Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I finally got the base workstations mission unjammed. Lost and gained some points with the vy'keen, did a couple of trade missions and it finally Un-stuck. Going through the joy of missions where the rewards are for blueprints I already have. At least it's dead easy to complete the dangling chunk of early plot line.

Also I just realised the geocannon one shot kills sentinels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I am a recent player, so it has likely been said before.
How in the hell did they gently caress up changing keyboard settings so badly?

Normally I can go into any game and change WASD to what I like and play normally.
10 keyboard control schemes? With no interaction between them if there is a conflict?
I can (almost) see having separate for foot/exo/ship but 2 different ones for quick menus and another for the actual Esc menu.

I have seen bad console ports but nothing has ever had controls this bad that I have ever played.

I have around 100h into the game and really enjoy it but holy poo poo.
I just made one change that should not have affected quick menus in any way but they are seemingly all messed up now.
Will likely have to reset them all and start over again.
It's like a loving mini game built in.

From what I can tell it was worse before recent changes have made this somehow better.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 24, 2019

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
tbh this exact thing is why I use a controller (I'm an old school FPS nerd so I use EDSF instead of WASD, it makes changing the bindings an eternal nightmare)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The only reasonable explanation for the user interface is that the designer is some kind of cenobite and this is how they torment people.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Yo I think they redesigned the frigates to make repairing things 75% less of a hassle

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I haven't had a damaged one recently, what'd they do?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Did they change anything in the last day or two because last week I was having to repair like 6+ spots on my frigates and the last two days I've only had to fix two every time

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
"units received"
"units received"
"units received"
"units received"
"units received"
"units received"
"extreme night temperature detected"
"extreme day temperature detected"

My farm is on a hazard planet and this is by far the most annoying part of it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Ok, so I did a little scrapping experiment. Sample size is only 50, so results are super untrustworthy.

Your odds of getting a storage augmentation depends on class and whether the ship is a fighter or not.

Fighters, for some reason, tend to scrap for 3-4 modules, and rarely give you storage augmentation units, at any class

Shuttles give you 1-3 modules, and they give you a storage about 75% of the time (this includes C class, will discuss in a moment)

Explorers and Haulers almost always give you a storage aug.

What I found was that your odds of getting a storage augmentation unit goes up with the ship's class. C Class (except fighter) gives you one about 30% of the time, B class is like 60% of the time, and A class is 90% of the time. (Except for fighters, of course)

I also found that it has nothing to do with the number of slots a ship has. Class is most important.

Also, it appears Haulers may drop slightly more often than Explorers, and Explorers slightly more often than shuttles, but that is purely conjecture.

So, in short:
Farm Fighters for Upgrade modules (Nanites). It's probably worth to scrap B, A, and S class since the return on B class ones is better than sitting around doing nothing, waiting for an A class, and they're cheap.

Farm B class or better Explorers, Haulers or Shuttles for storage upgrades.

Edit - trip report: I got 25 storage augmentation units and 25,000 Nanites in an hour doing this. If I didn't waste time with C-classes, I probably could have done 35 and 35,000

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 24, 2019

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

I haven't had a damaged one recently, what'd they do?

At least on my trade ships, they changed it from a 5 minute jaunt through the ship, to a short ramp and hallway that takes all of 45 seconds to repair everything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait was there just a patch that changed stuff in the frigate missions, suddenly my frigates are coming home with entire stacks of grantine, hot ice, half a million in units, etc, when before they were netting me like 50k units and a handful of poo poo items. These are for rank 1 or 2 missions, to boot.

Also I opened my previously empty personal refiner because for some reason it wouldn't let me drop some jelly in to turn into di-hydrogen, and sitting in the refiner input slot are 5 fusion igniters worth 78 million units

I'm not complaining mind you, but, uh, they're not supposed to be in there. Merry Christmas I guess

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Wait was there just a patch that changed stuff in the frigate missions, suddenly my frigates are coming home with entire stacks of grantine, hot ice, half a million in units, etc, when before they were netting me like 50k units and a handful of poo poo items. These are for rank 1 or 2 missions, to boot.

