Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Brogeoisie posted:

The entire theater burst out laughing when Kylo Ren died after the kiss. Never heard so much laughing at a theater that wasn't a comedy / the Room. This continued into the Chewie medal sequence

Same thing here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I feel sorry for any children who are in these screenings where adults are howling and breaking out in hysterics. I don’t remember people losing their poo poo this badly when Ep. III came out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Some middle schooler’s birthday party behind me went “yooooooo they’re cousins!” and laughed. Nobody else had much of a reaction except the guy next to me who KEPT COUGHING LOUDLY THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE loving MOVIE HOLY HELL

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dishwasher posted:

Nah, you're absolutely right. Rebels is loving great and is unfairly maligned, so totally bad example. G.I. Joe and other similar toy commercials are a much better example good sir. But the point stands: its a definite course correction corporate film to probably double down on what their investment is truly about after TLJ muddled things. Merchandise, toys, broad mass appeal, and digestibility.

Hey, there was that one GI Joe episode that took the piss out of cartoon moralising with Cobra TV and 'pro-social' messaging. (Especially since 'You have to be the same and agree with everyone to get along' being something a lot of shows unironically pushed at the time at the behest of parent groups)

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Got the general idea right!

Ingmar terdman posted:

There will be two ewoks in Derisive Skywalker. Can't wait to quote this in december

edit: one of course is a weirdly well-aged wicket but he has a different hat. probably a chief now. the other will look kinda grittier than we remember ewoks being like that one wookiee in solo. no digital eye blinks

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Onmi posted:

Well, it used to count half-stars, now it doesn't anymore, because of complaints of "Russian Bot Trolls" for low review scores.

Also to be fair this isn't a half star movie. 2/5 sure, but a half star review should be reserved for Kirk Cameron's Christmas movie and the like.

Emphasis on should.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pollyanna posted:

This is why I called it a football game.

Its so loving apt too. :shobon:

RoS feels like a Dark Horse comic. Interesting locales, breakneak pacing, cool tech, vistas and character designs, a quick digestible story arc over 6 to 12 issues (except for the KOTOR comic which was a massive glorious space opera with a great openly Gary Stu), and always an interesting addition and contribution to the Force and its mysteries and lore. I liked their run a lot and the Disney Era fits their style to a Tee. There were holding it down for Star Wars as a visual medium in the post-prequel doldrums and were a cult hit the whole way, so its not shocking Disney took notes.

Still. I like that style and get the vibe. It is a vibe. That's why the Twitter reviews have trouble putting it into words beyond how it made them feel. I get it because I'm kinda swept up in it too and do enjoy us bouncing ideas around with our totally opposite perspectives on the matter. This is an important franchise for me and I'm happy to see it thriving in a form that I still find enjoyable. :cheers:

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Whoops phone issues. Move Along......Move along......

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 21, 2019

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Honestly I will blame the trilogy on JJ. sure rian hosed it all up but the force awakens was basically meaningless mysteries that amounted to nothing.

That is JJ's biggest sin. He wants to make mysteries but doesn't want to do the hard work of creating them. A good mystery writer starts with the solution and goes backwards, building layers to be worked through.

Insert the old VGCats comic about a headcrab doing a gorgeous wrapping job on a turd. That's JJ. He wraps a gift and only while it is halfway through being unwrapped does he even try to figure out what's in the box. It's hack bullshit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

PJOmega posted:

Insert the old VGCats comic about a headcrab doing a gorgeous wrapping job on a turd. That's JJ. He wraps a gift and only while it is halfway through being unwrapped does he even try to figure out what's in the box. It's hack bullshit.

The only person who has ever done this and gotten away with it is David Lynch.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The only person who has ever done this and gotten away with it is David Lynch.

