Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I am also thinking to scrap the Emeril base wholesale and use the materials to just push forward the Indium base and make it sustain a 24 hours work cycle... Or I should just keep it as a secondary income source (the Emeril base is also on solar panels and batteries, and it's annoying to come in when it's powered off but I don't care about fixing that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I built the exocraft station as part of a quest line and found the thing undriveable. Controls make no sense to me and don't seem to be remappable.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

limaCAT posted:

I am also thinking to scrap the Emeril base wholesale and use the materials to just push forward the Indium base and make it sustain a 24 hours work cycle... Or I should just keep it as a secondary income source (the Emeril base is also on solar panels and batteries, and it's annoying to come in when it's powered off but I don't care about fixing that)

I've found that a base I can check check once a day and collect everything without feeling the pull to go back while I'm off doing other stuff is the best, but YMMV.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Thanks for the tips, not able to make chlorine yet but I've been able to sell off a ton of copper and such since the planet I have my bases on is covered in the stuff.

Grabbed a cool class b explorer for cheap too. Strapped some rocket launchers to it too. Excited to get a frigate eventually too.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I don't understand when I am talking to Nada or Polo I get a 'choice' of questions. I can't ask both? There is no reason not to be able to ask both, they are usually completely separate.

Also I have a med refiner that tends to lose its items if I leave the area. Have lost millions in it so far, any fix for it?

I guess this is partially made up by the hundreds of salvaged data that shows up in my personal refiner, but still.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I just got a freighter and a couple extra ships but 2 of the ships have disappeared! Are they gone for good?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Elblanco posted:

So I just got a freighter and a couple extra ships but 2 of the ships have disappeared! Are they gone for good?

Did you build the room and send them out on a mission? When they return, you need to check that room first to debrief them.
In the bridge room there is a round console, where the mission dude is, one part lets you check out your frigates and see what their status is.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Elblanco posted:

If you mean frigates that follow your freighter around, talk to the guy standing to the left of the center console on your frieghter's bridge.

If you mean starships, then just pull up the sub-menu (where your recharge icon is) and summon them. They will only show up in your freighter's hangar after you have warped somewhere new.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

blarzgh posted:

If you mean frigates that follow your freighter around, talk to the guy standing to the left of the center console on your frieghter's bridge.

If you mean starships, then just pull up the sub-menu (where your recharge icon is) and summon them. They will only show up in your freighter's hangar after you have warped somewhere new.

I figured that second part out after thinking I lost 2 ships, one being a class a fighter I found. I didnt know I could summon other star ships with the sub menu though. Thank you!

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
All these community events with creations and things I'm seeing for a galaxy hub, is that only on creative difficulty, or are there groups that do that on normal?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

OgNar posted:

Not sure what was going on here, not a camera trick or anything.
This dude was just huge.

It's a glitch that's been in the game since multiplayer has been in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Now that we can upgrade any ship to 48+21 inventory slots, is there any reason in the endgame to have a hauler anymore aside from liking the look of them?

I see the benefit of keeping around a fully equipped fighter and explorer, since nothing else has their damage and hyperdrive bonuses, respectively, but for haulers the shield bonus is shared by the exotics, which don't handle like a shopping cart and do more damage to boot.

I've got a fighter and an explorer with max modules in case I need to do something specific, and then exotics with 48 free inventory slots for bumming around, and want to make sure that I'm not missing something.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Haulers have a bonus to shield strength, I think. Maybe also hull?

It's like fighters have a bonus to weapons and explorers to jump range.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

The shield strength bonus on haulers is the same as the shield strength bonus on exotics (55-60% at S-class), while having significantly higher damage bonus (10-20% for S-class haulers vs. 35-50% for exotics) and maneuverability (~150 for hauler vs. ~400 for exotics).

Point taken on the hull bonus, it does seem like haulers have a lot more of it, though I can't seem to find that in specific documentation. I'd venture that the extra damage and maneuverability bonuses outweigh it in practice, no matter how much more a hauler has though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The first time I took my new hauler out for a flight, I crashed into the station when coming back. The sudden sluggishness compared to my other ships took me totally by surprise.

So yeah, haulers aren't really maneuverability personified :v:

Edit:

It looks like after so many patches and changes, haulers now definitely need an update to be more than just eye candy and hangar queens.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Azathoth posted:

Now that we can upgrade any ship to 48+21 inventory slots, is there any reason in the endgame to have a hauler anymore aside from liking the look of them?

because get everything

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

sigher posted:

It's a glitch that's been in the game since multiplayer has been in.

I always believed those were VR players whose height was misconfigured and/or not being recognized properly but never confirmed it.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

I always believed those were VR players whose height was misconfigured and/or not being recognized properly but never confirmed it.

nah, its happened to me and a friend who are both on console, neither with VR

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's way more intense in VR to see that.

