Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

socially challenged coins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CampingCarl posted:

what are the point of these? who would you show them to?

i have to imagine the people buying these are the same people who complain about darn kids getting participation trophies. at least the kids participated and didnt buy them.

yet another aspect of america's nonstop paramilitary fantasies. the most common ritual that went with them was that in a bar, someone would slam their metal pog on a counter and anyone who didn't have their coin bought a round for everyone who did. besides their members, units frequently gave them to people they worked with who impressed them or otherwise handed them out as swag. now everyone makes them for everything so everybody can pretend they're tier zero army seal rangers.

we have a culture of these loving things at work and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

is it true that like military generals have an assistant trailing them so the assistant can hand out a coin to everyone the general shakes hands with

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

yet another aspect of america's nonstop paramilitary fantasies. the most common ritual that went with them was that in a bar, someone would slam their metal pog on a counter and anyone who didn't have their coin bought a round for everyone who did. besides their members, units frequently gave them to people they worked with who impressed them or otherwise handed them out as swag. now everyone makes them for everything so everybody can pretend they're tier zero army seal rangers.

we have a culture of these loving things at work and it bugs the poo poo out of me.

well that is dumber than i possibly thought

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Midjack posted:

no way

no loving way

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Boxturret posted:

pogs are eternal

i wish to formally withdraw this post from the post chain as it is insulting to pogs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it true that like military generals have an assistant trailing them so the assistant can hand out a coin to everyone the general shakes hands with

some high grade officers have an adjutant who will do stuff like that. i’m not aware of anyone who passes them out quite that prolifically but there are a few who practically throw them from the five-star weinermobile whenever they visit somewhere.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a traitorous confederate-themed challenge coin is both a hilariously insane object for a us military member fetishizer to own and yet also makes perfect sense

kinda makes me wanna get an ISIS-themed one made in the same spirit

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin
I used to work in defense contracting and ended up with a couple of coins from some colonel or other

I found one earlier this week when cleaning and literally was like "why the hell do I still have this useless thing" and threw it in the garbage

so anyway that's my challenge coin story

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
communist challenge coin is a sock full of quarters

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the only isis-themed challenge coins i can find are the predictable KILL AND MURDER THE ISIS PEOPLE OFFICIAL COIN ones but i did find out that isis minted their own currency for a while which seems perfectly sized for this use:

i also found this one which is very confusing

and this one which shows your militaristic support for your favorite... brand i guess?

also after scrolling down a few pages of google image results for "isis challenge coin" a picture of bitcoins came up, bringing the whole thing full circle

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Improbable Lobster posted:

communist challenge coin is a sock full of quarters

according to gis this is communist challenge coin

because the chinese algorithm that drives the factory that's manufacturing these got confused i guess

e: lmao once again "communist challenge coin" eventually just winds up returning pictures of bitcoins after a little while

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

proof that satoshi invented small metal discs with things on them

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the russians used a defaced ruble

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the first bitcoin picture returned by "communist challenge coin" lead to this not at all fake news article about how wonderful bitcoin ox is and how you should be using it

https://newconomy.media/news/bitcoin-ox-will-transform-coin-trading

quote:

Bitcoin Ox offers great security for an online wallet. Since launch, there have been no reports of security breaches and this is likely to be the case for good. In the world of crypto wallets, there is no two ways of going about it. A vulnerable wallet is simply a sitting duck with lethal hackers and thieves picking their shots. In this sense, it is paramount to have a wallet that prioritizes security. With this, a user can actually get to worry about their next investment rather than the safety of their assets.

The wallet offers remarkable ease of use. Besides, it comes complete with fiat currency conversion rates saving you time. The ability to convert coin into fiat is an underrated aspect of asset management. This is actually pretty high on the interests of a lot of users because the best solutions a lot of times turn out to be some of the simplest.

wow i sure am glad this online wallet comes with no reports of security breaches and safety from lethal hackers

quote:

The wallet is also excellent for asset management. This is because of a unique tailor-made algorithm that makes Bitcoin OX uniquely efficient for the trading process. These algorithms provide reliable information that enables a user to predict changes in market trends more accurately. As such, users have at their disposal a trade hack that is unique to this wallet. This is one feature that you can legitimately say enhances your trading capabilities. Soon, users will be able to export their transaction history and import Electrum standard seed.

