Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dsmif posted:

Glad to be of help.

I was a bit turned off by the look of ubooquity at first, but you can theme it, including adding folder covers.

It tracks read/unread and lets me stream comics from my desktop, functionality that's been surprisingly hard to find, I don't care as much about looks. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So is Marvel's code redemption thing poo poo, or just me? I did have a self-created problem with it always reporting my login/password was wrong, but that was my ad blocker.

My current problem is just how often it says a code is redeemable. Since I figured out my login issue, I grabbed the last year of issues that I didn't redeem at the time. However, some codes just don't redeem, saying there was "an error redeeming". Some I assumed because those stickers don't always separate cleanly and you have to guess some missing letters. But some of them are clear as day, and they don't redeem. The codes don't expire for months, so I'm not sure if I have another browser plugin interfering. However, I tried it on my iPhone with the same problems.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I always have issues with it, though I haven't had a redemption problem in a while.

I hate that I have to log in every time, btw.

Whenever I had a redemption issue, I had to email their support. They're slow, but eventually fix it.

Is it every issue or just a few random ones?

FYI, I tried getting help for an expired code (bought a book new and shrink wrapped, but that was released a few years back) and they wouldn't make an exception for that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For me it's Deadpool 9, 12, 13, 15, 16. Some of them are legibility problems, but at least one is clear as day but won't redeem. (I also need to redeem #1 which is expired, but I had 2+. I'm hoping if I give them a code for 1 they'll give me that one issue, as that's the only one that wouldn't be a part of my collection. It's like 2 months expired.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

When I had issues, it seemed to come with the same title. Send their support an email. Give them a week to respond.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Now that you said that, I tried again with West Coast Avengers #2 to the end. Not one redeemed! I'm going to try the codes at work tomorrow...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FWIW, I'm running Firefox, DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials, and Adblock Plus when redeeming codes. So, it seems like I can get in while blocking everything I can.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Whoa, apparently my library card gives access to a bunch of free comics now, through RBdigital. They are mostly Marvel and licensed stuff, and seems a year ago is the newest they have but hey it's free.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Comixology have 50% off Marvel code, while having a Black Panther sale that ends today, so if you are fast, you get can them now.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Rincewinds posted:

Comixology have 50% off Marvel code, while having a Black Panther sale that ends today, so if you are fast, you get can them now.

If I had to pick between Priest or Hudlin which run do I go with?

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

TheManWithNoName posted:

Priest's run is one of my favorite things in comics ever.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheManWithNoName posted:

Priest.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TheManWithNoName posted:

Priest. Hudlin's run is awful.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Ended up checking Hoopla first and all the Priest books are on there, can’t beat free.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Hoopla's great; everyone should use it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm a librarian, and I've been a huge Hoopla hype-man for years. I was literally just reading Darwyn Cooke's Graphic Ink and Copra Volume 5 on it.

My public library system only allows four checkouts per month, which isn't a lot, but it's still a fantastic service. How many checkouts are you all allowed on it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My library doesn't have Hoopla and I haven't checked out the services it does have... :-|

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm a librarian, and I've been a huge Hoopla hype-man for years. I was literally just reading Darwyn Cooke's Graphic Ink and Copra Volume 5 on it.

My public library system only allows four checkouts per month, which isn't a lot, but it's still a fantastic service. How many checkouts are you all allowed on it?

I get 5.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I get 8 checkouts, but I have hit a library system-wide checkout limit sometimes where I have to wait until the next day. I always try and look for the fatter omnibus/deluxe/complete collections to max out my page count for the month because sometimes they have multiple versions of a title.

Currently reading Gaiman’s Eternals, Black Panther, Paper Girls, The Boys, Blackbird, Wonder Woman: Year One.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Both Marvel and DC are having buy one, get one sales on comiXology. Codes DCBOGO and MARVELBOGO. :flashfact:

Can't do two codes at once, though. :eng99:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DamianWassel/status/1202301982498684928

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Any recommendations from there?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I enjoyed:
Friendo - augmented reality glasses that will pal around with you so long as you're making decisions related to purchases. These end up with someone poorly equipped to deal with the ego stroking and incidents that result.
Fearscape - What if humanity's latest Chosen One for dealing with a nightmare scenario got swapped out for a plagiarist - how long could the scoundrel keep the sham going? I enjoyed the extended treatment of an unreliable narrator.
Deep Roots - Err, it's been a hot minute so I kind of forgot the plot, but it involves a story that takes place in reality and another in fantasy, and the events of each overlap, and the art is sick.

