Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Here in Georgia they have BBQ places that serve the meat bare and at your table there's like 5 different sauce bottles. Usually it's vinegar, mustard, tomato, sweet, and hot. One of the few decent things about the state, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Empty Sandwich posted:

Another one bragged that TX is such a big market, they make Texas-shaped Doritos. My brother said, "Hell, all the others are shaped like South Carolina."

I really don't get the barbecue anger, though. Half of NC ready to fight the other half over what condiment they put on what part of the pig. :pigoff:

NC barbecue is so good. Any goons who are in the area, you’ve gotta try Parker’s in Wilson, NC. It looks like a goddamn hospital cafeteria but the food is so good. It’s what got me hooked on that whole vinegar BBQ sauce.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Empty Sandwich posted:

a Texan kept giving my brother poo poo about the existence of pork barbecue, and he'd always just respond that it's delicious, much as beef barbecue is also delicious.

I totally get that people are passionate about their local foods, that’s why we have this thread. But I don’t understand why that means you also have to poo poo on stuff that isn’t from your region. I totally want to know what other people are passionate about just like I am about fish fry or whatever

Guess what we can enjoy all kinds of smoked meats and pizza types!! Mind blown

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
It's always good to poo poo on Texas. And Texans.

I got the hankerin' and picked up some cheese curds. Still fresh, still wet, still squeaky.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I got the hankerin' and picked up some cheese curds. Still fresh, still wet, still squeaky.

You need some fries and gravy to truly enjoy those.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
We can all poo poo on Alabama white sauce, right?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

RocktheCaulk posted:

We can all poo poo on Alabama white sauce, right?

poo poo on anything Alabama. They're god's blind spot. They're number 50 in education so I doubt they can read what you say.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I tried these on a trip to Wisconsin and I just didn't get it. They tasted like mild cheddar. I think real finished cheddar is a lot nicer. I bet they are great deep fried, though. Also, they put bratwurst on everything. The bratwurst-on-hamburgers were great drunk food.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Empty Sandwich posted:

:

shrimp and grits: this has within the last 40 years become the defining Charleston specialty, which is kind of weird bc before that, it was (like hoppin' john) poor-people food. it got bougified in the early 80s by someone who was working in NC and word spread

In colonial New England lobster was regarded as such poverty food that you would actually try to hide the fact that you were eating it because it was so embarrasing

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

The Dregs posted:

I tried these on a trip to Wisconsin and I just didn't get it. They tasted like mild cheddar. I think real finished cheddar is a lot nicer. I bet they are great deep fried, though. Also, they put bratwurst on everything. The bratwurst-on-hamburgers were great drunk food.

You might have had some old curds or some mediocre curds. Fresh curds have a rubbery texture that makes them more toothsome than regular cheese, and will be much saltier. I've had curds from some places that I straight up didn't like. The great thing is that there is a cheese factory in every po-dunk town in Wisconsin so there isn't a lack of options.

You might also just not like cheese curds, no biggie.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks to this thread I know that local speciality foods in Wisconsin are Danish pastries and German sausages.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

In colonial New England lobster was regarded as such poverty food that you would actually try to hide the fact that you were eating it because it was so embarrasing

They’d literally bury the shells under cover of darkness, it was so over the top.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Empty Sandwich posted:

the only commercial source used to be a guy as famous for his pro-slavery stance as his chain of mediocre restaurants, but there are others now.

Kenny rogers?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

not a bot posted:

Thanks to this thread I know that local speciality foods in Wisconsin are Danish pastries and German sausages.

It's still interesting to know regional food traditions, even if they didn't 100% invent the dishes.

*Edit* Melbourne Australia... I dunno, coffee? Vietnamese food? Souvlaki?

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 29, 2019

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kenny rogers?

nah, some rear end in a top hat in Columbia.

is it in fact the wood that makes it good at Kenny's?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Whooping Crabs posted:

You might have had some old curds or some mediocre curds. Fresh curds have a rubbery texture that makes them more toothsome than regular cheese, and will be much saltier. I've had curds from some places that I straight up didn't like. The great thing is that there is a cheese factory in every po-dunk town in Wisconsin so there isn't a lack of options.

You might also just not like cheese curds, no biggie.

Nope, they had all that. They weren't bad, really. It's just that good cheddar is better. Your brats are great, though.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

not a bot posted:

I don't know if you've ever heard this or not, but lots of white European people settled the united states way back when...

