Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Also what if Spiderman was magic is legit one of the best ideas thats been brought to that table in decades and it was a ton of fun and I hate them for ignoring it considering that it gave us the comic book event that gave us the best superhero movie since blade

you're gonna have to explain what you're talking about here since I have no idea what graphic novel/run this is and what the "best CB movie since blade" is (it's deadpool but he's marvel and you're talking about dc so you're thinking of something else)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
the magic spider-totem stuff led to the spider-verse arc and thus provided the background for Into The Spider-Verse

although there was some influence from the Spider-Men event and even the original Grant Morrison idea for that story (Spider-man meeting a loser Spider-man from another universe - hence Peter B. Parker)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'm so glad I never watched a single episode of Lost. Even when my friends were into it, before the final season was over, I just had a feeling it'd be a waste of time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
You know, Birth of a Nation is a movie that would never get made today

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They remade it a couple years ago.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

the only part of that show i ever saw was alex baldwin demanding they pretape coverage for disasters and they're brainstorming things that could happen and someone says "a tornado hits a handgun factory"

and five minutes later you cut to deniro saying we all remember where we were when that tornado hit the handgun factory

its lib as hell but its also my favorite sitcom of all time

Operation Righteous Cowboy Lightning (the episode you saw) is actually a pretty good example of the topicality and why I'm concerned about how it'll age - the disaster only affecting Mel Gibson's private island will probably be funny for a long time because that's who he is in cultural consciousness, but the extra joke about Jon Gosselin being his houseguest is increasingly more likely to prompt a "who?" as time goes on than actually land

MizPiz posted:

My comment was more of a "libs would cancel the show every week if it was produced today" take. It's just a great contrast to the hypersensitivity to negativity that characterizes the overtly liberal shows airing today, especially since there are a few jokes that were :chloe: when it first aired.

eh

even speaking in generalities, its a network sitcom that was actually funny, it rarely takes when people try to #cancel those for spurious reasons, plus its not like 30 Rock didn't have people trying at the time (or its own share of legit controversies, which did, for example, result in the pretty bad "Idiots Are People Too/Two" two-parter)

the different style can be partially attributed to legit differences in the comedic/cultural zeitgeist, but also (imo) to a greater degree of confidence on the part of the creators - it's hard to think of too many shows that talked as much poo poo about the network airing them as 30 Rock did

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'm so glad I never watched a single episode of Lost. Even when my friends were into it, before the final season was over, I just had a feeling it'd be a waste of time.

similar - I did watch the first season (partway through its airing) on the recommendation of some people and then just noped out completely during the first episode of season 2

LGD has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Dec 17, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can understand liking 30 Rock, Hell I like most of it but - favorite of all time? My dude have you seen Always Sunny? Have you seen Veep?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can understand liking 30 Rock, Hell I like most of it but - favorite of all time? My dude have you seen Always Sunny? Have you seen Veep?

I have, both are excellent of course, and I'm not trying to claim it isn't arbitrary/subjective

I'm essentially basing "favorite" on which sitcom I've been most consistently inclined to put on in the background when I'm cooking or working over the last decade

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Doctor Jeep posted:

you're gonna have to explain what you're talking about here since I have no idea what graphic novel/run this is and what the "best CB movie since blade" is (it's deadpool but he's marvel and you're talking about dc so you're thinking of something else)

No I'm also talking about marvel you fuckin dipshit

And Into the Spider-Verse happened because of the runaway success of Spider-Verse, the comic book event where Spidermen from multiple dimensions teamed up to fight the bad guys from the rhn where Spiderman was magic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the magic spider-totem stuff led to the spider-verse arc and thus provided the background for Into The Spider-Verse

although there was some influence from the Spider-Men event and even the original Grant Morrison idea for that story (Spider-man meeting a loser Spider-man from another universe - hence Peter B. Parker)

