Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VirtuteStreams
Dec 23, 2019
Superliminal Video LP test post
This LP has a green screen/face cam - which I understand isn't to everyone's tastes here. If that's total sacrilege I won't post the LP, but if it's allowed and there's interest I'd love to share it here and knock up some graphics for the post :)

VirtuteStreams fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Since nobody else has bothered replying yet, I'll do so.

As we already discussed in the Discord, facecams have always been a big no here. I have no idea if views on that have changed, but let's just assume for a moment the facecam is acceptable.

There's a couple things I found annoying:

- The 1m20 intro. Even with the direct link to skip that, I don't want this in LP videos. Cut it out. Just jump into the game. If you really need to beg for subscribers do that in an outro.
- The thing where you "emphasize" by having a big zoom-in on your face. That's very distracting because it cuts away from the game. If you really can't live without a facecam at the very least remove that stuff.
- At some point you had text popping up on screen and that had a spelling error in it. Sorry but I care about spelling.

The positive note is that your commentary style is fine. It doesn't feel like you're trying too hard or anything (a mistake a lot of people make), it's just you being you. So keep doing that.

VirtuteStreams
Dec 23, 2019
Thank you :) I'll definitely take that on board because I'd like to post here.
The spelling error was intentional - but looking back on the video it definitely doesn't feel like the LP's I've watched from here.
Appreciate you taking the time!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

VirtuteStreams posted:

The spelling error was intentional - but looking back on the video it definitely doesn't feel like the LP's I've watched from here.

For better or worse, facecam remains a dealkiller for a lot of people on this sub. I mean, you can do it if you want, LP is whatever you make of it, as I'm fond of saying. I just personally find it incredibly off-putting and distracting, is all. Though it's good you're willing to look reflexively on your work at least.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

VirtuteStreams posted:

While facecams are big in the YouTube and streamer LP communities, this subforum tends to really cringe at it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Grace and I are planning to LP System Shock 2, and because the audio logs have a tendency of being drowned out by gunshots and screaming people swinging pipes at my head, I decided to subtitle the logs as we listen to them. I've subbed the first episode and could use some feedback on readability etc. (I didn't sub the UNN trainer because he has a billion lines that I can't just copy and paste like I can with logs. I had to do that for the intro cinematic and it sucked :negative:)

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Danaru posted:

Grace and I are planning to LP System Shock 2, and because the audio logs have a tendency of being drowned out by gunshots and screaming people swinging pipes at my head, I decided to subtitle the logs as we listen to them. I've subbed the first episode and could use some feedback on readability etc. (I didn't sub the UNN trainer because he has a billion lines that I can't just copy and paste like I can with logs. I had to do that for the intro cinematic and it sucked :negative:)

I'd say legibility is pretty good.
You weren't kidding about voices getting drowned out by literally everything, but I could keep track of all the stuff you subtitled just fine. Most of the stuff you didn't subtitle was nearly impossible to make out, though. But that's more on the game than you.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Second test post.

It's a slow start, I admit, but I wanted to get the main game systems out of the way before really digging in. I could add more, but I thought this was a good cut-off point before dealing with combat, which is another infodump.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

rudecyrus posted:

Second test post.

It's a slow start, I admit, but I wanted to get the main game systems out of the way before really digging in. I could add more, but I thought this was a good cut-off point before dealing with combat, which is another infodump.

Yeah, I think you share enough information in order for the reader to follow along. This game looks to be very dense with mechanics and skill checks, so taking it slowly and giving information as it becomes relevant should be helpful to prevent people from getting lost.

It's also wise to leave combat for its own update if it's going to require a lengthy explanation. I think you made the right call ending the update where you did.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So here's a dumb question:

Is a Blind LP a bad idea to try and cut my teeth on as a first LP?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Maybe? Blind is just a style of LP, so it's hard to say more without knowing more about A) you and B) how you planned to present it. Are you funny? Have you played games like it? Are you going to let the game speak for itself? How about tech, are you ready to re-record a section three times because the audio didn't record once and then OBS mangled the footage on the second try? It's not really blind at that point, is it?