I'm definitely picking up Heathens and Songs For The Dead in this sale, just based on positive word of mouth.
The first issue of Wasted Space left me cold, but for an open-ended price, yeah I'll pay a few bucks apiece for volumes one and two. People who've stuck with the series keep saying it gets better, so I'll try it again.
I wanted to like Vagrant Queen but the art was just too... unfinished-sketchy for my tastes. Someone change my mind, not like I'm going to let any of these books pass by anyway.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive only read heathen but its good

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Europe goon here and I just moved and sold a ton of physical comics next to moving a ton as well (also books) and I'm thinking 'never again' so I'm going to be making the switch to digital comics and books.

Is there any consensus in here on what's the best quality/price reader or tablet out there? Preferrably a large size one to at least approximate the comics format and maybe also able to do books? I've no idea if ebooks and digital comics play along nice on the same system or if I'm better off with a separate one for bookreading.

Cheers!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use a first-gen iPad Pro for comics and a Kindle for ebooks. The iPad is fantastic, but also big and reading on an LCD gets a bit uncomfortable after awhile.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i have a 10" tablet which i think is about the minimum to read a comic well, esp with 2 page splashes, so id look at something higher than that

my nexus 10 is quite old in tech terms tho, so i cant help with what to actually get tho sorry

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Having had lots of cheap Android tablets and am an Android fanboi, I'm probably going to get an iPad for my next comic tablet. Google has basically given up on the ecosystem. My biggest issue is that they always seem to run like molasses after a short time. They're fine when actually reading, but moving around the app or switching apps takes forever.

Anything that does comics will do ebooks, but not as nice as a Kindle (from what I've heard).

Anything with a "retina" or HD display will look fine, bigger screens are better, but I'm okay with a 7" if it has a high enough resolution.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snapes N Snapes posted:

Europe goon here and I just moved and sold a ton of physical comics next to moving a ton as well (also books) and I'm thinking 'never again' so I'm going to be making the switch to digital comics and books.

Is there any consensus in here on what's the best quality/price reader or tablet out there? Preferrably a large size one to at least approximate the comics format and maybe also able to do books? I've no idea if ebooks and digital comics play along nice on the same system or if I'm better off with a separate one for bookreading.

For comics you will want a full-colour LCD tablet (as in, not an e-ink display). Mine has an 11.6" 1920x1080 display and that works fine; could probably go a bit smaller. I can't really give any advice on software ecosystem because mine's a clunky bespoke setup where the tablet runs SUSE and boots into a browser pointing at an Ubooquity instance on the family server, which works great for me but is probably not a good general recommendation.

You can read ebooks on that too, but the LCD is not as nice for long periods reading text as an e-ink display, and a tablet large enough to read comics on comfortably won't fit well in a pocket or purse. LCDs also generally don't display well in sunlight, and it'll have significantly shorter battery life than an e-ink device. So if you want something good for reading text on, you will probably want a separate e-reader. We have a megathread for those over in IYG, but the main contenders these days are Kindle (Amazon) or Kobo (~everything else).

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Thank you all for the helpful information!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This isn't what you were asking for but if you don't need to read comic pages in full then any smartphone will do. I've been reading issues through Marvel Unlimited and Comixology for years on my phone's and just turn the phone horizontally and scroll down each page. Obviously not the best experience for double-page spreads, though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't do it often, but phone reading is surprisingly doable. I even read comics as full pages if the lettering is large enough. High res goes a long way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, I'm on a Pixel 3 and I can view and read full pages but I typically turn it sideways to scroll down pages not for the lettering but for the art.

Like you said, resolution does matter because my phone screens have gotten bigger and smaller over the years but they've consistently been easier to read comics on because the quality keeps improving.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
180 issues Spawn issues for 15 dollars, or 70 for 1 dollar at Humble Bundle if one is into Todd McFarlane.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/spawn-2020-image-comics-books

I did not realize that Spawn was still ongoing, thought of it as a 90s thing.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 22, 2020

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Is the new Miles Morales Spider-Man written by Saladin any good? I see the first 2 volumes on sales, just wanted a little feedback before I drop a whole $7.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've been enjoying it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

enigmahfc posted:

Is the new Miles Morales Spider-Man written by Saladin any good? I see the first 2 volumes on sales, just wanted a little feedback before I drop a whole $7.

I think it's pretty great.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Can anyone recommend me something out of the Birds of Prey / Harley Quinn sale?

I haven't read much DC, apart from some Vertigo stuff. Anything here I should avoid?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.comixology.com/Harley-Quinn-Breaking-Glass/digital-comic/802478?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Yep. That book rules.

Also, I remember the Kesel/Dodson run being good?