Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Kase Im Licht posted:

How does one decide between Hilton and Marriott when picking who to travel with? I have just recently started traveling for work and will probably do 50-60 nights per year. I'll be in some rural areas so Hyatt is probably not a great option and I won't have enough travel to split between programs. Looks like I will be about 2 nights short of Marriott Gold when the year ends. I have a Marriott card right now that gives me a 15 night (only reason I'm even close to gold) head start which would be a tiebreaker, but it's easy enough to apply for a new card. (I'll be 3/24 once January hits so am trying to plan out a grand application spree through the early part of 2020 anyway)

Job is for the federal government. That probably doesn't matter except that I'll usually be staying in mid-range properties, nothing fancy, though sometimes that government rate gets you a surprisingly good price on a nice property. This is also why I don't think IHG is a great idea, because I feel like they're really weak in the higher end of the middle range.

Here’s my take...

Hilton - The most consistent out of all the brands. I know that no matter where I am that if I book a Embassy Suites or Homewood Suites it’s going to be decent. Prices are pretty fair, the phone app with mobile check-in is awesome especially in large locations because who wants to wait even ten minutes to get a hotel key in 2019.

Marriott - Pretty much everywhere but one Westin or even Courtyard might be completely different than the other. They’re kind of scummy in that they are constantly fighting unions and loving over the average guy. I’m also still bitter over the SPG merger.

Hyatt - Excellent quality and they’ve got a ton of boutique hotels that are kind of quirky but interesting and not too expensive.

IHG - Pretty basic and while there high end properties aren’t that nice they’re still pretty drat good. Not many locations.

The only thing I’ve been unable to determine is the whole reward point system. Supposedly IHG and Hyatt give out of the most upgrades, rewards, etc. but the “point” cost of a hotel room is also variable. YMMV. My ideal goal is to hit maximum status with one brand then do the same with another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Has United biz transatlantic been updated recently? I feel unexpectedly comfortable. The lounge was good too despite being in Newark

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If I hit silver for Marriott before the end of the month, does it carry over to 2020 or do I have to start over again come January?

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
You’ll keep the Marriott status until the end of February 2021.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

knox_harrington posted:

Has United biz transatlantic been updated recently? I feel unexpectedly comfortable. The lounge was good too despite being in Newark

polaris, the new product, is supposedly competitive but not universal. you probably got that.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Marriott also has a status challenge, FYI. Stay 16 nights within 3 months and you get Plat.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I ditched Marriott post-merger when their customer service went to poo poo. And then I had someone at a Marriott in NJ key in my rewards number by error and bill my credit card for someone else's stay because I had my CC linked. It took entirely too much effort to get them to engage, and their solution was to have me remove my CC from my rewards account.

gently caress Marriott.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Tank44 posted:

do you guys know when 2019 airline status ends? I am currently United/Star Alliance Gold, and still 9K away from maintaining it for 2020, but have international travel coming at the end of Jan/early Feb. Wondering if flying Jan 31st would still get the gold perks.

With most (including the big 3 US carriers) the qualification period ends at midnight on December 31st, so January travel won't count. Your actual status lasts until January 31st, then you revert to whatever you qualified for the previous status year, assuming it is lower.

If you are very close most will let you "buy up" - you may get an offer sent, or just call them - but that can get expensive.

knox_harrington posted:

The new Polaris hard product has (finally) rolled out to more aircraft after years-long delays, and is pretty decent. It doesn't stack up to what some of the nationalized carriers like Singapore or Qatar are doing, but it's better than what they had. I do most of my flying on UA metal still and appreciate it.

The strange thing for me is I've had two back to back long hauls on Luftstansa (DEL-FRA, FRA-AUS) one a 380 the other a 350 and they were both very nice rides, they've stepped up their game too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The Big Jesus posted:

Marriott also has a status challenge, FYI. Stay 16 nights within 3 months and you get Plat.

Is that automatic or do you have to sign up for it? I’ll blow past that in a little over a month.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

Is that automatic or do you have to sign up for it? I’ll blow past that in a little over a month.

You have to sign up for it; call the customer service line and let them know which challenge you want to sign up for. If you're gonna travel heavy in January call now because I believe the challenge doesn't start until the first day of the month after you've enrolled.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

kimcicle posted:

You have to sign up for it; call the customer service line and let them know which challenge you want to sign up for. If you're gonna travel heavy in January call now because I believe the challenge doesn't start until the first day of the month after you've enrolled.

Report back how many hours this takes.