"trade hack"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the website for bitcoin ox has a seo-scam blog with some fun insights:

quote:

The opinion of the creator of C++
First of all, Bjarne Stroustrup announced different insights of the language, new ways of development, and types of using. Moreover, he was proud of products and founders using it. Unfortunately, not everything is perfect. Stroustrup said about pity moments. For instance, he believed in damage and disadvantages of implementing C++ in operations which were not born for it. So, he was sad due to Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of Bitcoin, preferred this programming language for Bitcoin`s code and for mining operations. Bjarne Stroustrup added the speech. “When you build a tool, you do not know how it’s going to be used. You try to improve the tool by looking at how it’s being used and when people cut their fingers off to try and stop that from happening, but really, you have no control over how something is used.”

One of the main problems is using a lot of electricity. To tell the truth, too much. “I’m very happy and proud of some of the things C++ is being used at and some other things I wish people wouldn’t do, Bitcoin mining being my favorite example — it uses as much energy as Switzerland and mostly serves criminals” — noticed Stroustrup after all.

In addition, many other leaders agree with this statement. Nowadays, when we fight against pollutions and spending resources, it is awful to move like mining companies. Obviously, the one right solution is imagine how crypto players can cut their expenses.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
that actually is true. the creator of c++ is pissed that the bitcoin source was written in c++. he doesn't like the fact that people are using his invention to destroy the environment

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
maybe he can add features to C++ that will cut off coiners' fingers specifically

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Gonna be hard to fit in "cut off fingers" among all of the "shoot off foot" functionality in C++

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
RIP
100s of
millions
dead due
to bjarne
stroustrup’s
invention,
c++

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
:effort:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

EorayMel posted:

Are these bitcoins? Discuss.

post the $300 coin

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Point/Counterpoint: A tasteful wooden rack is best for challenge coins vs. There’s a trash can right there

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

fins posted:

post the $300 coin

You will have to settle either for the Around The World Pound of Coins Grab Bag

quote:

Annie
Dec 04, 2019
(5 out of 5)
Great assortment of coins

Excellent selection of coins. I looked at many different coin collections on different websites and am glad I chose BUDK.

or the highest priced result for "bit coin" which is this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lutha Mahtin posted:

every three/four star admiral i ever encountered when i was in the navy had an o-4 (major or lt commander depending on branch) whose job was literally keep pockets full of coins and stand behind the gladhanding admiral. they would be required to have a coin ready every time the admiral reached back for one.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
this is like namedropping but with record keeping. I can’t believe it exists.

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

if only they had a blockchain, it would be so much more efficient

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

look if i told you you could give someone a custom coin instead of a raise and theyd like it wouldnt you also carry around a bunch of coins?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Counterpoint: This is literally the purpose of autographs and selfies with celebrities

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Shame Boy posted:

it's hard out here for a conservative brony

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the bartender keeps challenging me with large cardboard coins everytime I go to the bar so I set my glass on it to assert dominance

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you find the coin in your glass then that means you’ve joined the navy

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Shame Boy posted:

the only isis-themed challenge coins i can find are the predictable KILL AND MURDER THE ISIS PEOPLE OFFICIAL COIN ones but i did find out that isis minted their own currency for a while which seems perfectly sized for this use:

and this one which shows your militaristic support for your favorite... brand i guess?

also after scrolling down a few pages of google image results for "isis challenge coin" a picture of bitcoins came up, bringing the whole thing full circle

friend I like your posts so be careful. sa is running too low on posters to have people getting disappeared by black choppers for buying isis currency

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

are those people still around that think that black helicopters are a biomechanical living creature that craves human flesh?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I've never seen this, but there are high ranking military members that give them away. A lot of people collect them from the various units they were in.

A funny experience I did have regarding these stupid loving challenge coins was the battalion commander of the unit I was in at the time telling the dudes in my team and I how he appreciated the hard work we did running an indoc, and how he wants to show us his appreciation by giving us a CUSTOM MADE coin he "rarely gives away." Then this mother fucker pulled a gallon sized zip lock bag full of them out of his desk, and gave each of us one like a piece of Halloween candy.

None of us liked the guy since a few months before this, he said how he thought our community was full of prima donnas, and before the coin hand off he came up with some lame rear end excuse on why he didn't do pt with us, pointing to the ruck he packed for the day as proof he was ready.

The dude was a huge fuckin' loser, and probably invests in bitcoin today.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 20, 2019

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
new business idea: buttchallengecoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

home of challenge butting! if you can okay i don't want to finish that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Azathoth posted:

Counterpoint: This is literally the purpose of autographs and selfies with celebrities

hmm this is supposed to redeem it somehow?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

hmm this is supposed to redeem it somehow?

god no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

elite_garbage_man posted:

None of us liked the guy since a few months before this, he said how he thought our community was full of pre-madonnas,

this is the single greatest eggcorn i have ever seen