Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Uthor posted:

I settled on that idea.

So did the Penske driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I’m going to sign those papers in about 15 minutes. Been weighing heavy on my mind since my mom brought it up. She finally decided to do it after tearing both rotator cuffs and having to have a couple vertebrate fused due to an injury at work after someone put a 50+ pound box on a shelf and asked her to get it without telling her about the weight as a joke. She grabbed it, fell, and then went to the hospital.
absolutely hilarious prank to pull in a country where everyone's a single serious injury from bankruptcy.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Spaced God posted:

This channel is always good OSHA content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmD5H47ALhk

I enjoy the man shouting "Holy loving poo poo" quite clearly over the wind at terminal velocity

I assume most people are just going to watch the embedded video, so here's the writeup from the video description:

___

*** What happened ***

I don't think dodging a helicopter in freefall was part of this AFF student's ground school 😲

This AFF jump took place during a boogie, which offered heli jumps to fun jumpers at the boogie. As the student was deploying his main, the student and his instructors fell dangerously close to the helicopter as it was climbing to altitude. The main side instructor had some colorful words to say (and maybe some colorful underwear to wash) but everyone landed safely.

*** Why did it happen ***

Inexperienced Pilot

In the video submission it was noted, “A helicopter was brought in for the boogie, piloted by someone unfamiliar with skydive operations.” Evidently this pilot was not experienced with flying jumpers and was not aware of the (common sense) safety considerations which jump pilots should have in mind.

Communication Issues

The submission also notes that, “Communication between pilots and the safety crew was lost during this incident.” It’s difficult to determine whether this means that communication was lost between the pilot dropping jumpers at altitude, the pilot in the helicopter, and/or ground control.

*** How could it be prevented ***

Stricter Procedures

A few experienced jump pilots and ground control personnel were consulted on this video. A myriad of points was brought up.

1. Ground control: During boogies, dropzones should have an “air-boss” on the ground whose sole purpose is coordinating aircraft. If there are only two planes operating, the argument can be made they are able to communicate with one another. However; if there are three or more aircraft, low passes, high pulls, CRW jumps, etc.; there should be someone controlling the chaos.

2. Typically, communication issues should temporarily halt an aircraft’s operations:

-- If communication between the helicopter pilot and the ground was lost, they should not have taken off. And they certainly should not have flown under jump run.

-- If communication between the aircraft pilot and the ground was lost, they should not have dropped their jumpers without permission. (During a boogie with multiple aircraft, most dropzones require pilots to communicate when they are preparing to give the green light.)

3. Airspace plan: Many dropzones institute airspace plans which avoid this type of situation by preventing aircraft from flying through jump run airspace.

Briefings

As noted, the helicopter pilot was inexperienced and that may have contributed to them not knowing what to do in a situation where they lost communications. However proper briefings on topics such as skydiving operations in general, airspace considerations, communications plans, etc., should have remedied their lack of experience.

*** Additional Notes ***

Combat Boots

This is a very minor tangential note. But letting civilian students jump in combat boots – while not a violation of regulation – isn’t ideal. Combat boots are heavy, thick, and can prevent a student from having proper body awareness. They are more difficult to fly and their usage can create bad habits.

___

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

madeintaipei posted:

The whole bit with the kidnapped HHGttG office building is pure gold. The part about the Frogstar Scout Robot, Class C, lol.

Here, have a treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvhYRyE7uAE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

5er posted:

That last screencap there, when he walked the laser over to his hand and talked about it 'yeah sure, it hurts a little I guess', I was pretty much all set with the video. It's not a bad video! But something about that particular moment threw my 'that's quite enough now' switch.

I like the jump cut where everything is the same except the camera has dead spots everywhere.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I liked how the included "safety goggles" did absolutely nothing to stop the laser beam.

Christ this poo poo really needs to be regulated better. The only reason bystanders aren't being constantly blinded is because nobody really understands how trivial it is to get insanely strong lasers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asimo posted:

Christ this poo poo really needs to be regulated better. The only reason bystanders aren't being constantly blinded is because nobody really understands how trivial it is to get insanely strong lasers.

Wait till you hear how easy it is to get directed kinetic energy weapons that fit in a pocket.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 14, 2019

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

I assume most people are just going to watch the embedded video, so here's the writeup from the video description:

___

*** What happened ***

I don't think dodging a helicopter in freefall was part of this AFF student's ground school 😲

This AFF jump took place during a boogie, which offered heli jumps to fun jumpers at the boogie. As the student was deploying his main, the student and his instructors fell dangerously close to the helicopter as it was climbing to altitude. The main side instructor had some colorful words to say (and maybe some colorful underwear to wash) but everyone landed safely.