:colbert:

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

What's everyone's most degenerate mileage run? Currently flying YUL-PHL-LAX-LAS-DFW-IAH instead of YUL-CLT-IAH because I need 4750 EQM by 12/23 to meet my exec plat status challenge. Not proud of it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I deliberately booked a layover in Detroit at the end of last year rather than a direct flight home for that last segment to put me over the finish line. A storm hit and I wound up stuck there for an extra four hours. I learned my lesson.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Anyone here with a 2nd passport? I think I'm at the point where I'm going to need a 2nd one due to visa timing.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

antiga posted:

What's everyone's most degenerate mileage run? Currently flying YUL-PHL-LAX-LAS-DFW-IAH instead of YUL-CLT-IAH because I need 4750 EQM by 12/23 to meet my exec plat status challenge. Not proud of it

Not particularly degenerate by unnecessary connection standards but getting my conference budget at work to pay for MCO-ATL-AMS-TXL in 2018 and TXL-AMS-MCO in 2019 so I could go to 35C3 in Leipzig and incidentally do a bunch of tourist stuff and hit DL Platinum was pretty sweet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

keevo posted:

Anyone here with a 2nd passport? I think I'm at the point where I'm going to need a 2nd one due to visa timing.

My wife does. It’s a bit of a hassle, but them’s the breaks.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

keevo posted:

I renewed a couple years ago and got the one with extra pages. Now that more countries have gone with e-visa's and stopped taking entire pages of your passport for their own stupid thing it's easier to manage (though India still makes it a bureaucratic nightmare to deal with).

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

How do you go about getting the 2nd passport? As far as I can tell I just fill out a renewed passport thing and attach a letter saying I need a 2nd passport? Looks like there are agencies that help you out with this but they seem pretty hit or miss.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ixian posted:

I renewed a couple years ago and got the one with extra pages. Now that more countries have gone with e-visa's and stopped taking entire pages of your passport for their own stupid thing it's easier to manage (though India still makes it a bureaucratic nightmare to deal with).

only real reason is visa fuckery, look at u china and brazil

keevo posted:

How do you go about getting the 2nd passport? As far as I can tell I just fill out a renewed passport thing and attach a letter saying I need a 2nd passport? Looks like there are agencies that help you out with this but they seem pretty hit or miss.

this is the process. i used an expediting service and it was very painless. you may want to be careful about what visas you put together and such. my firm uses CIBT, good service, it's not cheap tho.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Apparently I have flown a little less than 110,000 miles this year.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

only real reason is visa fuckery, look at u china and brazil

this is the process. i used an expediting service and it was very painless. you may want to be careful about what visas you put together and such. my firm uses CIBT, good service, it's not cheap tho.

Brazil's gone the e-visa route, though from what I understand it's a shitshow. The one in my old expired passport is still valid so I just carry both when forced to go there.

Seconding CIBT, they've always done a good job for me. They helped me navigate the Indian business visa which in my experience was the worst loving process in the world - and I have visas for China, Brazil, and Russia.

Then you have New Zealand, which has a government-built mobile app for e-visa applications and approvals that is extremely easy to use and does the work for you. Go figure.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

keevo posted:

GlobalAxs is a good company but expensive.

Ixian posted:

Brazil's gone the e-visa route, though from what I understand it's a shitshow. The one in my old expired passport is still valid so I just carry both when forced to go there.

Then you have New Zealand, which has a government-built mobile app for e-visa applications and approvals that is extremely easy to use and does the work for you. Go figure.

I printed my Brazilian visa at home on my printer and we had no problem. We had a travel party of 7.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Ixian posted:

Any details on the shitshow? I have a visa but I just booked another flight to GRU today and the wife is coming along because supposedly its visa on arrival now.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

antiga posted:

TPA-JFK-NRT-SIN-NRT-MSP-TPA. Got me to Diamond with some rollover for the following year.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Many years ago LAX JFK MIA LAX. Next day 6am LAX JFK MIA LAX

This was on a like $250 fare with no eqm. Flight down to MIA we flew to NC at 18k feet because the turbulence any higher was not safe. It was a paint mixer at 18k. Then out of MIA emergency landing immediate overweight return because we lost (I think) hydraulics. Didn’t get into lax until 430a.

Called AA and told them that because of the emergency landing and 5hr late arrival into LAX I couldn’t go home, making my next trip a trip in vain and I wanted a refund and the eqms. They said no problem and gave them to me. Cleared status without another whole day of suck and $250 back in my pocket.

Edit: I ended up using the status for lounges on my first international work trips so it was totally worth it. I can’t imagine having the time or energy to do it now.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Arzakon posted:

Any details on the shitshow? I have a visa but I just booked another flight to GRU today and the wife is coming along because supposedly its visa on arrival now.

