Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should Gaj make his own thread
This poll is closed.
Yes, make a new thread 6 54.55%
No, keep things just how they are 5 45.45%
Total: 11 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I mean she's not wrong that Obama did most of the same poo poo that Trump did, though I doubt she was coming at this from a leftist position of annoyance that so many anti-Trump people are actually just mad about how he says the quiet part loud rather than following decorum and exterminating the undesirables in the more comfortable fashion that the Democrats prefer.

Nah she was saying a bunch of utterly false poo poo like he's trying to put a stop to the concentration camps and otherwise just going on about how he's completely blameless for everything that's going on. I didn't really care to get into the nuances of any of this or otherwise explain that democrats are not the left because I just wanted a gallon of milk and even if I'd had the energy for any of that poo poo it would have made no goddamn difference.

bobjr posted:

Boomers in the office love to talk about their spouse but if someone does the same with their same sex one they'll report it to HR for being too political.

LGBT people and people of color existing is "too political" for a lot of people. Look what happens every time a black woman or LGBT person is in a video game or comic book or a Star War. This kind of melting down isn't specifically a boomer thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Boomers also pull that "youre shoving your Otherness down my throat!!" like they didn't just tell you to check out the rear end on the new intern.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

bobjr posted:

Boomers in the office love to talk about their spouse but if someone does the same with their same sex one they'll report it to HR for being too political.

Couple claims they were driven out of workplace for being 'too gay'

TLDR: A couple worked as paramedics/ fire fighters, coworkers became angry because Lesbians! and because it offended the religion of some coworkers, things became so hostile that they both left.

It's Canadian, but of course it's from Alberta: the province who so desperately wants to be a lovely US state that they emulate the worst aspects of American politics in the most embarrassing ways.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I wasn't kidding when I said 'telling you all about their medical maladies in excruciating detail' in an early page of this thread.

I came home to visit for Christmas, my brother picked me up from the airport, and as soon as I got in, my dad said 'Take a seat, I gotta talk to you.'

So I sat, and he spent about 20 minutes telling me, very detailed, about his current physical ailments, including gout, bursitis, and a wound that was leaking 'juice' because of circulation issues in his bad leg.

Despite telling him 'Yes okay, enough about the juice. Stop calling it juice!' he keeps trying to me about it.

Again I stopped him and said 'So... are you dying or something? Do you need surgery?"

He said 'Nah, just wanted to keep you updated.'

And then proceeded to talk about how lovely vegetarian food is, because his doctor said he had to lay off meat.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
gout. he has gout. WTF

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

gout. he has gout. WTF

maybe there's some common ground between boomers and goons after all

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

a condition caused by eating too much red meat and cheese seems like a pretty boomer malady

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Professor Shark posted:

Couple claims they were driven out of workplace for being 'too gay'

TLDR: A couple worked as paramedics/ fire fighters, coworkers became angry because Lesbians! and because it offended the religion of some coworkers, things became so hostile that they both left.

It's Canadian, but of course it's from Alberta: the province who so desperately wants to be a lovely US state that they emulate the worst aspects of American politics in the most embarrassing ways.

Lmao on that loving subject, from a few years back, an oil sands group published THIS amazing piece of bigotry multi-track drifting, as if the oil sands weren't enough of a national embarassment

Hm yes, truly the only thing Saudi Arabia has done wrong was killing gay peoHOT LESBIANS BRO!!!!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
A coworker who was an early model Gen-Xer had gout and he was in great shape. That’s when I learned gout can be genetic which sounds absolutely miserable.

The fat guy eating bacon wrapped lobster is not suffering from genetic gout.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I'm early 30's and I have gout. Will not recommend.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My friend and I went to a homeless shelter to drop off donations we had collected from work and there was this boomer in front of us doing the same.

Instead of just handing over the money and collecting the receipt for his company he loudly and repeatedly told the person working "MAKE SURE YOU MAKE IT OUT TO ME INSTEAD OF THE COMPANY!" "IT'S FOR THE TAXES!". Boomer was trying to save like $5 bucks on his tax bill at the end of the year.

The place was super busy and the employee had to answer phone calls while helping this guy and he kept shaking and yelling at her to make sure she wrote the receipt out in his name instead of the company.

Boomer was super red and shaky

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Danaru posted:

Lmao on that loving subject, from a few years back, an oil sands group published THIS amazing piece of bigotry multi-track drifting, as if the oil sands weren't enough of a national embarassment

Hm yes, truly the only thing Saudi Arabia has done wrong was killing gay peoHOT LESBIANS BRO!!!!

