Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Nalin posted:

It's like overheating your mech in MechWarrior, except it lasts longer and your shields go away and then you have to do the cockpit startup sequence all over again. Imagine overheating in MechWarrior during a fight and suddenly losing all your armor. You die instantly.

It's better because the default Loadout will overheat doing normal takes like just Quantum traveling.

It's more exciting because the heat meter is obscure and gives you little warning.

It's more immersive because instead of hitting F to flush some coolant, or override and take some heat damage you have to stop open some awkward MFD muck around with a bunch of settings or just have the ship stop on you.

While I have never got the ship load thing to work, and I have no real other guns because I have not spent much on my he game, it dosent even look like you can look at items and predict what effect they will have on your heat.

From almost every angle it's the most half assed badly thought out implementation of heat they could have done. You would be hard pressed to make it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
YOUTUBE: Twerk calls 2019 “A Step in the Right Direction” for Star Citizen.

Come on, man. Get serious.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Star Citizen: Better luck next year

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
All the very best for 2020, you bitter, rage-filled, dsmart-sockpuppet haters!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Well..one step, sure.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Bofast posted:

I think Planescape Torment or some similar game had rat enemies that got smarter and more dangerous (to the point of casting spells?) the more there were in the same small area. I guess Citizens become dumber and/or more crazy the more of them there are in the same online forum?
Edit: old backers who woke up and left not included, of course
As an original backer who hasn't left, in my defense, I think I'm still in shock.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

enlightened citizen posted:

"with SOCS in game alongside that sexy Planet Tech v4 that the detractors have finally lost one of their final legs left to stand on"

It feels CI(G) really showed us our place with planet tech v4. You really cant compare it with v3 or godforbid v2. The game's progress is surely tripling every second.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

That's part of the great Star Citizen Illusion, and the presumption of success that surrounds this project like a miasma of poo poo.

Real games, ones that have gameplay, don't generally bother with lore until they know the game works. Think the original Warcraft. "But why is this happening? gently caress it, toss something together." Over time once you know you can make a game, you can think of the lore earlier on and weave it in

If you're a company that makes RPGs primarily lore might be really early on, or done in tandem with game dev.

But for CIG having truckloads of "lore" is a way of proving that, like the other game development companies, of course a game will come out. Otherwise why go through all the trouble? Same can be said for literally everything surrounding this dumpster fire, from the cinematics to the mystery "LTI" cribbed from other games but which has no definition, "mining" which implies the existence of a nonexistent crafting and economy system, and pretty much every loving ship JPEG they've shat out for the better part of a decade.

And the morons still paying Chris take all this poo poo at face value, as if he can make it all happen, despite literal decades of accumulated contrary evidence.

The rumour with Warcraft is that it was going to be a Warhammer fantasy licenced game and Games Workshop pulled out so they redid the lore aspects.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

A very deep authoritative voice can be compelling though, this is why chris sounds like pingu, because he gets everything wrong

Very true. Christopher Lee could have sold refrigerators to Eskimos or played Count Dooku in Star wars.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

UnknownTarget posted:

No it should be fine. Games use several tricks to approximate day traced lighting, which Cryengine is doubtlessly using. One of the major ones is baked lighting and another one is a reflection probe. Baked lighting literally "bakes" Ray traced lighting into light maps (textures) which are then used to make areas darker or lighter. It costs nothing to render and as long as none of the lights move it looks just as good as Ray traced lighting. Reflection probes basically capture the scene from a general area in a 360 map and apply it to the object as color, creating "reflections" and tinting dynamic objects so they match the scene.

After that I think it's down to just having really efficient real time lighting calculations for dynamic lights.

The reason why laymen don't see the benefit to ray tracing in real time applications is because the industry had gotten so good at taking it that doing it for real isn't that noticeably different. However all the stuff I described requires work and render time, to bake out the lighting. With real time ray tracing it's a lot easier: just plop down the lights and they'll "just work".

