Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

For hundreds of years, people have tried to use alchemy to turn things into gold, spurred on by tales such as King Midas turning everything he touched into the precious metal.

In the year 2020, one man continues this noble tradition but with a difference, with a deft grasp on the art of handwavium Christ Robblers has found a way to turn everything he massages, into hot dog poo poo.

More legal taxxe;

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I must admit I enjoy this particular state of quantum development superposition that SQ42 seems to be in.

The development is so open that multiple states can coexist at the same time. But looking at them creates interference.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Star posted:

No real thread on the suit, as far as I can see, on the SC Reddit. Seems strange to me, especially in light of these last twists.

There was one thread earlier with a moderate number of comments, but it mostly consisted of citizens celebrating that Crytec HAS NO CASE without understanding why.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: I see goons are still masturbating over useless court docs to ease their depression lol 90daysDoc is the new meme for 2020 lol

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

Which one of you idiots wants to die pointlessly in my Kenshi game?

Me me me ooh me ooh me

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

:reddit: I see goons are still masturbating over useless court docs to ease their depression lol 90daysDoc is the new meme for 2020 lol

Well, that betrays a certain misunderstanding of legal pleadings, but then these are people that preordered a videogame nearly a decade ago, so I guess it counts as logic?

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

There's a cash spaffing joke somewhere in there

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that leak about them folding sq42 into SC might be 100% real

Goddamn

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

Join us!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAgent posted:

Goddamn

Which kind of brings us back full circle to the original pitch which was you'd start off in the single player game and when you finished it you would enter the multiplayer world.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Didn't they at one point sell them seperately? Something like 45 bucks for SC, 45 bucks for SQ42, 60 bucks for both?

Or did they never went through with this? If they did, isn't that a pretty clear indicator that SQ42 is a standalone product?

Another thing that came to my mind yesterday: during CitCon, they said the worked eight months on the battlefield-clone no one asked for, which also didn't appear on any roadmap in the most open development ever, which they say is directly created from their internal kanban system. Isn't that roughly the time since when SQ42 progress basically totally stalled, and also roughly the time when the court case was accepted? :lol: if they stopped work on SQ42, shifted the ressources to create SOMETHING with all the assets while waiting to see what happens on the legal front against CryTek. Pure speculation of course, but to this day I can't fathom how they internally decided to work on that battlefield-clone.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

TheAgent posted:

Goddamn

Lol, was that a leak too? I came up with it just theory crafting in this thread.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Agony Aunt posted:

So, all those debates on whether CIG plan to release one or two games and how that go on, are in the end, all worthless, since CIG themselves claim they don't know. Ok, we know CIG will say whatever they need to say to wiggle out of commitments, but this is in a court statement, so its pretty official, even if internally they really have plans, but don't want to admit to that because it would hurt their case.

That's why it's IMO a good move for Crytek to put the lawsuit on the shelf until Roberts' bullshit superposition collapses and he is forced to release Squadron 42 in some form. Otherwise at the trial they'd just go "no good gosh we wouldn't release TWO separate games, they're totally the same game your honor" and then two years later just dump Squadron 42 out and get away with it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tuo posted:

Didn't they at one point sell them seperately? Something like 45 bucks for SC, 45 bucks for SQ42, 60 bucks for both?

No, they never sold any games - just pledges to find the most open development of a game or two or none in history.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

tuo posted:

Or did they never went through with this? If they did, isn't that a pretty clear indicator that SQ42 is a standalone product?

Another thing that came to my mind yesterday: during CitCon, they said the worked eight months on the battlefield-clone no one asked for, which also didn't appear on any roadmap in the most open development ever, which they say is directly created from their internal kanban system. Isn't that roughly the time since when SQ42 progress basically totally stalled, and also roughly the time when the court case was accepted? :lol: if they stopped work on SQ42, shifted the ressources to create SOMETHING with all the assets while waiting to see what happens on the legal front against CryTek. Pure speculation of course, but to this day I can't fathom how they internally decided to work on that battlefield-clone.