:cripes:

Shardy
Jun 21, 2000
I'm a sticky snake!
Lol he's still gonna have to itemize and beat the standard deduction if he wants to see any tax benefit from his donation (thanks to the new tax rules). So I guess that means he won't be donating anything next year, after he figures out there's nothing in it for him - which would definitely be the boomer-est approach.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Boomers will donate canned vegetables that have been in their drawer for years only and will complain if you bring up that direct money does more for homeless shelters.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Fallom posted:

Military base facilities are almost exclusively used by the brand of boomer that served too late to deploy to Vietnam and too early for the first Gulf War

:hmmyes:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Shardy posted:

Lol he's still gonna have to itemize and beat the standard deduction if he wants to see any tax benefit from his donation (thanks to the new tax rules). So I guess that means he won't be donating anything next year, after he figures out there's nothing in it for him - which would definitely be the boomer-est approach.

I should have mentioned we are in Canada, so might be a bit different.

It gave off powerful boomer energy of "you better be grateful for what I give"

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Fried Watermelon posted:

I should have mentioned we are in Canada, so might be a bit different.

It gave off powerful boomer energy of "you better be grateful for what I give"

You have to donate at least $200 to get a worthwhile tax benefit.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Mamkute posted:

You have to donate at least $200 to get a worthwhile tax benefit.

If this were the Harper-era years, I could understand, given it's possible this person wanted to make sure they got the extra credit for the First-time Donors Super Credit, that adds an extra 25% credit to the initial 15%/29% rates (up to $1,000).

But somehow I don't think so, even if this was before 2018.

bobjr posted:

Boomers will donate canned vegetables that have been in their drawer for years only and will complain if you bring up that direct money does more for homeless shelters.

I also just remembered when Mitt Romney's 2016 campaign tried to send a couple of trucks full of canned goods for Hurricane Sandy relief effort, and both the local governments and Red Cross, iirc, said, "No, thanks, we're good. If you really wanted to help, you should've checked with us first before, so you don't get in the way."

Basically from what I've learned about charity is that straight-up cash is best, all else being equal.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

From what I've been told, it's pretty much

1) Cash
2) Time if they need it
3) Everything else.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
A late 2000s Chrysler Town&Country with stickers of a handgun, two thin blue line flags, and a Punisher/thin blue line skull.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
After 9/11 the Red Cross saw a ton of blood donations. So much there was more supply than needed and people were pissed that their donated blood was used for something else or was disposed of.

naem
May 29, 2011

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have a friend who's a legit gun collector. He focus on anything pre Vietnam, and has a huge collection at this point. He's on a gun forum and recently posted a video on there about how he deactivates the guns so they cannot be fired, because they're purely historical objects to him. He keeps the parts and its a simple process that can be reversed without damaging it for resale. Some boomer exploded on him for doing this, going into a long rant about whats the point of owning guns if you can't use them to shoot people invading his home. They created elaborate situations where he'd need a gun to fight off hoards of criminals that are swarming his home. The boomer then started talking about how in every room he has a hidden gun so no matter what happens, he can kill someone, including one in the fridge in case someone comes up behind him while he's getting a pickle, or under the toilet in case someone who's not white tries to steal his TV while he's taking a poo poo.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shame on an IGA posted:

cursed thread spotted on my fb feed

perhaps some irony in the username/post combo but whatevs

isn't this from the ryan gosling movie where he curb stomps a guy's skull like a watermelon inside an elevator

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twistedmentat posted:

I have a friend who's a legit gun collector. He focus on anything pre Vietnam, and has a huge collection at this point. He's on a gun forum and recently posted a video on there about how he deactivates the guns so they cannot be fired, because they're purely historical objects to him. He keeps the parts and its a simple process that can be reversed without damaging it for resale. Some boomer exploded on him for doing this, going into a long rant about whats the point of owning guns if you can't use them to shoot people invading his home. They created elaborate situations where he'd need a gun to fight off hoards of criminals that are swarming his home. The boomer then started talking about how in every room he has a hidden gun so no matter what happens, he can kill someone, including one in the fridge in case someone comes up behind him while he's getting a pickle, or under the toilet in case someone who's not white tries to steal his TV while he's taking a poo poo.

That boomer is why we need red flag laws. Anyone who leaves guns loaded and hidden around the house need to have them taken away.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
They love to envision scenarios where they are the action hero. My uncle says "I don't stockpile food because when society collapses, I have guns and can get what I want from others that have stockpiled food." Like he's discovered some trick and that he's the only one around with guns.

My dad has dozens of guns and I wouldn't trust him to protect an ice cream stand. He locks his up at least.

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 23, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Leon Einstein posted:

They love to envision scenarios where they are the action hero. My uncle says "I don't stockpile food because when society collapses, I have guns and can get what I want from others that have stockpiled food." Like he's discovered some trick and that he's the only one around with guns.

