Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

InediblePenguin posted:

yeah i live in Columbia county and all the volunteer fire departments sell these as a fundraiser thing on election day. i don't know where they're getting unsliced white bread but that's definitely what they use

At the Columbia county fair they were using lovely Italian bread but that’s kind of the same thing. I’m right over the county line in Dutchess, but I don’t think there’s any Dutchess county specialty foods unless Percocet by the handful counts as a snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I didn't grow up in an area with a noted style of barbecue, and I think it has made me a happier person overall.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I want "gimme the GOD drat candy" to tell us all what the difference is between that an a shepherds pie is right now and why they're so grossed out about it or I want them banned

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Captain Jesus posted:

As an actual czech person I think you should shut up and be ashamed. It looks pretty good and even somewhat resembles the way hot dogs are served in the Czech Republic.

The original pic looked like a klobasnek.

As a Scot, we have deep fried pizza.

Deep fried Mars bars. Deep fried black pudding. Deep fried sausages....

We're great at being awful.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I can run down to Ken's Chip Truck down at Canadian Tire and get a Fries with the Works right now. I think they also have dressing and cheese curds, so I could have Poutine with the Works, including dressing.

gently caress yeah.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
hot grape supremacy for ever. we drinkin microwaved jelly shooters in NYE yall.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Poutine is the most overrated poo poo I have ever tried.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
id eat pretty much all the food itt

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

1redflag posted:

The northern Midwest has “pasties” which are basically a meat pie w/ short crust pastry (think a chicken pot pie w/out the tin). They are loving amazing. Pronounced “past-ees”.

Those are British originally (source, am British, lived in Michigan). Traditionally theyre steak not chicken and either way they don't have gravy like a pot pie would :colbert:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
We have salt potatoes, which are just little potatoes boiled with a loving shitload of salt, and they come out all encrusted with it. Then you cover them in melted butter. Pretty delicious but I guess anything drowned in salt and butter is gonna be pretty good.

Also spiedies are from nearby, which are sandwiches with cubed chicken that is marinaded with oil and vinegar and some spices and then grilled on a skewer. Simple but pretty drat good.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Those are British originally (source, am British, lived in Michigan). Traditionally theyre steak not chicken and either way they don't have gravy like a pot pie would :colbert:

Lol at this dude just fully appropriating Cornish culture just because they export to england as well as Michigan

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Lol at this dude just fully appropriating Cornish culture just because they export to england as well as Michigan

Devon would like a word

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
That Niagara-area roast beef sandwich with the salty bread...is that just a different regional name for beef on weck?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Wheres the german pricks to claim they invented gyros

Its called a donner keperb its the best german food

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Sapper posted:

South Central PA checking in. We have Scrapple.

It's...well, it's all the parts of the pig that no one thought to eat before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple

I haven't had it since I was a kid, and I thought it was disgusting. But my friends love it so maybe I should give it a try again.

Mexicans take that poo poo and make it into delicious chorizo. I don't know what deal they made with which demon, but it is literal magic.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Proper gyros were invented in Chicago

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

That Niagara-area roast beef sandwich with the salty bread...is that just a different regional name for beef on weck?

Does the bread have caraway seeds too, or just salt? Because if so, yes.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Does the bread have caraway seeds too, or just salt? Because if so, yes.

Yup. I just looked it up and it is the same. I’ve only had it once on a business trip to Buffalo and that’s a mighty fine sandwich.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Benny Harvey posted:

Poutine is the most overrated poo poo I have ever tried.

I've had it from what's supposedly the best place in Montreal and it's still just an overly salty mess of brown glop on soggy fries. Wrecks the fries and cheese curds alternately, which is a drag.

Montreal's way of making steamed hot dogs and bagels (not like, together) are the superior option for both in my opinion. The rest of their chow is ridiculously overrated.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Supreme Allah posted:

Gyros was invented by the greeks. It is meat slices skewered and roasted on a spit, sliced and served with salad or whatever side dish. Döner was invented by a turkish guy in Berlin, which is gyros made from lamb and served in bread with salad and sauce in a piece of flatbread.

I have no idea where I am going with this or what your point is but Döner Kebab is the all around best fast food item in Germany, yes.

As for content: I'm from north germany and the food we have is almost all kinda crap, but kinda good. We have mushed cabbage and pears, Schnüsch, which is a vegetable stew with milk, and Grünkohl with Pinkel, which is cooked Kale with some super fatty sausage and sometimes pork. The only good thing to really come from north germany is fish, especially smoked one, which is just delicious.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2019

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

RocktheCaulk posted:

Maverik is probably then closest the mountain West will get to having a place like Sheetz or Wawa.
Does Casey's General Store make it all the way to the Mountain West? They are found in Kansas and Nebraska and they make pretty good pizzas, way better than I'd expect from a gas station.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CannonFodder posted:

Does Casey's General Store make it all the way to the Mountain West? They are found in Kansas and Nebraska and they make pretty good pizzas, way better than I'd expect from a gas station.

