Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
I thought tonight was going to be different, T.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

This strip ruins me. The first time I read it, I realized that I'm well past the point in my life where "Road trip, no plans, we leave in five minutes" is feasible.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
The older I get the more I realize that element of Achewood isn't about youth so much as it is about being friends with a rich guy, and I feel slightly it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

The older I get the more I realize that element of Achewood isn't about youth so much as it is about being friends with a rich guy, and I feel slightly it.

I feel this. I read Achewood as a barely teenage kid, and through that lens a lot of Ray's exploits seemed like they were about some idyllic freedom you have in adulthood, you know, when you have a car and resources and you can do what you like with your friends. Open a bar! Throw a party! Who cares!

It is absolutely not that, it's about being friends with a guy who can afford Ketel One and a Cadillac and has a spare house you can live in if you're feeling low. The tone is definitely sadder in retrospect.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
Yeah, it’s clearly Onstad’s wish fulfillment re: “What kind of parties would I throw and what kind of food would I eat daily if I had infinite money and infinite free time.”

Ray’s bottomless generosity with the wealth he stumbled into and complete fictionality keep him more sympathetic to me now then, say, Larry David on curb

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Yeah, it’s clearly Onstad’s wish fulfillment re: “What kind of parties would I throw and what kind of food would I eat daily if I had infinite money and infinite free time.”

Ray’s bottomless generosity with the wealth he stumbled into and complete fictionality keep him more sympathetic to me now then, say, Larry David on curb

Yup. Ray is the cool guy Onstad would want to be if he were rich, or maybe the cool guy Onstad wishes rich people actually were. Just wants all his friends to be happy and safe and that's how he fills his days, with maybe a little drinking/weed and Braveheart in his spare time. And even if it's total fantasy (even setting aside the fact that Ray is a comic cat, I mean), it's not hard to like that dude, 'cause he's a good dude.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Yup. Ray is the cool guy Onstad would want to be if he were rich, or maybe the cool guy Onstad wishes rich people actually were. Just wants all his friends to be happy and safe and that's how he fills his days, with maybe a little drinking/weed and Braveheart in his spare time. And even if it's total fantasy (even setting aside the fact that Ray is a comic cat, I mean), it's not hard to like that dude, 'cause he's a good dude.

Reading the blogs where Cornelius and Teodor fleeced Ray has me conflicted. On one hand, Ray isn't experiencing any financial hardship due to them, and he's clearly enjoying himself even though he loses. On the other, those guys come across as cynically taking advantage of Ray's dumbassed overconfidence.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Oh, neat! Fifty bucks!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pham Nuwen posted:

Reading the blogs where Cornelius and Teodor fleeced Ray has me conflicted. On one hand, Ray isn't experiencing any financial hardship due to them, and he's clearly enjoying himself even though he loses. On the other, those guys come across as cynically taking advantage of Ray's dumbassed overconfidence.

I like the part in Cornelius' blog where he briefly considers reading up on the results of the day's Olympic games so he could fleece Ray when betting on them, because Ray doesn't realize the competitions they show on TV all happened hours ago, but Cornelius decides against it and soon finds that Ray will bet hard against any country with green in its flag, which Cornelius is more than happy to take advantage of because it's more sporting.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO BUY?! SOME FUCKIN' RAD-rear end CAR TIRES!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Too bad Sun Tzu ain't got a chapter for when the enemy is yourself

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT TO BUY?! SOME FUCKIN' RAD-rear end CAR TIRES!

My car parts are on my car, by the way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well yeah the thing you gotta remember is that if Ray loses 60 bucks to you playing pool, he's gonna scratch the green and discover a lost erotic masterpiece by Titian beneath the surface that he then sells for 200 million dollars without actually trying.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

I can’t believe Taco Bell sodium came up and no one quotes “man I can’t buy a burrito from someone who’s done oral on me “

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jerusalem posted:

Well yeah the thing you gotta remember is that if Ray loses 60 bucks to you playing pool, he's gonna scratch the green and discover a lost erotic masterpiece by Titian beneath the surface that he then sells for 200 million dollars without actually trying.