My dad has dozens of guns and I wouldn't trust him to protect an ice cream stand. He locks his up at least.

what if they have guns and food

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Because the gasoline would soak through a paper bag duh.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

purple death ray posted:

Then he has two guns and food. Do try to keep up, this will be on the test.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

purple death ray posted:

Then they would eat the guns and attack people with the food.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I figure in that scenario all the gun nut boomers would all turn on each other because they are armed and paranoid enough to not trust anyone else to tell them what to do.

It's funny when gun nuts act like gun owners in the US are some monolithic group that is going to magically have all sorts of solidarity with one another in Civil War 2, as opposed to the reality of them snitching and collaborating their way straight to the gallows.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I wasn't kidding when I said 'telling you all about their medical maladies in excruciating detail' in an early page of this thread.

I came home to visit for Christmas, my brother picked me up from the airport, and as soon as I got in, my dad said 'Take a seat, I gotta talk to you.'

So I sat, and he spent about 20 minutes telling me, very detailed, about his current physical ailments, including gout, bursitis, and a wound that was leaking 'juice' because of circulation issues in his bad leg.

Despite telling him 'Yes okay, enough about the juice. Stop calling it juice!' he keeps trying to me about it.

Again I stopped him and said 'So... are you dying or something? Do you need surgery?"

He said 'Nah, just wanted to keep you updated.'

And then proceeded to talk about how lovely vegetarian food is, because his doctor said he had to lay off meat.

My uncle tried to show me the hole where they attached his colostomy bag.

twistedmentat posted:

These are also the same guys who yell about being "responsible gun owners". I know it's basically just a racist nonsense but do they really think a horde is going to descend upon thier house for a cheap Dynex tv and a DVD/VCR combo? I'd be very upset if someone broke in and stole my poo poo, but I'm not going to loving kill someone over an Xbox or whatever.

Leon Einstein posted:

This is another thing that baffles me. If society collapses and it comes to this sort of thing who the gently caress is going to want to live like that? It looks cool in sci-fi movies when they have crazy outfits and drive heavily modified muscle cars. But the reality of it is that you're going to constantly be dirty and sick and just generally never have access to poo poo you need to live. And these are the same loving people who flip their poo poo over new lightbulbs or someone driving a Prius. Next time he starts in on this crap tell him that if he wants to live like that so badly to move to a third world country where things are already like that. Watch his brain short circuit. Mad Max and zombie movies are like catnip for people who think a global crisis is going to be like a trip to Disneyworld instead of relentless horror (and also they want to kill minorities without consequence). And then aside from all that his first thought in this situation is to violently exploit other people and kill them/leave them to die instead of working together for everyone's benefit. So this is like boomer Bingo.

Nastyman posted:

Then he has two guns and food. Do try to keep up, this will be on the test.

A smart guy would trade the food for guns then when you have the guns you can point them at the other guy and go "Now give me the food!".

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

"Hey, Luke, show winterwerefox the colt 1911 I got you."

Luke is my 6th brother. He goes to his room, comes back with a 1911. He was 15 or 16 at this time. He comes back and hands it to me. Being gun safety conscious, I drop out the magazine, and rack the slide. loving one in the chamber, full magazine.

An incredulous me to Luke "Why the hell is this loaded? Why are you keeping this loaded?"

My boomer dad to me "You always treat a gun like its loaded. An unloaded gun is just a badly shaped hammer."

Like I was the idiot in that situation.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Sorry you dweebs don't like it but it's my right as a gun owner to stash loaded firearms in every crevice of my domicile. I call it the Liability Doctrine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Every gun boomer I’ve met would be firmly on the side of the fascist dictatorship they pretend to be stockpiling against

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

The people that fetishize the apocolaypse are also the kind of people that can't shoot for poo poo and/or are so fat or have so many medical conditions they wouldn't last 5 minutes anyway.

Cool, you have 50 guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition but can you walk a quarter of a mile without collapsing?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If you really want a funny (morbid) image, imagine The Happening actually going down in the US and now like 50 million people are all starting their new Live By The Sword lifestyle on the same day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

The people that fetishize the apocolaypse are also the kind of people that can't shoot for poo poo and/or are so fat or have so many medical conditions they wouldn't last 5 minutes anyway.

Cool, you have 50 guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition but can you walk a quarter of a mile without collapsing?

I was thinking this too, but also those backwoods militia guys who like to cosplay the apocalypse. The second they come across anyone with actual military training they're all dead.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

winterwerefox posted:

My boomer dad to me "You always treat a gun like its loaded. An unloaded gun is just a badly shaped hammer."

Goddamn what a loving idiot.

Always treat a gun like its loaded. Treat. Not keep it loaded at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

https://images.app.goo.gl/T5F8UXL3q1JpxE988