Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was reading a journal article about the dumbass soldier that tried to eat C4 to get high, and I have a followup question that google has failed me on, but maybe one of you know. Definitely idiot-adjacent.

The article mentioned that the first non-wartime case of RDX poisoning was in a 3 year old. How in the hell did a 3 year old eat RDX? I haven't been able to find anything on how, exactly, that baffling set of circumstances actually happened, only the aftermath of "kid had a big ol' seizure".

I know I'm a bit behind but earlier today I was catching up on this thread...and tonight I'm reading 13th Valley (Vietnam novel) and in one of those weird coincidences

quote:

“Somebody said if you ate it, you’d either get high as a kite or sick as a dog. So I ate it.”
“Just blow the fucken claymore. You got movement out there? Blow the fucken claymore.”
“I can’t. There aint no C-4 in it.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't think he's even gotten a lawyer yet because he also found out his mom has cancer

I talked to the man the other day. He's got a lawyer. He's gonna be good. His wife is cracked the gently caress out and apparently incredibly stupid to boot when it comes to the whole kidnapping thing. Fingers crossed, but it should pan out. Didn't know about his mom's, drat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't think he's even gotten a lawyer yet because he also found out his mom has cancer

He really does have terrible luck :/

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Memento posted:

33 was one of the best episodes of television I've ever seen

Amen

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CainFortea posted:

There's dumb, then there's all along the watchtowers dumb.

That was the best kind of entertaining dumb. It was an awesome moment of television. Then we had a week until the next episode to think about it and... don't do that, it ruins the fun.

33 rules.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Don't think I've shared these ones before:

Good ol MCMAP, I thoroughly enjoyed instructing. Was doing a 3v1 against two of my new guys and one experienced. The whole idea was presenting the idea of a clusterfuck and conserving energy when outnumbered and passing attention to your surroundings on both sides of the engagement.

We take it to the ground, ball up, got two on me, and my smallest guy is just behind his comrades and gets super excited. Grabs an ankle that he thought was mine, and starts twisting hard. It's the other new guy, so one down due to not paying attention.

Now I can totally understand being lost in the moment, but the other thing was he just went balls out. Could've hurt someone bad had he not snapped out of it when the guy tapped violently and yelped.

Story 2:

In the sandbox with 96% of our detachment being reserves. They do ammo counts weekly. One guy gets the bright idea to put his name on all his rounds. In the lack of positive control of weapons, one dude forgets his magazines. He borrows mr round namers magazines to go out. They never reconcile ownership and weekly inspection occurs. Named rounds are found, and they assume dude that borrowed the magazines had named the rounds because he was going to off the other guy. Good times ensue as they have to explain wtf happened and why. This took all loving day because lol idiots, and the Plt Sgt was an oxygen thief of the highest order.

E: forgot the Company 1st Sgt was a big fan of mandatory PT on top of the bunker in full view and completely exposed.

That poo poo got shut down at our level, but she still did it for a bit with her crew until she somehow got rotated out iirc. gently caress was that deployment dumb

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 29, 2019

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PathAsc posted:

Named rounds are found, and they assume dude that borrowed the magazines had named the rounds because he was going to off the other guy. Good times ensue as they have to explain wtf happened and why.

Honestly I'm just glad someone gave enough of a poo poo to dig into it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
How many rounds was this? Because after a while it must seem like he really wanted that mother fucker dead

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PathAsc posted:

Episode 1

this means, of course, that the entire cylon detection subplot was pointless

he already had a cylon detector

in his pants

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tunicate posted:

this means, of course, that the entire cylon detection subplot was pointless

he already had a cylon detector

in his pants

Yeah a single Cylon chick who liked it from behind would have blown their entire plan

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah a single Cylon chick who liked it from behind would have blown their entire plan

The spines stopped lighting up during sex almost immediately in the series conveniently or got tied to truly being in love/ able to make a kids with a human if memory serves

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Stravag posted:

The spines stopped lighting up during sex almost immediately in the series conveniently

It was a firmware patch.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Milo and POTUS posted:

How many rounds was this? Because after a while it must seem like he really wanted that mother fucker dead

Every goddamn one in every magazine. He ended up scrubbing them all off. I want to say we all deployed with six mags, so 180 rounds. It was a long weekend for dude.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Godholio posted:

Honestly I'm just glad someone gave enough of a poo poo to dig into it.

This is the same guy that *needed* to smell the bore of my rifle to make sure I didn't shoot at a bus in TQ while I was in mortaritaville for a week.

He was loving stupid.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

PathAsc posted:

This is the same guy that *needed* to smell the bore of my rifle to make sure I didn't shoot at a bus in TQ while I was in mortaritaville for a week.

He was loving stupid.

Why you coming home, five in the morn'? Somethings going on.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stravag posted:

The spines stopped lighting up during sex almost immediately in the series conveniently or got tied to truly being in love/ able to make a kids with a human if memory serves

IIRC it got written out because they realized it was stupid almost immediately and afterwards they told everyone to just ignore it.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I never really got what made someone who could apparently not be detected with a medical test and also have viable offspring with a human a robot

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

aphid_licker posted:

I never really got what made someone who could apparently not be detected with a medical test and also have viable offspring with a human a robot
Neither did the writers

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Is contractor idiocy fair game? Found in the OSHA thread:

-Zydeco- posted:

Got one from my work.