It can be done if the wrapping is never intended to be opened. Weird Atmospheric Trappings don't need full descriptions, and while those are anathema to star wars (see wookiepedia's insanity) they should've been star wars' strengths. We don't need to know the backstory of these musician dudes, they look alien, cool, and move on with our lives because they're set dressing at the end of the day.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Petition to rename buttchugging to JJing

Seems like an new spin on an old classic at first but eventually just fucks up your end

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Dishwasher posted:

Its so loving apt too. :shobon:

RoS feels like a Dark Horse comic. Interesting locales, breakneak pacing, cool tech, vistas and character designs, a quick digestible story arc over 6 to 12 issues

Thank you for saying this. I feel like someone read Dark Empire and lifted a lot of ideas from that comic.

I also thought that during TLJ when Luke stands in front of all the walkers before they open fire on him.

I groaned a lot during the kiss. It feels so unearned and slap dash. Lots of this movie feels like they had to smash an alternate movie in between to get Kylo to Palaptine in 2 minutes

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Does hyperspace/drive/lane skipping exist elsewhere or was it created whole cloth for this movie/ the inevitable motion simulator attraction?

Either way it felt ridiculously rushed, like it was shoved in by executive fiat.

Wait damnit it was to show that tracking through hyperspace doesn't need any mcguffin wasn't it?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Shaocaholica posted:

The Disneyland SW dance troop better include Palpatine and phasma now.

Just think of how much better the Star Wars would've been if they'd settled all their conflicts with dance numbers

Auralnauts was on to something

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Very disappointed that Palpatine didn’t come back as an Ewok tbh

Then he says "Yub Yub Commander" and activates Wedge's sleeper programming and he kills the Resistance

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 21, 2019

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ruddiger posted:

I feel sorry for any children who are in these screenings

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Pollyanna posted:

Some middle schooler’s birthday party behind me went “yooooooo they’re cousins!” and laughed. Nobody else had much of a reaction except the guy next to me who KEPT COUGHING LOUDLY THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE loving MOVIE HOLY HELL

Two guys near me kept talking through the movie "Wait. What? She's a Palpatine?!" followed by a discussion over whatever was happening on screen. One of them would do excited drum rolls on his lap every couple minutes. 20 minutes in I asked them to stop talking and they mostly did, but c'mon, i shouldn't have to. Sucks being by loud people at the theater.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I wonder what plane Harrison bought with his cameo money

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Petition to retitle the subtitle on this thread:
The Star Wars Spoiler thread: Sheev FUCKS

PJOmega posted:

Does hyperspace/drive/lane skipping exist elsewhere or was it created whole cloth for this movie/ the inevitable motion simulator attraction?
Half and half. No one just activates the drive because then who the hell knows what you'll Holdo your way through.

Disney already announced that environs from TROS would be in Star Tours, btw.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The first 20 minutes don't fit into the act structure in any way shape or form. It's like they took every beat that should have been in episode 2 and tossed them into a "previously on" segment.
Oh my god. This post hits it on the nail. The first bits are literally what JJ's 2nd chapter would have been.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 21, 2019

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hyperspace skipping was the editing style of the movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

PJOmega posted:

Either way it felt ridiculously rushed, like it was shoved in by executive fiat.

Wait damnit it was to show that tracking through hyperspace doesn't need any mcguffin wasn't it?

Yeah a huge part of TLJ was about how the First Order could somehow track ships through Hyperspace. Now some dinky TIE fighters can do it no prob.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the dead speak!

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Horizon Burning posted:

the thing i don't get about wedge, and i think sums up how weird and stupid this ST is, is they made him a falcon turret gunner

if you're going to bring the actor make to do a quick few shots so you can edit him into your bad film, why not put him back into a loving x-wing cockpit? go 110% with the fan service or don't bother

The same reason why someone who's definitive/most powerful line was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9k3zy-Rr8c

Is summoned for an "I am all the Jedi" scene. They just don't care and put random 'member that stuff in random places.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cuntman.net posted:

the dead speak!
The text crawl had a certain bombast and pulp that I enjoyed. It's not great but better than Trade Dispute!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dishwasher posted:

except for the KOTOR comic which was a massive glorious space opera with a great openly Gary Stu

This sounds interesting. Has it been bound as a trade by any chance?