If Ray's game touches some eggs the mother bird will kill the eggs

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Zefiel posted:

I can’t believe Taco Bell sodium came up and no one quotes “man I can’t buy a burrito from someone who’s done oral on me “

BURRITOLINGUS. NOUN. MEANS, EATING A BURRITO WITH THE MOUTH.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deathlove posted:

BURRITOLINGUS. NOUN. MEANS, EATING A BURRITO WITH THE MOUTH.

I love the exasperated "I am...so sorry..." Ray gives to an incredibly judgemental Teodor when that happens.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

davidspackage posted:

If Ray's game touches some eggs the mother bird will kill the eggs

Ray's game is a melted down chili pepper nailed to a board

(lol I got to "down" and my autocomplete had the rest)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
When I got into Achewood somewhere around my third consecutive post-college slump year, it was no small surprise to learn that Ketel One and Stella Artois really aren't that expensive.

Christian Brothers brandy is some cheap poo poo though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Yeah I once bought a bottle of Christian Brothers and was hell of disappointed.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Was about to forward this comic about paying attention to a friend for the last panel.

Completely forgot about the first panel and changed my mind. Perhaps I should change it again.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There are worse ways to get trashed for seven bucks, I guess. I also drank a lot of Blue Nun during that time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
Brandy is really lacking in acceptable midrange brands, compared to most other spirits.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Moe_Rahn posted:

There are worse ways to get trashed for seven bucks, I guess. I also drank a lot of Blue Nun during that time.

The wine so bad,it made the news!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Jet Jaguar posted:

Was about to forward this comic about paying attention to a friend for the last panel.

Completely forgot about the first panel and changed my mind. Perhaps I should change it again.
Forward the version that took Ray's dialogue and put it into the scene in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen where Mr Hyde just raped the Invisible Man to death

(man it sounds a lot worse when you type it out like that, you only see the invisible blood appear, you all know what I mean)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jet Jaguar posted:

Did you change your mind because you didn't think they could handle such an awesome first panel?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Dude you don't like Christian Brothers. What you like is that you're holding something the police will wrestle you for.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moe_Rahn posted:

When I got into Achewood somewhere around my third consecutive post-college slump year, it was no small surprise to learn that Ketel One and Stella Artois really aren't that expensive.

Christian Brothers brandy is some cheap poo poo though.

In the US Stella has a much higher end rep than it has in Europe. It used to be like the 4loko of beers in the UK.

I tried Stella because of achewood and was kind of dissapointed. Loves me some ketel one on the rocks though.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

All the bad booze works in character just fine. Ray is sold his soul rich, not classy rich. He's one of the good ones.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Ray Smuckles is a poor person's idea of a rich person.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Moe_Rahn posted:

He's not even that. He's the PG-13/light-R version of Richie Rich's dad.

There are entire generations of homeless people who have survived and thrived due to Ray's unwitting largesse, because he likes to hide vast sums of cash in weird places on his property and then forget he's done it. The hardscrabble working poor of Achewood County know that when the rubber hits the road, they can go poke around on the Smuckles estate until they find a low four digits in a plastic bag in a hollow tree or underneath brand-new sporting equipment or laboriously rolled up inside the hollow struts of a child's playset that has never been used by a child.

They also know that, like an edible animal that doesn't reproduce often, this is not an entirely renewable resource and cannot be relied upon. Somehow, though, when the need is highest, it keeps the wolves from your door.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
We should not be asking whether the world would be a worse place without the Smuckles foundation. We should be asking how it is that so much wealth was able to be amassed in the first place.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"I'm sorry, Ray," Teodor whispered as he marched his friend to the scaffold. "I just joined the DSA to meet girls, I never thought it would come to this."

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

"I'm sorry, Ray," Teodor whispered as he marched his friend to the scaffold. "I just joined the DSA to meet girls, I never thought it would come to this."

lol

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Moe_Rahn posted:

Pretty sure that's just Donald Trump

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jet Jaguar posted:

http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12132007

"I have hired a variety of men to create a certain sort of relationship with you" lmao

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I have a very particular set of men

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 minutes!
If ordinary people could commission the murder act on main perverts, the world would be a better place.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ONLY RAPISTS AND PEOPLE WHO USE VANS AS CARS SMOKE, RAYMOND.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How would you like to smoke...forever?