Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Memento posted:

The Dutch invaded Suriname in the 1660s and took it over from the British, they traded it back and forth for a couple of hundred years, and they both treated it about as well as you'd expect a colonial power to do so.

Well poo poo, that's as good a reason to dislike some people as anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never not dislike the Dutch or British.

But if you do, for god's sake do not forgive the Belgians.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm actually reading a sci-fi alt history book about a hypothetical Congolese resistance starting in the 1890s. I really really want it to be good but it's merely mediocre so far.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is that a Harry Turtledove novel?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
All 2020 events previously listed on the UFC.com events page are now missing, presumably to make it slightly less obvious that Conor isn't fighting. What a shitshow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kimbo305 posted:

I didn’t follow any of the lead up to the fight — is there any antisocial sentiment in Suriname for Holland?

As a rule of thumb:

If a country is majority white, they're probably racist as gently caress.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mekchu posted:

Is that a Harry Turtledove novel?

No. It's called Everfair. It's by an African woman whose name I can't recall and can't be assed to switch phone windows to Google.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Late to the live show talk, but floor seats are only good if you're going to party and don't want to watch the fights.

Also, small arena shows are pretty bad. Boise didn't have AC in the middle of a 100+ heat wave, and is actually smaller than most of the arenas I used to watch Z-league fights in back in Montana. By the end of 25 minutes of giant dudes flopping sweatily at each other, and without any beer cuz they stopped serving 3 fights from the end of the card, I was ready to go home and never speak of the experience again.

Portland ruled, tho.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

some fan fiction targeted at this forum https://ultimateinsider.substack.com/p/dublin-my-phone-and-naked-mark-coleman

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

quote:

Dave Meltzer works from home in a backroom office that resembles a waste paper recycling facility

See this is far too accurate a detail for a made up story

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/lthomasnews/status/1204971607028125697?s=19

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

There's a card in three days and I feel like no one is talking about it.

edit: And I don't think it's a bad card at all.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The problem is that it's headlined by the most boring fighter with the worst gimmick in UFC history, fighting an also not very exciting fighter.

If I felt as if boycotting it would send a message about covington's bullshit I'd probably not watch it at all, but I'll likely tune in eventually once my other obligations are finished that night.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Speaking of which, Jorge is apparently sick of Colby's poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gamebredfighter/status/1205143644946288640

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

spb posted:

There's a card in three days and I feel like no one is talking about it.

edit: And I don't think it's a bad card at all.

It's been announced for a while and hasn't really had any changes to it since they hijacked the main event, I think a lot of us are just assuming anyone who remotely cares has heard about the fight card with 3 title fights on it.

Aldo looks like he won't make it to the scale.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brut posted:

Aldo looks like he won't make it to the scale.

why how dare you sir. these are the most healthy legs i've seen on a fella in decades

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

The problem is that it's headlined by the most boring fighter with the worst gimmick in UFC history, fighting an also not very exciting fighter.

If I felt as if boycotting it would send a message about covington's bullshit I'd probably not watch it at all, but I'll likely tune in eventually once my other obligations are finished that night.

Yeah that makes sense.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

why how dare you sir. these are the most healthy legs i've seen on a fella in decades

Hey man his legs are so powerful that they still have hair after the chemo treatment.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1205209016663601152

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
This man is going to fight tomorrow.

And allegedly, so is the skeleton standing next to him.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Heroin chic has taken a weird turn

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

This man is going to fight tomorrow.

And allegedly, so is the skeleton standing next to him.

why does jose aldo look like the guy who was hiding in tony ferguson's walls...........

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

why does jose aldo look like the guy who was hiding in tony ferguson's walls...........

i remember when he was young aldo used to sleep on the mats at his gym, living in a nice house with a fireplace must feel like a huge step up. good for him

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Does anyone have pictures of Romero 16~ hours before a weigh in?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Aldo should have gone up to 155 and had fun fights, this is awful.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
He doesn't want fun he wants a title shot and thinks this is his only chance, he was gonna retire.

