Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: SC and SQ42 are the most complex games ever made, and plenty of way simpler games by massive established studios have taken as long. Grow up and learn some patience, some things are worth the wait. Go and play ED so you can see what a game done quickly gets you.[/i]
LHC was built in ten years.

Cataxxe edit: space cat, I guess

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

DigitalPenny posted:

Cashing out !! How did this rumour escape our attention??

Uhhh what??? Where'd this come from?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Brings up a good point. In PvP, couldn't the player who's being targeted by another player just turn off the game and prevent the other from getting their "bounty" or robbing them or whatever?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oh dear, combat logging in SC... the salt will flow.

I remember when some ED PvPers said they would play SC instead of ED because CR would implement magical tech to stop people combat logging.

Still, consdiering its SC, i'm just as inclined to beleive that they target's game just crashed.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dynastocles posted:

Brings up a good point. In PvP, couldn't the player who's being targeted by another player just turn off the game and prevent the other from getting their "bounty" or robbing them or whatever?

Why quit when you can just crash to desktop?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Quavers posted:

:reddit: EU servers are full.
Just had to join USA server as keeps saying EU is full.

This this is an MMO. It is very real and also a game*

ponzioptions
Nov 10, 2006

provide faster nudity
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an ask SC questions thread?
Did people give that man hundreds of millions to create a Simspace x Orion and he is creating a Doom to mess with them? Are they afraid of him? Is the money kept as a hostage not to upset the master? Is there any money? Was this some sort of ruse to get the old man to hangout with celebrities? I'm puzzled without a spaceship

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mailer posted:

Coming relatively late to watching this project, like a motorist slowing down to watch a crash scene, I'm still a bit fuzzy on the history here. I thought (from reading posts) that CIG just threw up a "what would YOU like to see in SC?" post like any other dev would just to keep up the pretense of interacting with the community. Then reddit decided this actually constituted a legally binding vote and therefore it is the citizens to blame for the "required" scope increase. Did the crobbler ever actually point to that dumb poll as the reason for delaying the game indefinitely?

It's seriously hard to follow a narrative when it's constantly being rewritten.

This is accurate. The poll was, do we keep doing features and around 7% of the backers at that point voted to keep going. The various idiots with sunk cost fallacy now claim that changed the scope of everything.

Weirdly, they really seem to be okay with a contractual relationship that is constantly changing on the vendor side.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

I liked how one of the stretch goals was to make their own mo-cap studio but as soon as Chris got the money, he raced off to a top Hollywood level facility to do it in.

Also, what I'm interested in for those who have followed this from the start. At the time of the Hollywood actors cast be announced, and Mae Demming Sandi Gardiner being announced in it as well. Where Chris and Sandi being open about their relationship?

Serkis’s facility. I suspect Chris was hoping to hob nob, or get a contra for helping out the struggling mocap outfit.

Back when Serkis was building his studio, the technique was already hitting commodity processes. Swing and a miss for a custom facility.

Edit: Imaginarium went into receivership in 2017.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2019

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

The most complex games ever made.

Not a game and not even a complex scam.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ponzioptions posted:

Did people give that man hundreds of millions to create a Simspace x Orion and he is creating a Doom to mess with them? Are they afraid of him? Is the money kept as a hostage not to upset the master? Is there any money? Was this some sort of ruse to get the old man to hangout with celebrities? I'm puzzled without a spaceship

No.
No, but that’s the way it’s going.
More a hero worship based on nostalgia.
The money has been spent.
There’s some left, but enough to finish one of the two games? Probably not.
Almost certainly, because they did all the fun stuff up front, if you assume a partnership between a fading almost-director and a so-so actress.
You can buy in for a relatively small amount, but there are enough of us backers already lying on the grenade for people’s amusement. Frankly it’s just lumpy and annoying.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Hav posted:

Weirdly, they really seem to be okay with a contractual relationship that is constantly changing on the vendor side.

When reading that SC thread in the Gamestar forum I got the impression that this mainly because of two reasons:

a) Chris knows what's best for them
b) Chris does things they didn't know they wanted

Also, they use the amount of money sunk as a measure of success, so in their book CIG is doing everything right and owes nothing to the backers, so they can change things as they see fit and if you don't like it, leave.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
It's simple enough you fudster goons. Success is measured by how much money is taken in each year, so if we keep giving them money they become more and more successful.