They did, which is pretty damning if they want to say they are selling it as a single game.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Goddamn

Re the $26 millions, wouldnt they then need to convince the UK authorities that the "updated" SC is still majorly developed and staffed in the UK? (costs, resources etc). I mean not sure how the tax man there would check but I suspect CIG would be forced to dislodge some of its US and Ger ressources and move or recreate them in the UK, at the very least.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn't one of the original promises for SQ42 that it would end with your character being transferred over to SC along with some extras you earned along the way? It'd be easy for CIG to spin the merger:

"This is the natural progression of SQ42's development; now you'll get to experience the game's rich and engaging story within SC, allowing for even greater immersion!"

...while simultaneously being able to pretend like there's been a lot of progress on it behind the scenes. I mean, there must be if they're making such drastic changes, right? It's just around the corner! Don't worry about the latest roadmap showing that a bunch of the game's content still doesn't exist...

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

Coutts still have the charge registered but the loan amount was zero at the year end after the Calders money came in.

How does that even work? (Is it just lag in the filings? Some caveat beyond the repayment that hasn't been fulfilled?)

shrach posted:

I've mentioned this several times in the past because it is one of the things I never understood. As part of the UK video game tax credit, Foundry 42 Ltd (as they were originally known) has already received ~$26m in tax credits on the premise that it is wholly responsible for a new separate game called Squadron 42. That tax credit is claiming that they spent $130m on the game Squadron 42 (since 20% tax credit = $26m).

If Crytek are going to focus on Squadron 42, it seems like they would want to go after a UK company in the UK courts, where the UK company has made claims to the UK authorities about the separate new game they claim to be essentially 100% responsible for.

All the wording in the current filings make it sounds like they want to be able to pick right up where they left off post SQ42 launch. Makes it sound like they're still thinking of keeping the US-side circus running at minimum.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
I"m beginning to think PC gaming will never be saved.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Dooguk posted:

There was never anything to save, PC gaming, outside of the AAA, is doing just fine.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Dooguk posted:

:ohdear: :suicide:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Dooguk posted:

But consoles won't know what hit them.

It'll be an invisible commando in his pants

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Bug interlude. This sounds way too ludicrous to be correct.

I ran into the most amazing bug in any game I have ever played posted:

Not sure when it started, but I noticed when I got into a ship that the UI wouldn't load any targets for me to jump to, and in mobiglass, none of the planets/satellites had names. It made quantum travel near impossible so I was stuck at olisar for the past few days.

Then, I decided to buy a new helmet , and saw my characters eyes were weird looking, not the purple ones I thought I had chosen. Upon close inspection I saw my character literally didn't have eyes, I just had two empty eye sockets. I then went back to customizing character and switched the eye color and now my character has eyes and all of my targets/ui is working correctly. I have never seen or heard of a game that mapped a players ui to their physical eyeballs.

TL;DR - Didn't have eyeballs so my player was blind.

This reply sounds even more ludicrous and untrue. But also like something CIG would do.

:eng99: posted:

Your eyeballs are bound to the fpv camera, and have been since the beginning.

e: oh god I want this one to be true

:coolspot: posted:

Had a similar issue when wearing the glasses in game, my screen was black. couldn't see anything at all. I exited the game and then could see again. Haven't had the issue again since I unequipped them.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 4, 2020

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I saw a video on youtube which went something like:

-5 minutes of circlejerking while a crew of five players slowly descended to an ice planet.
-10 minutes of flying around and "scanning" from some sort of laser turret. This process was made even more fidelitous by the snowstorm outside. Especially when the snow clipped through the hull of the ship and could be seen inside the cockpit.
-10 minutes of three guys breaking apart a rock with the laser.

Truly the greatest game of our time.

I saw that video!!!!!

It was the greatest thirty minutes of SC play I have ever seen!

said no one.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Pixelate posted:

How does that even work? (Is it just lag in the filings? Some caveat beyond the repayment that hasn't been fulfilled?)

I assume the loan has always been a flexible one, kind of like an overdraft facility. Since it is still available to them, the charge remains even though the current balance may be zero. Or yeah, no one remembered to file.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Agony Aunt posted:

Wow, this is hot court news.