If you want something that's not directly from an immigrant community, then how about those cheese curds? old fashioneds? hell, butter burgers, fish fry, hot ham and rolls, frozen custard, cannibal sandwiches?

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

EoinCannon posted:

It's still interesting to know regional food traditions, even if they didn't 100% invent the dishes.

*Edit* Melbourne Australia... I dunno, coffee? Vietnamese food? Souvlaki?

Dim sim?

The phrase minimum chips cracks me up. Especially since "minimum" sounds like a native New Zealand word.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I can get locally made cheese curds from a few
farms and creameries around here in Ohio too, but what I've had in the Milwaukee area is way better imo.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Being a Northeastener learns you to be smug about pizza, general Italian fare, and sea food (especially lobsters and chowder).
But one thing that we take totally for granted apparently is bagels. Really good bagels and associated toppings.
Not until recently with a newer friend from Texas, and my foreign inlaws, has it really dawned on me that bagels are a local feature of quality.
I'm still skeptical that this is true.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

OK more Wisconsin things because I'm bored

Butter burgers: burgers made with butter in some way. The most famous place is Solly's in Glendale, an old diner. They put a thick rear end layer of soft butter on the cut side of the top bun. It slowly melts from the heat of the burger, and there's so much it makes a pool on the plate (this is in the photo). That's too much for most people (me included), so most places just put a pat of butter on the patty (Kopp's), or put a little extra on the bun when it's grilled (Culver's), etc.

Fish Fry: every Friday, pretty much every restaurant and bar serves fish fry, year round. This is a thing in some parts of the country during Lent, but it's year round here. Usual options are beer battered cod and breaded perch, though the real good places also have pan friend walleye and fried smelt. Always comes with fries or potato pancakes, cole slaw, rye bread and tartar sauce. Some restaurants have drive-thrus just for Friday fish fry. It's a Catholic no-meat-on-Fridays thing from long ago that just stuck here more than anyplace else.

Hot ham and rolls: Every bakery and grocery store sells hot sliced deli ham and rolls on Sunday mornings. This is another Catholic thing. They couldn't eat before church, so people wanted something right away after. Bakeries figured this out and sold hot sliced ham along with free hard rolls. Bakeries like Grebe's and Canfora still have the best. You buy a pound of ham, you get 6 fresh rolls for free. There will be lines out the door on Sunday morning. Most use Badger brand ham, made here in Milwaukee.

Supper clubs: This isn't a food, but a very specific type of restaurant and bar all over Wisconsin, mostly in rural areas. Many started around mid-century or earlier, and they were places you'd go for the entire night, to eat, linger, drink and sometimes entertainment like lounge singers or whatever. Today, they are usually delightfully retro because they've been around forever and are super down-to-earth. The menu is usually prime rib and steaks, seafood, broasted chicken, and things like fish fry and relish trays. Many have ice cream drinks like grasshoppers and pink squirrels (invented at Bryant's Cocktail Lounge in Milwaukee, along with the blue tail fly) and all have great old fashioneds. They're the kind of place where your steak comes with a potato, salad, soup, relish tray and basket of cinnamon rolls, crackers and cheese spread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Supper clubs seem kinda fun in an old timey nostalgic way but they seem like they'd be the gateway to key parties and swinger clubs when the 70s rolled around

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Culvers just opened up not too far from here and I can confirm they have some legit burgs.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Supper clubs seem kinda fun in an old timey nostalgic way but they seem like they'd be the gateway to key parties and swinger clubs when the 70s rolled around

Oh that's EXACTLY what they were, homie.

And they still own.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Dregs posted:

Culvers just opened up not too far from here and I can confirm they have some legit burgs.

they are definitely one of the best fast food burgs. the custard is all right if there's no other custard around. get the cheese curds next time

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I reckon other places don’t have a shop or cart selling elote at every corner. Heck we even have elote in our ice cream trucks which are also kind of ubiquitous. Many different ways to make it but imo proper elotes gonna be corn, sweet mayo, cheese, chile powder and lime. Butter, garlic and salt are optional. I’ve had some bad ones but for the most part it’s hard to gently caress up and makes a good holiday dish

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Les Os posted:

I reckon other places don’t have a shop or cart selling elote at every corner. Heck we even have elote in our ice cream trucks which are also kind of ubiquitous. Many different ways to make it but imo proper elotes gonna be corn, sweet mayo, cheese, chile powder and lime. Butter, garlic and salt are optional. I’ve had some bad ones but for the most part it’s hard to gently caress up and makes a good holiday dish

Lime mayo, chili powder, lemon juice, and parmesan is the true way

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

CannonFodder posted:

Low country refers to the coastal plain, where the rivers are slow and wide. In SC, high country near the Appalachian Mountains is called Upstate. I have no idea of any regional foods in the area aside from chow chow.
There has been a resurgence of a rice known as Carolina Gold. It's based on the rice brought by slaves from West Africa.

