Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The on ice portion normally sucks. Every one I’ve been to they put you in a group with four other people and tell you to come up with a drill focusing on some skill.

Then you watch a bunch of people who can’t skate or play at all try to demonstrate their drills.

Sometimes they run you through a power skating sequence which is exciting if you haven’t done any of that in 20+ years and aren’t wearing shin pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

a mysterious cloak posted:

loving early teenagers, testing my new coach-hood.

:yikes:

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Well I dropped a bunch of money this weekend on stuff. But now I have perhaps an insane question: what do I wear UNDER my hockey gear? Leggings? Do I need another shirt or can I get away with just a sports bra? How do I keep the socks up? etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Some people wear the bare minimum, some people wear long sleeve compression shirts and leggings. So there's no rules, wear whatever seems like it would be comfortable.

If you don't want to rush out and spend more money, wear whatever you'd use at the gym and use that to educate what you'd prefer long term.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

taco show posted:

Well I dropped a bunch of money this weekend on stuff. But now I have perhaps an insane question: what do I wear UNDER my hockey gear? Leggings? Do I need another shirt or can I get away with just a sports bra? How do I keep the socks up? etc.

If you want to drop more money, they sell base layer stuff. I just wear a Uniqlo Airism shirt on top. Some guys don't wear anything (which is gross) or just wear a regular T-shirt (which I think is also gross), and I know women who do either just a sports bra or some sort of shirt. Hockey companies also sell women-cut baselayer shirts.

For bottoms, personally I'd buy something hockey-specific. They'll have velcro pads that your socks should stick to and keep them up. Again, there are women-specific versions that have a "pelvic protector" if you feel you need one. Alternatively, you could just do leggings and use sock tape to keep everything up and it'd probably be fine.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I hate the feeling of my pads on bare skin, so I wear cooling base-layer stuff. Long-sleeve compression top, loose mesh shorts+cup, and leg compression sleeves. It also helps wick the stink away from your gear and onto stuff that's easily washable.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Your gear is going to stink no matter what. Wear what’s comfortable.

Velcro on your jock to stick the socks to, a line of sock tape at the top around your leg to keep em up too is how I do it.

Sometimes, if I’m cold, I wear a longsleeve under my gear. Sometimes I don’t!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

might gently caress around with a hoodie if I’m playing outside

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I stopped using sock tape, and my shin guards still stay in place just fine. I'm annoyed at all of the sock tape purchases I've made over the past 10 years.

As for underlayer, I just wear calf-height socks and my jock shorts on the bottom and a short-sleeve compression shirt up top. If I wear long sleeves, my elbow guards slide around more often.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

My shin guards are 20 years old I need the tape also I like the feeling of the single line of tape below the knee. Would feel naked without it.

And I got tired of socks falling down in HS after getting hit and flying awkwardly into the boards or whatever so I just started taping em.

I can’t really say anything I do is right or better, it’s just how I do it. I hope everyone else similarly finds their own path. Namaste.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I also do a single line of tape right below the knee. The elastic on my shinguards isn't what it used to be, so it's necessary now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah all the elastic on all my pads is pretty poo poo, but I think my socks are sufficiently tight enough to keep them from moving around too much.

I was tempted to buy a new set during BF, but sales were basically only on clearance items in XS and XXXL.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snug knit socks and no tape, my shins stay put.

Wish I still had my jofa-style shin guards though. The dual strap setup on my current CCM's annoys me, I hate the strap behind the knee. The single strap on the reebok/jofa was way more comfortable and worked just as well.

I may get some nexus 2n shins next year as they seem to be the closest modern equivalent.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Ooops, that was poorly worded :stonklol:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Get a boxer or boxer brief type jock with Velcro sock attachments on the legs. I prefer thinner mesh socks vs the knit variety but the knit last way longer, they just make me sweat more. One strip of tape under the knee. Also from what I've heard, a female cup is a good investment. Just because you don't have dangley man bits doesn't mean it doesn't still hurt/do damage. Most ladies I play with use some form of head wrap to keep their hair in check, usually a bandana. They also used to make women specific helmets which had more room in the back to help with pony tails/hair.

I tend to get very warm playing hockey so I only wear a jock under my gear. I tried cooling compression gear and I felt like I was still overheating every game. Even when I play outside, I don't wear anything extra until it gets below freezing, then I'll likely only add a base layer like a tee shirt or compression shirt. If anything my toes and ears get cold before anything else does. I've played between 0-10°f with only compression pants and top layer and a wrap around my ears. My cage froze to my helmet and was frozen over from my breath.