The fact that they haven't actually switched over to to Lumberyard is a bit of a shock.

That face when Derek Smart was right...

:gary:

What should shock folks is just how many CIG employees repeated the lie for Chris over the course of several years. Brian Chambers deserves special commendation for his Best Dramatic Monologue performance on Batgirl all those years back.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol, was that a leak too? I came up with it just theory crafting in this thread.

Alas, Derek has been suggesting this as a fallback strategy for CIG since not after the lawsuit news broke.

At this point, I really think Chris is looking for any excuse to avoid having to release Squadron as a game. Not as a stand-alone, not as an SC module. It’s great as a tax fraud device, historic as a Hollywood / Gaming crossover story, and intoxicating as a theoretical for all the Wing Commander nostalgiacs our there.

So long as it continues in this abstracted, unrealized form, it’s absolutely perfect.

But realizing it as a modern AAA 2020 title is too heavy a lift. He’d rather just give it The Spirits Within treatment so the world can experience his “vision” but he can avoid having his Daikatana moment with the gaming press and public. That escape plan might’ve existed a couple years ago, but now Clive Calder owns a 10% stake in a half a billion dollar gaming company. Seems kinda like he’s obliged to deliver what he pitched at this point.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

G0RF posted:

That face when Derek Smart was right...

:gary:

What should shock folks is just how many CIG employees repeated the lie for Chris over the course of several years. Brian Chambers deserves special commendation for his Best Dramatic Monologue performance on Batgirl all those years back.

It baffled me when Chris said the switch to Lumberyard has taken them one or two days. This is absolutely impossible, even when they magically sat on the exact same CryEngine revision. Everyone that was involved in a larger software project at one point has to know that even in a best-case scenario there will be merge conflicts, unforeseen difficulties and such. Changing the complete foundation of such an enormous code base, even if identical or at least similar, costs a lot of time and effort.
However, my conclusion was wrong. I thought they switched, but it took them months and Chris just lied about the time to not piss of the backers with his wasteful management style. However, the backers believed him, praised him for the fast change and Derek was the only person actually calling him out for this bullshit claim.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

ErrEff posted:

Wasn't one of the original promises for SQ42 that it would end with your character being transferred over to SC along with some extras you earned along the way? It'd be easy for CIG to spin the merger:

Yeah I've read somewhere that there were to be 2 options for starting Star Citizen - either as an unwashed peasant with little to his name if you jump right in or an esteemed captain if the star fleet if you bother to go through Squadron 42 campaign. The latter was also supposed to get you a ship.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Kikas posted:

Yeah I've read somewhere that there were to be 2 options for starting Star Citizen - either as an unwashed peasant with little to his name if you jump right in or an esteemed captain if the star fleet if you bother to go through Squadron 42 campaign. The latter was also supposed to get you a ship.

Or you can buy loads of UEC...

Seems that current noobies are discovering the new aUEC cap though:

3.8 LIVE - NO DEFAULT STARTING AUEC

quote:

With the update to our LIVE alpha servers to patch 3.8, the current default starting aUEC for all players has been set to be a base of zero aUEC, plus any bonus UEC that is attributed directly to your RSI account. This means a player without any bonus starting aUEC, as indicated on their account balance on the website, will need to complete missions to begin earning a balance of money. While this is a big change from previous patches, this is not a bug and is not something that can be addressed by RSI support staff by request through a support ticket.

The sub is kind of arguing over whether the lack of starter pack UEC is a bug or not.

And sometimes just saying stuff like this:

:doom: posted:

I just started two days ago with the Aurora and found that any box "placed" on the floor behind the ship vanishes soon after takeoff. A buddy of mine had more success placing a cargo box on top of the cargo dingdong thing on the back of his mustang. Though at one point he did spontaneously explode. Not sure if that was related to the box or not.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Kikas posted:

I've always wanted to play as an unwashed peasant.
Star Peasant sounds awesome.
AAAA gaming at its finest.

