Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Naw, it was perfectly in character for Emonds Field. They flipped straight from “We don’t need a Lord” to “gently caress your filthy foreign lord, we got our own Lord and he’s the lordiest Lord that ever lorded. He wears a crown and eats off doilies and poo poo!”

“but I don’t want to eat off doilies “

“gently caress you, sir, You will eat off doilies and love it, your majesty!”

I’ve known tons of country people like that. It’s all very Granny Weatherwax.

There's definitely a bit of headology going on in that whole situation :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Torrannor posted:

In said negotiations, it succession also comes up, and they agree that if one of Faile's kids inherits Saldea, it can't also inherit the Two Rivers.

I mean if Crusader Kings teaches anything... Gavelkind will end in blood.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also making arrogance out of humility is super on brand for a certain type of country folk. It’s the same spirit that makes “Bless their heart” into cutting words.

Yeah, this. You haven't seen anything until you've seen two old country ladies determined to out-humble each other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know I’m a million times as humble as thou art!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

As an aside I did like that Elayne at one point thinks "well I guess Princess is technically correct but no one would ever use that form anymore"
Daughter-heir sounds better imo

If she had a younger sister, what would her title be?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Glumslinger posted:

Probably also princess; Gawyn is first prince of the sword, after all?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

The Glumslinger posted:

The Daughter-spare.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Glumslinger posted:

Please, Elayne would choke her with a pillow

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Daughter-spare.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Daughter-spare.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jack2142 posted:

I mean if Crusader Kings teaches anything... Gavelkind will end in blood.

Amazingly enough, CK2 could model this very situation very well. Imagine Andor being the Kingdom of England (of course), the Two Rivers being the Duchy of Cornwall, and Saldea being the Kingdom of Wales. The duke of Cornwall has married the queen of Wales in a regular marriage. When his wife dies, his oldest son become king of Wales. What happens when the duke dies?

If there are no provisions, the king of Wales inherits Cornwall/the king or queen of Saldea inherits the Two Rivers. That's the scenario that Elayne is explicitly mentioning. But if England's crown laws have Controlled Realm Inheritance, then titles cannot pass outside the realm through inheritance. Thus the second son of the Cornish duke would inherit the duchy. Like the second oldest child of Faile and Perrin would inherit the Two Rivers under the charter drawn up by Elayne.

And in CK2, it would also avoid a gavelkind hellwar, since the king of Wales is not likely to win a war pressing his claim on Cornwall against much bigger England, while the English king isn't likely to press his duke's claim on Wales, since that would lose him the duchy for no benefit to himself.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Torrannor posted:

gavelkind hellwar

Now you have reminded me of one game where I saw a countess somehow accumulate over a dozen counties while not managing to obtain a duchy title, then she died with like, six sons. It was carnage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for some reason i'd remembered egwene's time with the seanchan lasting longer based on my read from forever ago, but i'm glad i was wrong and that it didn't go into much detail. that was always one of the segments that stuck out to me as being particularly unnerving above most else.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Okay I've got a question. In The Dragon Reborn, the amyrlin says something to the effect of "I've been denying its existence but I'll have to be willing to say it: black ajah"

But she and moiraine in New spring clearly know, right? Is this a bit of caginess, or retcon, or...?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

silvergoose posted:

Okay I've got a question. In The Dragon Reborn, the amyrlin says something to the effect of "I've been denying its existence but I'll have to be willing to say it: black ajah"

But she and moiraine in New spring clearly know, right? Is this a bit of caginess, or retcon, or...?

Probably similar to GLOMAR, though I don't recall the specifics of this particular occurrence (I'll be watching out for it later)

It is one of those weird things that the existence of the Black Ajah is simultaneously more than rumor but also beneath the level of official acknowledgement to sisters bound by the oaths.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

silvergoose posted:

Going through the book, the closest I can find to such a statement is this:

quote:

The Amyrlin went on as if she had not spoken. “Liandrin[ tried to stuff you headfirst into a weir, and it may well be she left because she learned you were returning, and could unmask her, so I have to believe you aren’t—Black Ajah. I would rather eat scales and entrails,” she muttered, “but I suppose I’ll have to get used to saying that name.”/spoiler]

There's a bit a few paragraphs up where she's told that Liandrin was Black and respnds with "That is known".