In a year and a half, ive literally never gotten less than several hundred thousand units per mission, usually millions. And always with tradeables

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Up until now it'd be multiple instances of 30k each and like...a single Rare Crystal or two, or equivalents, per 12 hour mission. Was starting to suspect it might not be worth it until the higher tiers, and then...this happened. Much better. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Up until now it'd be multiple instances of 30k each and like...a single Rare Crystal or two, or equivalents, per 12 hour mission. Was starting to suspect it might not be worth it until the higher tiers, and then...this happened. Much better. :v:

Yeah, I was surprised how much poo poo my frigates now carry in now. Too bad they don't seem to find any freighter-class salvage as I'm still sitting at a resounding zero after getting one ages ago. I then finally gave up waiting for more to show up and unlocked the one blueprint I could get with 1 salvage requirement (I don't even remember what it does.)

Looks like I just have to live with my freighter just having slightly longer range then my exotic main ship. :v:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Go to any freighter fleets in a system and hover over each of the cargo spots on the ships or the smaller carriers around the main ships, you should be able to get 5-8 modules per fleet. You can basically ignore the sentinel ship that shows up too, so long as you don't kill the first one no more will come. I've unlocked all but the final ranks of drives as well as every other freighter upgrade before I even had a cadmium drive crafted doing this. Plus if you've got the room in your ship and such, hitting up the cobalt, gold, and platinum cargo pods are worth a couple million. Just blow up the freighter pods and not the single cargo ships because those little ones will actually damage your standing with the respective faction, while the regular freighter pods won't. Only go after the single cargo ships that have freighter modules.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I know that but I don't want to shoot freighters, so that's not an option

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
why, it doesn't hurt anything unless you blow up the little separate ones.

just a principle thing?

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Had a weird, beneficial bug.

I was scrapping a bunch of ships to get storage augments and farm nanites. Along the way I found a nice looking S class fighter, so I scrapped ships until I had all the storage augments I needed to max it out. Summoned the anomaly, bought a few odds and ends with nanites and then used the teleporter on the anomaly to teleport to another system and when I teleported, the game acted like I just scrapped my fully maxed out S class ship. 150 million in scrap, a bunch of S class modules. Ship was still intact.

I tried replicating it but wasn't able to do so. Weird.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Yeah I know that but I don't want to shoot freighters, so that's not an option

Captain Invictus posted:

why, it doesn't hurt anything unless you blow up the little separate ones.

just a principle thing?

I had this same hang-up. It's a matter of principal.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today I got surprised by pirates warping in while I spend some time actually looking at a freighter and his little fleet of pods. Then I spend a couple minutes ineffectually blasting empty space while the freighter killed them all.

So while I'm not against shooting enemies (I'm just really bad at it), I won't commit senseless criminal acts for no good reason. I mean, it's one thing to blow yourself into an abandoned building to steal something as ephemeral as a blueprint, and it's another thing to just shoot at some civilian freighter passing by.

I can even argue that due how the events are rolling, I'm often solving problems and helping people by blowing up doors and waltzing into buildings, but if I shoot up supply depots and freighter pods, there is no problem I'm solving besides enriching myself. And besides that, apart from stuff like salvage, 99% of what I can get from being a criminal is extracted by my bases while I'm sleeping IRL, so it's a totally pointless crime. From my view point that is.

Anyway yeah, it's on principle. :v:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Libluini posted:

supply depots

I had thought those were Sentinel supply depots. I just blast them from my ship and get free stuff for ~2-3 seconds of time.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

In case you're not aware, the easiest way to kill those pirates is not to dogfight with them, but to get one to pay attention to you, then slam your ship into full reverse and shoot at them as they come at you. They'll uniformly charge straight at you and they're never much faster than you, so they'll basically line up into your sights for you.

After you down one, slam into full forward and boost your speed (SHIFT on PC) to pick up their loot. A lot of the time, it'll have a thing that will fully restore your shields. When you're a sufficient distance away, line up on the next one.