Can confirm, Casey's pizza is surprisingly good. Their cheese is something else.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Gennessee is a small beer company based in like upstate New York, and if you drink a Gennessee Cream and a Gennessee Ice at the same time, it becomes a Gennessee Ice Cream.

Genesee Brewery is absolutely not a small company, their brewery is pretty large.

This map is woefully outdated, as I think everyone knows what Greek yogurt is now, but it's a good reference for all the older stuff. Please leave us our food, it's all Upstate NY really has.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I've heard it called that before too, so yeah probably. But I've never found it outside the Niagara Area.
And yeah they got Caraway seeds on them too.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Korthal posted:

Genesee Brewery is absolutely not a small company, their brewery is pretty large.

This map is woefully outdated, as I think everyone knows what Greek yogurt is now, but it's a good reference for all the older stuff. Please leave us our food, it's all Upstate NY really has.

mozzarella sticks with raspberry sauce???? i've eaten mozzarella sticks in albany hundreds of times and it's always been with marinara sauce. i've never even been shown rasperry sauce as an option. they should've just put "steamed hams" if they were going to make up bullshit

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

CannonFodder posted:

They don't exist in Utah, don't know if a Colorado goon can confirm or deny though

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Son of Rodney posted:

Gyros was invented by the greeks. It is meat slices skewered and roasted on a spit, sliced and served with salad or whatever side dish. Döner was invented by a turkish guy in Berlin, which is gyros made from lamb and served in bread with salad and sauce in a piece of flatbread.

I have no idea where I am going with this or what your point is but Döner Kebab is the all around best fast food item in Germany, yes.

Doner wasn't invented in Germany lol.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

olylifter posted:

Montreal's way of making steamed hot dogs and bagels (not like, together)
Well why not?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

CannonFodder posted:

No but seriously, can everyone from Middle America stop talking about pizza? It's the most consistently mood destroying material in these threads.

Like jesus christ "Really good for gas station food!", this is some French art film levels of crushing depression.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Korthal posted:

The sphere of influence for the culinary is hosed up, too. According to that map they never go five minutes down route 9 to work in Poughkeepsie, which is stupid inaccurate.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

King of Bees posted:

Pepperoni rolls are Appalachian pasties basically. Miner food. A loaf of bread with pepperoni, cheese and sometimes peppers baked inside. Put it in your lunch bucket and have a warm lunch in the mine. Or be drunk and stoned at 7/11 pumping then full of free chili at three in the morning

Mother Fing Epic These, in Wild n Wonderful WV. or in SE Ohio/PA like where I got/get them

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Grape posted:

No but seriously, can everyone from Middle America stop talking about pizza? It's the most consistently mood destroying material in these threads.

Like jesus christ "Really good for gas station food!", this is some French art film levels of crushing depression.
If you cant get really good food from a gas station, that's really depressing.

Get a nice plate lunch, some gas, and a 40. It's heaven.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
EXTRA THICK AND CRUNCHY
The MSG makes it even better

Seattle is generally credited with spreading the popularity of teriyaki.

Washington also has penis clams.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
North Carolina has Cheerwine, a black cherry soda.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

CannonFodder posted:

North Carolina has Cheerwine, a black cherry soda.

I only had this in a bottle and it tasted most foul. It was of course several years old in the pantry of other office Christmas gifts.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
New Zealand has pavlova, which is basically a giant meringue with a gooey centre, covered in whipped cream and fruit. Garbage from a store but amazing if done right, and I don't generally eat a lot of sweet food.

My local bakery has an insane selection of pies, including lamb, mint & camembert; pork & kumara (like a sweet potato) green curry and prawn red curry.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

InediblePenguin posted:

mozzarella sticks with raspberry sauce???? i've eaten mozzarella sticks in albany hundreds of times and it's always been with marinara sauce. i've never even been shown rasperry sauce as an option. they should've just put "steamed hams" if they were going to make up bullshit

Arby's has raspberry sauce for their stuffed jalapenos and it is pretty good for fast food. I bet you could just ask for it when you order their mozzarella sticks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
we have, um, snow with maple syrup on it?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I dated a girl from kinda upstate New York (Columbia county) and she used to hollow out part of a loaf of bread and stick pepperoni and marinara sauce in there. She said it was a Columbia county thing, which seemed weird but then I went there and it was all over the goddamn place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCi91CU4AUk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

As for content: I'm from north germany and the food we have is almost all kinda crap, but kinda good. We have mushed cabbage and pears, Schnüsch, which is a vegetable stew with milk, and Grünkohl with Pinkel, which is cooked Kale with some super fatty sausage and sometimes pork. The only good thing to really come from north germany is fish, especially smoked one, which is just delicious.

Schwarma and gyros both (for the most part) poo poo on döner. The only döner which comes close is if it's made in house and honestly those seem rarer than gyros and schwarma.

Would it be problematic to suggest Königsberger klopse as the best North German food?