So short answer: Star Citizen will probably look the same, real time ray tracing or not.

ggangensis posted:

I doubt that CIG has the know-how to properly integrate Raytracing into CryEngine 3. But okay, let's assume they give this task to a junior dev that reads up on this stuff and has some more-or-less workable solution ready to go in a year or so:

In true CIG fashion there will probably be one raytracing-enhanced puddle somewhere, where, when you look at it, get single-digit fps with an 2080ti. Citizens will of course be ecstatic, "Wow, look at this puddle! This has never been done before! Here, take my money!" since that`s the cycle of things.

Funny thing about cryengine and raytracing

https://www.cryengine.com/news/view/how-we-made-neon-noir-ray-traced-reflections-in-cryengine-and-more

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Okay but does Star Citizen have tressFX????

Where Star Citizen is going* we don't need TressFX

*nowhere

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

"You don't know how much he gets paid, maybe he can afford the mansion"

YEAH DUDE THAT'S THE PROBLEM

trickle down economics work for games too!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rugganovich posted:

As an original backer who hasn't left, in my defense, I think I'm still in shock.

I'm afraid the worst kind of electricity can have that effect.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

jarlywarly posted:

The rumour with Warcraft is that it was going to be a Warhammer fantasy licenced game and Games Workshop pulled out so they redid the lore aspects.

not a rumor, blizzard admitted in an interview a few years back that they were trying for it. you can even recolor some of the units (wolves to boars, for example) to see just how much they based on it

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

not a rumor, blizzard admitted in an interview a few years back that they were trying for it. you can even recolor some of the units (wolves to boars, for example) to see just how much they based on it

I never knew this but it makes sense. Cool fact

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Reading all of the 'game melts when I show it to people' posts on the sub, and the noob car crash experiences, it seems like there's a pretty common theme.

Try and play it as an MMO and it goes all triangles...

:shepspends: posted:

Each patch me and one of my friends play for a few days pretty heavily. If there aren't that many bugs, we invite our friends that are on the fence about the game. Without fail the bugs are magnified. After doing this a few times I think it is because of two things

-Adding more players to a group increases the odds that someone finds a bug but more importantly

-Adding more players to a ship or general area increases the odds of a bug.

This last time we struggled through a 10 hr session of crashes and bugs and deaths etc. Finally, for the last couple hours, we had been separated enough that we needed to take 3 separate ships and rally up somewhere. We figured we would do separate delivery missions and share them among each other to profit. It was the most bug free experience our 4 person group had ever had.

That being said, for the time being, when we play in big groups it'll be spread out over several ships instead of everyone in one.

:stwoon: posted:

I just bought my first starter package a few hours ago and came to reddit to see what other new players have been experiencing.

I was hoping that it was just really bad luck on my part, but my experience sounds very similar to OP's. I spent around 7 hours trying to do one mission and never even finished getting to the rendezvous. Well, technically I did make it once, but the server booted me the instant I got there.

I died to an elevator twice. I'm pretty sure this is because the particular hangar elevators I had to take were on a rail path straight through other building geometries.

I got stuck on a tram that decided to stop working.

I had to restart after a major blurry graphical glitch that obscured everything.

I experienced 6 full server disconnections and a few instances where menus and doors stopped working for about 10 minutes. I know this isn't client side because it happened to my friends too.

I also died from someone barely bumping into me.

In combination with simply not knowing keys, abilities, and the station layout, it was a good 7 hour experience of pure problems, including about an hour and a half trying to figure out how to sell a tiny little green present I found.

I'm hoping that the server crashing is as rare as you say they are, because it was happening a LOT today. Now I'm just trying to successfully get off this planet and homed on another because a lot of my issues might be associated with the location itself. Not sure it's name, lots of yellow worker themed stuff.

So in all, I don't think he's the unluckiest player. Two friends and I went through the same thing, and I'm not sure someone's issue-free experience really accounts to any relevance on the matter.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pixelate posted:

Reading all of the 'game melts when I show it to people' posts on the sub, and the noob car crash experiences, it seems like there's a pretty common theme.

Try and play it as an MMO and it goes all triangles...

the replies inevitably are "idk works on my machine :)"

quote:

Finally got time to check out 3.8, so purged USER, verfied, and go.