Also just to be clear, nobody is fighting tomorrow.

edit: I bet there's been talk of a aldo frankie fight for the interim 135 to be later promoted if Cejudo decides to retire or otherwise can't defend.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2019

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's pretty unintuitive that starving yourself into pants for a mid 2000s scene kid is a more common way of trying to reboot your fighting career than trying drastic measures like not cutting 20 pounds, eating a little more and moving up a weight class but the first thing definitely seems more popular.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

If that's what I'm gonna look like if I stop eating fried chicken then get me to the drat popeyes right now

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know it's frowned upon with our forum culture but these are the only threads that have ever made me consistently wish I could "like" posts with how frequently I laugh out loud :kiddo:

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Aldo has trouble against rangy strikers. He's not going to fight in a weight class where everyone is comparatively a rangy striker. Cutting was his best option, albeit probably a bad one.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

beep by grandpa posted:

I know it's frowned upon with our forum culture but these are the only threads that have ever made me consistently wish I could "like" posts with how frequently I laugh out loud :kiddo:

You can rate the thread at the bottom :shrug:

By the way apparently Andre "Dede" Pederneiras is the man responsible for Aldo's cut, one of the Nova Uniao founders. That dude has a 1-1 MMA record in 4 fights, including losing to Pat Miletich and a 15 minute timeout draw against Genki Sudo.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 12, 2019

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Brut posted:

Does anyone have pictures of Romero 16~ hours before a weigh in?
I couldnt find any before weigh in, but here is Romero at UFC 178 weigh ins: (hit 185)

And weighing in for UFC 221 vs Rockhold (hit 187.7)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Brut posted:

You can rate the thread at the bottom :shrug:

By the way apparently Andre "Dede" Pederneiras is the man responsible for Aldo's cut, one of the Nova Uniao founders. That dude has a 1-1 MMA record in 4 fights, including losing to Pat Miletich and a 15 minute timeout draw against Genki Sudo.

A lotta solid coaches were mediocre fighters tho. (I have no idea if Dede is a good coach or not). Guys flame out and realize that they're better at helping other people than themselves.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dede's fight against Miletich was not a terrible performance by the era's standards. He gave the future hall of famer a tough fight. He has been a successful coach.

Nothing But Hate
Oct 7, 2006
When night falls, she covers the world, in impenetrable darkness
Of the three title fights the only one I’m really looking forward to is Holloway/Volkanovski. Hoping Max pulls it off but won’t be mad if Volk wins.

The other two title fights I’ll be rooting for Covington and Nunes respectively. I don’t like Colby but Usman seems like a genuine jackass and Covington is only trying to cosplay one or something?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nothing But Hate posted:

Of the three title fights the only one I’m really looking forward to is Holloway/Volkanovski. Hoping Max pulls it off but won’t be mad if Volk wins.

The other two title fights I’ll be rooting for Covington and Nunes respectively. I don’t like Colby but Usman seems like a genuine jackass and Covington is only trying to cosplay one or something?

Cosplaying racism is still racism.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Also if Colby wins he'll be main eventing more cards, so we'll have to continue to see him. He's not even Jon Fitch exciting.

Colby Covington is Jacob Volkmann with a more expensive haircut.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What makes Usman seem like an rear end in a top hat? I honestly haven't noticed anything mostly because thinking about him mostly draws a blank for me (other than the being good at fighting thing).

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

beep by grandpa posted:

Please :five: the thread if you feel like it's good.

Nothing But Hate posted:

Good username and Covington support combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

CommonShore posted:

Also if Colby wins he'll be main eventing more cards, so we'll have to continue to see him. He's not even Jon Fitch exciting.

Colby Covington is Jacob Volkmann with a more expensive haircut.

he looked really good against lawler. i think the fight is kinda intriguing but it's probably gonna be a long 25 minutes.