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I pretty sure the movie implied all black babies in the galaxy were made by Lando Calrissian.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Trying to make sense of this and ended up somewhere between seasons 3 and 5 of arrested development

e: but if rey is tacitly adopted by incest ghost twins??? gently caress

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Dishwasher posted:

Nah, you're absolutely right. Rebels is loving great and is unfairly maligned, so totally bad example. G.I. Joe and other similar toy commercials are a much better example good sir. But the point stands: its a definite course correction corporate film to probably double down on what their investment is truly about after TLJ muddled things. Merchandise, toys, broad mass appeal, and digestibility.

First 2.5 seasons. Once the haircut changed, it turned into Clone Wars storytelling again and introduced some more weird poo poo.

It's Resistance that is straight kids show.

But yes, the first season or so of Rebels until, like the finale was basically Resistance level storyltelling, an obvious dumbing down/step back, and I really don't blame anyone for writing it off (I did too and didn't pick it back up until I saw people flying around with spinny lightsabers and watched because I thought that was amazingly hilarious).

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Donald Glover horny is okay but I'm not sure about old Billy Dee horny being okay

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

I think I dozed off during Leia death. How did she die? Was she trying to force FaceTime Kylo but he didn’t pick up and her battery died for good?

This movie had a thing about Force energy that seemed to be playing off of Luke's death. Use all your force energy, you die.

Leia used all her Force energy to contact Kylo in the fight, then died.

However, she somehow forgot to make her body disappear for the next 8 hours or whatever, then she saw Kylo's body disappear and was like "whoops, forgot to do that," and then made hers disappear.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Wait why didn't lando try to gently caress the falcon or say anything about his robosexual lover trapped inside the ship

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PJOmega posted:

In every other Star Wars situation, you have to be completely out of a gravity well to go into hyperspace. One of the ships in the Expanded Universe was an Interdictor Cruiser that could generate an artificial gravity field to yank ships out of hyperspace so they could be attack/boarded in real space. I recall that one of the new Thrawn books (which take place within the Disney canon) used a version of that technology as a plot point.

So yeah, "light speed jumping" was bullshit made up for this movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Darko posted:

This movie had a thing about Force energy that seemed to be playing off of Luke's death. Use all your force energy, you die.

Leia used all her Force energy to contact Kylo in the fight, then died.

However, she somehow forgot to make her body disappear for the next 8 hours or whatever, then she saw Kylo's body disappear and was like "whoops, forgot to do that," and then made hers disappear.

I don't think it's like they have 100 Force Points through their life and if they spend it all, they die.
It's just that she's really old and exerting her bond on Kylo was a huge strain on her already failing body.

She disappeared at the same time Ben did because they were still bonded. He died so their Force energy could move on.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

This sounds interesting. Has it been bound as a trade by any chance?

It has! But only in a collection of smaller ones. But its pricey. Its available at all the major and minor places online you would go to read comics. Its worth reading. The Gary Stu even uses a yellow lightsaber, which is hilarious as gently caress now.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
IMAGINE deciding to use hosed up CGI reanimation to have Leia in the movie. It must have been a corporate mandate or something. Remember when they specifically said they wouldn't CGI her? Or am I crazy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Abrams mystery!!!!

My mystery there was... why didn't someone shoot either Rey or Kylo? Finn was right there. SHOOT KYLO REN.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm jealous of those of you that saw the movie with fun crowds. My theater was full of jedi robed mouth breathers that clapped and cheered throughout the movie.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

One last look at the hashtag, and all it does now is remind me that 63 million people voted for Trump.

Theres virtually zero difference between people who voted for trump and people who enjoyed tros

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

In the end the last legacy of anakin skywalker is buried in the thing he hates the most: sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

weekly font posted:

In the end the last legacy of anakin skywalker is buried in the thing he hates the most: sand.

It’s like poetry, they rhyme.