Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lmao that must have cost an absolutely fortune, how in the gently caress did nobody notice the multiple tens of thousands of dollars/month going out to Dropbox?

probable answer: it was listed as line item "storage" and nobody questioned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lmao that must have cost an absolutely fortune, how in the gently caress did nobody notice the multiple tens of thousands of dollars/month going out to Dropbox?

boss owns stock in DBX

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Methanar posted:

guys I got it.

free onedrive > middleware arbitrator > s3 API > s3-fuse > mongodb

eventually consistent as gently caress

"The Aristocrats!"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

"cloud services"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
idk maybe it was making enough money for no one major to care, and everyone just took the devs' word that it needs to cost that much?

sounds like the acquired division wasn't exactly filled with the cream of the computer toucher crop

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:psyduck:

redleader posted:

idk maybe it was making enough money for no one major to care, and everyone just took the devs' word that it needs to cost that much?

sounds like the acquired division wasn't exactly filled with the cream of the computer toucher crop

The computer touchers who were tasked with the technical review probably got a runaround about how exactly it worked and just assumed it was actually set up properly, instead of being... whatever you would even call this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Amazon is probably reading this and thinking, "500TB of data transfer every time you run it? How can we turn this into a product?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

redleader posted:

I never would have guessed from the way the writer anonymized them as "insane asylum"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Methanar posted:

I'm legit envisioning someone writing a middleware arbitrator to shard data over arbitrary free-tier storage services.

lol i actually started writing this exact thing a while ago before giving up because :effort:

i was inspired by this thing i remember a guy making a looooong time ago that let you use your gmail account as a filesystem by attaching files to emails that were just saved instead of sent. this was back before google drive existed and the 5G of storage space gmail gave you was absurdly big for a free thing

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

lol i actually started writing this exact thing a while ago before giving up because :effort:

i was inspired by this thing i remember a guy making a looooong time ago that let you use your gmail account as a filesystem by attaching files to emails that were just saved instead of sent. this was back before google drive existed and the 5G of storage space gmail gave you was absurdly big for a free thing

what's that knocking at the Door? could it be? my god, no! it's the undead hand of waffleimages!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Shame Boy posted:

Im pretty sure there is something that implements cloudstorage by saving it as binary or base64 to a Google doc because for some reason these do not count against your drive space

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

open source backup program Duplicity supports round-robining your data across the following backends:

Amazon S3
Backblaze B2
DropBox
ftp
GIO
Google Docs
Google Drive
HSI
Hubic
IMAP
local filesystem
Mega.co
Microsoft Azure
Microsoft Onedrive
par2
Rackspace Cloudfiles
rsync
Skylabel
ssh/scp
SwiftStack
Tahoe-LAFS
WebDAV

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
somewhere in the bowels of abandoned projects, i wrote a fuse file system that used blog comment sites and markov chains to store data. i figured that markov chains and regular internet commenters were indiscernible and that i could store data unencrypted this way

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lol some salesperson at Dropbox is about to have their new year absolutely ruined. good luck hitting YoY growth goals when you lose a 500TB
account in early January.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
re: free tier backends

I remember one that used twitter to shard base64 encoded data

re: reddit post

500TB of data??? PLUS a custom web app that was good/complex enough to be a competitive advantage? it’ll take them months to get off that terrible “platform”, I bet... whoever was responsible for due diligence on the acquisition needs to be fired

into the sun

mystes
May 31, 2006

namlosh posted:

re: free tier backends

I remember one that used twitter to shard base64 encoded data

re: reddit post

500TB of data??? PLUS a custom web app that was good/complex enough to be a competitive advantage? it’ll take them months to get off that terrible “platform”, I bet... whoever was responsible for due diligence on the acquisition needs to be fired

into the sun
It sounded like the were just downloading a docker or VM image from dropbox every time they ran it or something, though, and it's not like dropbox has some sort of magic VM image merge conflict resolution scheme, so I don't see why they can't just cut out the dropbox part immediately?

The crazy part is that 1) they were backing up a 500TB image (possibly containing sensitive information) to docker, and 2) they were downloading it over the internet each time they ran it, but other than it seems like it's not that fundamentally different from how people use docker or whatever normally.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 17, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

somewhere in the bowels of abandoned projects, i wrote a fuse file system that used blog comment sites and markov chains to store data. i figured that markov chains and regular internet commenters were indiscernible and that i could store data unencrypted this way

this comment has been flagged for review

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Sounded more like a bunch of code files, csvs and sqlite. Not containers.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Most of the enormous pirate Plex servers (100+TB) out there are hosted on the cheapest business tier Google drive subscription because folks figured out that Google doesn't actually enforce the storage limits on those subscriptions.

Edit:. There IS a daily upload limit though, and folks shard the data across multiple gsuite accounts to get around that.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 17, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lain Iwakura posted:

I guarantee you've reimplemented the new form of numbers stations

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lol found it:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
i got plex lifetime for half off many years ago. plex kru

mystes
May 31, 2006

El Mero Mero posted:

Lol found it:

When people say that piracy is easier than dealing with the fragmentation of streaming video services now, I'm pretty sure that this flowchart is not what they're envisioning.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Volmarias posted:

I guarantee you've reimplemented the new form of numbers stations

oh probably

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

mystes posted:

When people say that piracy is easier than dealing with the fragmentation of streaming video services now, I'm pretty sure that this flowchart is not what they're envisioning.

people pay pirate sites so the sites can do all the flowchart stuff and the end user just press play in their mobile app

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

if it actually was per month I'm impressed Dropbox managed to charge them that much. even ignoring the 'unlimited' business plans, they've charged 3-10 dollars per TB for the last several years, depending on plan. tens of thousands for 500TB is at least $40 a TB

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lain Iwakura posted:

this rules

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Lol found it:

someone please edit this to be the galaxy brain meme tia

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have plex with local storage and it works fine for me, but i dont pirate anything so maybe thats why that chart is so complicated?

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
that setup is for reselling to like 100+ other people

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
https://twitter.com/svblxyz/status/1206948966442708992

Stolen from a grey thread

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

we've set up a similar thing for our consultants. Provide id or you can't have your password reset.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Perplx posted:

that setup is for reselling to like 100+ other people

reselling pirated stuff you download?

giant-sized-thinking-face

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
... did you not have one of the first CD burners when you were in school and make mad bank of pirated games and music cds?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

infernal machines posted:

... did you not have one of the first CD burners when you were in school and make mad bank of pirated games and music cds?

not to 100 random people lmao

that seems like a lot of people to manage and keep lips shut

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

no, but I copied the gently caress out of that floppy

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

back then you could also throw together a pic programmer for a few dollars in parts and sell playstation mod chips too. flash some code to an 80¢ chip and sell it for $20 ($40 installed)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
buddy, my high school job was working for a place where i installed mod chips and unlooped hu cards for pirated direct tv.

i think technically i was a pc repair technician, but we all knew the score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sniep posted:

reselling pirated stuff you download?

giant-sized-thinking-face

As a sort of pirate netflix, yes. People will pay for that.