Stare-Out posted:

Ran into someone twice the size of everyone else on the Nexus.

https://i.imgur.com/L4Qrgzn.mp4

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

runspeed melee/reload glitch

Just found this and tried it.
Its a little hard to get the hang of but its insanely fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiCOcacDq0I

Make sure your health is up as you take damage from crap you are running in to.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What the gently caress. I knew about the melee + timed jetpack trick, but that's absurd.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Happy New Year, thread!

Now that 2020 has begun, I went through my screenshot-folders and made a best of list from what I was doing August-December 2019.

It'll probably take me multiple posts to get through to this, but what the hell, here we go:

Merry Nadhor's Digital Journal, Block III: Weird Creatures, Entry 678: "The Hexastego isn't that bad, really. I expected it to attack me, but instead it screamed like a little baby and ran away. Not exactly a mighty hunter."

Water planets like this one are super-frustrating. To experience their deep, dark oceans, you have to find something sticking out of the water first. You'd think a super-space ship of the far away super-future would be capable of handling a little bit of water, but no. Landing underwater is not possible. So expect a lot of island hunting when trying to land.

Number of water planets I couldn't land on because of lack of land: 2 (so far)

It's a fish swimming in shoals and it's cold on the planet. It's also a pun on cold shoulder. Get it????!?

My old yellow Viper in a dust storm.

Another ship-in-a-storm-pic. This time, some adorable animals inspect my ship while I'm slowly freezing to death next to them.

This planet was astonishingly friendly. A bit warm, but that's what a space suit is for.

This freighter replaced my first and lovely one, the Yellow Submarine. I only had this one for a couple of days before getting an even better one I decided to keep for good.

This maneuver is called "Crossing the T" in military circles.

One of the many, many tiny resource extraction bases I keep building. Well, kept. Nowadays I only need more farming domes, as I now can extract basically everything I need for my crafting operation. I also learned a lot by building all those boxes, so my newer bases tend to look a lot better. Well, they still look mighty utilitarian, but a lot less insane crazy person.

Along the way through the year, I got myself an Atlas pass lvl. 2 and eventually even a lvl. 3. This here is hidden in some operating centers. You can break through with the lvl. 2 pass. Now if I could only manage to get a remembrance...

Somehow I managed to completely forgot what I've learned here. But nice screenshot, eh?

More weird super-cooled water.

And that's it for now. Don't want to clutter the thread with one single massive picture post.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Azathoth posted:

I've found that a base I can check check once a day and collect everything without feeling the pull to go back while I'm off doing other stuff is the best, but YMMV.

In the end I dismantled the Emeril base because I found a gold / oxygen / em spot on a mechanical planet, and on top of it the creatures there drop goo when they die. I also dismantled the oxygen base. I need the gold for refining platinum, which I will refine into nanites.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Is there any need to get an S freighter over my B, does it do anything more or allow more missions for my fleet.
If not i'm just sticking with what i've got.

I also finally figured out that my fleet gets upgraded. I seem to have more Bs than I had before. Which is sweet.

The other day I was in search of a ship upgrade and I came across a fighter A37+11 but after saving again in comes an S29+5 which was far cooler looking but had much less upgrade-able space for slightly more damage.
And 5 mins later in comes an exotic but its only 20+6 and no room to upgrade.
Over all I think I may stick with the A37+11 which is bigger than my ball hauler thats only B30+5.

Also, saw this which is the coolest exotic i've seen, and probably lands a lot quicker than the one I have now because the pointy part thats down needs to flip up every time.

Love to find me one of these to buy.

e: also its seem that while you can only have 3 upgrades for jetpack, You can have 3 in Tech AND regular inventory. I have jetpack for days now. Though it may have declining values. The 3rd(6th) doesnt seem to give me much more over the 2nd(5th).

OgNar fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 2, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The freighter grade only affects how far you can warp, so if you're not always warping the absolute max towards the centre of the galaxy then no.

Also, you can take every single ship up to 40 full slots even if its slot display doesn't appear like you can. I bought this guy at 16 slots:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

The freighter grade only affects how far you can warp, so if you're not always warping the absolute max towards the centre of the galaxy then no.

Also, you can take every single ship up to 40 full slots even if its slot display doesn't appear like you can. I bought this guy at 16 slots:

I thought that white borderline was the max?? Can you add another 13 slots if you wanted?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, even the tiny explorer I bought for cheap and upgraded to B got to 40 slots easily. The slot display essentially expands if you upgrade the class. I think if I scrounge up the 25k nanites for an upgrade to A, I'll may be even able to expand to the full 48 (though I haven't tried this yet).

By the way, I've been building my first underwater-base and it went swimmingly until I reached the water surface. For some dumb reason the game didn't allow me to build another underwater room at the very edge, since a tiny speck would have reached above water. So I built two standard room atop each other instead and connected them with ladders to my dumb underwater-tower.

