating a TV block?

Like say I have whole rips of The Wire, ER, St. Elsewhere and The X-Files. Can something just grab S01E01 off of each and then do S01E02 when I fire it up tomorrow?

Been thinking of making Kids TV blocks for the kids eventually and this would be a fun way to do it.

Dren posted:

Sometimes I miss the TV advertising experience when I’m on Plex. I think it’d be great if they would play you trailers advertising your own content when the app comes on or between shows. And you should be able to tweak the advertising. Like say I wanna get my kids to watch something new. If I try to put it on it’s all “nooo you’re scrolling past those things we’ve seen before lets watch them!!!” The way actual TV solves this problem is by playing ads for new stuff prior to it coming out so the kids get get hyped for it. Would be cool if plex could do the same thing. I’d appreciate “ads” for stuff I’ve put in my watchlist to help get me excited to see the stuff in my watchlist and not forget about it for months and months. And to trick my children.

kri kri posted:

Like a playlist?

Yeah, use a playlist when you want it to play what you want it to play.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

wolfbiker posted:

Yeah, use a playlist when you want it to play what you want it to play.

playlists don’t do what I want

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

ringu0 posted:

I'm having a weird playback problem with some of my DVD and Blu-ray rips when I cast them to Chromecast Ultra or play in the web player. They look fine, but when I turn on the subtitles the picture becomes garbled:

... I have the latest Plex for Synology on the default settings...

It was hardware acceleration

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

ringu0 posted:

It was hardware acceleration

Known issue - https://forums.plex.tv/t/hardware-transcoding-broken-when-burning-subtitles-apollolake-based-synology-nases/482428/101

Workaround - delete or rename an Intel driver. Alternative workaround - try out their experimental build. Details in that thread.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Decairn posted:

Known issue - https://forums.plex.tv/t/hardware-transcoding-broken-when-burning-subtitles-apollolake-based-synology-nases/482428/101

Workaround - delete or rename an Intel driver. Alternative workaround - try out their experimental build. Details in that thread.

Thank you! Will try at home.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Saw all the ad-supported movies on the home screen last night. Me and the wife were both like "lol dumb" and then we watched most of Wheels on Meals

Violator
May 15, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Saw all the ad-supported movies on the home screen last night. Me and the wife were both like "lol dumb" and then we watched most of Wheels on Meals

Are there ads in them? I haven’t watched on yet but someone here said there wasn’t I thought?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Violator posted:

Are there ads in them? I haven’t watched on yet but someone here said there wasn’t I thought?

There were.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my pc that I’ve been running Plex server on is around 10 or 11 years old. Pretty soon I’ll be done ripping all my DVDs and would like to be rid of that (gigantic) PC.

Is the best small and simple Plex server option like a WD MyCloud Home or is a Shield TV + external hard drive a better option? I don’t want to spend more than maybe $200-250 at the most.

Keep in mind that all of the content is DVD quality.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Mahoning posted:

So my pc that I’ve been running Plex server on is around 10 or 11 years old. Pretty soon I’ll be done ripping all my DVDs and would like to be rid of that (gigantic) PC.

Is the best small and simple Plex server option like a WD MyCloud Home or is a Shield TV + external hard drive a better option? I don’t want to spend more than maybe $200-250 at the most.

Keep in mind that all of the content is DVD quality.

I bought a used Dell mini pc a couple years ago, and it has worked flawlessly as our Plex/HTPC. It's tiny, quiet, and perfect for this.

Here's something similar:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex-9020-Computer-i3-4160T/dp/B07PLML1C6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dell+mini+pc&qid=1576626409&sr=8-3

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Synology DS218+ is right around that price range. I bought one and my long term plan is to transition my plex from my 12 year old server to it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Dren posted:

Synology DS218+ is right around that price range. I bought one and my long term plan is to transition my plex from my 12 year old server to it.

Correct me if I’m wrong but it’s only around that price range because it’s diskless and would require two disk drives on top of the $200+ for the NAS?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Why not just get a $50 Athlon 3000G, a $50 mATX motherboard, a 4GB stick of RAM for $35, and run Linux? It's what I do, since my NAS is an old 32 bit ARM system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I also threw together an extreme budget build for Plex, I ended up going with a Ryzen 3 1200 running headless (though I had to use a discreet GPU for setup). Works great.