*** Why did it happen ***

Inexperienced Pilot

In the video submission it was noted, “A helicopter was brought in for the boogie, piloted by someone unfamiliar with skydive operations.” Evidently this pilot was not experienced with flying jumpers and was not aware of the (common sense) safety considerations which jump pilots should have in mind.

Communication Issues

The submission also notes that, “Communication between pilots and the safety crew was lost during this incident.” It’s difficult to determine whether this means that communication was lost between the pilot dropping jumpers at altitude, the pilot in the helicopter, and/or ground control.

*** How could it be prevented ***

Stricter Procedures

A few experienced jump pilots and ground control personnel were consulted on this video. A myriad of points was brought up.

1. Ground control: During boogies, dropzones should have an “air-boss” on the ground whose sole purpose is coordinating aircraft. If there are only two planes operating, the argument can be made they are able to communicate with one another. However; if there are three or more aircraft, low passes, high pulls, CRW jumps, etc.; there should be someone controlling the chaos.

2. Typically, communication issues should temporarily halt an aircraft’s operations:

-- If communication between the helicopter pilot and the ground was lost, they should not have taken off. And they certainly should not have flown under jump run.

-- If communication between the aircraft pilot and the ground was lost, they should not have dropped their jumpers without permission. (During a boogie with multiple aircraft, most dropzones require pilots to communicate when they are preparing to give the green light.)

3. Airspace plan: Many dropzones institute airspace plans which avoid this type of situation by preventing aircraft from flying through jump run airspace.

Briefings

As noted, the helicopter pilot was inexperienced and that may have contributed to them not knowing what to do in a situation where they lost communications. However proper briefings on topics such as skydiving operations in general, airspace considerations, communications plans, etc., should have remedied their lack of experience.

*** Additional Notes ***

Combat Boots

This is a very minor tangential note. But letting civilian students jump in combat boots – while not a violation of regulation – isn’t ideal. Combat boots are heavy, thick, and can prevent a student from having proper body awareness. They are more difficult to fly and their usage can create bad habits.

___

How close were they really? It didn't seem that close but I'm not good at judging distance in the air.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Wait till you hear how easy it is to directed kinetic energy weapons that fit in a pocket.

A goode poste

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

How close were they really? It didn't seem that close but I'm not good at judging distance in the air.

When you’re falling at a hundred miles an hour and don’t notice the lawnmower blades until you’ve zipped past them and it’s obvious the pilot of said blades didn’t notice you either, and thus it’s just blind luck that you missed at all, I’d say it’s “close enough.”

The holy poo poo is both “wow that was close” but also “nobody had any conscious input into the outcome of that situation”

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nocheez posted:

Isn't that cats?

I admit I don't know much about petfuckling.

Nope, dogs. Cats have barbs on their dicks.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

zedprime posted:

The internet is pretty great as a whole. But there's all these pictures of really exotic truck fuckling. Truck fuckling at really impressive angles. Truck fuckling with really unobtainably good looking trucks. Even violent truck fuckling. It's really starting to ruin my truck fuckling experiences in real life because of the shifted expectations.

Two-speed rear helps with that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Asimo posted:

the included "safety goggles" did absolutely nothing

Didn't expect to run into Rainier Wolfcastle itt.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/mki66cn.gifv

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The "well, poo poo" stance is universal

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/gIUg9lY.mp4

you could not pay me any amount of money to touch that poo poo with my bare hands

Kind of reminds me of those delicious fig newtons they ate in Snowpiercer. What is this stuff? Just thickened oil or is their supposed to be like ballisticg el in that thingy?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Kind of reminds me of those delicious fig newtons they ate in Snowpiercer. What is this stuff? Just thickened oil or is their supposed to be like ballisticg el in that thingy?

From the green hue, it might be oil gelled by antifreeze.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Asimo posted:

I liked how the included "safety goggles" did absolutely nothing to stop the laser beam.

Platystemon posted:

Wait till you hear how easy it is to get directed kinetic energy weapons that fit in a pocket.