Short version: Probably, but you won't know until you try.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the game you're thinking about?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

What's the game you're thinking about?

Disco Elysium

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Disco Elysium

That's a pretty substantial game. You might want to think about starting out with something smaller to see if you actually enjoy making an LP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think if there was ever a game that you could do well blind, Disco Elysium might be it. No real gameplay mechanics to gently caress up, for one, and lots of interesting paths to take, many of which are wholly unpredictable. This is assuming you're doing an SSLP and not a VLP, though. It's kind of a lot of reading for the latter, and the text size would be a huge issue. It's also, yeah, a lot for a first-timer.

Note: I am currently doing a DE LP myself. I don't care if you do one of your own, but for the sake of your audience I'd recommend you build your character differently than mine so you get new flavors of dialogue. My character was 3/4/2/3, for the record. As for the text size, I've had to come up with a system where I batch crop all the dialogue bits in Photoshop and manually crop anything else I need with text. Just giving you a heads up.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Disco Elysium is legit the most difficult game I can imagine anyone doing an LP of, even if the LPer memorized all the content.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, when I say "you could do it well blind," note that I am a loving crazy person with no concept of tedium

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Follow your heart, do what you think is right.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I recommend making at least two updates before you post just so you know exactly what you're getting into.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I recommend making at least two updates before you post just so you know exactly what you're getting into.

That's probably fair. I have another idea for a first LP that might be more doable and I'm 200% more familiar with that game. That said, it's probably just as, if not moreso tedious, just because there's grinding involved.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grinding doesn't require video editing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I'd probably SSLP in either case

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When it comes to assembling SSLP posts, for most games I'd say that the actual playing of the game is at most a third of the time spent. This isn't always true, especially if you're doing challenge runs or games where the novel (i.e. worth including in the LP) content is sparse, but the bottom line is, it's a lot of work to put a post together.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Its not a bad idea, but I imagine the workload would probably be very high, what with all the dialogue and such. I remember this one person who tried to make a Screenshot LP of a text heavy game and the amount of images on the page almost crashed my browser, that person also gave up because people stopped posting.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

It should, in order to remove it

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Tombot posted:

Its not a bad idea, but I imagine the workload would probably be very high, what with all the dialogue and such. I remember this one person who tried to make a Screenshot LP of a text heavy game and the amount of images on the page almost crashed my browser, that person also gave up because people stopped posting.

How much dialogue contributes to workload depends a lot on whether you have to transcribe everything by hand or if you have a way to copy-paste it. Also not even a low-activity LP should crash a browser unless the images haven't been compressed properly.

But yeah I concur with trying to put a couple of updates together first and seeing how it feels like.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Audience Participation Question:
I am working on a rimwrold-like game where poster can sign up as character to do what they want their character to performs plans like build a kitchen, plant something, scout the area, feed awful food to another goon, etc. I don't plan on allowing murdering each other until much more goon have joined. Anything I should beware of before I jump into this mud-hole? There is a clear goal that requires them to work together for our faction to win.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You're basically talking about running an RP campaign. Consequently any advice that applies to GMs applies here. In particular, always assume goons will do anything except what you want them to do. Additionally, the Risk thread taught us that when giving goons control over in-game elements, they will react by trying to imagine a million possible scenarios and writing contingencies for each one. Either figure out a way to limit how much they can tell you (e.g. "your action statement must be 22 characters or fewer", as the You Have 001 Goblins thread does -- "must fit in a tweet" might be an appropriate escalation) or get used to reading.