So she's not being cagey, it is just that she considers it so vile that she doesn't want to say the name.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gnoman posted:

Going through the book, the closest I can find to such a statement is this:

[/spoiler]
There's a bit a few paragraphs up where she's told that Liandrin was Black and respnds with "That is known".

So she's not being cagey, it is just that she considers it so vile that she doesn't want to say the name.

I guess? But she, unlike the rest of the non-black tower, has (again, because of new spring) known for certainty for almost two decades.

:shrug:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

silvergoose posted:

I guess? But she, unlike the rest of the non-black tower, has (again, because of new spring) known for certainty for almost two decades.

:shrug:

Yes; known and kept absolutely secret for twenty years.

Suian isn't saying that she can't get used to the existence of the Black Ajah, she's saying that she can't get used to the idea of saying it out loud.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Yes; known and kept absolutely secret for twenty years.

Suian isn't saying that she can't get used to the existence of the Black Ajah, she's saying that she can't get used to the idea of saying it out loud.

Exactly. Her saying it out loud is an official admission that they exist, instead of the Black just being an open secret.

Edit: just wanted to add to the people that were saying this series isn't that popular. There is a 21 week wait to take out one of the 10 copies of Eye of the World audio book. That has 62 people currently in line.

Mage_Boy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 28, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I'm into the Brandon Sanderson books in these audiobooks and some of the dialogue scenes feel extremely jarring when read out loud. Stuff like this:

quote:

"Something something," he said.
"Something else and such," she said.
"More words I like ale," he said.
"You're an oaf you idiot," she said

When you're reading it yourself you basically gloss over the he said/she said words while it informs you of who is talking, but when they're read aloud as part of a conversation they stand out so much.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Are you a regular audiobook listener, or are you trying out The Wheel of Time audiobooks on thread recommendation? I've been listening to audiobooks for, I guess, 25+ years now (my dad liked them and so I grew up with them) and I think hearing a narrator say "he said" is skipped over in my brain about as easily as when I read it on the page.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Up to Path of Daggers now and honestly I don’t find them as slow as I remember. Been pleasantly surprised.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The slower books are a lot less obnoxious when you weren't waiting multiple years for them to come out.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
When I first properly read the series(not counting reading the first few books as a kid) Winter's Heart was the latest book out. I waited like 1½ years for Crossroads of Twilight.

I was not happy with it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Colonel Cool posted:

The slower books are a lot less obnoxious when you weren't waiting multiple years for them to come out.

Also when you know what happens when, it makes it less awful to scrape through chapters where Elayne, Nynaeve, and Birgitte have hair-tugging conversations that don't really advance the plot at all.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Vavrek posted:

Are you a regular audiobook listener, or are you trying out The Wheel of Time audiobooks on thread recommendation? I've been listening to audiobooks for, I guess, 25+ years now (my dad liked them and so I grew up with them) and I think hearing a narrator say "he said" is skipped over in my brain about as easily as when I read it on the page.

First time, and I only started to notice it in the Sanderson books. Either I'm only just now noticing it or Jordan took effort to avoid those exchanges/switch up the words.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pleads posted:

First time, and I only started to notice it in the Sanderson books. Either I'm only just now noticing it or Jordan took effort to avoid those exchanges/switch up the words.

I noticed it when I was reading it in text. Mostly because I was taking note of how different Sanderson's staccato style was from Jordan's characters who talk in multi-page paragraphs (with an "Also, " leading from the topic of the first half to the topic of the second half while the other characters are presumably sitting around rolling their eyes and making "get on with it" gestures)

Sanderson has a much higher ratio of "he/she ['said' or some synonym of it]" to sentences of dialogue

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

In fact, often that eye rolling is specifically mentioned! Mostly by Mat or Elayne, though.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Path of Daggers was much better than I remembered. Pacing was really good throughout, and everyone’s plot had actual momentum. The lack of Mat didn’t really bother me because nothing the other characters were doing could have been mirrored in his arc.

Starting Winters Heart now, and I remember this being a slog until the end. 86 page prologue...

