Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

People only hate TLJ because it didn’t provide the feel-good nostalgia trip they wanted where nothing about their identification with the heroes is questioned.

What is with people who like TLJ constantly projecting and assuming things about people who don't like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah it looks great but it being silent didn't make sense when the rest of star wars space warfare isn't. 5/10

Silence is an effective tool for a sound designer.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

cjg posted:

What thread is this?
For real. If being anywhere sci-fi adjacent on the internet means listening to everybody's super special and important take on why a Star Wars movie was bad and also Nazis are there, I'm just... I'm so tired. And I've gone from being a RedLetterMedia fan to wishing they'd never have popularized making GBS threads on Star Wars as being a whole personality people can have.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah it looks great but it being silent didn't make sense when the rest of star wars space warfare isn't. 5/10

“It’s doesn’t do what I’m used to” is the most childish criticism. Every Star Wars movie does something the previous one didn’t (except the JJ ones).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crossposting wholesomeness from the FFG RPG thread because Baby Yoda has gotten my own babies into The Star Wars in a way none of the films ever did:

Ran my kids through a truncated version of the EotE beginner module. Highlight was definitely an inspired use of the droid's meager deception pool by my 9-year-old.

"I tell the docking control officer I need her to release the clamps on the ship in docking bay? What was it... Auresh?"
"That's right. She says "And why should I do that?'"
"'I'm docking control droid 374. The ship has to leave in precisely 4.5 minutes.'"
"'But you look like a medical droid?'"
"'There's a very bad sickness on the ship, it needs to be quarantined.'"
"'I didn't get any Imperial Commerce Commision notification of quarantine-- but I don't want any sickness spreading here under my watch. What about the firefight we heard outside?'"
"'One of your security droids malfunctioned.'"

I gave her two advantage dice on the deceit roll because you gotta reward ad-libbing with the lie that well.

"Okay, I better shut the other one down remotely and do a full diagnostic."

Epilogue
https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1209148587277459457

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Marin Karin posted:

“It’s doesn’t do what I’m used to” is the most childish criticism.

Are you new around here?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Baby yoda meets Babu Frik when?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

Crossposting wholesomeness from the FFG RPG thread because Baby Yoda has gotten my own babies into The Star Wars in a way none of the films ever did:

Ran my kids through a truncated version of the EotE beginner module. Highlight was definitely an inspired use of the droid's meager deception pool by my 9-year-old.

"I tell the docking control officer I need her to release the clamps on the ship in docking bay? What was it... Auresh?"
"'I'm docking control droid 374. The ship has to leave in precisely 4.5 minutes.'"
"'I didn't get any Imperial Commerce Commision notification of quarantine-- but I don't want any sickness spreading here under my watch. What about the firefight we heard outside?'"

I gave her two advantage dice on the deceit roll because you gotta reward ad-libbing with the lie that well.

Epilogue

This is cool I like it :3

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

What is with people who like TLJ constantly projecting and assuming things about people who don't like it?

Liking TLJ isn't a personal statement, it's a political statement - so the people who don't like it are CHUDS.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Epilogue

This is wholesome

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Frankly astonished by the state of affairs, I cannot believe that Star WRs fans, of all people, would get up in arms about something so silly and frivolous.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

People only hate TLJ because it didn’t provide the feel-good nostalgia trip they wanted where nothing about their identification with the heroes is questioned.

Only a dark lord of the sith speaks in absolutes. Wait, is that an absolute? How do absolutes work in canon

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

Only a dark lord of the sith speaks in absolutes. Wait, is that an absolute? How do absolutes work in canon

Only a dark lord deals in absolutes. I won't apologize for thinking that, i'm sorry it's the jedi way.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I remember it differently. Must be the Mandelaorian effect

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Owlbear Camus posted:

Epilogue

Your kids are adorable and that table is rad

I have spoken.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

I remember it differently. Must be the Mandelaorian effect

Youre a dead man

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rocksicles posted:

The whole sound thing actually has an cannon explanation:

Your sensors'll give you an audio simulation for a rough idea of where those fighters are when they're not on your screen. It'll sound like they're right there in the turret with you.