The difference is that it is not commonly known just how easy it is to permanently blind people (or crowds of people) with high powered chinese lasers (which people also dont realize are illegal). It was a big enough problem when they were just being used to blind aircraft pilots, but now some youtuber is going to make a "prank" video of him shining a laser at random people down the street, or groups of people at a concert or show.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I can't see how that was going to end any other way.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Slanderer posted:

The difference is that it is not commonly known just how easy it is to permanently blind people (or crowds of people) with high powered chinese lasers (which people also dont realize are illegal). It was a big enough problem when they were just being used to blind aircraft pilots, but now some youtuber is going to make a "prank" video of him shining a laser at random people down the street, or groups of people at a concert or show.

Mostly because people just assume that the cheap lasers are whatever color they are. The cheap ones are IR lasers passed through a frequency doubler to get visible light, but some of the IR light still gets through. Our eyes have a blink response to bright visible light, but not invisible light. Add on to the fact that when you shine the light through glass, the IR light bends and bounces differently so you don't realize you're getting blasted with IR light because the green or blue light is going somewhere else. Not to mention when they don't even bother putting an IR filter on so the IR light can add to the power of the laser to do kickin rad balloon pops.

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

5er posted:

That last screencap there, when he walked the laser over to his hand and talked about it 'yeah sure, it hurts a little I guess', I was pretty much all set with the video. It's not a bad video! But something about that particular moment threw my 'that's quite enough now' switch.

Did you notice the part where he said "my goggles do not even block [orange]" while demonstrating his orange 1 million watt laser?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

5er posted:

You gotta watch the whole thing if only for his camera sensor progressively making GBS threads the bed a little harder each time and wondering how his soft meaty optics are holding up in comparison to the silicon

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

shame on an IGA posted:

You gotta watch the whole thing if only for his camera sensor progressively making GBS threads the bed a little harder each time and wondering how his soft meaty optics are holding up in comparison to the silicon

I mean, he's wearing actual, proper safety glasses any time he's on screen and during the orange laser bit he's specifically saying he's not in the room(the laser has a foot pedal to activate it.).

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lurking Haro posted:

From the green hue, it might be oil gelled by antifreeze.

Oil sludge from never being changed mixed with antifreeze from a massively blown head gasket and chronically overheating engine going by the diarrhea jello that was in my sister's idiot husband's old truck.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/v4O4cX7.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/ZralG2c.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/9Xg7Ckq.gifv

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

So if you do this, do you just walk off the job and never come back? That looks expensive.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Agrinja posted:

So if you do this, do you just walk off the job and never come back? That looks expensive.

Walk off the job, get on a (non damaged) plane, move to Bali, Change your name to Gijsbert, learn to speak with a dutch accent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Pff, my dad's got some tools. Just need to hammer that out.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Agrinja posted:

If you work for Boeing, you just put some duct tape over it and self-certify it to hit those deadlines. The rest will sort itself out.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Pff, my dad's got some tools. Just need to hammer that out.

lol that's basically verbatim what my friend said when my other friend we were riding with drove his suburban into the side of a house at one in the morning when we were the ripe ol' age of seventeen

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the rare double ghost ride

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Agrinja posted:

Not just expensive, that's usually where the APU is, so there's a good chance they hit that as well.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://i.imgur.com/XYV4iYO.mp4

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
well at least he didnt already have the gas open.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's definitely a method you could use

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

I mean.... a match? A single match. A lighter.

There's... no. No, now is not the time to overthink this. Only do.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

I've never been more disappointed that a clip doesn't have sound.

scrrrrreeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeee crunch crunch *pop*

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'm genuinely impressed with the moto rider's dismount, with the rear foot stepping off first. If you try it the opposite way, your lead foot quickly becomes your back foot & you end up tripping over your own leg.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

I mean.... a match? A single match. A lighter.

There's... no. No, now is not the time to overthink this. Only do.

even if you haven't got any matches or lighters, that same steel wool trick works with a 9-volt battery. I bet you could do it with an old phone charger and a stripped USB cable and it would be a hundred times safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sagebrush posted:

even if you haven't got any matches or lighters, that same steel wool trick works with a 9-volt battery. I bet you could do it with an old phone charger and a stripped USB cable and it would be a hundred times safer.
Glad I'm not the only one who figured "you know all that's wrong with this is he's using a fork next to the outlet" before "uh, match, lighter, or lighter flint?"

Now you have me imagining wiring that stripped USB power wires down a clothes pin that sparks when you close it after plugging it in.