Peters middle name is also Benjamin, loser Spidey is our Spidey

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Doomsday Clock, the year long sequel to watchmen that took like three years to come out, ends Wednesday and I'm going to binge the whole thing in a fit of madness and masochism and I'm bringing you all with me

Also the most recent* Dredd story is about Dredd going to Guatemala because the robots did a coup and are running the country and threatening to nuke the world while living under embargo and Dredd has to work with the Humanistas to overthrow the new government

*For me, I'm like two months behind because of the delay in getting the prog here

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

as someone that watched every episode of lost it has the same message as the leftovers in the end, that being your friends and family are all that truly matter. it works better after 3 seasons of leftovers though since the show always had that at its forefront and didn't spend nearly as much time building up a mythos just to disappoint you in the end

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They remade it a couple years ago.

i thought that was a historical slave rebellion piece that just shared the same title as a marketing gimmick

i remember it getting strong oscar buzz before it got metooed this was before the hashtag i think and the director wasnt particularly famous so the guy was probably closer to a scapegoat then rape culture kingpin

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Percelus posted:

as someone that watched every episode of lost it has the same message as the leftovers in the end, that being your friends and family are all that truly matter. it works better after 3 seasons of leftovers though since the show always had that at its forefront and didn't spend nearly as much time building up a mythos just to disappoint you in the end

Yeah that's also reactionary as gently caress. I just got done watching It Comes at Night and didn't really like it because, without spoiling too much, the ending ultimately justifies the "family first, trust nobody" ethos. Like I get they were probably going for some kind of cosmic justice thing, but within the context of the setting it just validates the dad.

Some Guy TT posted:

i thought that was a historical slave rebellion piece that just shared the same title as a marketing gimmick

i remember it getting strong oscar buzz before it got metooed this was before the hashtag i think and the director wasnt particularly famous so the guy was probably closer to a scapegoat then rape culture kingpin

:thejoke:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Peters middle name is also Benjamin, loser Spidey is our Spidey

Peter B Parker was basically Ditko era Spidey; luckless, aloof and selfish.

I watched a video that pointed out Spider-verse is basically the first time Miles Morales has gotten a significant personality and spotlight, since his original comics debut was kind of a mess and the MCU basically ripped everything original about his life for their version of Peter Parker, so Spider-verse had to play up different elements of the character to have him stand out from the various Peters. Having him be more creative and social than geeky Parker makes for a new perspective, as well as his family already being involved on both sides of the law and giving him an existing connection to the superhero/villain world.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

disney picked the absolute worst time to try to screw sony out of their spiderman money given that theyd just figured out that miles morales spiderman is a very bankable idea that could easily outperform peter parker mk 3

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

On the subject of mid 00s shows that went off the rails by the ending is battlestar galactica worth watching if you've had the ending spoiled

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Percelus posted:

wrong

the only thing that truly mattered was how loving dope of a cliffhanger it was for season 1, and then the writers being flailing all over the place without as a cohesive plot/character development laid out, a disinterested cast, and executives who demanded number go even higher

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Peter B Parker was basically Ditko era Spidey; luckless, aloof and selfish.

I watched a video that pointed out Spider-verse is basically the first time Miles Morales has gotten a significant personality and spotlight, since his original comics debut was kind of a mess and the MCU basically ripped everything original about his life for their version of Peter Parker, so Spider-verse had to play up different elements of the character to have him stand out from the various Peters. Having him be more creative and social than geeky Parker makes for a new perspective, as well as his family already being involved on both sides of the law and giving him an existing connection to the superhero/villain world.