Now the lower normal room is completely dry, even though it's completely submerged and the one on top is only halfway out of the water and it and its attached tunnels are also halfway filled with water. Magical water, since going down a level via ladder makes it disappear again. Apparently normal rooms are a bit lower vertically and smooshing two together made them even shorter.

Anyway, is there something I can do to keep the water out except ripping the upper levels apart and extending the entire tower another level upwards?

Edit:

I have no idea if that's the only way to do this, but I worked around this problem by ripping the upper structure of my base apart again, adding another room to stack the tower higher, then re-built the top one level higher. Now the upper structure is dry and only that weird one room at the very edge of the surface is half-filled with water. In case some visitors come by who don't want to take a bath when going down the dozen or so ladders through the tower, I've added a short-range teleporter. This way everyone who gets annoyed by that one weird room can just teleport past it!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 3, 2020

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

So I finished the Atlas and main storyline, i'm in the next galaxy, I made the remembrance which needed a heart of the sun.
But now i'm getting Atlas missions again and the first one requires the heart of the sun, do I need to craft the long chain of items to get there again or is the mission just not letting go? One of the many bugs in this.

Also I decided to upgrade my fighter S29+5 to a S48+14.
Mainly because its very Star Warsy, it even has a R2D2 on the wing.

e: Once I started buying and scrapping ships, its like they wouldn't stop coming, I gained over 20 inventory upgrades and only lost about 20mil and that was probably only because I took a few B class ships.
I probably would have gained units if I just stuck to S and A.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 3, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

No, it's basically just stuck in the last phase of the quest and never goes away. Completing it again gives you nothing and you can't get rid of it, and every now and then it will helpfully hijack your galaxy map to point out the nearest Atlas station and default to that path because you haven't finished the quest.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

OgNar posted:

I thought that white borderline was the max?? Can you add another 13 slots if you wanted?

The maximum number of slots is dependent upon the class of the ship. If you've got an early ship that is B class, it can only be upgraded to (I think) 40 slots.

However, if you spend nanites to upgrade the class to A or S class, you can then upgrade further. At S class, any ship can have the full 48 inventory slots and 21 technology slots.

The interface will not make this obvious, and I don't think the game actually tells you this anywhere, but I have taken a B class to an S class because I liked the model and didn't want to spend time doing save reload bullshit to get an A or S class.

Also, I would highly recommend not spending straight units to add slots. Instead, use the nanites farming guide from a couple pages back, since if you have the units to buy slots, you have the units to do that.

That process will give you storage augmentation items that you can trade in for a free inventory slots, and it's a strict one to one, so that upgrade that costs 200 mil for a single slot only costs 1 upgrade item. The game also isn't stingy with them. All my ships are maxed out and I've got like 60 sitting in a storage container gathering dust.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

Yeah I started with an S and just deconstructed Ss As and some Bs to get inventory slots. I did my fighter because this exotic plain doesn't look like it can be upgraded, the fighter at least had a grey area that looked like you could add more room. This just looks like it can't, but i'm keeping it for when I get some more, just in case.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I've upgraded 3 exotics to 48+21, including one of that body type (though your model is way cooler :mad:).

I would definitely go and try to upgrade it. I don't remember how the white line looked when I did it, but I was definitely able to do so.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Yo I have almost the exact same ship, just in a different color!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Yo I have almost the exact same ship, just in a different color!

I see those sometimes. But I always have this weird feeling that the shield-thingies are put on the wings the wrong way around, so I never bought one.

Anyway! Time fore more :siren: screenshots! :siren:

Weird planets No. 404: This time, I forgot what that one was called. I think it was a scaled planet?

This is my fully operational death star, sorry I mean my fully upgraded exotic. The planet is a skeleton planet. And yes, that's a thing in NMS, apparently. Very spooky.

Yes, I've read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and no, I won't put a slug with teeth in my ear you dumb game

The radioactive dinosaur planet. Alas, I missed the chance to name it something Godzilla-related.

The same planet. And thanks to being dumb as gently caress, I somehow missed all the giant dinosaurs roaming the land with this screenshot.

Another shot of my exotic.

Experiments in base building. Later I started just ignoring that dumb base building computer, instead of trying to construct around it.

I love how the game always tries to spawn your ship inside your base if you use a teleporter. Landing pads are the only cure for this deranged behavior. NMS really wants your bases to have one!

Terrain is also a nemesis of mine. Sometimes, structures I've built just fill back up with terrain, sometimes that never happens, ever. For some reason not blasting the terrain with your terrain blaster and instead directly placing elements seems to work better.

OK, seems I forgot this was still before I added three more slots. And then forgot that I stopped at 40 inventory slots because I really didn't need any more slots for this ship.