Actually I hope SC goes F2P... hehe

PrimeNerd
Dec 17, 2016
Friendly reminder CI!G has had not one, but TWO (one not related to SQ42 but in my deepest dreams related to that stupid loving door) lawsuits filed against them and still haven't released SQ42.

Store Citizern is really Strike Commander: Electricboogaloo 2, We done Goofed.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

shrach posted:

I assume the loan has always been a flexible one, kind of like an overdraft facility. Since it is still available to them, the charge remains even though the current balance may be zero. Or yeah, no one remembered to file.

An open credit line would certainly be handy!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I liked how one of the stretch goals was to make their own mo-cap studio but as soon as Chris got the money, he raced off to a top Hollywood level facility to do it in.

Also, what I'm interested in for those who have followed this from the start. At the time of the Hollywood actors cast be announced, and Mae Demming Sandi Gardiner being announced in it as well. Where Chris and Sandi being open about their relationship?

Pretty sure they did both. They bought many dozens of high end DSLR cameras at one point, then later made a smaller studio for motion capturing tinier animations like things that don't require a full set.

When you're Chris Roberts though, you never require just the small affordable thing.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ggangensis posted:

It baffled me when Chris said the switch to Lumberyard has taken them one or two days. This is absolutely impossible, even when they magically sat on the exact same CryEngine revision. Everyone that was involved in a larger software project at one point has to know that even in a best-case scenario there will be merge conflicts, unforeseen difficulties and such. Changing the complete foundation of such an enormous code base, even if identical or at least similar, costs a lot of time and effort.
However, my conclusion was wrong. I thought they switched, but it took them months and Chris just lied about the time to not piss of the backers with his wasteful management style. However, the backers believed him, praised him for the fast change and Derek was the only person actually calling him out for this bullshit claim.

I think even the more fanatic fans understand that there was no physical change of the code at all. They just honest to god think that because CE and LY share most libraries the change only rightfully required a signed agreement.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Idiot promoting a liar, it’s :allears: The more money they all burn and lose, the more entertaining the aftermath will be after breaking all negative records in the history of game devel....:lol::lol::lol::lol: 😂 Yeah, the final letter of the chairman will be a future Meme forever.

The only question will be if the Roberts Clan earned more (number of) millions in Dollars than the game non-development took (number of) years after all is said and (not) done.
We already know the answer I guess.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016
I just want to take a moment to sit on my smug rear end throne and smile a little smile when I remember that I called this. I called it that all of SQ42 was dead and that it was the lawsuit that killed it. As long as this was being litigated, they would have to be suicidal to continue progress. Sure they might be making assets and things that some random goon on the internet who knows nothing about video game development can name, but production is production no matter what. But there is no way that they make a second game out of it all. Not when the GLA is crystal clear and code can be verified. After all these years it's going to be folded into the PU if ever and now I wonder what that does to all of the people that bought it as a standalone purchase? Goddamn Clownshoes Robberts a on incompetent loving fraud.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Dogeh posted:

Actually I hope SC goes F2P... hehe

It already is F2P = free to pay :smuggo:

Furthermore: The 60 Dollar for 2 AAAA games basically are a steal and free in that perspective . It is your entry fee so that you can board a capital ship and clean the closet of that Legatus pack commander
:yarg:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Or you can buy loads of UEC...

Seems that current noobies are discovering the new aUEC cap though:

3.8 LIVE - NO DEFAULT STARTING AUEC

Peasants. They should use referrals to get starting credits and spend more to ensure they can actually make a decent start after a wipe. Let them eat cake.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt posted:

Peasants. They should use referrals to get starting credits and spend more to ensure they can actually make a decent start after a wipe. Let them eat cake.

I think the referral creds aren't turning up either. But I figure it's their problem, so haven't dug any further.

They should probably just save up for the money printing ship anyway. Bound to be one of those sold soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
PCGamesN: Crytek pretty sure Squadron 42 won’t be coming out this year

NEWSWEEK: 'STAR CITIZEN' LAWSUIT UPDATE SUGGESTS 'SQUADRON 42' RELEASE DATE NOT SOON