Yeah that video is dipshit idiocy for morons hth

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
His comics debut was the furthest thing from a mess, anybody who says that has never opened a comic, all those things they touted as bold and original (minus his creative side) was pulled directly from his debut, the biggest difference is he didn't accidentally kill his uncle with a taser punch in the movie

And mcu Peter is nothing like him wtf

BENGHAZI 2 has issued a correction as of 06:34 on Dec 17, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Mcu Spidey is a mash up of like, ultimate Peter Parker plus Spiderman circa civil war, there's zero miles influence besides that Ganke is in there sorta j guess why do you watch YouTube videos about comics things literally everyone who does them is the stupidest human alive and if I had any idea how I would make my own out of spite

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

On the subject of mid 00s shows that went off the rails by the ending is battlestar galactica worth watching if you've had the ending spoiled

I dunno if it's as funny if you've already been spoiled.

animist
Aug 28, 2018
lukewarm take:

the mandalorian is good

animist has issued a correction as of 10:37 on Dec 17, 2019

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I decided that the end of doomsday clock is going to be TO BE CONTINUED IN THREE JOKERS because that is the worst way it could end

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
So about that Red Son adaptation...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMqrRhSVfBE

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
gently caress off stop making cartoons of good comics that end up being absolute poo poo Jesus Christ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you want to experience Superman red son just loving read red son

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why can't we have a loving original idea just one loving time stop banking on the past and just make a loving thing Jesus Christ you absolute fuckin assholes the dark Knight returns movies are the most ironic goddamn thing ever made fuckin Christ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If we have to adapt things maybe let's not adapt the things that everyone has heard of let's do some weird poo poo like idk adapt oh maybe just as a for instance

*Spins a big wheel covered entirely in British comics*

American Reaper? gently caress this things broken never mind

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

disney picked the absolute worst time to try to screw sony out of their spiderman money given that theyd just figured out that miles morales spiderman is a very bankable idea that could easily outperform peter parker mk 3

Sony will find a way to gently caress that up.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

If we have to adapt things maybe let's not adapt the things that everyone has heard of let's do some weird poo poo like idk adapt oh maybe just as a for instance

*Spins a big wheel covered entirely in British comics*

American Reaper? gently caress this things broken never mind

Vext

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

No j want to see wild British poo poo get adapted so my actual choice is Cradlegrave, a lovecraftian horror story set in a council estate that is as much about the horrors of the inescapable nature of poverty and the crime that it breeds as it is the weird Cthulhu poo poo

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I still enjoyed the ride even after I was spoiled halfway through.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

wait wait let me see if i can guess what it was through half remembered pop culture headlines i saw several years ago

did the whole thing just devolve into a bizarre rapture allegory where the cylons thought they were taking orders from god and maybe they were maybe they werent but the closer the show got to the end the less it actually seemed to matter

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

wait wait let me see if i can guess what it was through half remembered pop culture headlines i saw several years ago

did the whole thing just devolve into a bizarre rapture allegory where the cylons thought they were taking orders from god and maybe they were maybe they werent but the closer the show got to the end the less it actually seemed to matter

also starbuck is jesus and the cylons eventually learned how to make babies with people and then they settled a planet while giving up all their technology and it turns out that this planet was EARTH SO WE WERE THE CYLONS ALLLLL ALONNNNNG

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The apparitions of Baltar and Number 6 turned out to not be delusions but were literal angels sent by God to make sure humans & cylons would kiss & make up.

I thought the Caprica spinoff was better than BSG but it only lasted a single season and it was insanely horny.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 12:24 on Dec 17, 2019

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

speaking of half remembered pop culture headlines i got to the part of breaking bad where gus sets walt and jesse against each other and i find it hilarious how his evil plan was just to give jesse a second cooler job in the hopes it would improve his self esteem issues and make him less of a miserable gently caress up

the evil plan reading appears to rely entirely on assuming that walts analysis of the situation is correct even though hes just being a narcissistic shithead the great irony being that if walt wasnt a narcissistic shithead the evil plan wouldnt work at all

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Some Guy TT posted:

God was real and the cylons were right, except the one bad cylon, who was wrong.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the new star wars ends with hitler youth guy saving hitler's granddaughter from hitler

it's all nazis, all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Anyway, in answer to the original question, yes, Battlestar Galactica is well worth a watch, at least the first two seasons. gently caress da haters.