First, spawn at Lorville. Everyone standing, framerate atrocious (6700k+1070 SLI, low teens). Sky flickers. Managed to board the train, crash to desktop.

Restart, try to continue, just spinning circle, and nothing happens for 20 minutes. Close, purge USER, verify, try again.

Start at Grim Hex, circle again. Kill game, kill USER, restart, start at Olisar. Framerate again atrocious, everyone standing. managed to select ship, but when walking away from terminal, crash to desktop. Rejoin failed (spinning circle).

Two more tries, using different zoned servers, virtually the same, can't rejoin, crash always before I get to airlock.

Next day, managed to get to the pad at Olisar, but framerate suddenly went down from 40 to 2-3. After minute or two, game crashed, still can't rejoin.

quote:

I call bullshit.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 1, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Microtech: City of Razors

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Maybe the building is literally mirrored and the logo is correct on the other side of it. That sounds like typical CIG to me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

going through controversial on reddit and 95% of posts are from people that dare say anything about how poo poo the game is right now. naturally, all the hot posts are either dumb screenshots of an empty planet or happy new year messages

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

going through controversial on reddit and 95% of posts are from people that dare say anything about how poo poo the game is right now. naturally, all the hot posts are either dumb screenshots of an empty planet or happy new year messages

This is the way

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Moved to #Concern

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:toot:

:homebrew:

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I'm confused and horrified by the people talking about 7 HOUR and 10 HOUR long bug-riddled sessions full of crashes! What's wrong with these people?

I was somewhat recently playing one of the quite old Call of Duty games and my Russian buddy apparently got stuck on a gate somewhere so the game couldn't make him show up and open a critical door to progress.
After checking online that this was a known bug and that the only workaround is restarting the level I promptly quit the game, uninstalled it, and just read what happens in the remainder of the campaign (there were only 1.5 levels left at that point).

I don't have time to waste on game-breaking bugs, but apparently there are people out there with a spare 10 hours to spend on this?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Twerk really really wants this game to happen and be good. He can be critical and when he is, he seems like he has his eyes open, but then he always bounces back to being hopeful, no matter how many things CIG screw up.

I keep waiting for the point where he tips over the edge, but i'm not sure it will ever happen. He wants the dream to happen so much.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Fidelitious posted:

I'm confused and horrified by the people talking about 7 HOUR and 10 HOUR long bug-riddled sessions full of crashes! What's wrong with these people?

I was somewhat recently playing one of the quite old Call of Duty games and my Russian buddy apparently got stuck on a gate somewhere so the game couldn't make him show up and open a critical door to progress.
After checking online that this was a known bug and that the only workaround is restarting the level I promptly quit the game, uninstalled it, and just read what happens in the remainder of the campaign (there were only 1.5 levels left at that point).

I don't have time to waste on game-breaking bugs, but apparently there are people out there with a spare 10 hours to spend on this?
Considering incessant praise of the game coming from the cultists, perhaps they are led to believe that bugfree fun gameplay is hidden somewhere, they just need to endure for a bit longer and they will finally discover it. Because all those cultists having fun (taking screenshots of their chariots) can't be wrong, right?

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

A whole city made of vaping gear. Clouds, bro. Clouds.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

There are a bunch of different sub-groups of backers. Even among the cult there are mega-whales who almost never play the game and just buy space ships and dream, then there are people who dropped a few hundred bucks here and there who actually day in and day out try to play the game and make some sort of progress.

I guess what keeps them going is a combo of being part of group that plays the game, wanting to keep up a facade that the game has a large and vibrant community playing it, desperation to prove to themselves and others that the game actually has content and is fun, and just pure self-hatred. Gamers are a strange lot and they sometimes continually subject themselves to games that are horribly and aggressively boring and broken; I mean there is still a large community playing Fallout 76.