I had a huge problem with pirates until I did this, now I can kill anything.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Enemy ships take like, double damage if you hit their rear so it’s not a terrible idea to get behind them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ambaire posted:

I had thought those were Sentinel supply depots. I just blast them from my ship and get free stuff for ~2-3 seconds of time.

The Sentinels are like, just guardians thought into existence by Atlas or something. They sure as hell don't need supply depots when Atlas can just cast "Greater Sentinel Summon" to make more of them

Azathoth posted:

In case you're not aware, the easiest way to kill those pirates is not to dogfight with them, but to get one to pay attention to you, then slam your ship into full reverse and shoot at them as they come at you. They'll uniformly charge straight at you and they're never much faster than you, so they'll basically line up into your sights for you.

After you down one, slam into full forward and boost your speed (SHIFT on PC) to pick up their loot. A lot of the time, it'll have a thing that will fully restore your shields. When you're a sufficient distance away, line up on the next one.

That's another thing I know! Still, I'm bad enough at fighting I tend to avoid it, even if I'm in the mood to shoot, which is rare on its own. (I also now have video evidence of me failing at fighting, as I made a Christmas YouTube-stream playing NMS. I'll post the links later, when I'm finished with streaming the final, worst part.)

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I don't care much for shooting either. It's really boring and repetitive, and the reward isn't really worth it. Just wanted to make sure folks know that little trick, since I had genuine trouble before someone (maybe here) pointed it out to me.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My early Christmas gift for the thread:

Adventures in Abysmal Failure

Act I: The Basics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJzgdJlXJUM

In this video, I fly a bit around, demonstrate freighters, fail at dog fighting and talk a lot.

Act II: Minimalist Architecture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFvWBeo4gwk

Here I slowly teleport from base to base, showing off how you can do more with less. It's also an exercise in torture for people who like looking at nice, symmetrical things. But no, only pure horror here. It ends in a funny moment when I realize I never bothered with installing poo poo in my little Roamer vehicle and go on a short tour with it. (There's also some crafting and refining in it somewhere.)

Act III: The Search for Blueprint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucEflbhoNS8

A grueling 1+ hour attempt to get a new blueprint out of our fine blueprint generating system. A lot of sarcasm in this one. There's also some fighting where I have to deal with bullshit like Sentinels glitching inside the factory I'm standing in to laser my rear end off. The motto of this video should have been "Can you believe the old system was worse?"

I hope you have fun watching me ramble on for 3 hours in bad English! (Though I tried my best to capture as many interesting poo poo as I could on camera. Just jump past all the times I'm ranting about boring crap like basebuilding and crafting and get to the meat, like me running away like a coward without looking back when Sentinel space ships warp in behind me)

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Weird, I can teleport to a base that doesn't have a teleporter.
Haven't seen anyone mention that before.

e: seemingly thats been around for awhile, and can even TP to a base thats been deleted.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stare-Out posted:

Enemy ships take like, double damage if you hit their rear so it’s not a terrible idea to get behind them.
I recently noticed now the Sentinels have weak points that do quadruple damage, hitting the floaty drones directly in the eye, hitting the quads in their butt, and hitting the walkers in the tiny blue dot under their glowy eye. really helped in killing those bastards, let me tell you. funny thing though, I always dodged them and decided to try tanking the walker machine gun fire instead so I could accurately aim at the blue dot, bad idea. each of those hits will knock out a health pip after your shield is down, and will kill you in about half a second since you'll get hit by all those shots individually repeatedly at once. I barely escaped with a single health pip left when I tried it.

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I don't care much for shooting either. It's really boring and repetitive, and the reward isn't really worth it. Just wanted to make sure folks know that little trick, since I had genuine trouble before someone (maybe here) pointed it out to me.
probably something known by everyone by now, but if you feather the fire button(mouse click) for the default ship gun, it will never overheat no matter how fast you mash, but holding it down will overheat really quickly. lets you kill ships super quick and never stop shooting(this will often lead to accidentally nicking the space station if you're nearby and summoning a shitload of elite defender sentinel ships by accident who will absolutely gently caress your poo poo up though)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Captain Invictus posted:

That's about what I regularly get - to the point that I've built my farming infrastructure entirely around influxes of grantine and indesite components because I ran out of space to store all the grantines. I don't recall ever even seeing a mission that was above a 3 star.

