Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

What a twist. I guess as long as Squadron 42 isn't released, there isn't a reason to sue them lol

Lol this has me curious, what could have been found on discovery that would want crater to dismiss the case monetarily and have CIG spooked enough that they wouldn’t want it to be dismissed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lol this has me curious, what could have been found on discovery that would want crater to dismiss the case monetarily and have CIG spooked enough that they wouldn’t want it to be dismissed

Squadron 42 doesn't actually exist? :v:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Daztek posted:

:hmmyes:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mu77ley posted:

Phoenix Point is actually extremely good.

It's a worse version of the xcom remake missing quite a few promised features and the devs are complete assholes who broke Kickstarter promises then told their backers to deal with it.

But at least they did deliver a game so I don't think Phoenix Point deserves to be called a failure.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cripes, that court doc was actually a good read.

But holy hell, if it doesn't get dismissed, the new court date just got pushed out 4 more months into October.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Kikas posted:

Well then they will loving never get sued lol

:gary:

Add this to the pile of reasons why SQ53 won't see the light of day. I mean, what do citizens want to do about it? "Listen Chris, we don't buy new ships if you don't get your act together"? Yeah, sure. In reality, they will buy more, that's how insane this whole thing became.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

:reddit: Your guess of "2-3 years" is... interesting, when there is a public roadmap available.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

They want to achieve beta (mostly feature complete, only adding content and polish) by Q3 this year. From there, expecting another 1-2.25 years seems too much.

Saw this on the games subreddit, when I saw there was a thread about the lawsuit I went to the comments expecting the Citizen Defense Brigade and sure enough there they were.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Inacio posted:

Saw this on the games subreddit, when I saw there was a thread about the lawsuit I went to the comments expecting the Citizen Defense Brigade and sure enough there they were.

This is also one of the reasons this whole projects deserves to die rather sooner than later. I mean, sure, other games also have annoying fanboys, but Citizens see the development of their "dream" in danger if too much bad press leads to the dry up of money. So they feel it's their holy duty to defend SC, lie about it and lure other people in to do "their" part. It's disgusting and needs to stop.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Inacio posted:

lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Xarbala posted:

Even Crytek knows there ain't no blood in this stone

pack it in goonfailures :c00lbutt:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

To me, this confirms why Skadden bowed out. I suspect that they had gotten CIG to settle out of court. Crytek said no we want to ruin them. Skadden saw something like this as likely and pushed back. Crytek wanted blood. Skadden said gently caress off we only want cases we can win. Crytek gets a new firm that's willing to squeeze the stone for them. Oops that new firm runs into something that might keep them from winning. Here we are

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

:reddit: This thread is posted by known SC detractor and hater, he posted it both of the /r/sc_refunds hate subreddit created for ridiculing and hating the project, its developers and the community as well as here, simultaneously.

/r/sc_redunds haters are known for spreading misinformation about Star Citizen, the developers and the community everywhere they can. Almost ALL Star Citizen threads on /r/games have been historically posted by /r/sc_refunds people.

Take the information OP is providing with a huge grain of salt as it's totally biased.

:allears:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Love these guys. I think they would argue against something they actually hold true if it was posted by a goon/skeptic/refundian.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Daztek posted:

An actual lawyer(tm) on Twitter was speculating that the lawsuit hinges on Squadron 42 being released, and discovery has turned up evidence from CIG indicating Squadron 42 isn't going to be released for "years", if ever.

But this is good for Star Citizen I'm sure.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

For some reason, this comparison (and notably the logical extension where those companies actually manage to turn a net profit as opposed to CI¬G's desperate need for ever greater whales and investors and other non-backing sources) reminded me of this old gem from Conspiracy of Fools:

History repeats itself…

It's neither. Nothing CI¬G does is particularly challenging, and definitely not innovative. I've posted this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating here as well to illustrate what a small team of not-particularly-senior competent developers can create, and how they've managed to solve a large portion of the huge stumbling blocks for SC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0

That Enron quote is great. I believe the issue was compunded with the fact that the E in EBITDA was inflated thanks to the "mark to market" make believe accountancy of the time.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Daztek posted:

What a twist. I guess as long as Squadron 42 isn't released, there isn't a reason to sue them lol

This would explain the complete lack of news about SQ42 progress. CIG now wants the current suit to continue, loving :laffo: at everything!

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 3, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Der Shovel posted:

An actual lawyer(tm) on Twitter was speculating that the lawsuit hinges on Squadron 42 being released, and discovery has turned up evidence from CIG indicating Squadron 42 isn't going to be released for "years", if ever.

