Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, I remember liking it when I finally read it. I'm just still really sore about Narnia being renumbered with the wrong order, so any "it's a prequel so it comes first" behavior sets me off.

Original numbering is correct for Narnia everyone knows that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Reading New Spring first is fine for a reread. First time readers should never do it because it completely changes the way you look at the first book or two; because you have a ton of extra information - you know Moraine and Siuan. You know exactly what Moraine is doing in Emond's field, you know about the Black Ajah, etc.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

How are u posted:

Someone mentioned the Wheel of Time Spoiler Podcast ages ago and I figured I'd give it a listen. The hosts, at least at the beginning of the podcast, pronounced Ishamael's name like loving Ishmael from Moby Dick and it drove me up the wall.

I listened to the first couple of episodes and as a person who read the series through once and started a reread around this time last year it felt like they had very little familiarity with the books. Maybe it's because I've read all the posts in these WOT threads during my reread but they miss so much and ruminate on "oh was this a thing that happened? who was that again?". I was hoping for better. Does it get better as they go along? I really like seeing how all the different pieces fit together but they don't seem any more insightful than I am, which is not very.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

The Lord Bude posted:

Reading New Spring first is fine for a reread. First time readers should never do it because it completely changes the way you look at the first book or two; because you have a ton of extra information - you know Moraine and Siuan. You know exactly what Moraine is doing in Emond's field, you know about the Black Ajah, etc.

it's funny, i think i'd already been so used to a lot of those details that a lot of this kind of blew over my head in terms of how much background stuff it gives away to reframe the first book or so.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

Original numbering is correct for Narnia everyone knows that

Everyone sane and moral knows that, which does not include the publishing companies.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Vavrek posted:

Everyone sane and moral knows that, which does not include the publishing companies.

I literally never knew until right now that the publisher order wasn’t the correct one because my mother would buy them for me when I was very young lol

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Inspector 34 posted:

I listened to the first couple of episodes and as a person who read the series through once and started a reread around this time last year it felt like they had very little familiarity with the books. Maybe it's because I've read all the posts in these WOT threads during my reread but they miss so much and ruminate on "oh was this a thing that happened? who was that again?". I was hoping for better. Does it get better as they go along? I really like seeing how all the different pieces fit together but they don't seem any more insightful than I am, which is not very.

I never listened to more than like the first 4 episodes. It's really low on my podcast priority list.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mat fucks

Theres proof of it in AMOL

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mat fucks

Theres proof of it in AMOL

He also gets hosed, I think we know who was calling the shots when he met Tylin.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I've started my reread leading up to the TV series. Just began TEoTW while on vacation.

One thing I low key like early on is that the people of Emond's Field aren't depicted as actually stupid in clumsy proxy of being provincial. The Village Council manages news of distant wars and calamities, the elders believe the boys about the black cloaked strangers, etc.

Also Thom introduces himself as a former court bard. Which is loving hilarious.

Mat perks up "wait wait tell me about the wars"

One of the things I'm continually surprised by is that I like Cenn Buie.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 23, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Pffft, gleeman's tales. :rolleyes:

RedFlag
Nov 22, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

It gets better (in the sense that you seem to be looking for). In no small part because the hosts soon build up a community of listeners who they are willing to listen to and be corrected/informed by in real time when required.

I enjoyed their enthusiasm from the start, but now they have some of the original WOT Theoryland folks on their side and are clearly putting work into each episode. Maybe try listening to some more recent episodes and see what you think?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I've started my reread leading up to the TV series. Just began TEoTW while on vacation.

One thing I low key like early on is that the people of Emond's Field aren't depicted as actually stupid in clumsy proxy of being provincial. The Village Council manages news of distant wars and calamities, the elders believe the boys about the black cloaked strangers, etc.

Mat perks up "wait wait tell me about the wars"

One of the things I'm continually surprised by is that I like Cenn Buie.

Emond's Field felt like a real place. And I loved Tam bringing down the sword. No GEE IT SURE IS SCARY TONIGHT WE BETTER HAVE SOME PROTECTION, he just quietly does it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

One thing I didn’t really like about Emonds Field is that they were these group of very strong willed independent people that in an instant will name a lord to be ruled under. They snubbed the queen for generations, them fuckers don’t need a lord.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Invalid Validation posted:

One thing I didn’t really like about Emonds Field is that they were these group of very strong willed independent people that in an instant will name a lord to be ruled under. They snubbed the queen for generations, them fuckers don’t need a lord.

they snubbed outside rulers for generations, but democratically agreed that their greatest general, who came from nothing and never asked for it, be their (pseudo) independent lord? doesn't seem that weird

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

He personally saved the village by organising them at great cost to himself. It always felt earnt to me.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I figured some of it was covered by the whole ta'veren thing. I was okay with them making him their leader, but I didn't care for all the awkward bowing and scraping that went along with it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Also the queen hadn't tried to exert power over the Two Rivers for generations.