Azathoth posted:

It's by far the easiest but you do need the shield capacity. I exploit their AI in the opposite way, where once they've done their pass at you they have a specific range they want to be at before they turn to do another, so when they go past I brake-turn to line back up with them quickly then accelerate after them shooting and occasionally pulsing to keep close so that they are forever in 'retreat to range' mode. It's way more involved but if you do it right they'll never fire at you again (and also it tricks me into thinking the combat is a little more engaging)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just got another 5 fusion igniters in my personal refiner. It's hilarious but also I kinda want to delete them since this bug renders everything else pointless

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Just got another 5 fusion igniters in my personal refiner. It's hilarious but also I kinda want to delete them since this bug renders everything else pointless

Eh, it's no different than going to the Nexus and having someone drop em into your inventory, but don't keep em if you'll feel guilty.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is the entire theme of the storyline.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
well I know, but I'm interested in setting goals for myself in freeform games like this, and if I were to like, find a single fusion igniter at the end of a long adventure on a planet or something that'd be one thing, but a bug repeatedly spawning stacks of them into my inventory is stupid

I sold'em and will probably just use the money to get a big freighter since that's the least-affecting thing I can blow all that cash on, but any further ones get trashed

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
If it makes you feel any better, I can harvest materials for, and craft 20 fusion in 10 minutes.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I just started playing after picking it up from the steam sale and I've enjoyed it except the space combat. Is it just the starter ship that handles like rear end? Or is there a secret to being able to fly properly so I'm not getting shot to shut by pirates.

Also any tips for a new player to make quick cash?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Elblanco posted:

So I just started playing after picking it up from the steam sale and I've enjoyed it except the space combat. Is it just the starter ship that handles like rear end? Or is there a secret to being able to fly properly so I'm not getting shot to shut by pirates.

Also any tips for a new player to make quick cash?

The starter ship is crap, talk to other ships landing in trading posts/station and see what your trade in value is, buy up when you can afford it.
The trade screen will show you each ships stats.

My first bits of money come from chlorine, 2 salt makes chlorine.
1 chlorine and 2 oxygen makes 6 chlorine.
You just need to far enough in to buy the medium refiner from the Anomaly.
Each unit sells for 602 a full stack sells for like 6 mil.

E: also, follow the Artemis storyline it leads you into base building and you get a lot of blueprints for free, i spent a lot of salvage on stuff my first time around which I could have saved. Not that salvage isnt extremely abundant especially on Korvax worlds.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 26, 2019

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Definitely do the storyline stuff to unlock all the blueprints.

For making money, I highly recommend getting modules for your multitool that enhance the scanner, particularly the ones that give a bonus to the units generated for scanning flora and fauna.

Then, you can just fly around to various planets and scan while looking at cool poo poo. That continues to be a solid money maker throughout the game.

Also, keep an eye out planets that have ancient artifacts or salvageable scrap. You can land on one of those planets and look around on your scanner and see things you can dig up that can sell for literally millions of units each (though usually much less). Bonus points if it's a planet without many sentinels or extreme weather.

I did this extensively in my early to mid game and I stand by it as highly effective. Definitely learn about the various exocraft as soon as possible, since that'll make the transit from each one way easier, and give you extra inventory.

If you need nanites, there's some good discussion about woodchippering cheap ships that you can easily do once you have a few million units to throw around.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I made the vast majority of my money scanning lifeforms and going on storm crystal expeditions, two things you can do at pretty much the same time.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Not sure what was going on here, not a camera trick or anything.
This dude was just huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Or do as I did, Do random nexus missions, get on a green system before you can, find an Emeril Hotspot. Ok, it was the first and only attempt at a nexus mission...

After I did that the game just started throwing money at me... Then I built the indium drive and found a planet with activated indium. The annoying part was to drive a couple of hours to find a Hotspot with an em Hotspot near. Now I have something like 100 millions and make at least 20 whenever I log in again.