You should also consider what to do if you have a bad actor. This can be either someone who goes absentee, or someone who's playing in bad faith (e.g. griefing). I recommend explicitly stating at the start that you will happily wield the banhammer against players that you think are a detriment to the experience for everyone else...but you'll still need to figure out what to do with their characters.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Thanks, I will be sure to do that.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hello sandy denizens, your palace is beautiful as always. I have a couple quick questions about LP etiquette: after a thread is finished (like the OP is not going to post any more updates there) how long should one wait to close it? Is there any particular format established to having multiple threads cover the same extremely long play-through broken up into sections?

TIA, I want to make sure I follow the rules.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
No rules for either! Some people lock up a thread right after an LP is over, others leave it open forever. Your call!

Some LPs have multiple threads, some don't. I mean, if you've clogged the entire first page of the subforum with threads, we're gonna have an issue. But by way of example, the Rock-Paper-Scissors LP had three concurrent threads: one for the left hand players, one for the right hand players, and a neutral general discussion thread.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Oh, okay. Thank you! My CYOA thread had been floating around for so ridiculously long I didn't want to not clean up after myself, y'all have been such nice hosts, but I also wanted to give people a chance to reflect before we start part II in the spring. So I guess I'll leave it open until there don't seem to be any more comments.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm thought of starting a new thread for my borderline LP / e-fed because at this point it's getting stupid long but that'd mean I have to actually write a new OP. That's why I haven't done it (yet)

But I've already seen LPs with successive and even concurrent threads. So Unless someone overdoes it I don't see anyone taking issue.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I'm considering doing a SSLP of Legal Dungeon, a weird little game about police paperwork and a corrupt, failing legal system. The issue is that the game has a built-in cursor that shows up in screenshots, since it's part of the game. Is this acceptable to leave in? What can I do to get rid of it? I could try putting the cursor in a solid-colored part of the screen and then editing it out, but that would become very annoying to have to do for every screenshot. The latter questions are probably best for the tech support fort, but I wanted to ask here first.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd just put it as out of the way as possible and not worry about it, honestly.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

yamiaainferno posted:

I'm considering doing a SSLP of Legal Dungeon, a weird little game about police paperwork and a corrupt, failing legal system. The issue is that the game has a built-in cursor that shows up in screenshots, since it's part of the game. Is this acceptable to leave in? What can I do to get rid of it? I could try putting the cursor in a solid-colored part of the screen and then editing it out, but that would become very annoying to have to do for every screenshot. The latter questions are probably best for the tech support fort, but I wanted to ask here first.

If the cursor's part of the game, I'd be willing to say just leave it in. If it's noticeable enough, you could even leave it in a spot that points to what you're talking about. The again, this is a matter of reader opinion.

The only way I can think to get rid of it easily is that I believe OBS studio has an option to not record the cursor.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think it's fine to leave the cursor in. IIRC, the LPs of the Infinity Engine games and a bunch of RTS games all left the games' cursors in.

The Flying Twybil posted:

If the cursor's part of the game, I'd be willing to say just leave it in. If it's noticeable enough, you could even leave it in a spot that points to what you're talking about. The again, this is a matter of reader opinion.

The only way I can think to get rid of it easily is that I believe OBS studio has an option to not record the cursor.
I think the OBS option to not record the cursor only applies to the OS' mouse cursor, not any in-game cursors.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 10, 2020

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Commander Keene posted:

I think it's fine to leave the cursor in. IIRC, the LPs of the Infinity Engine games and a bunch of RTS games all left the games' cursors in.

I think the OBS option to not record the cursor only applies to the OS' mouse cursor, not any in-game cursors.

You got me there. Given in-game cursors are usually just an overlay over the OS cursor's position, it's probably not going to work in this case. That being said, if it's possible to disable the in-game one through modding or whatever, you can probably get away with it.

I'm not much help technically in this situation, really. I'll still say its probably not a big deal to leave it in anyways.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

The Flying Twybil posted:

This right here. If it's not noticeable you can just leave it alone. Nobody should care too much. If it is noticeable, you may as well try to utilize it yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Thanks for all the quick responses. I'll keep its placement in mind when getting content and just leave it unless there's a screenshot I find it particularly distracting for.