Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Elentor posted:

I like to imagine someday super vocaloid tech using deep neural networks doing sound synthesis will let you name your characters anything you want and you'll hear the VAs saying it.

Didn't they do that for some PS1 dating games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tokimeki Memorial 2, I think?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MonsieurChoc posted:

No idea, but I imagine that whatever tech they had back then was severely limited compared to the insane stuff we have nowadays.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

We all like to mock Jecht but I think FF8 has a solid contender for biggest piece of poo poo dad in Laguna, who has no real reason whatsoever to throw his son under the bus.

iirc his reason was "i was enslaved and held underground as a forced laborer until i led a revolution, and then by the time we won and i became president, my wife had died and my kids had evaporated, one of which ended up on a ship that actively hides itself from the outside world and the other one changed his name to exactly the sort of thing a broody teenager would call himself and got conscripted into a military academy by his foster home"

which, yknow, not a terrible excuse all things considered

better, at least, than ff13's kaim, whose excuse is i forgot

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 17, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think what drove me up the wall about ffx-2 aside from the % completion was how rng the late game enemies like giant tonberries were. no amount of party set up or max levelling would allow you to kill them reliably. infuriating.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Too bad its Aeris in FFVII

Im not convinced they won't change the story in some way to let her come back. Like she has to die, it's what everyone remembers, but I don't think they can resist the siren call of resurecting her afterwards, no matter how stupid that would be narratively

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There's absolutely no chance Aeris will be resurrected.

However, her twin sister Aerith will be introduced to replace her in the final act.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
They'll add sections where you play as dead Aeris doing things in the lifestream.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

bentacos posted:

They'll add sections where you play as dead Aeris doing things in the lifestream.

Nier Automata-style bullet hell sections where Aeris has to exterminate Jenova cells

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Dr Mario but instead of Mario it's Aerith and instead of germs it's Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

DeadButDelicious posted:

Dr Mario but instead of Mario it's Aerith and instead of germs it's Kadaj, Loz and Yazoo.

I had to think for a minute and decide internally if you made up those names or not.

You didn't, they're the Advent Children Antagonists, right

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You play all the way up to Forgotten City, then you restart the game and play Route B as Aerith which is 95% the same.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I had to think for a minute and decide internally if you made up those names or not.

They are, yeah.

I think we're more likely to get something relating to Angeal, Gackt Genesis or even loving Deepground than those three chucklefucks though.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

morallyobjected posted:

It's kind of amazing, in retrospect, that they wrote the whole script of FFX to never have to refer to Tidus by name

Hahahaha, and then he’s actually canonically pronounced “Teedus”. Which is wrong and bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Aerith will still be playable after she dies she just doesn't appear in cutscenes and has no dialogue. Ancient Force Ghost.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The game pulls out at the end to reveal Cloud is still comatose in the Shinra mansion and he's just dreaming staring at a snow globe of Midgar.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yazoo is particularly dumb because it's the name of a milkshake like drink;

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

NikkolasKing posted:

The way I understand it IF YOU READ THE DATALOGS or something, Hope's dad was kinda whaever about his wife and son being sent to be killed by turtle elephants. I don't remember all the details of what I was told but there is some reason for Hope being mad at his dad. It's just never properly conveyed in the game because it's loving FFXIII.

Same thing for Lightning asking that door to open. Never explained in the game.

Speaking of which, happy ten year anniversary FFXIII. It was a not very good game but not a very bad game, either. It's got good points and bad points. I will not be replaying it for the anniversary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUy04FWIMkE

It's a shame because I do kind of like the core concepts of the main cast but then I remember the pacing, the design, the terrible choice to band half the story and dialogue over three silly sounding sci-fi terms and my will to care drains away. I keep telling myself to consider trying the spin off one of these days.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
They'll go the SEGA Ages Phantasy Star II route to resurrect Aerith and you'll need to have a completed save system file, achievements for every Gold Saucer date, every single Fort Condor battle manually won, and have listened every single unique NPC dialogue up to Temple of the Ancients.

She'll get an extra still slide in the ending acknowledging that she's ostensibly alive but most of the game will pretend like she's just a generic party member.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Hahahaha, and then he’s actually canonically pronounced “Teedus”. Which is wrong and bad.

Ah yes, the brother of marcoose adroomicus, Teedus.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yazoo is particularly dumb because it's the name of a milkshake like drink;

Ugh and they are crap milkshakes too.

Also, I am hoping they'll have a sense of humour and Cloud will have an ancient obsolete rear end flip phone and will refuse to upgrade.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
They'll release DLC that let's you play as Aerith after she dies because that way they can make all of the money instead of just most of it from gullible rubes who have been chasing resurrection rumors for the last two decades.