You don't understand game development.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

ponzioptions posted:

Why don't you buy a spaceship and find out? After all this space circus can't keep up unless people buy more spaceships. Just remember that the 45$ ship is crap. If you want to experience the verse you need to buy a 250$ combat ship at least and also a 100$ mining ship if you want to mine asteroids.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Sandweed posted:

Why don't you buy a spaceship and find out? After all this space circus can't keep up unless people buy more spaceships. Just remember that the 45$ ship is crap. If you want to experience the verse you need to buy a 250$ combat ship at least and also a 100$ mining ship if you want to mine asteroids.

but you need to be in the whale club to be able to "criticize" the game, so that's $1000+

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

His ship lost power because CIG did something weird with the power and cooling system where if you overheat your ship, your power reactor turns off and you are dead in the water until it cools off and you can turn it back on. In most combat situations this means you instantly die.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Nalin posted:

His ship lost power because CIG did something weird with the power and cooling system where if you overheat your ship, your power reactor turns off and you are dead in the water until it cools off and you can turn it back on. In most combat situations this means you instantly die.

This can't be true

:crobear:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It's like overheating your mech in MechWarrior, except it lasts longer and your shields go away and then you have to do the cockpit startup sequence all over again. Imagine overheating in MechWarrior during a fight and suddenly losing all your armor. You die instantly.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Nalin posted:

It's like overheating your mech in MechWarrior, except it lasts longer and your shields go away and then you have to do the cockpit startup sequence all over again. Imagine overheating in MechWarrior during a fight and suddenly losing all your armor. You die instantly.

And in any other game, it would be called out for the lovely mechanic it is

But in Cult Land, it's *~immersive~* and well worth the six years in "development"

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Also lmao:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen/posts/447699

Back SotA, Get a Crossbow in Star Citizen! posted:

Cloud Imperium Games Corporation
April 6, 2013

Attention Citizens,

Breaking news! You heard earlier today that Richard Garriott’s Shroud of the Avatar will feature an item designed by Chris Roberts useable in-game… and we’ve decided to return the favor! If you back both Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar at the $40 Adventurer level or higher, we’ll give your pilot in Star Citizen a powerful crossbow straight out of Richard’s new world… perfect for providing an extra-lethal punch during boarding actions. The Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter campaign ends in just twelve hours, so make your pledge NOW!

If you would like to pledge via Paypal you can do so here.

Weapon Description:

Iolo Industries Armor-Piercing Crossbow

Some things never go out of style, and the Iolo Crossbow is proof: an elegant weapon that has proved itself capable of repelling boarders effectively time and again over the centuries. It stands well above laser sidearms in terms of armor penetration, the ideal weapon for anyone needing to blast through two inches of plasteel space armor. Designed and hanf-crafted by David Watson, these rare crossbows are prized by pilots for their reliability and their low level of required maintenance. This weapon is an exact replica of the one created for Richard “Lord British” Garriott’s Shroud of the Avatar so you can arm your character with it in both universes!

Damage: 2 cm / bolt (+3 against armor)

Reload: .5 seconds

Effective Range: 500 meters

UEE Restriction: RED

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Web Madness posted:

I think you’re talking about this video(?)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOhjPtMZdE

It’s hard to believe that nearly 6 years later it’s still “early days” :aaaaa:

Okay, 2 things

1- holy poo poo, those people almost sound like they're actually making a video game

2- but they apparently don't know what they're doing, because that woman in the mocap scene has her nose stud in. When you do mocap you take out all your piercings, but especially any studs that are gonna be constantly reflecting light

Lmao

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

As if Chris cares anymore about original Kickstarter backers. The few left and still buying poo poo could find out tomorrow that CR is the reincarnation of Hitler, syphoning money via crowdfunding to build a fleet of flying saucers, planning to attack the free world from his base on the Southpole and they would still buy a Mining ship or whatever the newest hype is in SC land. The majority is probably disillusioned and therefore won't burn more money and is therefore completely irrelevant to CIG. Only new money.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I love that Kickstarter the company does not give one poo poo about what happened to Star Citizen. They got their cut and now it's all on Chris to deliver.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kickstarter is the sleaziest loving poo poo.

After Early Access on steam and whatever the other sites are (Fig? GoFuckMe?)

sleazier than patreon though, where artists go to complain people don't pay them as much when they don't update during their vacation

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: Compilation: Becoming a Star "Citizen"

https://streamable.com/5hvyi

:lol:

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

awesome sauce

best mocap session of this decade

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Strangler 42 posted:

I love that Kickstarter the company does not give one poo poo about what happened to Star Citizen. They got their cut and now it's all on Chris to deliver.

Estimated delivery Nov 2014

In general, that Kickstarter page is gold. Haven't looked at it for ages.