Carolina Gold is loving amazing, as is low-country BBQ.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

OK more Wisconsin things because I'm bored

Supper clubs: This isn't a food, but a very specific type of restaurant and bar all over Wisconsin, mostly in rural areas. Many started around mid-century or earlier, and they were places you'd go for the entire night, to eat, linger, drink and sometimes entertainment like lounge singers or whatever. Today, they are usually delightfully retro because they've been around forever and are super down-to-earth. The menu is usually prime rib and steaks, seafood, broasted chicken, and things like fish fry and relish trays. Many have ice cream drinks like grasshoppers and pink squirrels (invented at Bryant's Cocktail Lounge in Milwaukee, along with the blue tail fly) and all have great old fashioneds. They're the kind of place where your steak comes with a potato, salad, soup, relish tray and basket of cinnamon rolls, crackers and cheese spread.

My wife went nuts over the supper clubs in Wisconsin; we have one near Philadelphia - The Pub, off of the old Airport Circle in Camden/Pennsauken. Amazing steaks & prime rib cooked on open fire pits; old-time salad bar; big drinks in a 40s/50s atmosphere. They make everything on-premises, Amazing experience.

http://www.thepubnj.com/dinnermenu.html

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 29, 2019

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Culver's fried cheese curds is probably the single best fast food item anywhere.

Zeinin
May 7, 2003

Meatwolfe posted:

Montreal smoked meat.

I can confirm that this meat is important. You get these sandwiches that are so full they look like bisected Ramiels made out of bread and smoked meat. It's good as hell.

Also they just call it smoked meat. It's not pastrami. It's smoked meat.

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
I wish California had good food.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

same but people

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Same but male prostitutes

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Empty Sandwich posted:

somebody already covered hoppin' John, but since Carolina Gold and Sean Brock got mentioned above, reading his recipe fixed this dish for me. making it with cow peas and CG rice makes a delicious thing that's not the weird mush it normally is
Hoppin Johnbalaya is really good too. Cajun sausage in addition to or instead of the hamhock, throw in some chicken if you're feeling meaty, chicken or duck stock, cajun seasoning and hot sauce, then when the beans are nearly done infuse all the rice in the same broth as the beans. Top with BBQ shrimps if you want the kitchen sink version. Alternately you can also just do a slow cooker/rice cooker jamba and mix beans in but that's more of a beany jambalaya than a johnbalaya.

BBQ shrimps is one of the worst named dishes. They're shrimps pan fried in butter with cajun and/or creole seasoning. Don't ask.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

zedprime posted:

Hoppin Johnbalaya is really good too. Cajun sausage in addition to or instead of the hamhock, throw in some chicken if you're feeling meaty, chicken or duck stock, cajun seasoning and hot sauce, then when the beans are nearly done infuse all the rice in the same broth as the beans. Top with BBQ shrimps if you want the kitchen sink version. Alternately you can also just do a slow cooker/rice cooker jamba and mix beans in but that's more of a beany jambalaya than a johnbalaya.

BBQ shrimps is one of the worst named dishes. They're shrimps pan fried in butter with cajun and/or creole seasoning. Don't ask.

daaaaaaamn... gonna give it a shot

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

zedprime posted:

definitely ask, because they're loving delicious. I do Prudhomme's version: http://casualkitchen.blogspot.com/2007/02/most-glorious-meal-so-far-this-year.html

You can cut down on the butter a bit if you want. Eat with lots of bread to soak up the sauce.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

i moved to minnesota a few years ago and nobody has been able to explain to me what "hot dish" is the same way twice. it's just something goopy + tater tots in a casserole dish right?? im pretty sure that's what hot dish is and it's a midwestern thing. i've also had to explain to friends visiting from LA what cheese curds are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

meat glitter posted:

i moved to minnesota a few years ago and nobody has been able to explain to me what "hot dish" is the same way twice. it's just something goopy + tater tots in a casserole dish right?? im pretty sure that's what hot dish is and it's a midwestern thing. i've also had to explain to friends visiting from LA what cheese curds are.

hotdish just means a baked casserole. often they include tator tots, but definitely not always. and it's really specifically a Minnesota thing.