Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I sure am tired of all these star wars opinions

e: snipe tax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Captain Hygiene posted:

I sure am tired of all these star wars opinions

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

NtotheTC posted:

.... how did domino's check that the card was still valid? because you know they did

The great thing is there is no condition for expiration, other than the date

Domino's gotta sling for errbody who's holding

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching Star Wars: A New Hope on Disney+ with my sister & her husband, and I think I've fallen out of love with the series.

Merry Christmas, you filthy animals.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

JoelJoel posted:

What do you guys think about star wars?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Wow, they're making knock off Obvious Plant toys now!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
The whole "light speed skipping" scene was aggravating, because the previous movie showed that doing that basically turned the ship in question into a really big kinetic weapon.

There was a whole climactic martyr's sacrifice and everything.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The whole "light speed skipping" scene was aggravating, because the previous movie showed that doing that basically turned the ship in question into a really big kinetic weapon.

There was a whole climactic martyr's sacrifice and everything.

My main complaint is probably that the new movie almost aggressively writes off a lot of the previous one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bike tory posted:

My main complaint is probably that the new movie almost aggressively writes off a lot of the previous one.

It does it vindictively so. I swear you can just about hear J.J. Abrams screaming "NUH-UHHH" like a petulant child as he rolls it all back with a vengeance. Especially the "You are nobody" parts.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

bike tory posted:

This is one of the best things about the movie.

I'd also like them to go back and do a remake of Last Jedi within the next year or so, but is mostly different. Has anyone made an Intraquel before?

Edit:

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

bike tory posted:

I agree that it does this but I actually liked that it did that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DisposableHero posted:

I agree that it does this but I actually liked that it did that.

The Last Jedi has problems, but a lot of what it was doing right was Rian Jonhson going "stop repeating the original trilogy, you idiot" and trying to push things in a direction that didn't just retread old films. And J.J Abrams just blatantly doubled down on it, with Rise of the Skywalker trying to retcon everything back as hamfistedly as possible.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I respect Rian Johnson for being bold enough to force Star Wars into a new story path, but in doing so painted the plot into a corner. Then Disney went back to J.J. Abrams and here we are.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Android Apocalypse posted:

I respect Rian Johnson for being bold enough to force Star Wars into a new story path, but in doing so painted the plot into a corner. Then Disney went back to J.J. Abrams and here we are.

I think the best place to have done this was not in a mainline movie, but instead one of their odd year movies.

And Solo came out far too soon after, and was poisoned by the removal of Lord and Miller. One Star Wars a year is all the market can bear.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Beachcomber posted:

This is one of the best things about the movie.

I'd also like them to go back and do a remake of Last Jedi within the next year or so, but is mostly different. Has anyone made an Intraquel before?

Lion King 1 1/2?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

McPhearson posted:

Lion King 1 1/2?

Which was immeasurably better than tlk 2

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
imagine having gajillions of dollars, knowing full well beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're going to do a trilogy, and then not planning that trilogy out at all before you kick off the first movie

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Last Jedi has problems, but a lot of what it was doing right was Rian Jonhson going "stop repeating the original trilogy, you idiot" and trying to push things in a direction that didn't just retread old films. And J.J Abrams just blatantly doubled down on it, with Rise of the Skywalker trying to retcon everything back as hamfistedly as possible.

This is really not the thread for it but I'll share my opinion on that and leave it be. I didn't think Last Jedi was bad but the good parts of it's story felt like they should have stood on their own in a side story. Last Jedi suffered for the parts where it had to integrate with the main movies. The main movies (in my opinion) suffered for getting the new direction shoehorned in. If we really had my idealized version the new trilogy wouldn't be episodes 7,8 and 9. They'd be their own arc. The original trilogy didn't really ever feel to me like it needed direct extension.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They kind of had to answer what happened to the future of the Jedi, besides 'someone hit Luke with a rock offscreen.'

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lunatic Sledge posted:

imagine having gajillions of dollars, knowing full well beyond a shadow of a doubt that you're going to do a trilogy, and then not planning that trilogy out at all before you kick off the first movie

Dude in the basket is incredibly into this.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dude in the basket is incredibly into this.

Who wouldn't be?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Amy Klobuchar in her younger days

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Y'all know there's at least 5 threads on the forums that exist exclusively for talking about Star Wars, right? Like there's outlets, you don't need to talk about Star Wars and repeat the same complaints people have parroted about TLJ for months in every thread. It's a big, dumb wizard movie, we get it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Hardly painted it into a corner, it was left wide open. But also in typical big budget movies there were production issues and deadlines at play. The first director they found for the movie quit, so Abrams got dragged back in to finish it in less time and with less budget. I get the impression he basically took the second two movies that he had envisaged for the trilogy and squashed them into the single finale we got.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Really respecting and admiring the way Germans are always two steps ahead of the fetish game

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My new Star Wars movie hot take is:

It could have been a bloke in a stormtrooper costume sat in a folding chair in an empty sound stage reading the newspaper for 2 hours, and the exact same people who are praising it would praise it. The exact same people who are condemning it would condemn it. And neither would make any difference.

It's a Star Wars. The people who are going to see it are going to see it no matter what. And no matter how much they hate it, these same people are going to buy most, if not all, of the overpriced merch they can to wear at their second viewing at the cinema. Coz Star Wars nerds are obsessive completists.

So it may or may not be a good film, nerds may or may not be right in their anger. It doesn't matter, as the film has served it's purpose as a funnel into which they can throw their money. Money which I will probably give them next weekend if I go to the cinemas.

Also, it's only a movie, and a new Star Wars movie at that. How bad could it be?

As this is the funny photos thread, have a few pictures.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think this is not out, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.

-Michael Eisner

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Bowsette?

Data Graham posted:

Which was immeasurably better than tlk 2

It was basically Rozencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

bike tory posted:

I think this is not out, right?

Apparently it's out because one of the stumps has come out of the ground,which overrules the bails not falling.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Oh great. Now I'm thirsty for Krampus.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

WHOP

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

cohsae posted:

Apparently it's out because one of the stumps has come out of the ground,which overrules the bails not falling.

seriously cricket makes no loving sense at all

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.

Pick posted:

-Bob Chapek

FTFY.

TK-42-1 posted:

It's basically Who's Line Is It Anyway?, but for sports. Everything's made up, and the points don't matter. Franky, Calvinball is easier to understand.

Also, Calvinball should be an Olympic Event.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Oh, Belgium.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

It's somebody else's problem. More garlic bread?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Beachcomber posted:

It's somebody else's problem. More garlic bread?

These constant references are getting rather depressing. Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and I'm reduced to trading tired in-jokes with you like we're at a Monty Python convention.

I'm not bringing you down, am I?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cricket is very easy to understand. It is a drinking competition, we just have laws about drinking on TV and so have to use cricket as a cover. There are even multiple positions called 'cover' on the field. Not to mention the sillies - point, mid off and mid on - or even cow corner. How on earth do you think this is anything other than people getting drunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

TK-42-1 posted:

It’s not that complicated, its very similar to Baseball.