So, where is:
- VR support?
- HOTAS, flight chair (lol), rudder pedals support?
- The vast 1km long carrier?
- 10X the detail of current AAA games?
- 100s of sub-components, many of them moving and articulating just like they would in the “real” world?
- Star Citizen will take advantage of your extra processor cores? Non-existent optimization doesn't count, btw.

Reading this stuff, I feel a bit of shame that I've backed this. Sure, I grew older, but sentences like "And that hero is you, the unappreciated PC gamer. The ignored Space Sim fan." or "Instead of taking this prototype to a publisher for a green light, we are cutting out the middleman and taking it to you." should have raised a red flag for me. In retrospective, this whole thing is an absolute trainwreck built on lies from start to finish.

edit:

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 30, 2019

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Arrakisdef needs to realize that Chris Roberts as absolved himself of that so he is not to blame.

Now hard is that to understand?

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Kosumo posted:

Arrakisdef needs to realize that Chris Roberts as absolved himself of that so he is not to blame.

Now hard is that to understand?

Hey, the BACKERS voted in „that poll“ with OVERWHELMINGLY results to get more features and allow CIG all time and resources they need to build the BDSSE ! Don’t blame Chris! We PC gamers are so lucky to have his VISION!

This is the essence of all german Cultist answers in Gamestar, PC Games and Gaming forums.
Was für ein Haufen von Vollidioten as we say in german to dumb and ignorant people.

Funnily, calling Chris Roberts a LIAR technically is the TRUTH, but gets you banned in all forums where sunk cost galaxy people are mods, despite all proof of his lies the last years.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

what the gently caress even is in 3.8 other than an empty planet, another ship for you to buy and an insane amount of bugs that make the game literally unplayable?
what's wrong with Citizens, seriously

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Inacio posted:

what the gently caress even is in 3.8 other than an empty planet, another ship for you to buy and an insane amount of bugs that make the game literally unplayable?

they made the jump times shorter, which i guess is massive progress in pain reduction

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

they made the jump times shorter, which i guess is massive progress in pain reduction

fair enough, that unironically was a gigantic improvement

e: naturally Citizens got super pissed at it, but still.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/qt-times-so-when-can-we-expect-just-portals-insted

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Inacio posted:

Oh, that’s easy to answer : They missed the refund window and believe spending more money brings us closer to a release.

Well, mea culpa, I always forget SC already is a game you can play.
😂

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I know I'm speaking to the choir, kinda have too since the whales will keep a whalin' and reject this immediately, but loving hell... I don't understand the "super advanced tech" that the uber quantum-engineers at CIg are not at all implementing that's "never been done before". So many actual, released games of the genre have already done it... you just need to take your dysfunctional head out of the sand to acknowledge it. The shitload of systems/planets/moons/worlds, the ships, ship customization, dynamic economies, whatever. Not the first time I plug it here but try Evochron Mercenary or Evochron Legacy from like a decade or so ago to see how good this was all implemented well before Chris thought he could make games again. An amazing oldie in which you can (gasp!) fly straight from deep space to a planet's atmosphere with no loading screen or transition, it's all in the same world and it's not freaking black magic.

Same for the "never before seen" graphical fidelity that's put to shame by so many actual games released more than half a decade ago. I'm not a big gamer myself but every now and then I'll fire up GTA V on PC and it still blows my mind how good it looks with everything maxed out. Skyrim with the right mods puts SC to shame. So many first person shooters that I'll never play but see images pass by here and there have surpassed their poo poo a long time ago. Hell, I installed Crysis last year just to see how it actually looks when your computer can run it at ultra (couldn't even dream of doing that the last time I played it) and it still beat the screens I see coming out of SC, and that's CryEngine 1 (unless I'm mistaken?).

This thread is shock full of teasers and screens from current or past games that make SC look several generations old, maybe a PS3 game if that.

Beating a dead horse here but why in the world would you give a loving dime to this shitshow of a scam?

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 31, 2019

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Inacio posted:

fair enough, that unironically was a gigantic improvement

e: naturally Citizens got super pissed at it, but still.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/4/thread/qt-times-so-when-can-we-expect-just-portals-insted

:shepspends: Actually I think the travel times should be even more realistic. A trip from Olisar to A18 should take us at least two-three hours. I don't want to be able to do more than a mission per week because that ruins my immersion

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Quavers posted:

:shepspends: Actually I think the travel times should be even more realistic. A trip from Olisar to A18 should take us at least two-three hours. I don't want to be able to do more than a mission per week because that ruins my immersion

I want to die in real life if my in-game character dies.

Immersion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

check username