I might be wrong about the time but it had been a while anyway.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Elected leader is fine, but they were waiting on him hand and foot, even if he reluctantly accepted it. Imagine someone saving your town/life and then you just kinda became their servant.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Colonel Cool posted:

I figured some of it was covered by the whole ta'veren thing. I was okay with them making him their leader, but I didn't care for all the awkward bowing and scraping that went along with it.

Naw, it was perfectly in character for Emonds Field. They flipped straight from “We don’t need a Lord” to “gently caress your filthy foreign lord, we got our own Lord and he’s the lordiest Lord that ever lorded. He wears a crown and eats off doilies and poo poo!”

“but I don’t want to eat off doilies “

“gently caress you, sir, You will eat off doilies and love it, your majesty!”

I’ve known tons of country people like that. It’s all very Granny Weatherwax.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Elected leader is fine, but they were waiting on him hand and foot, even if he reluctantly accepted it. Imagine someone saving your town/life and then you just kinda became their servant.

To be fair, if you are not in line to inherit a farm then being a servant is probably a pretty sweet gig there. Especially with a lord like Perrin? You get fancy clothes as part of your pay, you get to eat good food, you have at least theoretical access to the lord and so have a measure of influence and respect in society. You probably also get paid in hard currency.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also making arrogance out of humility is super on brand for a certain type of country folk. It’s the same spirit that makes “Bless their heart” into cutting words.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I mean its not like they really listened to him most of the time, they were largely just doing things they thought were right and pointedly ignoring Perrin about most things anyways.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Part of that was the simple fact that they hadn't dealt with nobility in a very, very long time. So they were getting their notions about how to do so from old books and traveler's tales.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

And Faile, I imagine.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

“but I don’t want to eat off doilies “

“gently caress you, sir, You will eat off doilies and love it, your majesty!”
This was one of the first things I read today after waking up and it got me laughing. Thanks.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

TGS Chapter 39:

Verin :unsmith:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The real question is how many generations till Perrin and Failes descendents start acting like the nobles from Tear/Cairhen/Andor.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack2142 posted:

The real question is how many generations till Perrin and Failes descendents start acting like the nobles from Tear/Cairhen/Andor.

One

Remember they're also the King and Queen of Saldea after the Last battle since the king and Faile's parents died.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Zore posted:

One

Remember they're also the King and Queen of Saldea after the Last battle since the king and Faile's parents died.

You know, I'm looking at the map, and I'm seeing a whole lot of unclaimed land between Baerlon and the southern tip of Saldea.

Really, marry some of their kids to Elayne's twins (doesn't that come up during negotiations at one point and Perrin gets mad about arranged/political marriages?) and unite the whole heartland under one dynasty.

edit: I mean, I know whatever gets set up is probably going to have a hard time weathering the next couple generations, but the premise is there to start making some large unified power blocks.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 23, 2019

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Zore posted:

One

I am slowly rereading this series and forgot most of what happened by the end after I read the series through the first time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Queen, but y'know

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Queen, but y'know

Oh yeah, I was confusing her with her dad since he's a much bigger character.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Hello Alanna

https://twitter.com/deadline/status/1209181652804464643?s=21

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Zore posted:

Oh yeah, I was confusing her with her dad since he's a much bigger character.

Tenobia's uncle is Bashere I assume is what you meant?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I guess Alanna is going to have a bigger role early on. Makes sense what with what she does to Rand and the role she has in the Two Rivers.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's funny how unceremoniously she goes out later on, so hopefully her overall role and impact is better managed.

Her biggest impact was scaring Rand into staying in Cairhien long enough for the Red faction to.abduct him

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 24, 2019

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Zore posted:

One

You mean Queen and Prince Consort. Perrin would not be King. Kings always outrank Queens. The wife of a King gets the title of Queen. The husband of a Queen who rules in her own right is a Prince.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

You mean Queen and Prince Consort. Perrin would not be King. Kings always outrank Queens. The wife of a King gets the title of Queen. The husband of a Queen who rules in her own right is a Prince.

Only mostly true in Britain. However, the title king consort exists, and in that case, the queen outranks the king consort. There's been a few notable king consorts as well, such as Henry Stuart and the Duke of Cadiz.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Dec 24, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vavrek posted:

You know, I'm looking at the map, and I'm seeing a whole lot of unclaimed land between Baerlon and the southern tip of Saldea.

Really, marry some of their kids to Elayne's twins (doesn't that come up during negotiations at one point and Perrin gets mad about arranged/political marriages?) and unite the whole heartland under one dynasty.

edit: I mean, I know whatever gets set up is probably going to have a hard time weathering the next couple generations, but the premise is there to start making some large unified power blocks.

In said negotiations, it succession also comes up, and they agree that if one of Faile's kids inherits Saldea, it can't also inherit the Two Rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As an aside I did like that Elayne at one point thinks "well I guess Princess is technically correct but no one would ever use that form anymore"
Daughter-heir sounds better imo