I'm in Afghanistan overseeing generator overhaul contractors through some local national safety guys. Just after Christmas one of our contractors needed to move a generator across their shop yard. They did this by renting a lovely undersized crane, planning nothing, documenting nothing, providing no secure footing under the crane, and then physically dragging the generator sideways across the yard with the crane using I think the hoist point on the engine block in the generator housing.

Even dragging the generator sideways they still had enough force on the crane to cause to to twist enough that the outside outriggers were unloading and the outside tires started twisting off the ground.

I sent the contractor and asked them to please never do that again and I got an apology/non-apology that included the following items.

Crane operator not wearing a hard hat while leaning out of the cab with the door open and the boom up:
"The crane operator doesn't need a hard hat because there was no overhead threat since the crane was so badly underrated that it couldn't actually lift the load overhead."

In regards to the report that our safety guys sent.
"Yes the crane was dangerously unstable, but why didn't your safety guys stop us? Isn't that his job? Also, he quoted the wrong safety regulation telling us that cranes must be operated on stable footing. We think you need to train them better."
(I did ask my guy to never do take pictures like this again or at least take them from across the street or anywhere but close to this poo poo)

We have a firm fixed price contract stating that the contractor SHALL comply with all included safety regulations with a crisp contractor signature right at the top and price negotiations took several months.
"if we make our Afghan subcontractors conform to the these safety requirements it will raise the cost of the contract!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Oddly enough, the play that coined the word "robot" envisioned them as being artifically-produced humanoids like the Cylons in BSG. I have no idea if this was deliberate though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is contractor idiocy fair game? Found in the OSHA thread:

Hell yes it is. Especially since it's in the 'stan

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

PathAsc posted:

Hell yes it is. Especially since it's in the 'stan

Hey guys lets "secure" an area, build a bunch of schools, and then move most of the NATO troops out so the area becomes so unstable no one's sending their kids to school, then the ANA or ANP sets up base in the school, then the school gets destroyed by the Taliban.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hey guys lets "secure" an area, build a bunch of schools, and then move most of the NATO troops out so the area becomes so unstable no one's sending their kids to school, then the ANA or ANP sets up base in the school, then the school gets destroyed by the Taliban.

Progress! :downs:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

piL posted:

I appreciated this :lol: LET ME SMELL YO CLIP

Did the Afghan paper trove ever get linked here? NYT articles on it are definitely worth reading, hopefully they make you go 'I feel less guilt knowing that I did my best and acted with honor when sent into an unwinnable situation' instead of 'WHAT THE gently caress DID I LOSE THREE SPOUSES AND TWELVE SQUAD MATES FOR THEN'.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, that’s about the time where Duffelblog wrote their most factual article to date. It’s the most bitter satire I’ve ever read, because the only satire in the entire article was in the headline.

https://www.duffelblog.com/2019/12/the-first-casualty-is-your-sanity/

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Can't make profit on schools, duh

:capitalism:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

PathAsc posted:

Can't make profit on public schools, duh

:capitalism:

Fixed

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

piL posted:

This isn’t getting enough love

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

piL posted:

This is gold

:five:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

CBC posted:

"Plse advise the Commissionaires that apparently Fort Frontenac is both a PokeGym and a PokeStop. I will be completely honest in that I have not idea what that is," wrote Maj. Jeff Monaghan at CFB Kingston.

"The game's premise seems to be going to the 'PokeStops/Gyms' to collect 'Pokemon's' (we should almost hire a 12-year-old to help us out with this) of which we were able to find 5 of these things on the range road itself," wrote security expert David Levenick at CFB Borden, Ont.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/pokemon-canada-military-bases-1.5393774

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

My favourite bit:

quote:

When a man was stopped on CFB Borden, documents show he was playing Pokemon Go and told officers "I have to beat my kids [get more points]."

Phrasing, dude!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The amazing thing is that they seem to have dealt with this in a rational and even potentially productive fashion. Asking the developer to move the point to a military museum to bolster attendance is a great idea.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
In contrast the US military plastered fliers on every door saying that you aren't allowed to play Pokémon Go on base.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Reminder that a helicopter aircrew got in trouble because they used their helicopter to hit up the locations around their base’s PX

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

A Bad Poster posted:

In contrast the US military plastered fliers on every door saying that you aren't allowed to play Pokémon Go on base.

Because idiots were using their phones where they shouldn't.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Or fitness trackers that had built in GPS.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Phones are not restricted in the center of the pentagon.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I just thought it would be funny to see 12 year olds and 37 year old neckbeards trying to get in to get that fat bear thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Memento posted:

I just thought it would be funny to see 12 year olds and 37 year old neckbeards trying to get in to get that fat bear thing

His name is Snorlax and he doesn't need your respect. He don't pay no man no mind...