Brazil added Visa-on-arrival this past October and there are a number of countries that don't require a visa at all for up to 90 days (including all EU states) however if your wife is a US citizen (or certain other countries) neither option applies - she'll need a visa and the airline won't let her board without one (unless they are off their game that day).

However the USA and certain other countries can now get an eVisa vs. the old method of sending in your passport to the consulate/embassy nearest you/etc. I had friends do it last year who described the application process online as a bureaucratic nightmare (much like India's eVisa process, which, I cannot say this enough, is loving awful not to mention a flat out cash grab). It may have improved, or could just come down to luck of the draw, dunno.

If your wife is a US citizen I'd definitely re-verify her visa requirements even as a tourist.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Also note that in 2021, US citizens will need an ”I Can’t Believe It’s Not A Visa” to visit the EU in retaliation for the ESTA that the US has been doing for a while.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Apply once, lasts 3 years, pay a fee. Not a huge inconvenience.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sellouts posted:

Apply once, lasts 3 years, pay a fee. Not a huge inconvenience.

Completely unnecessary speed bump that will exist only as retaliation for ICE being a bunch of shitheads. Also it’s easy for you and me but there will be thousands of infrequent traveler vacations that get hosed in half by this.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

Ixian posted:

Brazil added Visa-on-arrival this past October and there are a number of countries that don't require a visa at all for up to 90 days (including all EU states) however if your wife is a US citizen (or certain other countries) neither option applies - she'll need a visa and the airline won't let her board without one (unless they are off their game that day).

I am seeing information on e-visa for US citizens pre-June 2019 but it doesn't look like that is required anymore and we are part of their visa-free program now.

State Dept Website

Random Visa Website: "From June 17, 2019, travelers from the USA, Canada, Australia, and Japan will be able to enter Brazil for periods of up to 90 days without a Brazil eVisa or any other type of travel authorization. Previously, travelers from these 4 countries were required to apply online for an eVisa for Brazil to be able to enter the country."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think you can get a tourist/short term visa through eVisa for Brazil now but I had to get a Vitem V so that was a whole fuckin production, and I don't think that's on eVisa still.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

Completely unnecessary speed bump that will exist only as retaliation for ICE being a bunch of shitheads. Also it’s easy for you and me but there will be thousands of infrequent traveler vacations that get hosed in half by this.

The website doesn't even say how much it costs.

Edit: Google says 7 Euro. :effort:

But yeah, this basically exists as a gotcha to screw over people who don't know. I've had long layovers in Europe on my way to Africa and taken advantage of that to see some stuff. With this, I'd have been stuck in the airport.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 13, 2019

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think you can get a tourist/short term visa through eVisa for Brazil now but I had to get a Vitem V so that was a whole fuckin production, and I don't think that's on eVisa still.

I went to Brazil a couple months ago on a work visa and it was an eVisa. I had someone else take care of that for me so I don't know how much of a hassle it is to get one.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

I am convinced that (as US citizens) we are fine to just show up in Brazil. The e-visa portal for Brazil doesn't even exist anymore and every consulate website has the after June 17th no visa is required language even if some still haven't removed the e-visa instructions right after it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Report back how many hours this takes.

:colbert:

About an hour on hold, but about 3 minutes besides that. Should get gold easy and plat assuming nothing crazy happens with the project. Do the airlines have anything similar?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Midjack posted:

Really tough to feel sorry for a bunch of Americans who assume they can come and go as they please because they’re American. They’re going to publicize this on tickets and what not and it’s not price prohibitive.

It sounds like a similar deal as Australia only it lasts 3x as long and people seem to find their way there just fine.

“hosed in half” loving lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rip in piss Super Shuttle. :angel:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

sellouts posted:

Really tough to feel sorry for a bunch of Americans who assume they can come and go as they please because they’re American. They’re going to publicize this on tickets and what not and it’s not price prohibitive.

It sounds like a similar deal as Australia only it lasts 3x as long and people seem to find their way there just fine.

“hosed in half” loving lol

We are going to Australia in 2 months and I had no idea we needed these, thanks a literal million.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You’re welcome It’s easy and you could literally do it while boarding the aircraft and it’ll be approved by the time you land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm heading to Sydney for NYE next week and my visa was approved in about 30 minutes. The only one easier is New Zealand.

sellouts posted:

You’re welcome It’s easy and you could literally do it while boarding the aircraft and it’ll be approved by the time you land.

I doubt they'd let you board, last time I went they did a passport scan/check to confirm the e-visa was in place. Airlines get stuck with having to fly people back if they get denied entry so most of them are pretty on top of it.