The group that actually plays Star Citizen regularly though, tends to be comparatively realistic about its state and prospects just through shear attrition. They’re usually the ones demanding that CIG actually fix the horrid bugs and jank that has been in the PU for years. But like the rest of the cult, they preface every criticism with a profession of faith in the holy progress and that Chris Roberts will someday deliver them the BDSSE.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

colonelwest posted:

The group that actually plays Star Citizen regularly though, tends to be comparatively realistic about its state and prospects just through shear attrition. They’re usually the ones demanding that CIG actually fix the horrid bugs and jank that has been in the PU for years. But like the rest of the cult, they preface every criticism with a profession of faith in the holy progress and that Chris Roberts will someday deliver them the BDSSE.

oh man you should see ingame chat.
people mention bugs and share their frustration and Citizens tell them to gently caress off and such

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inacio posted:

oh man you should see ingame chat.
people mention bugs and share their frustration and Citizens tell them to gently caress off and such

I can imagine it goes something like this:

Backer 1: Man, SC is awesome. Best game ever, so much to do! I'm having so much fun.
Backer 2: Yeah, this is awesome, i'm having the time of my life.
Backer 3: Guys, i've crashed to desktop 5 times in the last hour, it has its problems.
Backers 1 and 2: ITS ALPHA! Maybe this game isn't for you! You don't understand software development!

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Fidelitious posted:

I'm pretty sure a lot of these guys have battered wife syndrome. They think they play the game wrong, their PC has issues or it is just bad luck the server crashed or a bug appears. They see all the screenshots from people having obviously fun, reading about "flight nights" and witness how much fun Rex has in his streams, so it must be their fault, right?
I think people actually playing the game on a regular basis are off the worst. They did not only waste money but also a lot of time, lying to themselves. I think the backers just buying spaceships and theorycrafting are ultimately way happier.

ggangensis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 1, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can barely stand to play a game I like for 7 hours straight

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Star Citizen: kill game, kill USER, restart

Rex's pretend roleplaying streams are great because they're the embodiment of reddit posting. He's turning dreams.txt into dreams.mp4 despite the game trying to thwart him at every turn. I don't know how many streamers got their Calders paycheck but Rex is definitely earning his.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Pixelate posted:

I also died from someone barely bumping into me.

More lethal than binding of isaac.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Afaik CIG is on CryEngine 3 (initial release oct. 2009), which might explain this:

quote:

From 2015 CRYENGINE has used a form of ray tracing for our in-house GI solution, Total Illumination, used in shipped titles like Kingdom Come: Deliverance and our very own Hunt: Showdown. Until now, one of the limitations of CRYENGINE’s GI solution was the level of detail in real-time reflections.

There was some picture showing when Lumberyard was branched off and where Star Citizen stands, but I`am pretty sure they are stuck on a version without Raytracing features. Can't find the picture, though.
In a way CIG can be happy that the general pace of graphics development seems to have slowed down quite a bit compared to the 90s, this buys Chris some time.
I remember the passage from Masters of Doom where Romero saw the colored lighting in Quake 2 which convinced him an engine change was necessary. Those fundamental industry changing improvements won't happen to Chris, so he is just concerned with crossing off bullet points. Some half-assed raytracing implementation is enough for them. The Vulkan renderer they talked about? Just put in some implementation that`s worse than the D3D one, just so he can say they have it. Business as usual in SC-land.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

precision posted:

Star Citizen: I'm not a game developer

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
Even if the game launched, I'm not sure how they can design the whole lifetime insurance on buying ships to work as a game play concept.

If the cost of buying a new ship without insurance is low, the people who spent $10,000 will complain it was for nothing.

If the cost is high, it will create a warped game scenario, where some players can suicide their ship repeatedly at virtually no cost, while others its a huge cost.

I mean, i guess its not a big concern if the game will never actually launch, but eh..

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:reddit: God help the poor bug smashers coming to this after the holidays.. 760 bug reports in the past week alone xD

:reddit: 3170 bug reports in the past month.. im actually happy to see ppl reporting bugs there than here. Im sure there are duplicates since ppl wont bother searching..

:v: When you are asking people to pay to test your game .. You get what you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

I read these testimonials about Star Citizen and it makes me want to play the game. I'm trying to figure out what they are experiencing that I'm missing from 7 - 8 years of gameplay or cinema footage.