Especially as I went nuts with tech slots. As I'm not fighting that often, I decided later to grow and prepare an explorer ship for just flying around and put this boondoggle with its 5000 exotic weapons into storage again.

My current main base for refining and crafting (also storage, I've put 9 storage containers into the base).

The wiring is also much improved from my earlier attempts!

This huge planting tray was basically a first experiment in farming.

But I like biodomes a lot more! Which is why I just continued building them. (Later I realized I need a shitton more of certain plants for my crafting, so now I tend put down a couple biodomes in new bases just to keep up with the insane amount of raw materials my industrial bases spit out daily. It's not going well. I am bad at planning.)

To close this post of, here's another certified Weird Planet

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I haven't seen a planet like the last pic yet.
I also have a base on a planet with giant dinos and crabs.
A little too brown and stormy for my tastes to stay on though.

During my Waterworld missions I came across some of these which I normally have only seen on those weird metal planets. Didn't see them anywhere on the bits of land there, just these few underwater. And they weren't scanable or even showed up under the visor.

At the moment I am trying to find a good beach spot on a waterworld to make a dual land/sea base.
Seems impossible to find a beach spot with a good energy node.
And Solar has been borking out on me, when I visit bases to snag minerals I seem to be out of solar power where I should have more than enough panels/batteries.
Not always, but just after logging in.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My latest base is right next to an Abyssal Horror. The thing is just quietly sleeping between some of those armored clams. Now that I uploaded my mad tower construction I'm wondering how many visitors to that base will step out, take a swim and manage to stumble over it

Edit:

By sheer coincidence I managed to look straight at it as it started to sleepily open its eye. I backpedaled out of there asap, as I wasn't in the mood to become sea monster snack food

Edit2:

And right now I'm dealing with a crashed freighter surrounded by at least three predator-species who live on extracted bone marrow. Regardless of how many I shoot, the pests keep coming back. You won't get my bone marrow! Shoo! :mad:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Love seeing these bases, and so in the spirit of the thread, I figure I'd share my two most recent creations:

The first is the final version of my farm:

I start in what is the lower right corner and finish in the upper left. Each row is about how much I can sprint, so I just jam down the E key and run the length, then recharge while I'm harvesting the last pod in the row and the first pod of the next one, which conveniently allows me to set up the next sprint. It takes me 9 minutes to harvest everything and 8 more minutes to craft 220 million units worth of Liquid Explosive. Thanks to the folks here who convinced me to do this setup, rather than try to have more plants in each one and be harder to harvest. It definitely pays off in efficiency.

My next base was also inspired by the thread here. After seeing a comment about an activated indium hotspot being a solid alternative to my farm, I wanted to see what would be better in practice. I also wanted to construct a little underwater base, mostly for aesthetic reasons, but also because I hadn't done one before, so I decided to see if I could combine the two.

I scouted for a planet with both activated indium and water, which didn't have a normally harmful atmosphere, storms aside, and sentinels that don't attack on sight. After a bit, I found one that met the criteria and I built a little test base near a class C deposit, just to see how stuff would work in practice. The absolute hands-off nature is really nice and after the experience of building the base, I don't think I needed to be quite so picky about planets, which is good to know for next time. However, because I already had a good planet, I set off finding an S class activated indium deposit close to the shoreline.

I couldn't find one in range of a power hotspot as well, so I settled for this location. The screenshot is hard to make out because it's always raining on this drat planet, but there's a set of 56 mineral extractors over the hotspot at the very top. The central tower contains all of the batteries and solar power panels. It uses 3100 kP vs 11550 kP for the farm, so it wasn't hard to keep them all contained within a single tower. The four side towers contain all of the supply depots. I could have just sprawled all this out on the ground, but that none of it is lined up properly bugs the poo poo out of me so I put them on simple concrete platforms. I originally had them completely encased, but I like this look better.

A small hut is set up near the extractors for shelter (that superheated rainstorm is brutal) and an outbuilding with a linked landing pad contains a save point, a portal, and a place to sell the proceeds. The storage is sufficient for 25 hours of production and a full haul nets me 500 million units.

Also, I wish I knew why my ships consistently don't use landing pads when I port in. Like, they do occasionally, so I know that it's just not straight up broken, but here's a shot of my ship literally sitting underneath the drat pad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:allears:

Man, I wish I could do something like that, but if you look at my comparatively smaller base a couple posts up, just adding a second block with some refiners and storage units made my framerate tank something fierce. Looks like my PS4 starts choking long before I could build something that massive, which makes me kind of sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Aw yes Santa seems to have deposited > 9000 Salvaged Data into my personal refiner for Christmas! :woop:

e: nooooo they disappeared again. Oh well, still sold off a few hundred and unlocked tons of base parts

fourwood fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 4, 2020