That was my read as well.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Wouldn't that be good for CIG though? Why would they fight to keep the case going? Or is their issue just the "without prejudice" part when they want it gone forever

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Sankis posted:

Wouldn't that be good for CIG though? Why would they fight to keep the case going? Or is their issue just the "without prejudice" part when they want it gone forever

Because something about the way the case is currently articulated will cause them to win as long as SQ42 doesn't come out. This is loving hilarious - SQ42 isn't just delayed because CIG can't make it, it's also intentionally delayed due to the nuts and bolts of the current lawsuit.

Crytek: You can't make two games!
CIG: Joke's on you! We're only making one!
Cytek: Nooooooo! (loses lawsuit)
CIG: Yay! (Makes second game.)

Notice how NOTHING of SQ42 was showed this year?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Scruffpuff posted:

heh, WRONG, non-believer! they showed a video of some art assets and a t-posing alien!
checkmate, fudster!

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Der Shovel posted:

But this is good for Star Citizen I'm sure.

Cue in SC/SQ42 remaining in early access, alpha or beta forever. All the while monetizing it? Not that this kind of strategy is new to them though.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

After years of fighting tooth and nail to dismiss they are now fighting to have it thrashed out ?!?

You just can't make this poo poo up it's that unbelievable.

*Crytek lose on the grounds they are developing no games

*Also don't they know CIG dropped the G?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

So that's why SQ54 wasn't mentioned at all during Citconned. :D

If CI`g release any version including beta/alpha/whatever of SQ54 then they are in the poo poo, but if they don't release anything then they are in the poo poo. Glad to see them finally having to eat that poo poo sandwich, without the bread.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jan 3, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

How many millions deep are they on SQ42 anyway? I’m gonna guess at least 50(ish) millions.

Also weren’t the British tax credits dependent on SQ42?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Scruffpuff posted:

Because something about the way the case is currently articulated will cause them to win as long as SQ42 doesn't come out. This is loving hilarious - SQ42 isn't just delayed because CIG can't make it, it's also intentionally delayed due to the nuts and bolts of the current lawsuit.

Crytek: You can't make two games!
CIG: Joke's on you! We're only making one!
Cytek: Nooooooo! (loses lawsuit)
CIG: Yay! (Makes second game.)

At the same time though I think that's what he's (the reddit guy) speculating on that crytek will always keep the threat of the lawsuit around and if sq42 was to ever release then the full force of the lawyers would spring into action. So either due to the lawsuit or that cig really hasn't made anything at all, sq42 is likely never to release.

But back our kickstarter for Formation 65 of the Galaxy People universe! Now made with no corruption and all money goes to development and not fighting lawsuits.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is legit hilarious.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

MedicineHut posted:

Cue in SC/SQ42 remaining in early access, alpha or beta forever. All the while monetizing it? Not that this kind of strategy is new to them though.

Apparently being released in any shape or form be that alpha, early access or whatever, counts for loving CIG over. They had a license to build and release one game, and I don't think a court's going to be bowled over by arguments of "well it's not RELEASED RELEASED, it's still version 0.99991235156123b not 1.0".

So I dunno. I guess we're never seeing Squadron 42 now, and ol' Hairy Roberts has a built in excuse: "if we release it, they shut down the company. So sorry, we did our best and the game was amazing but now we can never show it to you".

Or "we have to start all over with a new engine, so development of Squadron 42 starts in 2019, gonna be 6-7 years, pledge now we need your money".

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

How many millions deep are they on SQ42 anyway? I’m gonna guess at least 50(ish) millions.

Also weren’t the British tax credits dependent on SQ42?

It's gotta be wayyyy higher than 50, all that mo-cap, all those studio rentals, the reshoots, business class plane tickets for the team to the Ima-inarium.

The tax credits were dependant on SQ54 last time I looked. :D

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Same for the Calders investment right?

All depending on SQ42?

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

This is legit hilarious.

Forty Seconded.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This is some legit funny poo poo I tell you what.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

MarcusSA posted:

Same for the Calders investment right?

All depending on SQ42?

They did say it was for "marketing" relating to SQ42. :D

No matter which way it goes now, it's going to bite deeply, might explain why CR was all "This is, well, this is the end" at Citconned. :D

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Star Citizen is the grift that keeps on giving.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A strange game. The only winning move is to never answer the call

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
SQ2020 engine change and Epic Games release please.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Epic Games release would be so sweet.

Also CIG probably want the lawsuit settled because if the court rules they can release SQ54, it makes them more attractive for investment. "Yeah we're releasing a game but we might get sued as soon as we do" isn't a good investment look.

Crytek is probably in the right here at least on the motion though. The court is likely to rule you can't sue someone because they're going to do something and dismiss the case without prejudice, with instructions to refile later. Especially since the court doesn't appear to want to issue and injunction.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I somehow get the feeling that development of this space pew pew game is not running as it should

marumaru
May 20, 2013

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Bofast posted:

Are you talking about The Titanic? :ohdear:

To be fair Titanic only squatted once and that didn't turn out to well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQiOA7euaYA&t=45s