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Colonel Cool posted:

When I first came to the series, there were ten books out. Books 7, 8, 9 work a lot better as the middle of a fifteen book series than as the ending of a ten book series. Book 10 is a failed experiment, but I respect experimentation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Still weird to me that (AMoL spoiler) Demandred convinced the entire nation of Shara to just up and join the shadow, fighting alongside trollocs and poo poo..

I like to think that the whole nation of shara was something Ishamael set up during one of his free times though

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Still weird to me that (AMoL spoiler) Demandred convinced the entire nation of Shara to just up and join the shadow, fighting alongside trollocs and poo poo..

I like to think that the whole nation of shara was something Ishamael set up during one of his free times though

It makes a kind of sense given what we know of Shara.

In the Jordan books, Shara was depicted as a vast authoritarian monoculture with tight information controls, whose population was purposefully kept almost entirely ignorant of the outside world. Sharans refused to admit that they had ever been invaded by any foreign power, despite the fact that we know that they fought off a Trolloc invasion during the Trolloc Wars and Artur Hawkwing's fleet; the average Sharan may have literally no knowledge of what Trollocs or the Shadow are. The Ayyad channelers who secretly rule Shara live in seclusion and have no contact with the rest of the country except to relay their edicts by pretending to be the voice of the Sh'boan and Sh'botay. A huge segment of Sharan society were slaves, many of them in service to the dual crowns. Assuming Demandred managed to get in and suborn the Ayyad without anyone becoming wise to it, he'd have basically the entire country at his fingertips.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is also explicit that the Sharans didn't know they were allying with the Shadow until they arrived at the Last Battle - by which time they'd been quite thoroughly brought under Demandred's control.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I like that sequence somewhere in the later books where a character is in an inn or a market and a strange man is trying to sell silkworms and everyone is laughing in his face.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

I like that sequence somewhere in the later books where a character is in an inn or a market and a strange man is trying to sell silkworms and everyone is laughing in his face.

It...no it is the...the worm that makes the silk

Yeah, also that a seanchan walks by, is like "he's right, silk is from worms" and alivia freaks the gently caress out from the accent.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Duh, everyone knows that silk grows on trees :rolleye:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Of course if you were some overconfident white man, any caterpillar will do, so you'd introduce gypsy moths to the Americas.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/PodcastTsm/status/1211132707004198912/photo/1

That Cenn Buie does good work, I tell you

(rip the thatch)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 2, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't kept on this thread in a few dozen pages, but I recall people saying how "hand wavey magic doesn't work well with live action" and how this should be an anime, which I've always disagreed with. Just curious if those who subscribe to that mentality watched The Witcher and what you thought of the magic in it specifically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Sab669 posted:

I haven't kept on this thread in a few dozen pages, but I recall people saying how "hand wavey magic doesn't work well with live action" and how this should be an anime, which I've always disagreed with. Just curious if those who subscribe to that mentality watched The Witcher and what you thought of the magic in it specifically?
It's kinda hard for me to say where my tastes lie here. Like, thinking back to LOTR films, I really liked some of the subtle effects the wizards did, like Gandalf whipsering to the moth, using light to throw back the Nazgul's flying beasts near Gondor, and shielding against the Balrog. The showier stuff varied. Arwen chanting at the Bruinen and Saruman chanting to create a blizzard at Caradhras were neat, but Gandalf and Saruman fighting at orthanc using telekinesis seems cheesy and dull. As far as the Witcher goes, I only saw the first episode so far, but I liked how they portrayed Geralt's Aard in the Blavikan fight or Mousesack's shield at Cintra.

As far as WoT goes, it's a little tricky, because characters either have the power and can see weaves or they can't (with gender also playing a role). So directors can't show all the flowing weaves unless specifically filming from the POV of power attuned characters only, unless they punt on that aspect of the books entirely to make the show more flashy (at which point *shrug*). As far as effects go, again most of it could be done pretty subtly (mind control, clairvoyance, limited telekinesis), and some very flashy (gateways, "ASHAMAN KILL", etc).

There's a lot of good ways to do it, so naturally that means it's gonna end up looking like a live action dragonball Z show, doesn't it?