Just pretend that scene isn't giving you the fighter pilot/gunner POV.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

That scene was 100% anime.

Like, that's stuff I swear I remember from the old Macross. The moment of silence before a big explosion it's meant to make the whole thing extremely dramatic. And it was loving awesome. I was surprised of seeing something like that in Hollywood movie.

Yes, I was hardcore weaboo back in the day lmao

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

People only like TLJ because they're desperate trolls and also fans of the DC universe.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

TLJ was an episode of the 70's Battlestar Galactic in Star Wars drag. The sequels have been just awful and are almost an attack on the original movies. The Mandelorian is cool and good. The show plays in the Star Wars sandbox without being saddled with bad fan service or with the authors attempting to rewrite the rules of the SW universe.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 24, 2019

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrFlibble posted:

Liking TLJ isn't a personal statement, it's a political statement - so the people who don't like it are CHUDS.
It's not that everybody who doesn't like it are CHUDs. It's that CHUDs don't like it and have gone apoplectic over the inclusion of women and black people in Star Wars and have harassed its fans and actors and actresses off of the internet, so if you don't want to be associated with them, you kinda' have to say more than "that movie sucked," or you're gonna' get the side-eye.

Then there's the fact that troll farms, many Russian, were making GBS threads on the flick and siding with MRA douchebags and Nazis to sow division in America.

https://www.wired.com/story/star-wars-russian-trolls-study/

You can love Mad Men and Rick and Morty and Scarface and Boondock Saints and Joker and Wolf of Wall Street and Catcher in the Rye and Fight Club and all of the other things regressive douchebags love, but it's also up to you to make sure people know you're not one of the fans who love them for those reasons.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nah I’m not gonna gonna go out of my way to assure anyone that I’m “one of the good ones” thanks. anyone whose going to make a snap judgement about my personal politics because I didn’t like a movie about space wizards isn’t someone worth talking to, IMO.

The onus is more on you to not make snap judgments about people who disagree with you.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, not liking a bad Star Wars movie gets youre labled a red pilling, nazi collaborator now. get the gently caress outta here.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

We should declare a 48 morontorium on acrimonious sequel trilogy chat ITT and in the spirit of goodwill talk about the divine baby yoda, life day, and the holiday special.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I feel bad for whoever designed the new webcam on a wheel droid for this movie. Like they prob thought they were making the cutest new star war thing ever that everyone would love that would be sold everywhere and have tons of memes and stuff then baby yoda came out he prob opened his veins in a warm bathtub.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

This is great.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

banned from Starbucks posted:

I feel bad for whoever designed the new webcam on a wheel droid for this movie. Like they prob thought they were making the cutest new star war thing ever that everyone would love that would be sold everywhere and have tons of memes and stuff then baby yoda came out he prob opened his veins in a warm bathtub.

man, it sure worked on my kid, he just saw it in passing in a store and suddenly it became the only thing he talked about for weeks.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Hey me and him both

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's not even the cutest droid because BD1 exists.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just saw this behind-the-scenes cast photo for the first time:

Of course Pascal is the only one who keeps his helmet on. :v:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes....Pascal.....

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Didn't i read the on set guy is John Waynes grandson or something?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Rocksicles posted:

Didn't i read the on set guy is John Waynes grandson or something?

Yup, Brendan Wayne.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SirSamVimes posted:

Yup, Brendan Wayne.

Meta

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mulva posted:

Yes....Pascal.....

Dammit I knew that, I had a brain fart :doh:

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol does pascal just do the voice like james earl jones?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

freckle posted:

lol does pascal just do the voice like james earl jones?

Seems like, or Brednan Fraser with Robot Man

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Owlbear Camus posted:

We should declare a 48 morontorium on acrimonious sequel trilogy chat ITT and in the spirit of goodwill talk about the divine baby yoda, life day, and the holiday special.

The holiday special is one of the worst things I've ever seen, and I had never actually watched parts of it until last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I watched it live. I liked the Boba Fett cartoon part. I don't think I've seen any of it since then.