I'll preorder it if this happens.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Saint Freak posted:

The game pulls out at the end to reveal Cloud is still comatose in the Shinra mansion and he's just dreaming staring at a snow globe of Midgar.

please visit my website www dot cloudsdead dot com

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Relin posted:

i think what drove me up the wall about ffx-2 aside from the % completion was how rng the late game enemies like giant tonberries were. no amount of party set up or max levelling would allow you to kill them reliably. infuriating.

There's zero rng with mega tonberry. Literally all it does is attack the character furthest away, and it has a counter attack it will eventually pull out. You absolutely can reliably beat it with the right strategy, but you're right that even with max levels it can pose a problem. It's a good enemy.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

surprise twist, the new sidequest is to revive zack but only after aeris dies and all his dialog is just the party sidestepping telling him she's dead

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Finished chapter 4 in FFX-2. That was quite linear.

Anyway I agree with the person above about some of the random poo poo enemies can do. There are way too many with gravity attacks, insta-kills, and things that take you to 1 hp which might be the most infuriating thing of all.

I still like the game but I feel like I use tons of potions between fights and that isn't fun.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Finished chapter 4 in FFX-2. That was quite linear.

Anyway I agree with the person above about some of the random poo poo enemies can do. There are way too many with gravity attacks, insta-kills, and things that take you to 1 hp which might be the most infuriating thing of all.

I still like the game but I feel like I use tons of potions between fights and that isn't fun.

It's a sign of a well developed battle system when you can't always coast through everything because of high stats. It evens the playing field and contributes to variety and complexity.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Elentor posted:

I like to imagine someday super vocaloid tech using deep neural networks doing sound synthesis will let you name your characters anything you want and you'll hear the VAs saying it.

Looking forward to the day I can name my FF protagonist this: https://mobile.twitter.com/danikaharrod/status/1196615360620838912

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

It's a sign of a well developed battle system when you can't always coast through everything because of high stats. It evens the playing field and contributes to variety and complexity.

Nah it's bad feels to party wipe during a random battle. It's also super not fun to have to spend an elongated fight spamming potions and Phoenix Downs while barely having any breathing room to do damage.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nah it's bad feels to party wipe during a random battle. It's also super not fun to have to spend an elongated fight spamming potions and Phoenix Downs while barely having any breathing room to do damage.

Changing dresspheres and altering your strategy should make that more manageable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Late to dadchat but I cant believe no one mentioned Shadow as worst dad. He:

- Skips town after his daughter is born
- Never once during the time in the party tells Relm he is her dad
- After saving the world, chooses suicide over having a relationship with his daughter

The only positive thing he does is rescues her from the burning house. Which is a big thing I'll admit.

Funny thing was that the developers had a planned dialogue between him and Strago where he reveals that he's the father.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I kinda wish we lived in a world where FF6 had 20% more dev time and polish.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

gigglefeimer posted:

Changing dresspheres and altering your strategy should make that more manageable.

Please give me an example of a dress sphere combination that avoids gravities and 1 hp attacks and insta-kills.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Dark Knight I'm pretty sure can be immune to insta-death, there's Grids and Equips that give Gravity resist/null/absorb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

seiferguy posted:

Late to dadchat but I cant believe no one mentioned Shadow as worst dad. He:

- Skips town after his daughter is born
- Never once during the time in the party tells Relm he is her dad
- After saving the world, chooses suicide over having a relationship with his daughter

The only positive thing he does is rescues her from the burning house. Which is a big thing I'll admit.

Funny thing was that the developers had a planned dialogue between him and Strago where he reveals that he's the father.

Yeah, but Interceptor is the best surrogate dad so it balances out.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

Please give me an example of a dress sphere combination that avoids gravities and 1 hp attacks and insta-kills.

Just like any other enemy attack in the game, it's about managing them better so that you're not spending all your actions on simply staying alive. You have tons of options at your disposal, so your strategy can consist of any combination of buffs, debuffs, status effects, healing, or just outright offense to take them out before they take you out. And dude, you're hyper specializing the roles you put YRP into - that's literally a self imposed challenge run you're doing right now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I kinda wish we lived in a world where FF6 had 20% more dev time and polish.

or a full 3d action rpg remake?????

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Super No Vacancy posted:

or a full 3d action rpg remake?????

Just brought back memories of the Lufia 2 remake. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Just brought back memories of the Lufia 2 remake. :smithicide:

I didn't know this was released, so I looked up info on it. Yikes. Lufia 2 still holds up as a solid JRPG by the way. The actual Lufia 2, not this anime frankenstein.