Your gear is disgusting regardless. Doesn't matter if you use base layer or not as far as cleanliness. Most layers wick moisture ... which goes right into your pads. Wash your gear once in a while and let it fully dry after every skate before putting it back into your bag. Wash your jersey and socks often. Gear every now and then. The people I've played with that take care of their gear always smell less than the people who don't air out their gear or wash it occasionally. A little routine maintenance goes a long way.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
If you have the room, I got one of these and it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's the same as the hockey-branded dryers except less than half the price. Fits all my gear and everything is dry after a three-hour timer. Combined with a couple glove deoderizers and my stuff really doesn't smell much at all.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
on the other hand, when I picked up the girl who would eventually become my wife for our first date my hockey bag had been in the back of my hatchback for a while and my car smelled like it

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

sellouts posted:

also I like the feeling of the single line of tape below the knee. Would feel naked without it.

I can’t really say anything I do is right or better, it’s just how I do it. I hope everyone else similarly finds their own path. Namaste.
All the same for me. The last time I got new shin pads I was like FINALLY NO MORE TAPING MY SHINS ON! Then after like two skates I was like, you know, I kinda feel uncomfortable without that little bit of tape around my knee and I just kept doing it. I tried to get out of the tape game by being one of those skate lace around the shin pads guys but that didn't last. For me, nothing quite does the trick like a little bit of clear around the knee.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
God bless non-league play.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

bewbies posted:

on the other hand, when I picked up the girl who would eventually become my wife for our first date my hockey bag had been in the back of my hatchback for a while and my car smelled like it

I knew my wife was the one when she told me how hot I was when I got off the ice all nasty and sweaty.

Apparently, our league decided to add a shootout if the game ends tied after extra time. Who wants a shootout at 11:30 at night.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Better than a tie. Ties suck. Especially at 11:30.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I couldn’t tell you the record of a team at any point in the past like 3 years, it’s kinda great

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I couldn't tell you but I could look it up, because we're in ASHL and they keep that poo poo in a database forever despite it being far more sane to delete all that.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
I can tell you which seasons we won the division...only after looking at my mug collection.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

I couldn't tell you but I could look it up, because we're in ASHL and they keep that poo poo in a database forever despite it being far more sane to delete all that.

Except if you switch to goal. Then they dump all your skater stats in the trash.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bradf0rd posted:

God bless non-league play.

Control your rebounds you schmuck

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pleads posted:

:yeah:

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

taco show posted:

I usually wear a sleeveless compression shirt under my gear. I like Target's house brand activewear (C9 Champion) as a cheaper alternative to Underarmor or whatever.

As for shorts and the sock dilemma, I think a compression jock is the way to go. They have little velcro tabs that your socks attach to:

For a while I was cheap and used a regular jock with garter straps but honestly the extra money I spent on nice compression shorts is one of the better hockey purchases I've made.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Those are honestly the best route for holding socks. I'm trying to remember the last person who didn't wear compression jock with Velcro but I'm drawing a blank.

Also realizing I got slashed in the hand Monday night and my opposite ring finger knuckle hurts quite a bit.

And I got punched in the face as I skated in for a shot. I was somewhat caught off guard because the defenseman was flat footed, I was skating around him and he takes his hand off his stick and just punches me square in the face. I kept skating and took the puck behind the net. Thankfully it wasn't too hard. I'm used to shoulders, slashes and bumps. Thankfully I wear a cage but that probably have me a concussion.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Leave your socks attached to the velcro for easy getting dressed too. Unders, pants, skates, shin guards, pull socks down over shin guards.

I play in a league that requires neck guards and I have one of the compression shirts with the built in neck guard, highly recommend one of those if you're going to wear a neck guard (which might be a good idea for anyone who's going to spend any time lying on the ground near people who can't stop or change direction easily)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m pretty sure every mesh short or jock has had those for the past 20 years but maybe some cheapo brand skimped out

Still not enough imo and I still put a band of tape

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Required neck guards? Wow I’ve never heard of that.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I only know like one adult that wears a neck guard and I think he might have quit wearing it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Thufir posted:

I only know like one adult that wears a neck guard and I think he might have quit wearing it.

You play with Patrick Laine? Didn't realize we have NHLers in here

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

They stopped required neck guards my first year in bantams. I gotta find the last one I had

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Surprise, the team that wins our league every season won again. They brought champagne to the finals to celebrate another season of being too good for D-League. :toot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can already hear their defense to the commissioner: "b-but we're losing some guys next season and we won't be as good! :qq:"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Surprise, the team that wins our league every season won again. They brought champagne to the finals to celebrate another season of being too good for D-League. :toot:

We've had the same 3 teams (out of 10) in the championship for 4 years straight. Our HD kicks out people from teams in the middle of the pack instead of the top teams just because they have a guy that averages 2 PPG. It's stupid, and what happens when the son of the owner is the HD who doesn't give a poo poo and just looks at stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Bringing back the topic of looking like a fool.......My first time skating with my new team I went onto the ice and fell hard, then got back up and fell hard again...in front of everyone....because I forgot to take one of my soakers off my skate. Got chirped pretty good by the team, lol.

About wearing layers, I have a question for those that have played at the outdoor rink in Winthrop, WA......how cold is it? I usually wear base layer compression hockey stuff, so will that do? More? I don't really wanna wear thicker socks because it will really gently caress with my skating just like when I tried to wear thinner socks...